xenny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Sumo style deadlift??

Maybe a stupid question but I'm a bodybuilder not a powerlifter, but I'm interested in powerlifting. Is deadlifting sumo style just as legal as normal style? Surely it just makes it far easier because you're moving the weight less distance. Is there a limit on how far your feet can be apart?

wildman536 is just really nice. (+1000) wildman536 is just really nice. (+1000) wildman536 is just really nice. (+1000) wildman536 is just really nice. (+1000) wildman536 is just really nice. (+1000) wildman536 is just really nice. (+1000) wildman536 is just really nice. (+1000) wildman536 is just really nice. (+1000) wildman536 is just really nice. (+1000) wildman536 is just really nice. (+1000) wildman536 is just really nice. (+1000)
    as far as i know yes.

but wait for a few Powerlifters responses.

italianbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) italianbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) italianbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) italianbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) italianbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) italianbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) italianbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) italianbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) italianbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) italianbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500) italianbencher is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    At the meets ive gone to, deadlifting sumo style is legal. It may look much easier, but unless your have strong legs you will not benefit from it. I believe that the rule aout your feet is that they cannot be outside the last set of "rough" edges on the bar, which is the same for bench. But im not 100% sure.
    Arizona State University Sun Devils

Looking to cut down to around 242 (Currently 333)
    Goal is to loose a **** ton of fat, and get back into powerlifting.

Most Recent maxes
    Bench-340
    Squat-550
    Clean-127.5kg
    Deadlift-Not sure

Real Deal Strength & Con. Cricket_Fire's Avatar
    Cricket_Fire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cricket_Fire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cricket_Fire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cricket_Fire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cricket_Fire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cricket_Fire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cricket_Fire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cricket_Fire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cricket_Fire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cricket_Fire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cricket_Fire will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Deffinatly depends on strengths. It is legal though. I however, have ALOT stronger back then legs, so I pull conventional.

Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000)
    It's definitely more of a hip and leg lift than a conventional stance. I pull sumo in competition but work both styles in training.

There is no limit on how far apart your feet can go. If you put the bar down on your toes then you are probably too far. I usually set up with the inside of my shins just outside the rings on the bar, and with my toes pointed at about a 45 degree angle to the bar.

uk machine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uk machine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uk machine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uk machine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uk machine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uk machine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    sumo may have shorter ROM, but for me and prob a lot of other people, it is just too awkward to pull off. it depends on ur body structure. just do wats best for you. both work will work equally good, but remember that most of the top deadlifters are covenational pullers
    Squat:200kg
    Bench:155kg
    Deadlift:250kg
    drugs are baaad

vascularing defination Newbtime's Avatar
    Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Smile

Originally Posted by xenny
    Maybe a stupid question but I'm a bodybuilder not a powerlifter, but I'm interested in powerlifting. Is deadlifting sumo style just as legal as normal style? Surely it just makes it far easier because you're moving the weight less distance. Is there a limit on how far your feet can be apart?
    no,there isnt a limit.ive seen guys competeing with there feet a half inche away on each side from touchign the plates.

-

Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Smile

Originally Posted by italianbencher
    At the meets ive gone to, deadlifting sumo style is legal. It may look much easier, but unless your have strong legs you will not benefit from it. I believe that the rule aout your feet is that they cannot be outside the last set of "rough" edges on the bar, which is the same for bench. But im not 100% sure.
    That is not true.My back over powers my legs easyly.i did a sumo stance deadlift and deadlifted 10 lbs more then i could do conventional.

-

fuzzwazser will become famous soon enough. (+50) fuzzwazser will become famous soon enough. (+50) fuzzwazser will become famous soon enough. (+50) fuzzwazser will become famous soon enough. (+50) fuzzwazser will become famous soon enough. (+50) fuzzwazser will become famous soon enough. (+50) fuzzwazser will become famous soon enough. (+50) fuzzwazser will become famous soon enough. (+50) fuzzwazser will become famous soon enough. (+50) fuzzwazser will become famous soon enough. (+50) fuzzwazser will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Oldtime
    That is not true.My back over powers my legs easyly.i did a sumo stance deadlift and deadlifted 10 lbs more then i could do conventional.

-
    you probably did what I call a conventional deadlift with a sumo stance. The sumo pull is much more technique oriented then conventional and almost no one seems to get it right. Not saying its true in your case its just the way it normally is.

Wink

Originally Posted by fuzzwazser
    you probably did what I call a conventional deadlift with a sumo stance. The sumo pull is much more technique oriented then conventional and almost no one seems to get it right. Not saying its true in your case its just the way it normally is.
    Your sentance+over my head =

-

xenny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xenny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    From the vids and pictures I've seen it always seems to be the smaller guys doing sumo style with feet very far apart, I've never seen a big guy doing sumo style. There's probably a reason for that, but I can't think what it is.

I've never tried sumo style but in my head, if there's no limit on feet width, surely you can be lifting the weight only an inch of the ground and get a legal lift. Although if I actually were to try this I'm sure the weight wouldn't even move that inch.

I'm a bodybuilder so always do deadlifts in the normal style because it hits more muscles, if I were to powerlift I'd prolly stick with this style.

breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by xenny
    From the vids and pictures I've seen it always seems to be the smaller guys doing sumo style with feet very far apart, I've never seen a big guy doing sumo style. There's probably a reason for that, but I can't think what it is.

I've never tried sumo style but in my head, if there's no limit on feet width, surely you can be lifting the weight only an inch of the ground and get a legal lift. Although if I actually were to try this I'm sure the weight wouldn't even move that inch.

I'm a bodybuilder so always do deadlifts in the normal style because it hits more muscles, if I were to powerlift I'd prolly stick with this style.
    It's because taller guys would really have to squat down a ton to grab the bar if they do sumo.
    Plus, a lot of the bigger guys don't have as much flexibility. So add that with it being a lot more of a squat for them than little guys, and you have a more difficult movment.

Neither is easier, it's just whichever works better for you. The world deadlift record was done raw and conventional, so that dispells the myth that sumo is easier period.
    Last edited by breathingmurder; 03-11-2005 at 07:45 PM. Reason: clarification

Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000)
    Actually, a lot of bigger guys use sumo because it's easier to get down to the bar and get air in a suit. I had to switch from conventional to sumo when I got a Titan suit. I just couldn't get enough air and enough pressure in my abs conventional style. My son has pulled sumo from day 1 and talked me into it, and it worked well for me. It does require practice, more so than conventional I think. Your setup is important and bad form will cause you to miss lifts. I've seen all kinds of body types using it- tall and thinner, shorter and squatter. It's all about what you feel comfortable with and what is most effective for you.

Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tormented will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I just started deadlifting in January, and at first I was doing it conventional, with my feet about shoulder width apart. However, it was awkward as hell because I have naturally long legs and my knees kept getting in the way. Then a couple workouts ago I widened my stance and moved my hands to the inside of my knees and it felt much easier and more natural. I'm not sure if this is sumo style or not but it seems to work for me.
    "There is no room for failure now. The innocent must die."

Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I lift Sumo because I have a really inflexible back. No matter how hard I tried, I could not help having a curve in my lower back when lifting conventional. It never caused any problems (probably because I have yet to pull a big weight), but it always had me worried. So I made the switch and now I have the comfort of knowing I can hold my back straight and lift.
    "A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand."

tokki has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tokki has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tokki has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tokki has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tokki has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tokki has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tokki has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tokki has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tokki has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tokki has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by italianbencher
    You have PL meets in your room?! Do you put 100lbs on your pillows and pretend you are DLing 4 pilows?