superman2269 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) superman2269 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Severe lower back pain after squats?

for the last two weeks, I have been getting extreme pain in my lower back after working sets of squats.

I use a smith machine when doing this. Not too much weight either. Any suggestions?
    Age- 29
    Years working out- 12
    Seriously-off and on for three
    Height-5'7
    Weight- 202 (07-20-08)
    Goal- get to 215-225 (building mass)
    then cut to 195-200 and maintain

Supplements- Creatine, ON whey, and glutamine off and on. Arginine,Tribulus.

BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by superman2269 View Post
    for the last two weeks, I have been getting extreme pain in my lower back after working sets of squats.

I use a smith machine when doing this. Not too much weight either. Any suggestions?
    Stop using a smith machine to squat.

How much weight? How is your form? Back straight, knees at or behind toes? When in the squat do you get it? What shoes do you wear?

MaverickAK is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaverickAK is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaverickAK is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaverickAK is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaverickAK is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaverickAK is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaverickAK is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaverickAK is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaverickAK is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaverickAK is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaverickAK is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Before asking all of that...

...do you wear a weightbelt while squatting? if not - DO IT.
    "The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights."--Muhammad Ali

Reps Owed:
    Conciliator

drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

After you start feeling better and return to squatting, I would perform regular squats rather than using the smith machine. The smith machine can actually place more stress on your lower back. People often think it's safer to squat on the smith but it isn't. Good luck and get well. Peace.
    2007 Lightweight Masters National Champ

Licence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Licence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Licence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Licence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Licence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Licence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Licence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Licence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Licence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Licence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Licence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    "Seriously-off and on for three"
    Wouldn't seriously be ON all the time lol!"

"...do you wear a weightbelt while squatting? if not - DO IT."

Some would disagree with this. Apparently belts don't give any more support, although they might fool you into thinking they do, hence can actually be more dangerous.

science.boi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) science.boi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) science.boi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) science.boi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) science.boi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) science.boi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) science.boi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) science.boi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) science.boi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) science.boi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) science.boi has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Agreed about the weight-belt issue (although i haven't personally tried one) but i have read that they force you to push your gut into the built and don't encourage the proper form, that is, tight back and abs.

To the OP...

Are you rounding your back BACKWARDS so that it kinda looks like a "J"? if so, you may be putting some pressure on the L3,L4,L5,S1 vertabrae which are squishing the discs which are then putting pressure on the nerves.
    Get this double checked though.

superman2269 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) superman2269 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    good form, yes on the belt, nike air max running shoes, I think they are 180's ?? I will look. The weight is around 205 to 255 on last sets. I am not completely out of the game now. but I will be training differently until I get the back stronger. thanks for the info. I never knew the smith could hurt your back.
    Age- 29
    Years working out- 12
    Height-5'7
    Weight- 202 (07-20-08)

I was also wondering if anyone has a link for the information stating that weight belts are not worth wearing?

this is the first time I have heard this.
    Age- 29
    Years working out- 12
    Height-5'7
    Weight- 202 (07-20-08)

MaverickAK is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaverickAK is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaverickAK is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaverickAK is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaverickAK is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaverickAK is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaverickAK is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaverickAK is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaverickAK is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaverickAK is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaverickAK is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Honestly Super, they add intense support on your supporting muscles, and allow you to really focus on legs. Squatting should not be a back workout. Thats a great way to destroy your lower back.

I learned something here too, never knew smith was a bad thing - huh. Thanks for the info!
    "The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights."--Muhammad Ali

Reps Owed:
    Conciliator

honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10) honez is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Taken from a website....

Cons:

Research has shown that wearing a tight belt during exercise can elevate blood pressure. This is contraindicated in those with high blood pressure.
    Constantly wearing a belt can also cause decreased strength development in core muscles. See more info on this point below.

From the National Academy of Sports Medicine:

There does not appear to be any conclusive scientific support for the use of weight belts in reducing injury and enhancing performance. One of the main reasons they are used is to increase or maintain intra-abdominal pressure. This pressure within the abdominal cavity helps provide support to the spine/low back.

However, to use weight belts effectively to get this intra-abdominal pressure, the person must push their abdomen outward against the belt. This outward push is the exact opposite movement or muscle activity pattern that is required by the deep abdominal muscles ~ the transversus abdominus and internal oblique ~ to provide stabilization to the spine (its primary function). To activate these muscles properly, one must draw the abdominals in, not out. The other abdominal muscles (rectus abdominus and external oblique) do not have direct attachments to the spine and therefore cannot provide direct support to the spine/low back.

Long story short, the weight belt may decrease the ability of these muscles (the transversus abdominus and internal oblique) to do their job, and may increase the risk of low back injury. For example, even though someone may not get "hurt" in the gym while training with a belt, they may injure their lower back picking up their keys at home and never associate the two. Research has shown that weight belts increase the activation of the rectus abdominus, the outer most abdominal muscle, which may indicate that this muscle is being used rather than the deep stabilizing muscle ~ transversus abdominus ~ and this could lead to increased risk of low back pain.

You should also stretch out your hip flexors. Tight hip flexors can really jack your back up.
    Last edited by honez; 08-24-2007 at 08:45 PM.

update on back.

after attempting to squat again last week, I was dissappointed when my back got to the point where I could hardly stand up. I have not done anything with my lower back or legs since.

The pain continued through the weekend and I almost went in to the hospital, afraid that I may have slipped a disc. It got better over a couple of days and I went in to the chiropractor yesterday.

So, it looks like I have torn several small muscles in the area, just above my glutes. When she found the damaged muscles, I could hardly stand the pain. I have been taking it easy around work as well. So, now I am planning on getting the muscles back to normal, and will probably delete squats on the smith, as she agreed was the cause of the injury. I don't have access to a regular squat rack at the gym I go to, and my company pays for the membership, so I will have to work with what i have. Thanks for all the info.
    Age- 29
    Years working out- 12
    Height-5'7
    Weight- 202 (07-20-08)

One legged squats with a dumbell are super good for ya, do what you can wth what youve got! Good luck!

Reps Owed:
    Conciliator

A weight belt is a safety to squatters backs. Its not a reason to 'not do core work'. Yes, no belt makes your body strain to keep the weight blanced / etc... Duh.

Its when the user has excessive weight that his muscles begin to tweak because the core is not able to balance the heavy load that the legs are pushing.

Do what you want honestly, I advise a strong weight belt for squats - and quality core training... Not 'dont use a weight belt because it helps your abs strain and kill themselves making sure your stable'.

If you think its better to work without, then work without... time proves all theorys.

Reps Owed:
    Conciliator

lucid fuel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucid fuel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lucid fuel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    /// and will probably delete squats on the smith, as she agreed was the cause of the injury. I don't have access to a regular squat rack at the gym I go to, and my company pays for the membership, so I will have to work with what i have. Thanks for all the info.
    got here too late. Smith machine are bad... on so many levels. if you squat 2 plates on a smith you'll notice a massive drop once you go on a rack (given you can even balance the bar). Worse case if if you went straight to a rack and did a drop with 2 plates. Could've been ugly.

one thing no body asked was when you did your back workout and when you deadlifted. i find my back day players a huge factor into my squat day. you could over load your lower back on those days and not know it, assuming your not one of them people who do those "full body curls" lol

as for alternatives its tough, leg press machine may be your only option. The others are super old school like cleaning a lower weight up and then doing high rep box squats which could be a solid option.

if smith is all you have, then try a wide stance front squat, it has a more direct vertical line and could minimize damage.

fre3ze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Stick to leg press.

to update this,
    my back has been slowly getting better. I have not returned to the smith and don't plan on it, for squats at least. It sucks because I really started seeing some gains in my quads, but I will have to work around with what I have. As for "full body curls" I don't do them. It hurts even watching all the old guys in the gym doing them to look cool, or whatever.

Back to the reason for the update. I have been working more on my core. I am starting to think that my abs and lower back muscles are just not strong enough to be supporting some of the weight I have been lifting. Additionally, I have recently gained about ten solid pounds, which is definitely noticeable in some of my lifts, and just everyday business. I had the area x-rayed and found out that I have a substantial amount of differance in lengths of each leg. It was clear that my hips are way off to compensate. I think she said 1.3 cm. There is a small amount of degeneration in two of the lower discs, but not too much to worry about. Anyway, I plan on strengthening my lower back muscles, slowly, and carefully. I have done back extensions for two weeks now and crunches. this has helped. so, again, thanks for the help guys. great site.
    Age- 29
    Years working out- 12
    Height-5'7
    Weight- 202 (07-20-08)

Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have the exact same problem.

I have to give up my beloved squat T_T Squatted for a year already.

Will wearing a belt solve this problem
    Hello