MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleGainer is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Should I get a trainer?

I never had a trainer except 1 time when I had a fitness assessment done and I took 2 courses in weight training in College but in the first course the teacher only taught us how to use the machines the first class and told us the we need a spotter for free weights and didn't teach us free weights. I got alot of my knowlege for training and diet from this website. I've looked at magazines and read on how to do exercises. I'm making gains in muscle and strength. I already have a program that I set up myself and know what exercises do what. The only reason I was considering one is because I want one to watch my form and tell me if it looks good and maybe as a spotter but the problems are the high price and I don't want him to choose what exercises I have to do and I don't want to do everything on machines.

murdock_ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murdock_ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murdock_ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murdock_ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murdock_ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murdock_ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murdock_ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murdock_ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murdock_ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murdock_ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murdock_ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    well if u can afford one, do it, u can only gain something from it. and you're paying him/her... so u dont HAVE to do what they tell you. However.. if i were you, and you know what ur talking about, find a lifting partner. they can push u just as much as a trainer and they dont cost as much haha GL

Consistency + Knowledge BodySculpting's Avatar
    BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by MuscleGainer
    I never had a trainer except 1 time when I had a fitness assessment done and I took 2 courses in weight training in College but in the first course the teacher only taught us how to use the machines the first class and told us the we need a spotter for free weights and didn't teach us free weights. I got alot of my knowlege for training and diet from this website. I've looked at magazines and read on how to do exercises. I'm making gains in muscle and strength. I already have a program that I set up myself and know what exercises do what. The only reason I was considering one is because I want one to watch my form and tell me if it looks good and maybe as a spotter but the problems are the high price and I don't want him to choose what exercises I have to do and I don't want to do everything on machines.
    If you already have a program and only want a trainer to be there, I don't see the purpose. I am not too fond of personal trainers, so my opinion is a bit biased, but they can give you ridicoulous advice sometimes. If I were you, I would keep reading (not from this site or magazines, buy some bodybuilding books) and learn on my own. Work on your form with light weight.

A good and HONEST book is The Bodysculpting Bible by Hugo Rivera.
    "The only way out of hell, is through it. "

I sleep on a meathook iron_on_my_mind's Avatar
    iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yes, if you can afford it and can find the right kind (ISSA educated and certified) then you'll have a better chance of making it a worthwhile decision. Beware of getting ripped off. No respectable program should cost you more than $100-200, diet plan not included (which might be $100 or so.) DO NOT go in for the guy charging hourly so he can stand beside you while you train. lol.

I have a trainer, a good friend of mine, very reputable. My plan cost $100 CDN. Worth every damn penny. BUT . . . I came in with alot of knowledge. I gave him my list of exercises. He asked me to provide my age, weight, goals, full medical profile (had to get a full physical.) I told him I'd take care of the diet myself. Based on what I gave him, he took about a week and a half to perform the required research, and under his company name he provided me with a solid plan. I had to sign a legal waiver, and I was off to the races. That's it. If I need anything more, I go see him. I see him often, since I get my supplements from him. One of the finest people I know. Sure as hell beats trial-and-error crap that might have you doing it wrong for months (if not years.)

I got lucky. Alot of people just get screwed. So, tread carefully.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    imho - no - you can get all the advice you need here (hell, for $8 you can buy my book and be 500x further ahead than if you had a trainer )
    <->

getnbig_33 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    No dude dont get one. try to get a good training partner first. there are planty out there.if u cant find one then get one if thats what u want.i would say you need to work more on your intensity.

JTrain306 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JTrain306 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JTrain306 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JTrain306 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JTrain306 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JTrain306 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JTrain306 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JTrain306 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JTrain306 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JTrain306 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JTrain306 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by $AJ
    imho - no - you can get all the advice you need here (hell, for $8 you can buy my book and be 500x further ahead than if you had a trainer )
    you wrote a book?!

I got a trainer for my first 5 months of working out because I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. My trainer was very well qualified and knew what he was doing, which sadly is a rare thing these days.

But in your case, the only reason you really want one is for form.. do you go to a public gym? I'm sure there's plenty of other people there that can help you with form for free. Just ask them!
    Last edited by Davtown; 04-03-2005 at 04:35 AM.
    cant wait 2 c ur big ugly ass

BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by $AJ
    for $8 you can buy my book and be 500x further ahead than if you had a trainer
    Only if it tells me how to target my inner chest, and the best way to get a good pump.