Thread: 5 Day Workout

Baldeagle79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baldeagle79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baldeagle79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question 5 Day Workout

Fellow Bodybuilders,

I'm just starting a 5 day workout plan, and I would like to open it up to some constructive criticism. I had been doing 4 days a week, but I really feel like I need to go more. Monday through Friday is my routine, and it is basically as follows.

Monday: Chest and Triceps
    Tuesday: Back and Biceps
    Wednesday: Shoulders and Legs
    Thursday: Arms (Biceps, Triceps supersetted and forearms at the end)
    Friday: Chest/Back Superset Blowout (basically from Arnold's routine)

In anticipating doing this routine, I thought it would be too much on my arms, but I really am feeling a good pump with each workout. I feel that if you're isolating your chest and back properly, you aren't really doing too much to your arms and vice versa, but I must admit I'm not a physiologist or a personal trainer or anything either.

I'm an Air Force SSgt, and I have enjoyed lifting for a few years. I've put on a good 60 lbs. in the past 6 years (mostly muscle mass), but my routines have varied throughout the years. This 5 day a week routine is new for me. I'd appreciate any input. Also, I should mention I do about 4 exercises per body part, and about 6 reps (on average) per set until failure. I always go until failure, and if it's more than 6 reps, I go up a weight or two.

Thank you.

--Baldeagle79

In The Realm of Ooshwabla xenithon's Avatar
    xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    IMO that could seriously overtrain your arms. I do not think it is possible to really hit your chest and back hard without it hitting your arms, even if indirectly. I am not a fan of the 5-day workout (personal preference only, I know it works well for many) but if you do decide to go that route then I think a basic 5-day split is the best: Chest, Back, Legs, Shoulders, Arms.

What exactly do you feel you are lacking with your current 4-day split? Perhaps you do not need to change that but something else, such as rep schemes, overall volume etc. Try switching to a 2-day split to hit each muscle twice a week (eg. upper/lower, push/pull etc.)? Maybe try DFHT? Also do you work anything on your off days, such as cardio or abs?

X

Baldeagle79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baldeagle79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baldeagle79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for the tips X. I am feeling pretty strong in my arms, and I can't usually get a great pump (biceps or triceps) on back or chest days, and I've been really feeling that Thursday pump, but it's probably just overtraining and possibly taking away from chest/back, etc. I might need to go back to the 4 day split. I'll keep that in mind, definitely.

Thanks again.

--Baldeagle79