Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    whiplash is a jewel in the rough. (+500) whiplash is a jewel in the rough. (+500) whiplash is a jewel in the rough. (+500) whiplash is a jewel in the rough. (+500) whiplash is a jewel in the rough. (+500) whiplash is a jewel in the rough. (+500) whiplash is a jewel in the rough. (+500) whiplash is a jewel in the rough. (+500) whiplash is a jewel in the rough. (+500) whiplash is a jewel in the rough. (+500) whiplash is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Thumbs down How can I stop getting calluses??

Im starting to get afew from weight lifting, I assume it's from deadlifts and curling but it could be anything doto with free weights. I've heard they take ages to have them disappear??? anyone know how to get rid of them?

pics attached.
    Attached Images

MrBRoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrBRoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrBRoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrBRoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrBRoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrBRoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrBRoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrBRoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrBRoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrBRoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    use gloves... bb has some good gloves... and as far as getting rid of them theres some stuff you can buy that helps get rid of them.. or you can shave them off
    No Pain..No Gain.. Remain The Same...

Registered User bulletproofsoul's Avatar
    bulletproofsoul is just really nice. (+1000) bulletproofsoul is just really nice. (+1000) bulletproofsoul is just really nice. (+1000) bulletproofsoul is just really nice. (+1000) bulletproofsoul is just really nice. (+1000) bulletproofsoul is just really nice. (+1000) bulletproofsoul is just really nice. (+1000) bulletproofsoul is just really nice. (+1000) bulletproofsoul is just really nice. (+1000) bulletproofsoul is just really nice. (+1000) bulletproofsoul is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by MrBRoc
    use gloves... bb has some good gloves... and as far as getting rid of them theres some stuff you can buy that helps get rid of them.. or you can shave them off
    Cocoa Butter will help soften them very quickly. A pumice stone can be used to rub them off (gently and gradually) when they are softer after having been in water for a while like in the shower. They will go away eventually without using a pumice stone, though. Depending on the gloves, sometimes you need to keep up with the moisturizer because there is slight rubbing even with certain gloves. Padded ones rub less and plain leather rub more.

Mother Goose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mother Goose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mother Goose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Heh, when I started working out, I'd figure that I could skip the gloves by building up the callouse. Bad idea. The callouses started getting bigger and bigger, and eventually one day, one of them ripped.

Was so painful to continue training that I had to stop for a week. Now, I use gloves, but only for exercises that need them. For example, when I do shrugs on the smith, the grip on the bar is so spotted that it really kills your hands.

I still get callouses, but my skin is a bit darker so it's not very noticeable. Not a big deal.

runningback666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) runningback666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) runningback666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) runningback666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) runningback666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) runningback666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) runningback666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) runningback666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) runningback666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) runningback666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) runningback666 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i like them they make holding the deadlift a lot less pain if you have them
    "Pain is temporary, Pride is forever"
    "Nothing Worth having EVER comes easy"
    Its never to late to become what you have always wanted.
    Everything you do, every single decision? you make, either takes you a step closer or a step further away from your goal.

Cutting for the my first show, Dayton Tri-State Natural Bodybuilding Championship

Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Mother Goose
    Heh, when I started working out, I'd figure that I could skip the gloves by building up the callouse. Bad idea. The callouses started getting bigger and bigger, and eventually one day, one of them ripped.

Was so painful to continue training that I had to stop for a week. Now, I use gloves, but only for exercises that need them. For example, when I do shrugs on the smith, the grip on the bar is so spotted that it really kills your hands.

I still get callouses, but my skin is a bit darker so it's not very noticeable. Not a big deal.
    If you're worried about them ripping off, just file them down.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    live with them; this isn't a pretty boy sport. any experienced lifter who trains seriouslly will have them.
    <->

Cantide has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cantide has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cantide has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cantide has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cantide has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cantide has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cantide has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cantide has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cantide has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cantide has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cantide has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by $AJ
    live with them; this isn't a pretty boy sport. any experienced lifter who trains seriouslly will have them.
    Harsh but so true. You tell a lot about someone by looking at there hands. I cherish mine, as they portray my love and involvement of the sport.

And when they rip, it is wonderful. Makes for a great conversation piece.

"What happended to your hands?"
    "Well, I was throwing up 450lbs the other day...."
    Last edited by Cantide; 03-26-2005 at 11:26 AM.
    My Bodybuilding Journal:
    (discontinued)

Promises to stop killing kittens.

lamby will become famous soon enough. (+50) lamby will become famous soon enough. (+50) lamby will become famous soon enough. (+50) lamby will become famous soon enough. (+50) lamby will become famous soon enough. (+50) lamby will become famous soon enough. (+50) lamby will become famous soon enough. (+50) lamby will become famous soon enough. (+50) lamby will become famous soon enough. (+50) lamby will become famous soon enough. (+50) lamby will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    wear gloves, after a while you can peel your calluses off, which i did

powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Just file them down when they get to big. If they rip on an exercise, just super glue it back down and continue on.

MDF__If you ain't Cav... BiGD_49's Avatar
    BiGD_49 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BiGD_49 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BiGD_49 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BiGD_49 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BiGD_49 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BiGD_49 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BiGD_49 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BiGD_49 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BiGD_49 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BiGD_49 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BiGD_49 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ^ hell yeah! lol.. callouses are the marks of men!
    Check out my Bill Starr 5x5 journal!

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=117340391

vascularing defination Newbtime's Avatar
    Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Cool

Originally Posted by whiplash
    Im starting to get afew from weight lifting, I assume it's from deadlifts and curling but it could be anything doto with free weights. I've heard they take ages to have them disappear??? anyone know how to get rid of them?

pics attached.
    use gloves,get a smoother bar,or let your hands toughen up.

-

Consistency + Knowledge BodySculpting's Avatar
    BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Thumbs up

Calluses are beautiful, if a someone every notices them...I always look up proudly and say, "its from weight training." They are proof of your hard work in the gym.
    "The only way out of hell, is through it. "

Registered User BiggerNstronger's Avatar
    BiggerNstronger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BiggerNstronger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BiggerNstronger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BiggerNstronger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BiggerNstronger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BiggerNstronger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BiggerNstronger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have very few callouses from lifting, mine are from WORKING! Occasionally I will get a little extra "rub" on my hands since I dont use gloves but I hardly notice them. Lots of lotion will help and I would suggest you do NO manual labor EVER and NO MORE LIFTING ever...your hands will be beautiful!

JTrain306 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JTrain306 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JTrain306 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JTrain306 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JTrain306 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JTrain306 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JTrain306 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JTrain306 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JTrain306 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JTrain306 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JTrain306 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I found that when I used gloves, it didn't help me advance as fast with my grip strength.

Since I ditched the gloves my grip has improved tenfold

besides, I have callouses on my fingers from guitar, so I'm used to it
    cant wait 2 c ur big ugly ass

corple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) corple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) corple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) corple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) corple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) corple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) corple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) corple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) corple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) corple is a jewel in the rough. (+500) corple is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    dam, i got some callouses, but none of them never ripped. must be a pretty brutal workout. goodjob.
    GOAL: BUILD LEAN MASS
    SUPPLEMENTS: whey protein & creatine mono
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html - exercises
    http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php - food
    http://www.nutritiondata.com - calorie counter
    http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1268956 - clean bulking
    http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=292tc2 - MY MOTIVATION

whiplash is a jewel in the rough. (+500) whiplash is a jewel in the rough. (+500) whiplash is a jewel in the rough. (+500) whiplash is a jewel in the rough. (+500) whiplash is a jewel in the rough. (+500) whiplash is a jewel in the rough. (+500) whiplash is a jewel in the rough. (+500) whiplash is a jewel in the rough. (+500) whiplash is a jewel in the rough. (+500) whiplash is a jewel in the rough. (+500) whiplash is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Wink

Thanks guys, I guess I just have to suck it up and it's just the art of body building.

King Crush is just really nice. (+1000) King Crush is just really nice. (+1000) King Crush is just really nice. (+1000) King Crush is just really nice. (+1000) King Crush is just really nice. (+1000) King Crush is just really nice. (+1000) King Crush is just really nice. (+1000) King Crush is just really nice. (+1000) King Crush is just really nice. (+1000) King Crush is just really nice. (+1000) King Crush is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by $AJ
    I totally agree! Reps FOR THAT!
    COMBERDS

King Crush is just really nice. (+1000) King Crush is just really nice. (+1000) King Crush is just really nice. (+1000) King Crush is just really nice. (+1000) King Crush is just really nice. (+1000) King Crush is just really nice. (+1000) King Crush is just really nice. (+1000) King Crush is just really nice. (+1000) King Crush is just really nice. (+1000) King Crush is just really nice. (+1000) King Crush is just really nice. (+1000)
    My opinion glove are worthless. Your hands will toughen up over time. Plus, using no gloves inproves your grip more. I never have used gloves and never will!
    COMBERDS

TrainWreck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrainWreck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrainWreck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrainWreck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrainWreck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    "Hard men have hard hands."

-My father

I automaticly think less of a man if he has soft hands when it comes to the initial handshake. I am not possitive what every one eles believes but rough hands are the mark of one who works hard, weather it is manuial labor, weights or mechanical work. Hard hands show devotion. Badge of honor so to say IMO.

Ladies Love Squat Butt Morbid_Mind's Avatar
    Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Calluses are a protectional method by your skin. There are worse, more annoying things in life than calluses.
    My Goals:

For to make the heavy weights light and the baggy clothes tight.

Inuendo? In HER end Oh! PickItUp's Avatar
    PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000)

Try using Versa Gripps

www.versagripps.com

But if you decide to lotion them to softness before filing them down...no lotion works better than cornhuskers lotion.

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp16837_33...ent_lotion.htm

It is kinda weird as far as consistency is concerned, but once you work it in (5-10 minutes really...no ****...it takes time), your skin is SUPER SOFT!!!

Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    you want callouses you pussy

rollo will become famous soon enough. (+50) rollo will become famous soon enough. (+50) rollo will become famous soon enough. (+50) rollo will become famous soon enough. (+50) rollo will become famous soon enough. (+50) rollo will become famous soon enough. (+50) rollo will become famous soon enough. (+50) rollo will become famous soon enough. (+50) rollo will become famous soon enough. (+50) rollo will become famous soon enough. (+50) rollo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    lol wait till your callouses start ripping off and bleeding when they get too big and you're pulling some big numbers on deadlift/rackpull :P

keep filing them down, that helps alot...

but learn to live with it

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Calluses suck, but don't wear gloves to avoid them. It usually doesn't work anyway. Just file them down so they don't tear and get unattractive.

The process might harden your skin.

Ageispolis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ageispolis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ageispolis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ageispolis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ageispolis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ageispolis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ageispolis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ageispolis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ageispolis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ageispolis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ageispolis will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by TrainWreck
    "Hard men have hard hands."

-My father

I automaticly think less of a man if he has soft hands when it comes to the initial handshake. I am not possitive what every one eles believes but rough hands are the mark of one who works hard, weather it is manuial labor, weights or mechanical work. Hard hands show devotion. Badge of honor so to say IMO.
    I don't lift now, but Ive been working full time in construction for the last couple of years. Even though I get calluses, my hands are still soft everywhere else. I don't moisturize. I work as hard or harder than the next construction worker. They're just naturally soft, no matter what I do. Your view is incorrect.

As far as the lifting calluses, you can wear gloves but it's not 100% protection. The one other thing that's great about gloves is that you don't feel the weight as much which is argued that it leads to lifting more. I guess they say that because of the absence of pain/feeling of weight in the hands make it easier mentally to lift more weight.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by rollo
    lol wait till your callouses start ripping off and bleeding when they get too big and you're pulling some big numbers on deadlift/rackpull :P

keep filing them down, that helps alot...

but learn to live with it
    Exactly, you just gotta suck it up. It's happened to me a few times where I've ripped them clean off, always on the underhand side, and I never even feel it happening.

All you can really do is keep them smooth like you said and hope they hold up next time. The only alternative is wearing gloves and I won't be doing that in this lifetime

Slump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Slump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Slump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Slump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Slump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Slump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Slump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Slump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Slump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Slump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Slump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by BodySculpting
    Calluses are beautiful, if a someone every notices them...I always look up proudly and say, "its from weight training." They are proof of your hard work in the gym.
    Seriously... if you have to TELL people that they are from weight training it really doesn't do your physique any justice now does it? j/k

When my callouses get too big/thick I just rip them off. I don't know about you guys, but it doesn't hurt at all for me.

▲▲▲ Just as it says ▲▲▲ Tumescent's Avatar
    Location: Having a drink, in a pub, Next to the resturant at the end of the universe
    Tumescent will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tumescent will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tumescent will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tumescent will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tumescent will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tumescent will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tumescent will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tumescent will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tumescent will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tumescent will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tumescent will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ^^ ^^ ^^

Exactly
    If callouses are the best thing you have to show from the gym, you are doing something wrong.
    I personally wear gloves... the callouses are less prominent and come on... most women really don’t like hands covered in callouses. There is also something off-putting about leaving half your palm on the bar after a set of heavy deads
    "The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds" - Henry Rollins

Registered User LatissimusDorsi's Avatar
    LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I pick them off between sets