Thread: Fly question

IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000)

Fly question

I found out the hard way that my mid-back is not yet ready to do bench flies. While I love the stretch it gives me, it causes too much rib movement and I was once again plagued by subluxated ribs last month. My cable contraption does allow for pec decks, but they don't seem to focus where I want them to.

So my question is would I be better off abandoning flies completely, use the pec deck, or lay on the floor while doing DB flies (this would eliminate the "deep" stretch and minimize rib movement)?
    Any workout you can walk away from is a good workout.

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam greyhair's Avatar
    greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by IdahoViking View Post
    I found out the hard way that my mid-back is not yet ready to do bench flies. While I love the stretch it gives me, it causes too much rib movement and I was once again plagued by subluxated ribs last month. My cable contraption does allow for pec decks, but they don't seem to focus where I want them to.

So my question is would I be better off abandoning flies completely, use the pec deck, or lay on the floor while doing DB flies (this would eliminate the "deep" stretch and minimize rib movement)?
    IV,

How about using cables?
    Many cable systems allow you to adjust the height of the pulley.
    If you place the pulley about at bench level, there will be very little force at the bottom of the movement and more as you contract.
    You can pretty much "dial in" the amount of force you want at the bottom using that approach.
    Of course, you can switch to cable cross overs and make similar adjustments.

Good luck
    But those who fight for right must remember St. Augustine's sage words,
    "right is right even if no one is doing it...and wrong is wrong even if every one is doing it!"
    -----------
    Got Causality?
    -----------
    God, Duty, Honour, Country

DanVanVliet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DanVanVliet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DanVanVliet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DanVanVliet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DanVanVliet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DanVanVliet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DanVanVliet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DanVanVliet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DanVanVliet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DanVanVliet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DanVanVliet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by greyhair View Post
    IV,

How about using cables?
    If you place the pulley about at bench level, there will be very little force at the bottom of the movement and more as you contract.
    You can pretty much "dial in" the amount of force you want at the bottom using that approach.

Good luck
    X2
    I miss Beer
    I'm Ready (SpongeBob Squarepants)

IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by greyhair View Post
    IV,

How about using cables?

Good luck
    I think at the moment if I purchased any more equipment for my home gym my wife would have a "hissy-fit". At the moment, I'm trying to make do with what I already have.

But a good suggestion none the less.

DanVanVliet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DanVanVliet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DanVanVliet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DanVanVliet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DanVanVliet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DanVanVliet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DanVanVliet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DanVanVliet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DanVanVliet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DanVanVliet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DanVanVliet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Try going with very light weight on an incline bench.In kind of a semi circle.Down then slightly upward no higher than your shoulder.
    I miss Beer

pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I would abandon the flyes. There are many other movements you can do hit your pecs. Can you do DB benches (flat and incline)? If so, I would try adding those to your regimen and see what shakes out.

Ray
    Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven... so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. Matt. 6: 1-4

Originally Posted by DanVanVliet View Post
    Try going with very light weight on an incline bench.In kind of a semi circle.Down then slightly upward no higher than your shoulder.
    Huh?

The problem occurs at the bottom when my arms are at the lowest position, when the mid-back is 'crunched' a bit. That's why I was wondering if doing them on the floor would help. That way my arms could not drop below the plane of my body.

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam greyhair's Avatar
    greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000)
    I think at the moment if I purchased any more equipment for my home gym my wife would have a "hissy-fit". At the moment, I'm trying to make do with what I already have.

But a good suggestion none the less.
    Shoot!
    Didn't realize that you were "home bound"
    This is a tough one.
    I think the flyes are toast.
    But those who fight for right must remember St. Augustine's sage words,
    "right is right even if no one is doing it...and wrong is wrong even if every one is doing it!"
    -----------
    Got Causality?
    -----------
    God, Duty, Honour, Country

Originally Posted by pastorgbc View Post
    I would abandon the flyes. There are many other movements you can do hit your pecs. Can you do DB benches (flat and incline)? If so, I would try adding those to your regimen and see what shakes out.

Ray
    I've never tried DB benches, so I don't know how they will effect me. However I do have DB handles that I can load with free weights, so I guess that there is really nothing preventing me from trying, other than myself.

Is there a general rule of thumb for guesstimating where to start out with them based on your BB Bench?

Huh?

The problem occurs at the bottom when my arms are at the lowest position, when the mid-back is 'crunched' a bit. That's why I was wondering if doing them on the floor would help. That way my arms could not drop below the plane of my body.
    The way I do them your arms are in front of you I wish I had a picture they work the pec good with very little stress. Kind of like clapping with your hands streched out in front of you, hope this will give you a mental picture.
    I miss Beer

Originally Posted by DanVanVliet View Post
    The way I do them your arms are in front of you I wish I had a picture they work the pec good with very little stress. Kind of like clapping with your hands streched out in front of you, hope this will give you a mental picture.
    So you don't go through the full ROM, just the last part?

I've been lower my arms all the way down, then all the way back up.

So you don't go through the full ROM, just the last part?

I've been lower my arms all the way down, then all the way back up.
    Yea try it with 10 pounds at first to get the feel then up from there I useally stay at 20 or less but they work. My new pic will show it, Posted this weekend some time.
    I miss Beer

Joe Go has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Joe Go has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Joe Go has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Joe Go has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Joe Go has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Joe Go has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Joe Go has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Joe Go has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Joe Go has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Joe Go has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Joe Go has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You could also add across bench pull-overs to your routine. It'll stretch your ribs in a different direction. Might help the over all picture with time. Just keep it light until you get the feel for it.

Originally Posted by Joe Go View Post
    You could also add across bench pull-overs to your routine. It'll stretch your ribs in a different direction. Might help the over all picture with time. Just keep it light until you get the feel for it.
    I wonder if that would help with subluxating problem? Might be worth a try.

newmexico123 is just really nice. (+1000) newmexico123 is just really nice. (+1000) newmexico123 is just really nice. (+1000) newmexico123 is just really nice. (+1000) newmexico123 is just really nice. (+1000) newmexico123 is just really nice. (+1000) newmexico123 is just really nice. (+1000) newmexico123 is just really nice. (+1000) newmexico123 is just really nice. (+1000) newmexico123 is just really nice. (+1000) newmexico123 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by pastorgbc View Post

Ray
    x2 if it hurts don't do it

rudai123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rudai123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rudai123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rudai123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rudai123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rudai123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rudai123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rudai123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rudai123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rudai123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rudai123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by newmexico123 View Post
    x2 if it hurts don't do it
    X3 I stopped doing DB flys years ago. That exact "stretch"/ROM you are talking about would partially dislocate my left shoulder. Now I just do DB Bench, DB Incline, DB Decline, and cable crossovers.
    Pride is what compels a man to work hard when no one else is looking.

Captain Ahab is just really nice. (+1000) Captain Ahab is just really nice. (+1000) Captain Ahab is just really nice. (+1000) Captain Ahab is just really nice. (+1000) Captain Ahab is just really nice. (+1000) Captain Ahab is just really nice. (+1000) Captain Ahab is just really nice. (+1000) Captain Ahab is just really nice. (+1000) Captain Ahab is just really nice. (+1000) Captain Ahab is just really nice. (+1000) Captain Ahab is just really nice. (+1000)
    I may have found the cause of your problem, which I think is in the last paragraph of my message.
    How to do a flat-bench flye.
    Lie face-up on an exercise bench with your feet flat on the floor. Your head, back and glutes should all be touching the bench.
    Hold a dumbbell in each hand with your palms facing each other, arms extended above your chest. Lock a slight bend in your arms and maintain that position throughout the movement.
    Inhale slightly more than usual and hold your breath as you lower your arms directly out to your sides.
    As your arms approach shoulder level or slightly below, contract your pectoral muscles to reverse direction, maintain that slight bend in your elbows. Follow the same arc to return to the arms-vertical position and exhale.
    Pause momentarily and repeat for reps.
    AVOID using excessively HEAVY weights, which may force you to bend your elbows too much and lower your elbows too far below the level of your shoulders. Bending the elbows more than just slightly turns the flye into more of a press, changing the muscular involvement; bringing your arms lower than the level of your shoulders can cause injury.