TinaC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TinaC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TinaC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TinaC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TinaC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TinaC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TinaC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Cardio and Muscle Strength for fat loss

I think I need some advice. I have been trying to lose weight since May 1st, and so far have lost 19 lbs, but this loss is not as noticable on me as I would have thought. My original goal weight was 130 (5 more lbs), but I truely just want to get to where I feel as fit as I can be...and I know that means losing quite a bit more fat. Since May I have been doing cardio roughly 45-60 min 5-6 days a week and incorporating about 15-30 min of muscle strength training (usually circuits) after cardio due to limited time. (I workout in the morning on an empty stomach). But lately, I have been reading a lot of articles that focus on the importance of lifting to aid in fat loss. I know that it is important, but I could use some advice on if I should do less cardio and more lifting. I am nervous that decreasing my cardio will make me gain back some of my losses. Typically, I circuit train for my muscle strength (which works great and helped me get over my plateau). I only have time for 1 1/2 hrs at the gym a day TOPS, and it typically has to be all in the morning.
    I have also found myself quite a but hungrier than normal lately, which too makes me sceptical because I don't want to consume more than I need and counteract my gains...but I am hoping that my body is just telling me that I need the extra calories.
    I guess I am ranting now, but any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    You must think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be.

-David Viscott

sarca has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sarca has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

I have the same problem some one on this site help me so I will tell you what she said : you are doing to much cardio,also I think you need more w. training in my case when I stared to do more weight training I lost body fat don't be afraid to drop the cardio If you eating right you wouldn't gain weight do 30mnts cardio 5 days and w.training at least 30 to 40 mnts you will see the change in how you cloths fit also eat more protein well I hope this help good luck.

Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by TinaC View Post
    I think I need some advice. I have been trying to lose weight since May 1st, and so far have lost 19 lbs, but this loss is not as noticable on me as I would have thought. My original goal weight was 130 (5 more lbs), but I truely just want to get to where I feel as fit as I can be...and I know that means losing quite a bit more fat. Since May I have been doing cardio roughly 45-60 min 5-6 days a week and incorporating about 15-30 min of muscle strength training (usually circuits) after cardio due to limited time. (I workout in the morning on an empty stomach). But lately, I have been reading a lot of articles that focus on the importance of lifting to aid in fat loss. I know that it is important, but I could use some advice on if I should do less cardio and more lifting. I am nervous that decreasing my cardio will make me gain back some of my losses. Typically, I circuit train for my muscle strength (which works great and helped me get over my plateau). I only have time for 1 1/2 hrs at the gym a day TOPS, and it typically has to be all in the morning.
    I have also found myself quite a but hungrier than normal lately, which too makes me sceptical because I don't want to consume more than I need and counteract my gains...but I am hoping that my body is just telling me that I need the extra calories.
    I guess I am ranting now, but any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I used to do the same thing to myself...too much cardio or too little food with not enough weight training. Somewhere between experimenting with lifting heavy (Max OT is what started it for me), pretty much quitting cardio and eating more, I've made the most progress. I haven't done cardio on a regular basis in two years. Need proof that too much calorie expenditure was harboring my progress? Take a look at my progress pics.

Now, I'm not saying that not doing cardio is GOOD for you. I should probably do more. I just have a hard time not going for hours when I'm in the mood to.

I will admit that the adjustment from not eating quite enough/doing too much cardio was rough. I gained a lot of jiggly fat the first year. After I put on some muscle, though, my yearly bulk hasn't hurt my pride so much. It was just the first year that was rough...and really, that year I was lifting too light for the most part (circuit training and plyo stuff...don't even bother bulking if that's gonna be your focus).

There's a good chance you know all this, but it's worth reminding you of: Muscle takes more energy (calories) to sustain than fat. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn...even when you're sitting on your butt. BUILDING muscle takes even MORE calories than maintaining. When you've placed more importance on building muscle than being small, over the years fat loss will become easier, so long as you continue to eat enough to support the muscle you've gained. The problem comes with the "over the years" part. If you've eaten up a lot of muscle by focusing too much on eating less and doing lots of cardio, there is a good chance you are going to have to deal with some fat fluctuation in a direction you don't like for a while. Unfortunately, it takes more time to build muscle than lose weight in that fat and muscle combo most people do. Most people do not have the patience for that and will fall back into the wasting away form of diet and exercise. Some people are perfectly happy with that if they can fit into a size 2 because the numbers on the clothing tag and on the scale are all they focus on. I'm more concerned about how I look naked, regardless of how big the "numbers" make me out to be...and back when I was doing the too much cardio/not enough food thing, I DID NOT LIKE how I looked as a size 2 (oddly enough, I do have some clothing that are size 2 that I fit in right now...even though I'm 15 lbs heavier than the last time I was a size 2...something to think about there).
    Last edited by Amanda76; 08-25-2007 at 09:56 PM.

TinaC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TinaC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TinaC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TinaC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TinaC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TinaC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TinaC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ok. I will try cutting down on my cardio and experiment with more lifting. Thanks a bunch!
    You must think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be.

-David Viscott

fitqueeen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What I do....

I agree- too much cardio and too little weights will stall you eventually. Actually, doing the same thing, whatever it is, for too long will stall you! When I started changing my program every 8-10 weeks it really made a difference! What I've changed to recently is an upper body/ lower body split that has me hitting the weights 4 times a week, and short, high intensity cardio sessions about 3 days a week. My longest cardio day lasts less than 20 minutes, which is on a day that I'm not weight training. When I lift, it's hard and moderately heavy to very heavy (like mini-pyramids), but low in volume. On weight training days, upper body only, I do a 10 minute interval HIIT type cardio session. (Believe me, it will kick your butt a lot more than a ho-hum 45-60 min session, and it's a lot more effective!) As far as eating, well, I eat more than I ever have eaten. I still eat clean, but I eat as much as I want.

Anyway, after 10 years of working out, I've come to find that change is good, and if there's an exercise you hate, it probably works the best. (LOL) Remember to change things up every couple of months- don't go longer than 3 months doing the same program. Not only will it give you better results, but mentally you'll stay stimulated. There's a lot to be said for being mentally "pumped" for your workout- it can mean all the difference in the world because a bored person isn't going to work out as hard as a person who is being challenged by new exercises and routines.