BigJack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

NE way to build legs without squats

Yeah I'm sure you read that and thought "what a stupid newbie". Well the fact is I have squatted for the last 15 years and my knees can't take it any more. I have tried higher reps with lower weight to no avail. Actually just about everything hurts my knees these days. I make sure I warm them up well but the next few days after I train are brutal. I feel like I'm 90. I've tried a few glucosamine/condritin products with no effect. Should I just quit working out?

Kiwikid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Never give up......Ive had ostiarthritis for a number of years in both knees like you squats are painful...I gave them away a couple of years ago.....My leg routine is hardcore leg extensions 5 sets, leg press 5 sets, hack squats 5 sets (sissy quats dont go as low)...If you can get heavy knee straps when doing hack squats....Eat good protein and you will grow...Good Luck

Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Don't quit squatting, as we age Squats are one of the most benificial exercises for bone density and overall muscle mass. You might want to try knee wraps, I used them for pain management after a left knee ACL replacement and several right knee Authroscopic surgeries. In fact I have no ACL in my right knee and contine tu run, squat and dead-lift. You might also want to avoid squatting for a month or so and do leg ext, leg curls, leg press's and front squats to give the knees a break and build up the surrounding support area's.

man of leisure has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) man of leisure has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) man of leisure has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) man of leisure has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) man of leisure has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) man of leisure has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) man of leisure has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) man of leisure has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) man of leisure has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) man of leisure has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) man of leisure has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I agree with Capt. america. Try very hard not to give up squatting. Have you tried flax oil ? That can help joint pain too. Another alternative is to try Dumbbell sumo squats. I occasionally do them when my back is sore. I'm not sure how they would be with sore knees but they are an awesome workout. High reps are key with them though IMO.

jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Heya BigJack,
    Squats are definitely a good thing, but I can understand not being able to do them anymore. My back sometimes gives me trouble, and squats don't agree with it when it's in that state. I've found that lunges, even doing them without weight, are a good way to strengthen the knees and keep building your legs and glutes during those times. Leg extensions and leg curls can also be very helpful for the knees. The supporting muscles around the knee joints will strengthen with time and care. A good protein supplement will help, and flax seed oil has proven beneficial to a lot of folks. I've gotten some great results with a Glucosamine-MSM regimen, complimented by L-Glutamine. Just take it slow, be patient with yourself, and work your knees slowly and steadily; think of the tortoise winning the race rather than the hare. Whatever you do, don't give up!

Good luck!
    jag

mikevalentine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikevalentine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikevalentine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikevalentine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Both my knees are messed up, multiple ops on each along with Polio when I was a kid from knee down on right side. Rather than take time off on squats I change up to the Smith machine and lower weight and increase reps. Keep the weight down also on the 45%. I have not had luck on leg ext as these seem to place more stress on the stabilizer muscles along with the knee joint.
    After a week or three, squat to see where your at.

Good Luck!!

Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    My last college weightlifting instructor had very bad knees from osteoporosis but kept up her leg extensions, leg presses and squats. The disease ran in her family and her mother was nearly invalided with it. However, the instructor found early on (and why she went into Physical Ed) was the exercise did help eminsely. She was a role model for the rest of us with or without this problem.

I have age related osteoarthritis in my shoulders and lower back. The heavy strength routine, I was doing, has kept the surrounding area stronger with less pain.

20 rep squats revival! Pilgrim BB's Avatar
    Pilgrim BB will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pilgrim BB will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pilgrim BB will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pilgrim BB will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pilgrim BB will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pilgrim BB will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pilgrim BB will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pilgrim BB will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pilgrim BB will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pilgrim BB will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pilgrim BB will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Big Jack,

Hi there. Sounds like you may have been squatting too heavy too young.

I'd recommend taking a few weeks off leg work to rest your knees.

Try taking supplements to help the joints like Glucosamine Sulphate and Cod Liver oil caps.

Squats are definitely the best exercise but second best is deadlifts and it could be that you have to switch to these, but don't give up on the king of exercises just yet!

A
    My old journal 'Pilgrim's Progress' [url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=461738[/url]

My Scottish 'Stone-Lifting' thread [url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=454558[/url]

'For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.' 2 Timothy 1.7

'And Joshua said unto them...take ye up every man of you a stone upon his shoulder.' Joshua 4:5