Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    user649643214 will become famous soon enough. (+50) user649643214 will become famous soon enough. (+50) user649643214 will become famous soon enough. (+50) user649643214 will become famous soon enough. (+50) user649643214 will become famous soon enough. (+50) user649643214 will become famous soon enough. (+50) user649643214 will become famous soon enough. (+50) user649643214 will become famous soon enough. (+50) user649643214 will become famous soon enough. (+50) user649643214 will become famous soon enough. (+50) user649643214 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

banned exercises

http://www.revised-training.com/banned_exercises.htm

1. Bench Press
    2. Triceps kickback
    3. Lunges
    4. Preacher curls
    5. Upright rows
    6. Military press
    7. Hyper-extensions
    8. Straight bar curls

I can't believe most my fav exercises are banned......

vascularing defination Newbtime's Avatar
    Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Talking

Originally Posted by yusof

1. Bench Press
    2. Triceps kickback
    3. Lunges
    4. Preacher curls
    5. Upright rows
    6. Military press
    7. Hyper-extensions
    8. Straight bar curls

Straiht bar curls are great for overloading your biceps,Bench press is good to add strength to triceps and pecs.the rest,who cares they suck

-

I have misplaced my pants wiggles's Avatar
    wiggles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wiggles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wiggles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wiggles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wiggles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wiggles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wiggles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wiggles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wiggles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wiggles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wiggles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Straight bar curls? I always thought of them as the core of any bicep routine.

vascularing defination Newbtime's Avatar
    Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Smile

Originally Posted by wiggles
    Straight bar curls? I always thought of them as the core of any bicep routine.
    Bump,besides,who the **** calls them straight bar curls anyway lol

-

RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Lunges do not suck.

johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by zackmurphy
    Aren't you guys curious WHY they're "banned"? Like with lunges, for example. I can tell you why they're on that list, but isn't anyone curious?
    Well, according to the link because you do 1 leg at a time. Kind of a ridiculous reason. Also, limited amount of weight you can use and limited resistance throughout the entire exercise. I think lunges are OK, and sometimes I do them at the very end of my leg workout. I certainly wouldn't call them useless, but they aren't up there with squats, deadlifts, leg press, etc.
    Last edited by johnsbod; 03-25-2005 at 10:19 PM.

gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymaddict01 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    this is the dumbest topic ive seen ....who put this list on bb.com? bench press and military banned? they are stupid...lunges are a great leg builder also.
    Last edited by gymaddict01; 03-25-2005 at 10:23 PM.

wiggles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wiggles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wiggles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wiggles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wiggles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wiggles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wiggles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wiggles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wiggles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wiggles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wiggles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Oldtime
    Bump,besides,who the **** calls them straight bar curls anyway lol

-
    I read his reasoning behind that, and the first half is attacking form (anyone who's serious knows how to keep thier back straight, their arms at their sides, and the weight controlled), and the second half just completly lost me. Some crap about rotating you hands around. I dunno.

zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by johnsbod
    Well, according to the link because you do 1 leg at a time. Kind of a ridiculous reason. Also, limited amount of weight you can use and limited resistance throughout the entire exercise. I think lunges are OK, and sometimes I do them at the very end of my leg workout. I certainly wouldn't call them useless, but they aren't up there with squats, deadlifts, leg press, etc.
    Ahhh, you caught me before I could delete my original post - I didn't see that he'd added links to fully explain each. Last I saw Atrainer's site, he hadn't had the full explanations.

Anyway, I don't agree with all of his stuff, but his logic on the lunges is rock solid to me.

I also agree fully on straight bar curls (I call them that), preachers, kickbacks, hyperextentions, and the bench press. But not because those exercises are evil and you should never do that, but because there are way to do them better, correctly, or simply better moves for the same parts.

cody3308 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) cody3308 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) cody3308 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) cody3308 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) cody3308 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) cody3308 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) cody3308 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) cody3308 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) cody3308 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) cody3308 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) cody3308 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    I could see upright rows because just about everyone does them the wrong way, which can cause sholder problems, also military press can sometimes cause shoulder problems, but it is still one of my favorites.
    Previous Log: Performance Cut http://www.synergymuscle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478&page=1

Previous Log: H-Blocker and CE-XL http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=807025

johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) johnsbod has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Ahhh, you caught me before I could delete my original post - I didn't see that he'd added links to fully explain each. Last I saw Atrainer's site, he hadn't had the full explanations.

Anyway, I don't agree with all of his stuff, but his logic on the lunges is rock solid to me.

I also agree fully on straight bar curls (I call them that), preachers, kickbacks, hyperextentions, and the bench press. But not because those exercises are evil and you should never do that, but because there are way to do them better, correctly, or simply better moves for the same parts.
    Ya, I agree with you on exercise selection. The only time I used lunges is at the end of my leg workout, and I haven't done them for about a month now. I'm not sure if I'll do them again. I wouldn't call them a complete waste of time, but there are much better exercises. Having lunges as your main leg exercise would be like doing tricep kickbacks for tris instead of any number of better exercises at the top of the list like dips and CGBP.

I don't think it's fair to rule out all exercises that alternate, like lunges, though. I like doing alternating dumbell curls at the end of my bicep workout.

zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Ya, I agree with you on exercise selection. The only time I used lunges is at the end of my leg workout, and I haven't done them for about a month now. I'm not sure if I'll do them again. I wouldn't call them a complete waste of time, but there are much better exercises. Having lunges as your main leg exercise would be like doing tricep kickbacks for tris instead of any number of better exercises at the top of the list like dips and CGBP.
    Right. And Wayne himself has slight modifications for most of those that take them off the banned list, but the ideas are sound. Most people get really defensive any time the bench press, shoulder press or curls are blasphemed, but there really are better ways to do most of those.

The only place Wayne and I totally diverge is on movements in general: he's an isolationist, and I'm not. But he knows his ****.

I haven't seen him on the boards in a while. Not sure what he's up to.

What do you consider some very good bicep exercises?

The only place Wayne and I totally diverge is on movements in general: he's an isolationist, and I'm not. But he knows his ****.

I haven't seen him on the boards in a while. Not sure what he's up to.
    I believe in heavy compounds as well, but flat bench will probably not be in my chest workout too much longer. I'm getting much better results from incline, decline, and dips.

His version of cable flyes I have to say are pretty good for chest development though.

Originally Posted by wiggles
    What do you consider some very good bicep exercises?
    A combination of different movements. Cable curls (facing away from stack), preachers (with the pad reversed), and DB curls with an arm blaster.

That would hit the bicep with the max resistance at each of the three positions (beginning, middle, and end of contraction).

But of course, I wouldn't do all three of those every time, and I would shuffle in other moves now and then, like incline curls, EZ-curls (again, arm blaster).

And there's chins, supinated BB rows, and other back work I like.

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)
    A combination of different movements. Cable curls (facing away from stack), preachers (with the pad reversed), and DB curls with an arm blaster.

That would hit the bicep with the max resistance at each of the three positions (beginning, middle, and end of contraction).

But of course, I wouldn't do all three of those every time, and I would shuffle in other moves now and then, like incline curls, EZ-curls (again, arm blaster).

And there's chins, supinated BB rows, and other back work I like.
    Wide arc db curls on a preacher bench are my new favorite. Those ****ers have beefed up my inner bi's(which have been a weakpoint) so fast that they now dwarf my outer bi's.

For some movements, and bicep and chest stuff are the big two, you really have to be objective about it. Throw out all the stuff you think you know, and think about what you're truly trying to do with your chest workout. You need to overload and fatigue the pecs. The way to do that is with flexion on the pec with a complete ROM and as little outside influence as possible. You don't want another group getting in on the action and helping the pecs during the hard part.

Now, if you're a power lifter or strength fan, fine - BPs are the shiznit, and go ahead. But if you're in it for the hypertrophy, then various forms of flies (including ATrainers) really are a good design. Regular flies still recruit front delt, but at least the tris are taken out.

We all need to get past the "how much do you bench" stuff, and just think about what we're trying to do. For ALL parts. Most of the gym standards are just regurgetated garbage. Some works, some does not. Up to you all to figure it out.

EDIT: by the "big two", I mean the two movements that most people are most concerned with - not the two most important moves in general.
    Last edited by zackmurphy; 03-25-2005 at 10:57 PM.

Originally Posted by DiamondDelts
    Wide arc db curls on a preacher bench are my new favorite. Those ****ers have beefed up my inner bi's(which have been a weakpoint) so fast that they now dwarf my outer bi's.
    Angled side of the bench or flat side?

I should do those more. Don't do those but every 3 months. Usually don't even think about them. Next workout is back and bis. I'll do those.

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up

Angled side of the bench or flat side?

I should do those more. Don't do those but every 3 months. Usually don't even think about them. Next workout is back and bis. I'll do those.
    On the angled side. The way I do these is to sit sideways on the preacher bench. I then let my arm hang down direcly parallel to me and then curl the weight back up to the side of my forehead. I **** you not these have put at least a half-inch on my inner bi's in less than 2 months.

I have always had ****ty inner(lacking thickness)bi's due to my long arms, but these have beefed them up quickly. They now are much bigger than my outer bi/brachialis which as always been a strength for me.

On the angled side. The way I do these is to sit sideways on the preacher bench. I then let my arm hang down direcly parallel to me and then curl the weight back up to the side of my forehead. I **** you not these have put at least a half-inch on my inner bi's in less than 2 months.

I have always had ****ty inner(lacking thickness)bi's due to my long arms, but these have beefed them up quickly. They now are much bigger than my outer bi/brachialis which as always been a strength for me.
    Ah, yes. That would be a nice stretch at the bottom of the ROM, and probably help to lengthen the bicep and decrease the bicep "gap" - a lower developer. Just let that weight down carefully. Don't want you to detach a bicep.

Smile

Ah, yes. That would be a nice stretch at the bottom of the ROM, and probably help to lengthen the bicep and decrease the bicep "gap" - a lower developer. Just let that weight down carefully. Don't want you to detach a bicep.
    Ha, ha. I agree. These hit the inner bi's HARD, and I can definitely feel the stretch in the small bicep gap. So I don't want to hyperextend or detach some ****. But I never go heavier than 55 pounds a dumbell on these. They are so DAMN effective, I don't need to go any heavier.

I'll have to try these. This would be similar to overhead cable curls, no???

Ummmm, I wouldn't think so. Overhead cable curls would emphasize late-ROM contraction - DD's preachers more the early-ROM.

The DB is out laterally, so that's similar, but the resistance pattern would differ.

I'm off to bed. Don't talk about anything interesting for the next 8 hours.

They would be the freeweight version of cable crossover curls on the high pulley. There is a pic of the cable version here on this page under the biceps section.

http://www.limk.com/golimk.php?lid=34959

I do a freeweight version that mimmics that movement except on a preacher bench. If my digital camera was working, I would just take a pic of it. I will see if I can put in a thread tomorrow. But I know these are the best inner bi exercise I have ever done. I have never seen such a drastic difference in my bi's in such a short period of time.

Ummmm, I wouldn't think so. Overhead cable curls would emphasize late-ROM contraction - DD's preachers more the early-ROM.

The DB is out laterally, so that's similar, but the resistance pattern would differ.

I'm off to bed. Don't talk about anything interesting for the next 8 hours.
    Thanks, I see your point. And don't worry, I'm not too interesting this time of night.

They would be the freeweight version of cable crossover curls on the high pulley. There is a pic of the cable version here on this page under the biceps section.

http://www.limk.com/golimk.php?lid=34959

I do a freeweight version that mimmics that movement. If my digital camera was working, I would just take a pic of it. I will see if I can put in a thread tomorrow. But I know these are the best inner bi exercise I have ever done. I have never seen such a drastic difference in my bi's in such a short period of time.
    Thanks for the link. I'm going to try them on Monday.

whiplash is a jewel in the rough. (+500) whiplash is a jewel in the rough. (+500) whiplash is a jewel in the rough. (+500) whiplash is a jewel in the rough. (+500) whiplash is a jewel in the rough. (+500) whiplash is a jewel in the rough. (+500) whiplash is a jewel in the rough. (+500) whiplash is a jewel in the rough. (+500) whiplash is a jewel in the rough. (+500) whiplash is a jewel in the rough. (+500) whiplash is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Angry

what the ????

How can these exercises be banned?? I hope someone is pulling a fast one.

Military press and straight bar curls are my favorite..........followed by the other ones close behind....WTF?

I will never use a proper curling bar. I will stay with the bar bell. I am not stopping my routines just because some nut thinks they are banned or some tool thinks that they arnt any good........

Whats the deal?
    Last edited by whiplash; 03-26-2005 at 12:42 AM.

Question

Originally Posted by whiplash
    what the ????

How can these exercises be banned?? I hope someone is pulling a fast one.

Military press and straight bar curls are my favorite..........followed by the other ones close behind....WTF?

I will never use a proper curling bar. I will stay with the bar bell. I am not stopping my routines just because some nut thinks they are banned.....

Whats the deal?
    Did you click on the link and read the reasoning behind it? That might give you some insight as to where he was coming from.

Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Talking

1. Bench Press
    2. Triceps kickback
    3. Lunges
    4. Preacher curls
    5. Upright rows
    6. Military press
    7. Hyper-extensions
    8. Straight bar curls

LMFAO!!!

Kickbacks uselss? Lunges useless? PREACHER CURLS USELESS?! MILITARY PRESSES USELESS?!?!?!

That website is a big bag of bull****.
    Last edited by Uriel_da_man; 03-26-2005 at 01:29 AM.

SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    1. Bench Press
    2. Triceps kickback
    3. Lunges
    4. Preacher curls
    5. Upright rows
    6. Military press
    7. Hyper-extensions
    8. Straight bar curls
    1. bench press - as a chest developer, yes it is "useless", there are better exercises like db presses and flys. but for triceps strength, its great
    2. kickbacks - yeah, useless
    3. lunges - these are good for athletic reasons, for developing strength in each leg when only one will be used at a time
    4. preachers - there are better exercises out there... chins, rows, hammer curls
    5. upright rows- banned
    6. military press- same as bench. for size go with raises and db presses
    7. hyperextensions- do rack deads, goodmornings, reverse hypers or pullthroughs
    8. curls - do these right and they are good. still chins, rows, and hammers are better

lucubration. will become famous soon enough. (+50) lucubration. will become famous soon enough. (+50) lucubration. will become famous soon enough. (+50) lucubration. will become famous soon enough. (+50) lucubration. will become famous soon enough. (+50) lucubration. will become famous soon enough. (+50) lucubration. will become famous soon enough. (+50) lucubration. will become famous soon enough. (+50) lucubration. will become famous soon enough. (+50) lucubration. will become famous soon enough. (+50) lucubration. will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Here's my little "discussion" with A Trainer re this crap.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...ghlight=banned
    Last edited by lucubration.; 03-26-2005 at 01:33 AM.