Radio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Radio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Radio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

The difference between hypertrophy and strength training?

I see some people advocte higher rep ranges when training for muscle size as opposed to training for pure strength. I always throught that the both were the same expect when training for size diet was alot more important than if you were traing for pure strenght. Because when training for strength you are not botherd about your weight but when training for muscle size then you are eating to put on the pounds of muscle.

So do the rep ranges actualy make much of a difference. Iv seen guys with great bodys who only train as if it was for strength. Like 3 rep sets on bench and overhead press.

Can someone actualy give me a difinative answer as to what rep ranges are better for muscle growth?

And can you do both in the same workout for example i do this for my chest

5 x 3 reps set of flat bench press with a very heavy weight, slowly uping the weight each week.

Pure strength training as my bench is pathetic and i want to increase it.

Then i do 3 x 6 to 8 reps of incline dumbell press. This pure bodybuilding training.

Then i do a similar thing for over head press. The i do

3 x 6 to 8 dips

Can you combine Hypertrophy and strength training together in this way to get the best of both worlds?

Also if there is a connection to rep range and hypertrophy does this mean that supersets and triple drop set and all that actually work. Because i had dissmissed these as out of date rubbish thinking that just streight heavy sets was better.

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    yep does work... look into westside barbell training... HST adn others like that... now to answer your questions read this...

• Progressive Overload is absolutely imperative in every exercise, making sure that load or reps are increased, or that rest periods are decreased to keep intensity high (during loading phases). (Of course, during the recovery phases, if volume is lowered, and frequency reduced slightly, then intensity can and should still be kept high, although the load should be reduced just slightly (approx. 10%) as there is no reason to attempt to set records through progressive overload during this time of recovery.)
    • Many different rep ranges will be used. I am partial to the use of rep ranges in the 3-10 range, as it tends to give the lifter a great balance of extreme muscle thickness (like the look of a bodybuilder with a powerlifting background) as well as great neural efficiency.
    A. Use of Neural Efficiency (as well as some Myofibral Hypertrophy) occurs in rep ranges of 1-3. (Neural Efficiency increases the percentage of motor units that can be activated at any given time. There is little to no effect on size but increases strength will be great. Little to no protein turnover occurs in this rep range as load is too high and mechanical work is too low.)
    B. Mostly Myofibral and Sarcomere Hypertrophy and very little Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy occur with rep ranges of 3-5. (Sarcomere hypertrophy increases contractile proteins in muscle thereby increasing strength directly and also size. Book knowledge suggests that growth here will be mostly myofibral/ sarcomere hypertrophy and will be accompanied with strength gains in other rep ranges and improvements in neural efficiency. Therefore this is perhaps the best rep range for increasing strength. Better balance of load / work done for hypertrophy so no surprises there.)
    C. Myofibral, Sarcomere, and Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy (lots of growth as well strength gain within this rep range with little transfer to 1rm) occur with rep ranges of 5-10. (Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy does not directly increase strength but can affect it by increasing tendon angle at the attachment - but of course it increases size.)
    D. Some Sarcoplasmic with little Myofibral and Sarcomere Hypertrophy occur in rep ranges of 10-15. (More fatigue and a greater extent of waste products are associated with this rep range. Possible increase in capillary density.)
    E. Capillary density increases with little Sarcoplasmic growth with rep ranges above 15. (Muscle endurace begins to become a factor (but who needs that?). Also, waste products are intense – lactic acid buildup to the point of making some individuals sick.)

Reuter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reuter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    There are 3 aspects that need to be utilized in a long term training regimen. hyperrtrophy(9-12), strength(5-8), and power(1-5). All these need to be represented at one point or another most likely in a cycle of some sort so you get the benefits of everyone. Allot of people dont believe in or dont realize that doing one or the other only is leaving yourself out on a limb. So i would suggest doing something like doing each one for 4 weeks. This is how you stay out of ruts. And as for the super sets andd what not, those are also used to throw your body something different and usually are quite effective. hope this helps.
    the body is your temple

Reuter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reuter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    And what he says. lol. Well said Scott Donald.
    the body is your temple