Phaenx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phaenx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phaenx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phaenx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phaenx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phaenx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bench Press - Going to failure alone.

Hey guys,

I was wondering how you deal with working out alone on programs that tell you to do as much weight in a set so your body fails after so many reps. I have the problem on bench (incline, decline, chest) with free weights where I won't work as hard from fear of losing my juice and having the bar pin me down, thus making me look like a jackass. So I'll load up 225, do like 4 or 5 reps and rack it up. The thing is I can bench 280 6 or 7 times on a smith or press machine, I just have the luxury of knowing it doesn't matter if I fail to get it up. The problem there is those guys don't work the stablizing muscles too much I don't believe, so I need to get back to free weights or give dumbell presses a shot.

So what to do? Does anyone else have this problem?

ColdIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ColdIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ColdIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ColdIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ColdIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ColdIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ColdIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ColdIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ColdIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I work out alone in the privacy of my own "gym" in the building behind my house. There have been a few times that I had to let the plates slide off the bar after I went to failure. Each time, I thought I could get that one last rep. By now, I've gotten to the point where I know exactly what I can do, and I know when to quit without robbing myself of reps. But I suppose if you're working out in a gym, you'd definately appear foolish if you reach failure and have to sit the bar on your chest. I would suggest dumbells in your scenario. It's the safest thing and is definately superior to the smith machine.
    Bigger than the big guy at your gym ... at 8% bodyfat

Feel free to rep me if I've helped, and I'll do the same for you.

ISSA Certified Personal Trainer

_Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    BD bench is alot better then smith, or BB. you just gotta leave the ego out the door..my bench was 220 last summer..i started doin DB bench and i was only able to do 65's. Now im at 90's. Takes time, and not worryin when someone asks "how much can u bench"

ElTippo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElTippo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElTippo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElTippo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElTippo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElTippo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElTippo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElTippo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElTippo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ^^ Good advice in the posts above.

I went to failure the other day in the gym and had to roll the bar down my chest and stomach before I could sit, lift and re-rack. I felt like an ass but I don't really care, I'm not there to make friends and influence people. I learnt from the experience and use db's now.

bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    db bench or (not to sound like AJ but) rack lockouts
    Chicks dig big calves

You're doing it wrong. BladeRun's Avatar
    BladeRun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BladeRun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BladeRun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BladeRun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BladeRun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BladeRun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BladeRun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BladeRun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BladeRun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BladeRun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BladeRun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It comes mostly with experience and knowing your body. I trained alone for 5 years, and I can now tell exactly which rep I will fail on. I honestly press more weight without a spotter than with. Its a mind game. When I know there's someone to catch the bar if I get stuck, I don't work as hard.

And toss in another vote for dumbbell bench when you're going solo.
    "You are a factory of sadness."

Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Smith machines are normally counter balanced by about 35 lbs I think. Which means you are doing 245. Add in lack of stabilizers and you are at 225.
    I am not trying to be better than you, just better than myself
    BB jiu jitsu team 2009

Thee Alpha of Thee Alphaz GameDayDog's Avatar
    Location: GameDayDog's Center for Folks Who Can't Workout Good and Would Like To Do Other Things Good, Too!
    GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Cool Benching Alone..

I'm in favor of dumbbell benching... but if you have to bench alone and insyst on getting that last rep, don't use the collars after you put the weights on the bar... that way you can concentrate on getting one syde of the bar up and have the weights on the other end (hopefully) slyde off... - Lyft smart!

Peace..~G
    I am the Alpha ... RaSP is the oMEGA ... Between the 2 of us - We have everythyng covered...

2300+ Non-Rule Breaking Posts ... 0 Negative Reps.

My favorite threads are the locked & deleted ones.

Everyone find a post by DBFLGirl and rep it... Please!

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    bench in the power rack
    <->

LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    first off, i think most of us have gotten 'stuck' under the bar at some point. at least, i know i have. i dont recommend the 'let the weights slide off one
    end' technique, simply because when they do, then the bar immediatedly flies up the other way and the other ends' plates then come crashing down. if you're not ready for the torque created, you can definitely strain something. the safer way is to roll the bar down your chest, over your abs, and so on... can bump the 'package' pretty hard too, if you dont look out, so be careful...

anyway, if it happens in a public gym, so be it. you need to be concerned about your own health and safety and NOT about what jamoke says/thinks about what you did. dont kill yourself......

best,
    lifer
    They ARE who we THOUGHT they were.....

porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by $AJ
    bench in the power rack
    Right on.

ANd if you are in a gym, it's ok to ask someone for a spot. If anyone ever asks me for a spot, I always say yes. Most people are cool that way

TDW586 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDW586 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDW586 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDW586 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDW586 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDW586 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDW586 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDW586 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDW586 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDW586 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TDW586 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Phaenx
    Hey guys,

I was wondering how you deal with working out alone on programs that tell you to do as much weight in a set so your body fails after so many reps. I have the problem on bench (incline, decline, chest) with free weights where I won't work as hard from fear of losing my juice and having the bar pin me down, thus making me look like a jackass. So I'll load up 225, do like 4 or 5 reps and rack it up. The thing is I can bench 280 6 or 7 times on a smith or press machine, I just have the luxury of knowing it doesn't matter if I fail to get it up. The problem there is those guys don't work the stablizing muscles too much I don't believe, so I need to get back to free weights or give dumbell presses a shot.

So what to do? Does anyone else have this problem?

Any reason you can't just ask someone for a spot?

tiny.t will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiny.t will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiny.t will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiny.t will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiny.t will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiny.t will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiny.t will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiny.t will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiny.t will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiny.t will become famous soon enough. (+50) tiny.t will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    DBs or power rack.Just ask someone to spot,most ppl wont mind.
    Why does **** have HIT in it?
    FINALLY LIFTING AGAIN!!!PROPERLY!!!LETS ADD SOME BEEF!!

Redmeat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Good points here..... but remember going to failure is not wise to do often. I never go to failure and Big Ronnie says he stops when he even knows he has a rep or two yet in him.Failure really taxes the nervious system and most injurys occur when going to failure and using bad form along with other muscles to get the failure rep. I hate to see guys in the gym usally spotted growning and howling to get another rep in while their lug head spotter yells..do it p***y get it up... give me one more...yea.. ONE MORE TEAR OR HEMORAGED MUSCLE. Never go to failure alone collers or not ...just dont.
    Redmeat