ahoodlum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

:( why is corporate america so infatuated with nasty food - beware, bitching inside

Arggg! We just had this get-together here at work and you can't get people together w/o food, right?! so they had these HUGE (I'm talking 6"x4"x1.5"!) brownies, ice cream, and hot fudge! I haven't had an ice cream sundae in AGES! man...but I sat there with my water instead

Then, the crap they serve here at work is just disgusting...but then again, that's why they have the gym here at work too, right? It's funny how different I look at food now. Before gettin in to nutrition and all that jazz, I would think that vegetable lo-mein would be ok for you, right? But the portions are HUGE...and all that bleached flour in the pasta...and who knows how much sugar is in the sauce!

Sorry for the rant...I just had some pent up energy from holding back on the ice cream...I'm sure you all have been there. Stay true to yourself. Keep adding layers and layers of willpower.

oh and another thing...

Do any of you ever walk over to the vending machine and stand there perplexed...wondering why there is no oatmeal and cottage cheese in there?

There is nothing "legal" in our vending machines here either!

JWilz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Angry AGREE!

I agree with that vending machine riff! I want some REAL oatmeal...not some sugar coated cream filled chocolate dum-drop.
    "Death makes angels of us all and gives us wings where we once had shoulders as smooth as ravens claws."-James Douglas Morrison

97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally posted by ahoodlum
    oh and another thing...

Do any of you ever walk over to the vending machine and stand there perplexed...wondering why there is no oatmeal and cottage cheese in there?

There is nothing "legal" in our vending machines here either!
    I hear ya. Sometimes they might have granola bars, but that's it.
    Supplement Enthusiast

Import Hunter™

219 destroyed since 1996

Old enough to raise ya....

97LT1: Yeah but they are usually those green wrapped Health Valley or something bars. They are so packed with sugar...I was real surprised when I read the label on those puppies. I can mack those down and I'm still starving...

97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Yeah, the are bad. But it either that or a candy bar. Sometimes i forget to bring my shake.
    Supplement Enthusiast

Import Hunter™

219 destroyed since 1996

Old enough to raise ya....

chrisg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisg is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    yeah, australia is pretty bad these days too! I guess people only look at food socially, for taste, or to stop hunger!!!

Caleb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Caleb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Caleb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Caleb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Caleb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Caleb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Caleb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Caleb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Caleb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Caleb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Caleb is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Profit. Food manufactures can make more money off that kind of crap. Due to lower costs and it`s easier for them to seperate their products from competitors by advertising/packing(much harder to make a consumer by your apples than it is to make them think all mini wheats are cheap imitations of kellogs brand).
    Caleb Donnelly

I wrote this.

-Teamwork is good,
    you can blame someone else

Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000)
    There was an article in Men's Health (or Fitness can't remember) refering to a law suit to clean up the junk food/fast food industry. 70% of America is overweight due to the garbage fed to us as well as a myriad of other tactics. Now I'm not saying that personal responsibility doesn't enter into this at all, but how many Rally burgers are there in comparison to a place that sells protein smoothies or fresh fruit? What are your choices in a pinch and what are you going to buy first? Pizza and burgers?

Once I started paying attention to diet and nutrition I was amazed at what the first thiry years of my life had been built upon. I still slip the occasional goodie in, but there few and far between when I'm concentrating on loosing weight.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever

Sometimes, Preliminary Research makes sense..... ---> A search is a terrible thing to waste!

Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Talking

I always head to the vending machines when we're (me & my sweetie) traveling or something (and I'm in dire need of a snack) praying there's a pack of pnuts in there just so I can have a handful of them. There hardly ever is.

Something I'm noticing more & more as I get older is how FAT people are. I have two kids (17 & 12) and am getting a little older (not much, though) and am amazed at how out of shape people are. They always say they just can't help it & it's genetics, etc. Maybe every once in a while that's the case, but I think it has more to do with those Cheetos & crap I see them munching down on by the pool. It's kind of funny how I pick myself apart & want everything to be totally firm when I'm in my swimsuit & you would not believe what I see at the family swimming pools on vacation.

I don't mean to be bashing out of shape people, but if people are going to complain about being out of shape, you'd think they could show a little control & put some kind of effort into doing something about it.
    Last edited by Hibiscus09; 07-11-2002 at 09:08 AM.

homerphi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I know what you are saying, most of the people who are really fat are the ones who growing up didn't have to work for being thin and now that they are fat they don't know what to do.

I know one person who always complains about being overweigh and then will eat a bag of twislers or a bag of buttered popcorn for dinner.

usnjosh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) usnjosh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) usnjosh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My personal favorite is the 300lb 25 year old woman I used to work with (who had a bad attitude about everything else in life too...)

She would say, "I can't help being fat, it's genetic and there's nothing I can do about it." As she munched on her double quarter pounder extra value meal - SUPERSIZED.
    Don't ever try to teach a pig to sing.
    It wastes your time, and annoys the pig.

Integrity is doing the right thing even when noone is watching.

U.S. Navy

Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i hate going to the vending machines at school and the only healthy thing in there are nutrigrain bars which are like a buck fifty! i get pissed off having to pay that much for something like that!
    Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

The body cannot achieve what the mind cannot conceive.

Practice doesnt make perfect....perfect practice makes perfect

tracyb555 is just really nice. (+1000) tracyb555 is just really nice. (+1000) tracyb555 is just really nice. (+1000) tracyb555 is just really nice. (+1000) tracyb555 is just really nice. (+1000) tracyb555 is just really nice. (+1000) tracyb555 is just really nice. (+1000) tracyb555 is just really nice. (+1000) tracyb555 is just really nice. (+1000) tracyb555 is just really nice. (+1000) tracyb555 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I hear you on the vending machines! Thank goodness there is a GNC close by my work - I usually keep some protein bars stocked up in my desk drawer.

Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Another thing that kills me is durring one of these giant office spreads of food that occur once or so a month, someone will bring in vegtables. Looks good right? Alas in the middle is a gallon sized bowl of ranch flavored fat, err dressing. It's like the mindset is. "I'm going to prepare something healthy, oops I better add some dressing in there or they won't eat it". And unfortunatley that's true.

Just venting. We had a party at work yesterday for someone's kids friend's Uncle who saw shamoo at Sea World. Or wahtever the reason to graze was this time. We do it often. Yesterday's theme was Mexican food. You can imagine the layout.

He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever

Sometimes, Preliminary Research makes sense..... ---> A search is a terrible thing to waste!

usnjosh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) usnjosh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) usnjosh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ****e, at the company I used to work for it was much worse. For about 4 weeks straight people would each bring a big meal the first 4 days of the week and we'd order out on Friday. It was hell!

Mexican, Chinese, Greek, Homestyle, then ORDER OUT DAY!
    Don't ever try to teach a pig to sing.
    It wastes your time, and annoys the pig.

Integrity is doing the right thing even when noone is watching.

U.S. Navy

D-Termine is a name known to all. (+5000) D-Termine is a name known to all. (+5000) D-Termine is a name known to all. (+5000) D-Termine is a name known to all. (+5000) D-Termine is a name known to all. (+5000) D-Termine is a name known to all. (+5000) D-Termine is a name known to all. (+5000) D-Termine is a name known to all. (+5000) D-Termine is a name known to all. (+5000) D-Termine is a name known to all. (+5000) D-Termine is a name known to all. (+5000)
    try being in high school. not only is everything overpriced, but its ****! i complained about the vending machines to a bunch of people in the administration, but i very much doubt that there will be any protein bars in the machines when i go back to school. there's better chance of the pledge of allegence NOT being said anymore, than of there being anything healthy in the machines.

Bugsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bugsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    why is corporate america so infatuated with nasty food?

Ahoodlum, that is so true it's not even funny.

At my last job, just about every meeting had unhealthy food. It was so common that if there wasn't food then people would wonder what happened.

Everyday I had meetings and there were always doughnuts in the morning and food catered in for lunch. Not to mention all the candies and homemade stuff on everyones desks for the people passing by and the rotational potluck type of thing every friday which always included Krispe Kreme doughnuts and other really bad stuff. Ice cream was also very common there too. And yes, it was the really overweight people that had to keep getting up during the meeting to grab another brownie or piece of chocolate.

The funny thing is that everytime I passed on something using the excuse that I'm on a diet, people would look at me funny like something was wrong with me or as if I was trying to say that I'm better than them because I have control. You figure it out.

What you say is very true my friend.

Bugsy

Registered User sledgehammer956's Avatar
    sledgehammer956 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sledgehammer956 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sledgehammer956 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sledgehammer956 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sledgehammer956 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sledgehammer956 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sledgehammer956 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sledgehammer956 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sledgehammer956 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sledgehammer956 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sledgehammer956 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Here in Milwaukee they opened the first Krispy Kreme donut shop and I **** you not, they needed the police to direct traffic around the place!The last thing this city needs is a new donut shop on top of all the beer,cheese,brats, and friday night fish frys!
    "Ain't Gettin' Old, Ain't Gettin' Younger Though"

Registered User sledgehammer956's Avatar
    sledgehammer956 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sledgehammer956 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sledgehammer956 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sledgehammer956 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sledgehammer956 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sledgehammer956 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sledgehammer956 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sledgehammer956 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sledgehammer956 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sledgehammer956 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sledgehammer956 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally posted by Bugsy
    why is corporate america so infatuated with nasty food?

Ahoodlum, that is so true it's not even funny.

At my last job, just about every meeting had unhealthy food. It was so common that if there wasn't food then people would wonder what happened.

Everyday I had meetings and there were always doughnuts in the morning and food catered in for lunch. Not to mention all the candies and homemade stuff on everyones desks for the people passing by and the rotational potluck type of thing every friday which always included Krispe Kreme doughnuts and other really bad stuff. Ice cream was also very common there too. And yes, it was the really overweight people that had to keep getting up during the meeting to grab another brownie or piece of chocolate.

The funny thing is that everytime I passed on something using the excuse that I'm on a diet, people would look at me funny like something was wrong with me or as if I was trying to say that I'm better than them because I have control. You figure it out.LOL, I hear ya big time! I was at a picnic last weekend and I mentioned that I couldn't eat most of the food there because I'm dieting and my bud told everyone sitting there,"He's not kidding, he eats tuna right out of the can!"

What you say is very true my friend.

Bugsy
    "Ain't Gettin' Old, Ain't Gettin' Younger Though"

Originally posted by sledgehammer956
    Here in Milwaukee they opened the first Krispy Kreme donut shop and I **** you not, they needed the police to direct traffic around the place!The last thing this city needs is a new donut shop on top of all the beer,cheese,brats, and friday night fish frys!
    When they opened a Krispy Kreme in Dearborn Heights Michigan (suburb of Detroit) they had cops directing traffic as well. Temptation finally got the best of the poilice and they left their posts to go graze. Forgetting about the 300 plus cars, murders and bank robbers just outside the door.

Note: If there are any police on this thread, I can not be held responsible for my comments. I'm sure somewhere down the line someone has done me wrong causing this outburst. But it most certainly can not be my own doing

Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I agree that there's way too much junk food, but I'm from the South & have you guys eaten a warm Krispy Kreme Donut? I just don't get near the things -- they're hard to stop eating once you get started. They would be on my plate for my last meal if I were about to be executed!

I work in the IT department for my company. We had a K Kremes eating contest. One guy ate 18 doughnuts. Spent the rest of the day in sugar shock.
    They should be on a controlled subtstance list somewhere. Cinnanbons as well.

Man I'm hungry now.