Registered User Hungry4knowledg's Avatar
    Hungry4knowledg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hungry4knowledg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hungry4knowledg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hungry4knowledg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hungry4knowledg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hungry4knowledg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Making the switch to strength training

I need a little reassurance here. For about the past five months I've been training and eating mainly to gain size. And with good results. I've gained about 20lbs(mostly lean) and added about two inches to my arms. But my lifts haven't really improved, and my gains are sort of tapering off a little. So now after taking my first one week break from lifting, I'm thinking about switching to a routine to mainly help me gain strength for a couple months.

My question is: would adding more weight to my exercises and subsequently doing fewer reps force my body from hypertrophy mode to strength mode?
    We're only as strong as our weakest link.

Carpe Diem, Carpe Nocturna

bruno is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bruno is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bruno is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bruno is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bruno is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bruno is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bruno is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bruno is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bruno is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bruno is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bruno is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

hey man

it has been provent hat training to failure with heavy weights in the rep range of 2-6 develop the most strength. do some heavy sets with this rep range on your basic compound exercises and your body has no choice but to respond with pure strenght and muscle growth. dont bother with sets over 12 reps. the highest i would go for reps is maybe 8-10. use the heaviest weights possible with the greatest form and you will gret the results you want.

Registered User Hungry4knowledg's Avatar
    Hungry4knowledg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hungry4knowledg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hungry4knowledg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hungry4knowledg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hungry4knowledg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hungry4knowledg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    All of the exercises that I did in my last routine consisted of 8 reps. My strength went up a little, but by far most of the gains I saw were size.

What I'm thinking about doing is adjusting the weight so that I can get about two good reps per set. And I don't mean going to failure. I know that some people recommend that, but I trust other sources that I've read that say not to. Just go read some of the stuff in the topic of the week section and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Can anyone with some experience in strength training help me out here?
    We're only as strong as our weakest link.

Carpe Diem, Carpe Nocturna