BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50)

now what are your ideas with BB vs DB shrugs

I've been doing BB shrugs for quite a while and have got up to using 265+ pounds for sets of 12-15 I was wondering what yall thought about doing DB shrugs instead but sacrificing weight. My DB's can go from 5-150lb so I'll probably be somewhere around 70-80 for shrugs (DB's) but is it worth the loss of weight? I was thinking this could be comparable to BB vs. DB bench press... even though you use more weight on BB bench DB can be more effective for chest size.

papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Dr. Squat puts it best:

"SHRUGS
    Your trapezius muscles (called "traps") elevate and support your shoulder girdle (i.e., pull your shoulders toward your ears). Simply hold a bar in front of you and "shrug" your shoulders straight upwards. You don't have to rotate your shoulders -- just shrug.

An alternative method is to shrug with heavy dumbbells while either seated or standing. The straight bar must be held out in front of you, while seated dumbbell shrugs allow the arms to hang naturally at your sides. This makes dumbbell shrugs a bit more comfortable and definitely easier on your low back. Holding a heavy bar in front of you requires strong contraction of your erector spinae muscles.

Normal shrugging technique (as explained above) activates the two upper portions of your trapezius (i.e., trapezius I and II). By leaning forward (about 20-30 degrees), and then shrugging straight up -- not toward your ears, but vertically toward the ceiling -- you will activate trapezius III and IV. You may wish to support your upper body against a padded surface (like a preacher curl bench) in order to alleviate unnecessary stress on your lower back while leaning forward."

BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    cool thanks anything else

Sandguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sandguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sandguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sandguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sandguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sandguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sandguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sandguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sandguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sandguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sandguy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'd say go for it, it's always nice to switch things up
    Workout Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159256121

papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by BOLT. View Post
    cool thanks anything else
    On an Ian King video I was watching, he had an interesting exercise for dumbbell shrugs. He would start with the dumbbells behind him and shrug to failure. Next, he would move the dumbbells to his sides and shrug to failure. Lastly, the dumbbells would be held in front of him and shrug to failure. He started with the weakest shrug position and progressed to the strongest all with the same dumbbell weight.

blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by papi93 View Post
    On an Ian King video I was watching, he had an interesting exercise for dumbbell shrugs. He would start with the dumbbells behind him and shrug to failure. Next, he would move the dumbbells to his sides and shrug to failure. Lastly, the dumbbells would be held in front of him and shrug to failure. He started with the weakest shrug position and progressed to the strongest all with the same dumbbell weight.
    By moving the DBs from front to side, and then to behind you, does it truly hit a different part of the trap? Or is placement not that necessary?

See that's the kind of stuff I can see DC doing and looking at the results of his dudes I might have to try that for some of my exercises.

Jamier11 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Jamier11 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Jamier11 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Jamier11 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Jamier11 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Jamier11 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Jamier11 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Jamier11 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Jamier11 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Jamier11 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Jamier11 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    The loss of weight doesnt mean anything. Exercises cant be compared in such a linear sense as amount of weight moved. Its all about the amount of "stress" put on the muscle. And if using lower weights for DB gives you traps the same stress as BB, then weight shouldnt matter.

Originally Posted by Jamier11 View Post
    The loss of weight doesnt mean anything. Exercises cant be compared in such a linear sense as amount of weight moved. Its all about the amount of "stress" put on the muscle. And if using lower weights for DB gives you traps the same stress as BB, then weight shouldnt matter.
    But higher weight equals higher chance the weight will increase faster. Psh idk..

Originally Posted by blindside View Post
    By moving the DBs from front to side, and then to behind you, does it truly hit a different part of the trap? Or is placement not that necessary?
    Note the truck angle described by Fred Hatfield in my earlier post. That will alter trap recruitment.

King's method increases time-under-tension for the upper traps. There are other methods that are popular for increasing time-under-tension: running the rack, 1 and 1/2's, etc. Behind-the-back barbell shrugs are a popular exercise (Ronnie Coleman does them in the COR). A barbell does not allow you to have the hands in a neutral position (a trap bar does but it wouldn't be applicable in this situation) so this is another example of the advantage of dumbbells over a barbell.
    Last edited by papi93; 09-03-2007 at 11:39 AM.

It increases time-under-tension for the upper traps. There are other methods that are popular for increasing time-under-tension: running the rack, triple drop sets, etc. Behind-the-back barbell shrugs are a popular exercise (Ronnie Coleman does them in the COR). A barbell does not allow you to have the hands in a neutral position (a trap bar does but it wouldn't be applicable in this situation) so this is another example of the advantage of dumbbells over a barbell.
    I see. BB shrugs work a smaller muscle but have a mechanical advantage over the bigger muscles more towards the back that DB shrugs work. So more muscle's worked with DB.

D-Y has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) D-Y has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) D-Y has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) D-Y has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) D-Y has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) D-Y has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) D-Y has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) D-Y has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) D-Y has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) D-Y has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) D-Y has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just put down "shrugs" in my routine and then I mix it up every time with different kinds. I like seated DB shrugs a lot though.

Originally Posted by BOLT. View Post
    I see. BB shrugs work a smaller muscle but have a mechanical advantage over the bigger muscles more towards the back that DB shrugs work. So more muscle's worked with DB.
    The biggest advantage dumbbells have over a barbell is the decreased stabilizing demands placed on the lower back. Barbell has the advantage when it comes to loading capabilities.

The biggest advantage dumbbells have over a barbell is the decreased stabilizing demands placed on the lower back. Barbell has the advantage when it comes to loading capabilities.
    Damn I've noticed that with curls too. BB curls I can curl 100+ lb for 8-12 reps but with DB curls I can barely do 35's for 10. I might start switching some **** to DB's.

Check out "The Best Trap Exercises" in this article: http://www.musclewithattitude.com/re....do?id=1470868

Olympic-style lifts require have a higher learning curve so proceed with caution. I don't use them for upper trap development but I know that a lot of individuals on this site boast about them.