Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000)

Week 138 :: How Can You Create An Effective Home Gym On A Budget?

------------------------------------------------------------
    * Note: How can I win? 1. Answer all questions in the order that they are asked. 2. Go over reviews (located at the bottom of past TOTW articles) and see what was said about those that did not win. Good Luck!
    ------------------------------------------------------------

TOPIC: How Can You Create An Effective Home Gym On A Budget?

For the week of: September 5th - September 11th
    Tuesday @ Midnight Is The Final Cut (Mountain Time, US & Canada).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Due to lack of time, distance from a health club, or hectic work hours not everyone is able to train at a commercial gym. Building a home gym can help solve this problem.

How can you create an effective home gym on a budget?

Which type of exercise equipment should one buy if they are limited on space?

What is the biggest advantage and drawback to having a home gym compared to having a membership?

BONUS QUESTION: Do you have a home gym? If so, what does it consist of? If not, would you consider one?

-------------------------------------------------------------

* New Rule (beginning: June 1st, 2006): Any exercise not listed on our exercise listing (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm) must be accompanied by a full and complete description and pictures (or a link to the exercise(s) where pictures and description are given).

Thanks.

Don't discuss any other topic in this section. ONLY discuss the question above.

The best response will get $75 in credit to use in our online store! The other good responses will be used in an article on the main Bodybuilding.com site, with the poster's forum name listed by it. Become famous!

Thanks,
    Will
    Webmaster
    Bodybuilding.com
    twitter.com/i_am_the_goat

HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I think the first consideration is where to put it. It has to be a dedicated space. If you have 300 sq. ft would be sufficent. You need few if any distractions. Your home life cannot invade you gym. Otherwise you bars become clothes hangers and you gym a storage shed.
    Music is a must, it's a small room so think small.
    Finally, the floor. droppin' a deadlift on the carpet makes for unhappy home owners. An 8x8 platform can be made with 4 sheets of plywood and 16 2x6s and a boat load of screws.

The key here is that everything has to be multi-use. If your just starting and aren't very strong (i.e bench under 300) you don't need a killer bench setup.

First, a squat rack is a must. It must also have a pin setup of some kind for safety. If the rack has someplace for chinups all the better.Second is an adjustable bench. incline/flat/decline and straight up is all you need.

Bars and weights. These can be bought online either used or new. Buy what you need. Think budget first, I want, I want last. 1 bar - 400lbs of steel.
    Dumbbells - from your lowest curl weight to your highest shoulder press weight is a good start.

Bands and chains are a cheap way to add pounds and they take very little space. adding a medicine ball and ab wheel for ab work are pretty good as well.
    Total cost les than $1000. with money to spare.

This part is equally important avoid ALL multi attachment benches. They tend to be not very supportive, cheaply made and the attachment sites are a hazard. Bowflex suck too BTW. also forget powerblock DBs they aren't worth the $$$ and are a hazard in there own right.

What is the biggest advantage and drawback to having a home gym compared to having a membership?
    The biggest problem is staying motivated. Getting in there and getting a workout done. That is the hardest part. You have to be committed to training. It is easy to find 1000s of excuses not to train.
    also you don't have all the machines etc so you have to be inventive.
    The advantage - no nimrods to deal with. no hack trainers or wannabes to get in your way.

BONUS QUESTION: Do you have a home gym? If so, what does it consist of? If not, would you consider one?
    I currently have a very nice gym in my garage that is about 400 sq.ft. It has a simple squat rack, 600lbs of steel, DBs from 20-70lbs. I have a GHR machine, steel log, farmers walk handles, I'm getting a serious bench setup (I'm hitting close to 400+). I also have 170lbs of chains, lots of bands, boxes for squatting, several different bars.
    I've spend 3 yrs building this gym up and my powerlifting work is finally paying off. I've added 175lbs to my squat, 100 to my bench and 125 to my deadlift since late 2003. I still mostly train alone and I like it that way.

timmlee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

home gyms

i have a smith machine a lat machine and about 600 lbs of weight
    dumbells and sit up board not having to put up with stupid people in a commercial gym priceless we should post some pics of are home gym's

BEQ one has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BEQ one has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BEQ one has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BEQ one has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BEQ one has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BEQ one has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BEQ one has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BEQ one has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BEQ one has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BEQ one has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BEQ one has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I say the best way to go is a reasonably priced bench press with a quad extension. A barbell with weights up to 100 or more. Finally a nice set of dumbbells. Finally a pull up bar. That's all on a budget and will come close to around $200 if you shop smart
    (ಠ_ಠ)( ۞_۟۞) ┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

ذربايجان ديلیMISC VIGILANTEذربايجان ديلی

Secret rep trading threads are secret.

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ The Misc. Mid Rollers ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

BuckVincent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuckVincent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuckVincent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuckVincent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuckVincent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuckVincent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuckVincent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuckVincent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuckVincent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuckVincent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuckVincent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How to build a home gym on a budget.

- Look at your home, and look at what space is available. You dont want a teeny tiny room you can only fit a treadmill in. Many people use their garages or basements as gym areas.

- Have it on the ground level, or lowest level of the house so you dont bother your Spouse and/or Children. The weights and the music can make alot of unwanted noise.

- Figure out what exercises you perform at a commercial gym, that way you can figure out the free weight alternative to that exercise. Machines are not needed in a home gym, and seeing as this is a budget gym, you probably cant afford one.

- Get a power rack. A power rack allows you to do Squats, Bench Press, Pull ups, Shrugs, and many more Exercises. They also allow you to do heavier weight and/or let you go to failure. The only downside is that you have to unrack the weight to get the bar back up. It also allows for less space to be used.

- An adjustable bench can be very useful, not only for chest workouts but for abdominal work outs as well. You will need one that does Incline/Decline/Flat/Military very effectively.

- Olympic bar and olympic weights to match. You will need about 250-300 lbs to start, depending on how strong your squats are.If you can squat 400, then get 450 lbs in weight. Try gauge your weight by doing 50+ lbs of your 1 rm max on your strongest lift.

- Adjustable Dumb bells are a blessing, and since you are lifting by yourself it doesnt matter how long it takes you to change them, becuase noone is waiting on you. Try to get 10 lbs lower then your lowest dumb bell lift, and 10 lbs higher then your strongest one. That way you are able to do drop sets with them, and also have a way to use heavier weight when you are getting stronger.

- Invest in some medicine balls/mediballs/etc. These are inexpensive ways to target areas such as your abdominals. You can also inadvertently target your abs by doing dumb bell pull overs on a Mediball.

- If you like to do cardio inside, then buy a treadmill.

I workout at home, and I have to say I love it. I can turn my music up as load as I want, I can lock the world out. No interruptions.

Advantages-

Peace
    You can focus on your workout
    You run it, you can do what you please, when you please, as you please

Disadvantages-
    No spotter. Sometimes working out and having someone to talk to isnt always that bad. Its only bad when your partner isnt pumped, and is causing you to waste time. Other then that, Power rack is the way to go.

You dont have all the machines at your hands, sometimes that seems to make it difficult. The key is to research, and I guarantee that you can do all those movements with free weights.

Thats all I can really think of. Have fun, and enjoy your new gym.
    Last edited by BuckVincent; 09-07-2007 at 08:32 PM.

Registered User Beastinthemakin's Avatar
    Beastinthemakin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Beastinthemakin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Beastinthemakin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Beastinthemakin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Beastinthemakin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Beastinthemakin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Beastinthemakin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Beastinthemakin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Beastinthemakin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Beastinthemakin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Beastinthemakin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Well, first of all you have to determine what kind of goals you wish to accomplish having a home gym. You will not need any major equipment if you are just trying to stay in shape. On the other hand you can still have a effective gym trying to go further down the fitness line.

Next, you have to establish a budget, and everyone knows most equipment is not cheap so its bet to get equipment that can have multiple uses. This solution saves space, and money which are essential in creating a home gym.

If you are limited on space you are going to have to conisder using machine weights, even though they are not always the best option. Machine weights normally offer a variety of exercises on one apparatus, which means you can achieve many more goals.However keeping things simple may allow you to take up as little space as possible while usin free weights. Having an adjustable squat rack allows for customiztion to fit your needs. Adding a adjustble bench to this allows you to combine the most common free weight exercises such as the bench, incline, squat, military press, ect. This approach alllows you to do simple compound exercises for gains.Variations of most lifts can be achieved by using a dumbell system and your home as well.As you progress, or if you feel more supplmentation is needed you can add fancy machines, and more weight if you so happen to find space.But i would be sure to add a stationary bike for some type of warm up/ down. These machines take up a small amount of space and are more effective at burning calories according to most studies.

One of the biggest advantages of having a home gym is that you do not have to wait to use equipment.Which to many burns up a time they don't have.Second, focus becomes better, because weights are not always banging, and you can listen to the musci that fuels your adrenalin the most. Plus, my favorite is you save on gas money, and the drudgery of driving to and from the gym especially if there is traffic.Lastly you dont have to pay monthly fees along with contracts like a phone service.

Now there are plenty of downsides as well. For example if you are happening to be working out alone at your home, and you so happen to have some type of muscle tear, well then you have a big problem. Second, maintenance is a pain in the glutes. You have to contiually monitor inventory. Which includes cleaning all the equipment, and trying to maintain a rust free enviroment.The biggest problem though is at a gym, the machines and gizmos are endless, and you can use them at any time. A home gym tends to be more concrete to the same workout.After that, it come down to funding. No equipment is cheap. Infact the longer it needs to last the more it cost. Therefore you will proabably spend more money starting a home gym then going to a local gym for a couple of years.

Currently, I play football so no i do not have a standard home gym. I have a few machines and free weights here and there, but nothing to extensive. However, if I did have the money to build a gym, that could satisfy my needs then i would place high consideration into making one. As for right now, I will stick to the local gym.
    Bulking to 230 to play defensive end at texas tech.

dizi24 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizi24 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizi24 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizi24 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizi24 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizi24 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizi24 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizi24 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizi24 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizi24 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dizi24 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

The most important goal in building a home gym is efficiency, both cost and space wise. Thus, it is important to find as few piece of equipment that will allow you to do as many exercises as possible.

Also, one should consider what they truly want in a home gym. If you're simply looking for a way to get in shape, this can be done for almost nothing. Instead of buy fancy cardio equipment, do your running outside, or buy a bike which can last you for years. Things like pushups and situps can be done without expense, and adding a pullup bar for about $30 can make for a very effective workout.

So as you can see, if you're just looking to get into shape, it can be done with almost no money.

However, if you're into bodybuilding and wish to get bigger or stronger, it's naturally going to cost more money. Home gyms can be done effectively and without a ton of expenses. Still, they are going to require a decent amount of money, so think through whether it makes sense for you to buy a home gym. It might cost more money for a home gym, but if you're gym is out of the way, the convience might mean it makes more sense to get a home gym.

The type of gym I'm outlining is more for someone who wants to get into a strength/bodybuilding type of training. That being said, lets look at the type of equipment you need

The first and the most important is likely the power cage. Having built a home gym in my own home, I can't stress how important they are. I'm able to use it for squats, deadlifts, olympic lifts, rows, bench presses, pullups, over head presses, pretty much everything you could think of.

While I am not attempting to endorse this product, something like this will work perfectly:

http://www.dazadi.com/product_initia...source=froogle

Next, a weight set and bar is the next most important thing. This can be very expensive, but you can get a 300 pound set like this for under a couple hundred:

http://www.cozycook.com/kitchen-1197...earch%2BEngine

Finally, an ajustable weight bench is the final thing you need for this. I've had one that cost a little over $100, and with proper care, has lasted me over 6 years. Something like this will do fine:

http://www.mercantila.com/catalog/st...Bench-_-833496

Now, well maintaned, this set here can provide you many years. Like I've said, the bench has lasted over 6 years, and the power cage and bar set have been with me for three years, and still show no signs of wearing. Investing in a couple rags and some disenfectent spray can help the equipment from wearing down over time.

This set right here, which will alow you to do almost any exercise. Best of all, by doing stuff like bench press in the power cage, you can set the bars low enough so that they will act like a spotter (which I can tell you, I've used more than once).

Also, you can invest in a few dumbells, or a couple parralel dips bars, and still keep this under $1000.

Now if you're wondering if a $1000 is worth it for a home gym, I can tell you it deffinetly is. A gym membership of $25 a month adds up to $900 in just three years. And that doesn't even include things like gas money or any other fees associated with a gym. And best of all, having a gym in your own home is so much more convienent.

Obviously, one of the biggest advantages is the ability to work out any time you want, and not have to travel to get to your gym. Between waiting for equipment, dealing with people talking to you, and traveling, you can easily add 45 minutes to your workout time. If you're time stressed like me, this can be too much time to waste.

Furthermore, being at your home can deffinetly help a person who is inexperienced. Going to gym and being slow, out of shape, and weak can certainly be embarrasing. At your own home, you never have to worry about people judging you.

There are a few downsides though. First off, some people enjoy a gym enviroment, where they can talk with fellow gym members or be around similarly minded people.

Then of course there is a safety issue, of injuring yourself while there is no one around you. However, keeping a phone near you while you workout can solve this.

I do of course own one and it only consists of the stuff above. I highly recomend it.

top_secret07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hi to everyone who read this. If u want to keep in shape and you don’t have enough money then also you can get the home gym but less equipped like me who do all the workout at home.
    By the way for that you need some place where you can do your workouts.
    1. You will need a Long Bar sum what 5 ft long in which you can increase or decrease the weight.
    2. You will need a Bench in which you can perform incline, decline, Flat & leg extension(this is optional)
    3. You need adjustable dumbbells in which u can increase or decrease the weight.
    4. You need a pull-ups bar
    5. Sum weights (I have 150 pounds)
    If you don’t have bench then you can do Dips and Surya Namaskar(hindu dips), It will give u a nice chest. And you can do flat bench press but with less weight lying on the floor.
    For leg squat what I do is I just tell my brother to sit on my shoulder and I perform the leg squat.
    The big advantage of this is I don’t need to go to gym and I m free from jealous by seeing other person who is more well build then me. I can concentrate more on my body parts to do the workout properly and it also save my time.The most of all It saves my money which i have to spend for the gym.
    The drawback is that I have to adjust the plates and have to perform the workouts which can be done by dumbbells and bar or body weights.Less Equiped. and dont have a trainer to train have to become my own trainer.
    Last edited by top_secret07; 09-10-2007 at 05:22 AM.

Terd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Terd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Terd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Terd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Terd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Terd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Terd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Terd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Terd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Terd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Terd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Exclamation

Don't do it...!!!

Home Gyms rarely work out...!!!

It might start out good but it gets very boring walk'n into that room by yourself & trying to get a productive workout...!!!

You need the atmosphere of a real gym.

If you do it,... I predict within 6 months you will have some very expensive, heavy duty, clothes hangers in that room with a few cobwebs hang'n around.

Good Luck

poppinmycollar will become famous soon enough. (+50) poppinmycollar will become famous soon enough. (+50) poppinmycollar will become famous soon enough. (+50) poppinmycollar will become famous soon enough. (+50) poppinmycollar will become famous soon enough. (+50) poppinmycollar will become famous soon enough. (+50) poppinmycollar will become famous soon enough. (+50) poppinmycollar will become famous soon enough. (+50) poppinmycollar will become famous soon enough. (+50) poppinmycollar will become famous soon enough. (+50) poppinmycollar will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    my entry
    Attached Files
    Sparta
    Misc. Pirate #45

VietHulk4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    VietHulk4 entry...

Mindstorm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

To create a home gym on a budget isn't hard if you know how and where to start. First thing is you need a dedicated place to put your equipment. If you don't have that then you will just spend money and your equipment will end up in a closet or in a corner somewhere. If you have a basement, garage, extra room, or a small storage building outside then you are off to a good start.
    Next thing you need is the equipment, you can start at local sporting good stores. Most of these stores have olympic weight sets that come with a olympic bar and 300lbs of weight for $100.00 to $150.00. Also people buy equipment all the time and never use it so you can find great deals on new and used equipment from your local newspaper ads and garage sales.

You are going to need several items to get your home gym started. Weights, Weight bench, and Dumbbells.

One of the best items you can purchase and is almost a must if you are working out alone is a power rack. You will need an adjustable bench if you go with the power rack they start from $100.00. Power racks start around $300.00 + but it is well worth the money.
    Another good item to have in a home gym is a smith machine. A smith machine usually cost a little more than a power rack but is a nice item to have if you are working out alone.
    The good thing with power racks and smith machines is you can usually add attachments to them. As in cable attachments and/or dip attachments.

If the power rack or smith machine isn't in your budget you can get an olympic bench. They usually start around $100.00.

I suggest the 300lbs olympic weight set. 300lbs doesn't seem like much weight but if you are setting up a home gym for the first time it is a good start and you can always add more weight plates.

There are several different types of dumbbells and dumbbell bars. The cheapest ones are usually the threaded dumbbell handles. You will need some standard weights for these handles. The con with the threaded handles is you have to make sure they are tightened after every set.
    The hex dumbbells are a good investment, they cost a little more but they are worth it. You can start with a light weight dumbbells like 10s,15s,20s,30s, ext.. and purchase more at a later time until you finish off your set.

I would avoid the multi-system home gyms. Most of the time with these you will spend more money on poorly made items then you would spend on quality items.

The advantage with a home gym you don't have a monthly membership fee. You can workout anytime of the day or night you want to. You don't have to drive anywhere. You can listen to whatever you want. You don't have people distracting you while you work out. You don't have to wait to use the equipment.

The drawback is you don't have all the machines and equipment that a gym does. You also don't have people to spot and motivate you. If you are new to working out then you don't have support to help with your form or workout programs.

Yes I have a nice home gym that is in a room in my basement. It consist of 600lbs of olympic weights, 200lbs of standard weights, a smith machine with a cable system, a power rack, pullup bar, a treadmill and a tanning bed.

Xtrainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Xtrainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

My submission

Here it is

randommagic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) randommagic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) randommagic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) randommagic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) randommagic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Here is my entry. Good luck everyone.
    Attached Files

xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xucardsfan08 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    My entry:
    Attached Files

scobo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scobo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scobo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scobo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scobo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scobo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scobo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scobo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scobo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scobo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scobo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hmmmmmmmm
    HOLD MY BEER AND WATCH THIS SH!T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

urakwyjibo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) urakwyjibo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) urakwyjibo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) urakwyjibo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) urakwyjibo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) urakwyjibo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) urakwyjibo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) urakwyjibo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) urakwyjibo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) urakwyjibo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    gyms are nice but definitely not necessary. it is nice to have a place separate from your home so your mindset is in the right place and focused on doing the workout, rather than just feeling like you're out in your garage and just around the corner from your couch. but exercise is free, gyms are just a luxury that have lots of equipment that can be useful but aren't necessary by any means.
    my "home gym" consists of just a few pieces of equipment i've collected over about 2-3 years. i have a single pair of 45lb kettlebells, a jump rope, and i built a pair of parallettes out of pvc for maybe 40 bucks of materials. all way cheaper than going out and buying yourself hundreds of dollars of equipment and racks and what not. bodyweight is plenty to train with, in fact i am discovering it is helping me make gains when i started to plateau in the gym with weights (i do belong to an ok company gym). there are so many exercises you can do with just your bodyweight and either 1) nothing else at all or 2) a simple, often cheap piece of equipment, and there are exercises for all sorts of strength levels. i'm somewhat strong, 6'3 218 with max bench 325, dead 515, squat high so far is 275x4 (don't laugh i was one of those guys who was lazy about doing legs for a very long time and i'm trying to fix that) and i'm finding even beginner gymnastics type strength skills very difficult and great for my strength. of course i do still lift ordinary weights at the gym where i go to, and it's nice to get variety, but really exercise is as cheap as you want it to be even at a moderately high level. the internet can tell you exercises to do with your simple equipment or bodyweight for free

UaPhckaHoryJit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) UaPhckaHoryJit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) UaPhckaHoryJit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) UaPhckaHoryJit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) UaPhckaHoryJit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) UaPhckaHoryJit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) UaPhckaHoryJit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) UaPhckaHoryJit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) UaPhckaHoryJit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) UaPhckaHoryJit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    buy a squat rack & bench with a leg extension unit

Mudman29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Here's one for ya, I got put on house arrest for a few months so I cant go to the gym- otherwise that would be my first choice. But since I cant Im bringing the gym to me. I have very very limited space and low ceilings. What suggestion do yall have. Im thinking a dumbell set with a range of plates that can provide me with two 50lb dumbells, down to a 10lb set. I dont need every increment in between maybe 25lb and 40lb so I can have a few options. Also an adjustable bench, with a long bar and some plate weights to get from 250lb down. A squat rack would be nice but with the low ceiling and limited space not an option. Im basically limited to free weight workouts. Also consider this equipment is only going to be used for a few months then I can go back to my local gym, so I dont want to invest too much cash in this. At which time Ill probably give the equipment to my younger brother or will put it in storage. Whats your thoughts? I considerd the bowflex adjustable dumbells but the cost is a bit rediculous, and they feel cheap. I want to find a set where I can buy a few plates and two bars: a regular bench bar and two short dumbell bars, then use the plate set to get the desired weight I need.

janiman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    It gets very boring to do gym at home. When i,m doing exercise in a gym and look at professional and good bodybuilders, a stream of power comes in me and i do more hard work. In other words i get motivated by looking at them.

emsirrin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

I like having a home gym, I can workout at any time I want. A lot of times I am pressed for time and I can get a pretty solid workout in 30 minutes or so.

It doesn't hurt that I found a bunch of those old weights made from concrete in the woods (I work in the woods a lot) with a bar so I don't have much invested in my gym
    I use the pain to push me to greatness.

dcsalihussain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Create An Effective Home Gym to increase the physical activity of the body...

GYMONFIRE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    work in parks.

wannabecool7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Parks are good!

Mkk89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mkk89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just have a bench whih works incline decline and flat, and a pull up bar.
    I have two dumbells, and an ez bar.
    I have weights which are 6*10kgs, 8*5 kgs , 4*2.5 kgs and 4*1.25 kgs.

I think these are enough to work out everything. Cost me 100$ the bench, 20$ bar, 20$ ez bar, 15$ dumbells, and 200$ weights.thats about 350$.. Using them for 10 months now, so its like 35$/month of gym membership till now, and its still going down

Plus, i like to workout alone..i dont have motivation issues..and dont like socializing much!!
    Last edited by Mkk89; 08-23-2013 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Forgot to write:

evelinahagopian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) evelinahagopian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) evelinahagopian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) evelinahagopian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) evelinahagopian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) evelinahagopian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) evelinahagopian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) evelinahagopian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) evelinahagopian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) evelinahagopian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) evelinahagopian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I have a twister at home. My mum doesn't use it so she gave it to me. I ave treadmill that I got from a friend. She doesn't use t so she gave t to me.

marcusbondi will become famous soon enough. (+50) marcusbondi will become famous soon enough. (+50) marcusbondi will become famous soon enough. (+50) marcusbondi will become famous soon enough. (+50) marcusbondi will become famous soon enough. (+50) marcusbondi will become famous soon enough. (+50) marcusbondi will become famous soon enough. (+50) marcusbondi will become famous soon enough. (+50) marcusbondi will become famous soon enough. (+50) marcusbondi will become famous soon enough. (+50) marcusbondi will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    A pull up bar is the best single piece of equipment - cheap too!

linkinpa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good post. Thank info

avionsuelp is a name known to all. (+5000) avionsuelp is a name known to all. (+5000) avionsuelp is a name known to all. (+5000) avionsuelp is a name known to all. (+5000) avionsuelp is a name known to all. (+5000) avionsuelp is a name known to all. (+5000) avionsuelp is a name known to all. (+5000) avionsuelp is a name known to all. (+5000) avionsuelp is a name known to all. (+5000) avionsuelp is a name known to all. (+5000) avionsuelp is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Having a few things at home like plates and maybe a few dumbells and other sorts of weights for say warming up or on days you really dont want to miss but might have to is essential. But having a gym at home may get boring, You may be only competing with the man in the mirror but it just seems as if the atmosphere of an actual gym gets more relief. no matter how expensive or cheap your membership is, itll always be cheaper then buying your own equiptment.

db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000) db2012 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Craigslist for discounted equipment. Utilize home space (spare room, garage, basement). Include cheap but effective small space equipment such as adjustable high quality bands with a base to hook. I had a solid home gym in Detroit before I moved to CA. Not exactly something you ship, time to start again one day.
    *Muscle-Tech & Vitargo Sponsored*
    - www.ApexDiets.com - Online Personal Training - Designing Customized Workouts, Diets, Meal Plans, Cardio, Core, and Supplement routines with Unlimited Support since 2002
    - Email: Dave@ApexContestPrep.com