JIMMY_HOFFA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JIMMY_HOFFA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JIMMY_HOFFA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JIMMY_HOFFA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JIMMY_HOFFA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JIMMY_HOFFA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JIMMY_HOFFA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JIMMY_HOFFA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JIMMY_HOFFA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JIMMY_HOFFA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JIMMY_HOFFA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Just started Brazilian Jiu Jitsu...

This is a repost that I inquired about in the "Anyone into MMA fighting?" tread. Please forgive the repeat but I figured I would get more ideas from an independent thread. So here goes...

I recently started BJJ (three weeks ago). I lift in the mornings and go to BJJ class at night. I am already feeling overworked. And what I mean by feeling overworked is I'm constantly tired, muscle soreness is more prolonged now, and overall energy loss. I think my problem is, yes I admit it, ... overtraining.

My huge hang up is that I don't want to give up either of these sports (weightlifting or BJJ). I know I need to cut down on my workouts, being that I was lifting more geared towards bodybuilding 4 days a week and rolling 4 nights a week in BJJ.

Could I get a little advice on some good power/strength workouts that won't leave my body burned out too much for BJJ? Possible a 3 day split. I am looking for strength and indurance. I'm a little confused on what to do though. I read that I should stick the "the big ones" or the big three; bench, squat, and deadlift. But with this being said, where does the conditioning come from? No offense to bodybuilders, but I am straying from the "beach muscles" and looking for something I can actually use.

A regular night of BJJ consists of:

Warm Up:
    Running, skipping, jumping jacks, mountain climbers, knees to elbows, more running, bear crawls, forward and reverse crab walks.

Rolling/Drilling:
    I train with the 185lb to 200lb guys. I'm 150 right now. The work consists of manipulating the other persons body weight from on top of me, under me, standing and sitting.

"Meditation":
    This part is killer! After a grueling session of rolling we have, what Mr. Lovato likes to call, "meditation". Basically this is all ab work: Cruches, Alternating crossed leg crunches, banana rolls, hip hops, leg lifts, etc.

Any advice from current BJJ'ers or someone that has been a BJJ'er would be great. I really appreciate if you read all of this, I know it is long but I am looking to improve my physically in this sport as much as possible.

Thanks guys.

(Oh yea, I have jumped on the wagon of rep points. So I will be dishing them out if anyone cares)

bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by JIMMY_HOFFA
    This is a repost that I inquired about in the "Anyone into MMA fighting?" tread. Please forgive the repeat but I figured I would get more ideas from an independent thread. So here goes...

I recently started BJJ (three weeks ago). I lift in the mornings and go to BJJ class at night. I am already feeling overworked. And what I mean by feeling overworked is I'm constantly tired, muscle soreness is more prolonged now, and overall energy loss. I think my problem is, yes I admit it, ... overtraining.

My huge hang up is that I don't want to give up either of these sports (weightlifting or BJJ). I know I need to cut down on my workouts, being that I was lifting more geared towards bodybuilding 4 days a week and rolling 4 nights a week in BJJ.

Could I get a little advice on some good power/strength workouts that won't leave my body burned out too much for BJJ? Possible a 3 day split. I am looking for strength and indurance. I'm a little confused on what to do though. I read that I should stick the "the big ones" or the big three; bench, squat, and deadlift. But with this being said, where does the conditioning come from? No offense to bodybuilders, but I am straying from the "beach muscles" and looking for something I can actually use.

A regular night of BJJ consists of:

Warm Up:
    Running, skipping, jumping jacks, mountain climbers, knees to elbows, more running, bear crawls, forward and reverse crab walks.

Rolling/Drilling:
    I train with the 185lb to 200lb guys. I'm 150 right now. The work consists of manipulating the other persons body weight from on top of me, under me, standing and sitting.

"Meditation":
    This part is killer! After a grueling session of rolling we have, what Mr. Lovato likes to call, "meditation". Basically this is all ab work: Cruches, Alternating crossed leg crunches, banana rolls, hip hops, leg lifts, etc.

Any advice from current BJJ'ers or someone that has been a BJJ'er would be great. I really appreciate if you read all of this, I know it is long but I am looking to improve my physically in this sport as much as possible.

Thanks guys.

(Oh yea, I have jumped on the wagon of rep points. So I will be dishing them out if anyone cares)
    i usually train about 3-4 days a week...just gotta balance it...usually ill hit the gym 3 times a week... my workout consists of:

shoulders X 4; military press, foward raises, side raises
    Chest X 4; cable flies high and low
    Back X 4; lat pulldown, and rows
    Arms X 2; curl or tricep pushdown in sets of 20-30, the bigger your arms are the harder it will be to grapple, trust me, swallow your ego

then i work the core muscles doing reverse sit ups, sit ups, and crunches and the stabilizing one..

i do this workout about every other day, currently i weigh 206 lbs at 6'2...i can bench about 305-315 and can rep 225 X 10 on the bench press.

anymore questions lemme know.
    Fukc dieting you only live once-me

U.S. Navy Corpsman...Corpsman up.

Naval Aircrewman School Graduate

JIMMY_HOFFA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JIMMY_HOFFA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JIMMY_HOFFA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JIMMY_HOFFA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JIMMY_HOFFA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JIMMY_HOFFA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JIMMY_HOFFA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JIMMY_HOFFA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JIMMY_HOFFA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JIMMY_HOFFA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JIMMY_HOFFA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wow, you do that workout every other day? How long have you been able to keep this up?

Bump

Any other BJJ'ers out there?

< 1k Posts/Year Crew StevieSparkZ's Avatar
    StevieSparkZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StevieSparkZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StevieSparkZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StevieSparkZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StevieSparkZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StevieSparkZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StevieSparkZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StevieSparkZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StevieSparkZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StevieSparkZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StevieSparkZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Me and i think bluemarlin04/KaneFan are also

Originally Posted by StevieSparkZ
    Me and i think bluemarlin04/KaneFan are also
    What does your routine look like?

bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000) bluemarlin04 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Wow, you do that workout every other day? How long have you been able to keep this up?
    going on about 8 months....just stretch out after every workout and sit in the sauna...after you roll or grapple just chill...i eat alot of food as well. its a great workout, its not to hard on your body either, alot of people say dont lift when you train, but i dont think thats true, just a matter of balancing.
    Fukc dieting you only live once-me

U.S. Navy Corpsman...Corpsman up.

Naval Aircrewman School Graduate

Originally Posted by bluemarlin04
    going on about 8 months....just stretch out after every workout and sit in the sauna...after you roll or grapple just chill...i eat alot of food as well. its a great workout, its not to hard on your body either, alot of people say dont lift when you train, but i dont think thats true, just a matter of balancing.
    Yeah, I'm not looking to give up weight training, in fact I want to lift more than I ever have.

pbradish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbradish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbradish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbradish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbradish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbradish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbradish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbradish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbradish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbradish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbradish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah, I'm not looking to give up weight training, in fact I want to lift more than I ever have.
    jimmy I would suggest powerlifting supplimented with a crossfit/endurance program If you don't already. Since you train now (if you BB, forgive my ignorance if you don't) it will really limit your potential on the mats, on the bags, and in the ring.

Moonshine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Moonshine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Moonshine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Moonshine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Moonshine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

BJJ and Lifting

Hey Jimmy glad to see you loving BJJ.

I am a bit new to this community but I can share some of my experiences with you. Just remember that what works for me may or may not be applicable to you but maybe some of it will help. I currently train BJJ along with TKD and HKD... and I do a 4 day split lifting plus I love to run. I had been doing the korean arts for a while and when I started BJJ a few months ago I remember almost puking after the workout I was so exhausted. That was a couple months ago, and now I feel great. I still get exhausted after workouts but I have adjusted and gotten into better shape.

I haven't looked at any of your previous posts to know much background on you so I'll just post some of the keys for me:

1. Nutrition- Pretty standard, I eat 5-6 meals per day. Lots of complex carbs and protein, and easy on the sugars.

2. Supplements- Of course a good multi every day and protein shake for after lifting. I have also been using L-Glutamine powder 2x/ day and it seems to help. Not on creatine at the moment although I will be using it once I get my weight and bf down to my goal level.

3. Weight Training- I have been using a 4 day split for the last couple of months and enjoying it. I love big compound movements and body weight exercises. So squats, pullups, dips, etc... I don't normally work core at the gym that much since between BJJ and TKD they get plenty of work. I am looking for a way to strengthen my neck safely since I really feel sore there after alot of work in the Guard.

4. Cardio- For almost all of my cardio I run. I can't deal with treadmills or machines so I get out on the street and run down to the beach. I also ran D-I Track and Cross Country in college so its partly old habits as well. I stay away from cycling because of the limited ROM involved, however that doesn't mean its not a good workout.

5. Recovery- I have always been a big proponent of active recovery. You need to do what suits you as one persons recovery, may be another person's workout. For me a nice easy 15-30 minute jog at about 8 minute mile pace is a good recovery run and can also be a good warmup/cooldown. Don't forget to give your body enough sleep, and have one day a week of total rest.

6. Flexibility- Dynamic Stretching before workouts and several times per day, long static stretches as part of my cooldown at night.

A week looks something like this:

Sun AM: LSD, Lift (Chest, Triceps)
    PM: Kata, Weapon Training (HKD), Meditation

Mon:
    5 AM: Recovery/Warmup Run, Lift (Legs, Back)
    9 AM: BJJ Class approx 90 minutes
    6 PM: TKD Class approx 60 mins, Recovery Run

Tues:
    5 AM: Recovery/Warmup Run, Kata, Weps Work
    Noon: Walk/Jog 30 mins
    7 PM: TKD Class
    8 PM: Intervals on Track, Cooldown Run

Weds:
    5 AM: Recovery/Warmup Run, Lift (Shoulders, Traps)
    6 PM: TKD Class approx 60 mins, Recovery Run

Thurs:
    5 AM: Recovery/Warmup Run, Lift (Back, Biceps)
    Noon: Walk/Jog 30 mins
    9 PM: Intervals on Track, Kata, Weps Work, Cooldown Run

Fri:
    5 AM: Recovery/Warmup Run, Kata, Weps Work
    6 PM: TKD Class approx 60 mins, TKD Sparring (Tourney Prep), HKD, Recovery Run

Sat: OFF

The biggest key IMO is the recovery and nutrition. I like to run just hard enough to break a lite sweat. If I can't run then I get up and walk around or try to do anything to get me moving. Just sitting around for extended periods of time leaves me sore and stiff. I also try to eat some carbs and protein asap after a workout, especially if I have another that day. My girlfriend is also a martial artist and does basically the same routine (minus the BJJ for now) and has had alot of success.

I'm 6' and about 226lbs. atm fighting heavyweight. Working on getting under 200 and getting stronger.

Moonshine,

Excellent post. Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I like the way you broke down everything for me.

Indeed, I need to stretch like there is no tomorrow. I have to admit that is the one thing I neglected since I have started lifting (bodybuilding). Don't get me wrong I stretch for warm up and cool down, but I feel that I could avoid the stiffness if I supplemented stretching into my routine more. I will have to research the Dynamic Stretching and static stretching in more detail.

Again, thanks for the help.

stumpman8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stumpman8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stumpman8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stumpman8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stumpman8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stumpman8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stumpman8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stumpman8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stumpman8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stumpman8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stumpman8 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    bjj rocks stick with it and you should be a flexible yet muscular beast lol jk really though its my fav martial art and i think it promotes excellent fitness

Originally Posted by pbradish
    jimmy I would suggest powerlifting supplimented with a crossfit/endurance program If you don't already. Since you train now (if you BB, forgive my ignorance if you don't) it will really limit your potential on the mats, on the bags, and in the ring.
    Indeed, I do feel that bodybuilding would inhibit me on the mat. Thus, I am looking for a routine geared toward power and indurance.

Thanks.

Moonshine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Moonshine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Moonshine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Moonshine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Moonshine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Moonshine,

Excellent post. Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I like the way you broke down everything for me.

Indeed, I need to stretch like there is no tomorrow. I have to admit that is the one thing I neglected since I have started lifting (bodybuilding). Don't get me wrong I stretch for warm up and cool down, but I feel that I could avoid the stiffness if I supplemented stretching into my routine more. I will have to research the Dynamic Stretching and static stretching in more detail.

Again, thanks for the help.
    You are welcome.

For stretching I recommend taking a look at the books and videos of Tom Kurz: http://www.stretching.info/column.html Alot of folks that I know have had good results following his programs, especially with regards to their "cold" flexibility.

Martial Arts sites will also have good information, if you can weed out the good from the bad. I prefer Martial Arts Planet and they have some stretching links you may find useful http://www.martialartsplanet.com/for...ead.php?t=6306

Originally Posted by stumpman8
    bjj rocks stick with it and you should be a flexible yet muscular beast lol jk really though its my fav martial art and i think it promotes excellent fitness
    Stumpman, I agree. I have never had so much respect for an art until now. Spectating is one thing, but actually rolling with an experienced BJJ'er is a totally different world. I thought I was in pretty good shape until I was schooled by a 32 year old. Hell, there is a guy who just turned 42 and is in better shape than half of the class.

Anyhow, I appreciate all the help I have received. If you have anymore input, feel free to add more.

BTW stumpman, I see that you live in Texas. You wouldn't happen to roll at Muchado's would you?

B33f is just really nice. (+1000) B33f is just really nice. (+1000) B33f is just really nice. (+1000) B33f is just really nice. (+1000) B33f is just really nice. (+1000) B33f is just really nice. (+1000) B33f is just really nice. (+1000) B33f is just really nice. (+1000) B33f is just really nice. (+1000) B33f is just really nice. (+1000) B33f is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by bluemarlin04 View Post
    Arms X 2; curl or tricep pushdown in sets of 20-30, the bigger your arms are the harder it will be to grapple, trust me, swallow your ego
    Why dude?
    Petition for page long DBZ GIF avatars: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142932951

Nerol316 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nerol316 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nerol316 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nerol316 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nerol316 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nerol316 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nerol316 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nerol316 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by JIMMY_HOFFA View Post
    BTW stumpman, I see that you live in Texas. You wouldn't happen to roll at Muchado's would you?
    So uhh.. you train down in Oklahoma City with Rafael Lovato? My uncle trains/trained there

www.mutantfitness.com buffbrown21's Avatar
    buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    EDIT: I didnt realize this was a NECROthread. I hope someone can benefit from what I wrote.

Have you looked at www.rosstraining.com?

Ross Enamait is a former boxer who now trains combat athletes. He has several books out that cover the best type of strength and conditioning routines for combat athletes.

My personal favorite is called Infinite Intensity. This one uses a lot of dumbbell movements, along with bodyweight work, some sandbag stuff and such. The good thing with Ross' stuff is that it is very adaptable. There are sample programs in all of his books, but you are free to change them, its not a hard and fast routine.

Example of a "strength" workout day is something like this.

A. 1 arm dumbbell push press, 4 sets of 4 reps per arm with your 5 rep max weight. rest 90-120 secs between sets

B. sandbag shouldering, 4 sets of 4 reps per side, with your 6 rep max weight, rest 90-120 secs between sets

C is a complex pair, like a superset, complete a set of C1 and then go straight to C2, THEN rest and repeat

C1. Dumbbell step ups (on a bench)- 6 reps per leg
    C2. Romanian Deadlifts-8 reps

complete 4 sets with 45-60 seconds rest between sets

D is also a complex pair

D1. Weighted pullups-5 reps
    D2. Weighted dips-10 reps

complete 4 sets with 45-60 seconds rest between sets

Then as a finisher do 3 sets of Farmers Walks with heavy dumbbells.

That would be an example of a strength workout. You would only do this 1-2 times a week.

Pm me if you want more info/details. Just wanted you to see the difference of a routine designed for a combat athlete, that uses dumbbells.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member #14

www.ShankAZombie.com

Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000) Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000) Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000) Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000) Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000) Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000) Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000) Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000) Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000) Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000) Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by JIMMY_HOFFA View Post
    Yep.

Elavaanil is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Elavaanil is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Elavaanil is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Elavaanil is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Elavaanil is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Elavaanil is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Elavaanil is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Elavaanil is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Elavaanil is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Elavaanil is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Elavaanil is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    well the simplest thing to do is lift after training. cause my bjj workout is 2 hours, i take a shake immediately after and some gatorade, rest 10 mins, then go lift
    Misc Wristwatch Crew

^^^()()GERMANIC CREW()()^^^

Misc Strength Crew

*Official SNSD Crew*