yngwie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yngwie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yngwie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yngwie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yngwie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yngwie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yngwie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yngwie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yngwie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yngwie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yngwie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Do your shoulders ever get sore after your workout?

Monday is my shoulder day and everytime my shoulders are never sore the next day. Its odd because this is the only muscle group that does it. Does this happen to anyone else? I do 3 sets of 8 reps of Arnold dumbell presses, front dumbell raises, one arm side laterals and seated dumbell presses all the way to failure. I would assume this should be enough to make them sore the next day but it never seems to happen.

Flick will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flick will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flick will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flick will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flick will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flick will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flick will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flick will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flick will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flick will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flick will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by yngwie
    Monday is my shoulder day and everytime my shoulders are never sore the next day. Its odd because this is the only muscle group that does it. Does this happen to anyone else? I do 3 sets of 8 reps of Arnold dumbell presses, front dumbell raises, one arm side laterals and seated dumbell presses all the way to failure. I would assume this should be enough to make them sore the next day but it never seems to happen.
    To be honest, you don't have to shoot for obtaining sore muscles when you workout. Sure you'll be sore from lifting hard, but soreness doesn't equal growth. And going to failure only results in muscle fatigue, and when your muscles are fatigued you can't achieve overload, and if you don't achieve overload then your muscles cannot be forced to grow. This is all Max-OT principles, and it's good information. If you want to grow though, and in so becoming sore, then you have to push your muscles for overload.

Try looking at Max-OT for info, good stuff:
    http://www.ast-ss.com

Read Max-OT and if you're not satisfied then I'll post a routine that will make you sore, but I don't reccomend it because ever since I found Max-OT I don't want to reccomend anything else.

P.S. - Malmsteen is good and fast, I particularly like his music based on classical compositions (cannon in D minor).
    Kicking gravity's ass.

Quitting is not a option fire911's Avatar
    fire911 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fire911 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fire911 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fire911 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fire911 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fire911 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fire911 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fire911 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fire911 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fire911 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fire911 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I had the same question about shoulders I have never had them get sore, and when I pushed them to hard and used bad form trying to get them sore I ended up with a pain that made me take sometime off from lifting. I would say just work them using very strict form and blast them and you will get results

gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by fire911
    I had the same question about shoulders I have never had them get sore, and when I pushed them to hard and used bad form trying to get them sore I ended up with a pain that made me take sometime off from lifting. I would say just work them using very strict form and blast them and you will get results

some times when i work them too hard....soreness isnt anything special tho.

BIG RC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BIG RC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BIG RC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BIG RC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BIG RC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I work my shoulders twice a week and there barely ever sore and I have no idea why.
    Train past the pain for big gains.

Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Sometimes I think "bodybuilders" are all closet masochists.

Why does everyone want to get sore all the time? Soreness is NOT an indication that you've had a successful workout. It is NOT an indication that you've successfully stimulated muscle growth. You don't have to get sore to grow new muscle.

Getting sore doesn't have so much to do with the amount of work you do, but they type of work you do. In other workds, don't concentrate on the volume of work, but how you do the work. The negative part of the rep causes more micro damage than the lifting part, so eccentuate the negative more on each rep. Use a true 4-6 second negative on each rep and that might give you guys a better chance of getting sore. Another thing that contributes to more micro-tears, and thus perhaps more soreness, is the 'stretch position.' It's hard to put your shoulders into that stretch position, but if you can find a way to do it, that'll help you achieve that much desired DOMS you all want. Moreover, the more often you train, the less soreness you'll probably get.

Try doing deep-a$$ Dips, going as far down as you can, with a 6 second negative. That'll probably stretch your front delts enough to cause enough micro-damage to give you that soreness. I still don't know why everyone wants this though.

Soreness is normally an individual thing. Some people get really sore after workouts, others don't. Some bodyparts get really sore and others don't. Try using stretch position lifts with a slow negative and the deepest stretch you can get on them. Incline Dbl curls and overhead dbl extensions for arms, for example. But you don't have to get sore to grow new muscle. I actually find it uncomfortable.

Dirk

gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Dirk D.
    Sometimes I think "bodybuilders" are all closet masochists.

Why does everyone want to get sore all the time? Soreness is NOT an indication that you've had a successful workout. It is NOT an indication that you've successfully stimulated muscle growth. You don't have to get sore to grow new muscle.

Getting sore doesn't have so much to do with the amount of work you do, but they type of work you do. In other workds, don't concentrate on the volume of work, but how you do the work. The negative part of the rep causes more micro damage than the lifting part, so eccentuate the negative more on each rep. Use a true 4-6 second negative on each rep and that might give you guys a better chance of getting sore. Another thing that contributes to more micro-tears, and thus perhaps more soreness, is the 'stretch position.' It's hard to put your shoulders into that stretch position, but if you can find a way to do it, that'll help you achieve that much desired DOMS you all want. Moreover, the more often you train, the less soreness you'll probably get.

Try doing deep-a$$ Dips, going as far down as you can, with a 6 second negative. That'll probably stretch your front delts enough to cause enough micro-damage to give you that soreness. I still don't know why everyone wants this though.

Soreness is normally an individual thing. Some people get really sore after workouts, others don't. Some bodyparts get really sore and others don't. Try using stretch position lifts with a slow negative and the deepest stretch you can get on them. Incline Dbl curls and overhead dbl extensions for arms, for example. But you don't have to get sore to grow new muscle. I actually find it uncomfortable.

Dirk

exactly. soreness is a pain in the ass for me bc i know all it accomplishes is pain..

In The Realm of Ooshwabla xenithon's Avatar
    xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by gymaddict01
    soreness is a pain in the ass for me bc i know all it accomplishes is pain..
    Yup, I feel that way sometimes too. Almost none of my bodyparts get sore except for hams. And oddly enough, my hams are my weakpoint which I am now working on. On occassion other bodyparts get sore for like a day, but very rarely. When I train hams they are sore for a minimum of 5 days (and I mean seriously painful). Granted this only happens when I do either SLDL or GM's, but I am doing those a lot as they are bringing the hams up quite nicely

BUMP...thought people need a reminder once again.

MarkyMark83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarkyMark83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarkyMark83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarkyMark83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarkyMark83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarkyMark83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarkyMark83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarkyMark83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarkyMark83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarkyMark83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MarkyMark83 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    you guys are right about the soreness not being necessary... it is odd tho, that i can work any muscle group hard and DOMS occurs, but if i really torch my shoulders, it still doesnt happen (even though growth does)

That's how I roll AlxandrTheGreat's Avatar
    AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlxandrTheGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You need to be doing not just 8, but 8-12 reps to stimulate all the muscle fibers into growth for just about any bodypart, except even higher reps for legs. When I did nothing but 5-8 reps my delts never got very sore either, not did they increase that much in size. Only when I started with 8-12 reps did I start getting that incredible burn and pump in my delts, which inevitably led to greater growth.

My delt routine:

Behind neck press 4 work sets 8-12 reps
    Lateral raises (very strict) 3 work sets 8-12 reps

Also since I started using 8-12 reps for back training I get much more sore in the lats AND my delts too!
    Some times you gotta add that poundage, and beat that muscle up!

- Kevin Levrone

Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I think it depends upon you.
    My shoulders are sore if I pick a pencil off the floor.
    However, my chest is a lot harder to make sore.