Utah...but I'm taller batteryrequired's Avatar
    batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000)

Smile Archie Griffin-Estate sale find

I went down the street from my house to an Estate sale yesterday. As i was looking things over I saw people walking by various paintings so I thought I would walk over and check some of them out. I stopped at this one of a portrait of a sports figure. Let me scan back to the 70's real quick. There used to be what was called the International Palace of Sports in North Webster, Indiana and every summer they would have a huge festival with a major sports celebrity as the grand marshal in the parade and they would be inducted as well as others into the Hall of Fame they had there. Past grand marshals were Bobby Riggs, O.J. Simpson, Archie Griffin (ok....ya get the picture now)....anyhow back in 1975 I got to see Archie as the grand marshal. He had just gotten his 2nd Heisman Award playing for Ohio St. Now....back to yesterday. I am standing there looking at this 2'x3' framed canvas painting...around the top part of the frame says "King of Sports", the brass plate at the bottom says Archie Griffin, 1975, Palace of Sports". The place was closed down several years ago. People are walking by this and looking at it (I could tell they had no clue). Man did I snatch that thing up. I will post a picture of it later and post it on here. Anyone know where I can look up on the internet or where to call to see what this is worth possibly?
    Last edited by batteryrequired; 08-30-2007 at 03:42 AM.
    Double T Sponsored Athlete!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.

"If you are going through hell... keep going" Sir Winston Churchill

WtexanW will become famous soon enough. (+50) WtexanW will become famous soon enough. (+50) WtexanW will become famous soon enough. (+50) WtexanW will become famous soon enough. (+50) WtexanW will become famous soon enough. (+50) WtexanW will become famous soon enough. (+50) WtexanW will become famous soon enough. (+50) WtexanW will become famous soon enough. (+50) WtexanW will become famous soon enough. (+50) WtexanW will become famous soon enough. (+50) WtexanW will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up

Awesome find. I don't know how you would find the value on that. Maybe list it on e-bay and let someone else determine the value. I look forward to seeing a picture of it.
    "I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, I just hope it ain't a train."
    Tex

deags is on a distinguished road. (+10) deags is on a distinguished road. (+10) deags is on a distinguished road. (+10) deags is on a distinguished road. (+10) deags is on a distinguished road. (+10) deags is on a distinguished road. (+10) deags is on a distinguished road. (+10) deags is on a distinguished road. (+10) deags is on a distinguished road. (+10) deags is on a distinguished road. (+10) deags is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up I am a Buckeye Alum!

Growing up, I saw Archie play several times, including the Rose Bowl - cherish that picture!!!! And......GO BUCKS!

Mike

newmexico123 is just really nice. (+1000) newmexico123 is just really nice. (+1000) newmexico123 is just really nice. (+1000) newmexico123 is just really nice. (+1000) newmexico123 is just really nice. (+1000) newmexico123 is just really nice. (+1000) newmexico123 is just really nice. (+1000) newmexico123 is just really nice. (+1000) newmexico123 is just really nice. (+1000) newmexico123 is just really nice. (+1000) newmexico123 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by batteryrequired View Post
    I went down the street from my house to an Estate sale yesterday. As i was looking things over I saw people walking by various paintings so I thought I would walk over and check some of them out. I stopped at this one of a portrait of a sports figure. Let me scan back to the 70's real quick. There used to be what was called the International Palace of Sports in North Webster, Indiana and every summer they would have a huge festival with a major sports celebrity as the grand marshal in the parade and they would be inducted as well as others into the Hall of Fame they had there. Past grand marshals were Bobby Riggs, O.J. Simpson, Archie Griffin (ok....ya get the picture now)....anyhow back in 1975 I got to see Archie as the grand marshal. He had just gotten his 2nd Heisman Award playing for Ohio St. Now....back to yesterday. I am standing there looking at this 2'x3' framed canvas painting...around the top part of the frame says "King of Sports", the brass plate at the bottom says Archie Griffin, 1975, Palace of Sports". The place was closed down several years ago. People are walking by this and looking at it (I could tell they had no clue). Man did I snatch that thing up. I will post a picture of it later and post it on here. Anyone know where I can look up on the internet or where to call to see what this is worth possibly?
    I would think that a Buckeye fan would pay more for it than just about anybody else - maybe avertise in the Columbus, Ohio area?

batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by deags View Post
    Growing up, I saw Archie play several times, including the Rose Bowl - cherish that picture!!!! And......GO BUCKS!

Mike
    I remember watching those games as well on TV. I am a Bucks fan too during football season...living and working in Columbus, Ohio for 12-13 years, how could I not be.
    Still Notre Dame is still on my priority list though....lol. Then Ohio St. I live pretty close to the Irish Stadium.

Originally Posted by newmexico123 View Post
    I would think that a Buckeye fan would pay more for it than just about anybody else - maybe avertise in the Columbus, Ohio area?
    Will probably never sell it, but would love to know what it would be worth though.
    Last edited by batteryrequired; 08-30-2007 at 10:54 AM.

joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Nice find batts. This link can be helpful in sports memorabilia:

http://www.sothebys.com/app/live/dep...jsp?dept_id=49

(Archie himself might even be interested, even though you don't want to sell it.)

Originally Posted by joed View Post
    Nice find batts. This link can be helpful in sports memorabilia:

http://www.sothebys.com/app/live/dep...jsp?dept_id=49

(Archie himself might even be interested, even though you don't want to sell it.)
    Cool, thanks. I will check that out.

Meanwhile here is the photo of the picture.
    Attached Images