Zerolifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Kicking up for shoulder press dumbbell.

Hi Im new here. Today is my second time doing shoulder press dumbbell and I cannot even kick up the 60lbs into position. I had the weird feeling when I doing this today. The first time I did them are much more comfortable and I did 70lbs with good 6 reps. Feel bad and weak today

taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000) taxgeek is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you did 60 lb dumbbells your second time with this exercise you're pretty strong or you've obviously been lifting for a while and are just now incorporating this lift. I can understand the lift itself fluctuating a little bit here and there, but I can't imagine why you wer able to get into position last week and can't now. Weird....I got nothing.

Originally Posted by taxgeek View Post
    If you did 60 lb dumbbells your second time with this exercise you're pretty strong or you've obviously been lifting for a while and are just now incorporating this lift. I can understand the lift itself fluctuating a little bit here and there, but I can't imagine why you wer able to get into position last week and can't now. Weird....I got nothing.
    I know man. I've been doing barbell standing shoulder press. And want to switch things up to seat shoulder press. I think I should keep practicing the kick up. I didn't think I kick high enough tho.... I will try it again on next shoulder day

Bulking4days has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Kicking up and lifting it for that 1st rep is the hardest. When i go heavy i kick it up half way and get my gym buddy to help get the weight above my head, once its there i can normally do 6 alone and then he helps again for the last 2.

unless im misunderstand and you cant get the weight up to the point where its just above your shoulders (near ears)? keep practicing and get pumped before the set and push them legs up as hard as you can

hope this made sense

hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

Smile

You need to practise using your knees to get the weight up. Start by using slightly lighter weights to begin with, so you get the hang of it. Also make sure the dumbells are positioned right on the end of your knees when you do it, this gives you more leverage.

kaygell is not very helpful. (-500) kaygell is not very helpful. (-500) kaygell is not very helpful. (-500) kaygell is not very helpful. (-500) kaygell is not very helpful. (-500) kaygell is not very helpful. (-500) kaygell is not very helpful. (-500) kaygell is not very helpful. (-500) kaygell is not very helpful. (-500) kaygell is not very helpful. (-500) kaygell is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by hanger1989 View Post
    You need to practise using your knees to get the weight up. Start by using slightly lighter weights to begin with, so you get the hang of it. Also make sure the dumbells are positioned right on the end of your knees when you do it, this gives you more leverage.
    This.

Kiennor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kiennor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kiennor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kiennor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kiennor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kiennor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kiennor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kiennor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kiennor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kiennor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kiennor has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by hanger1989 View Post
    when lifting by yourself this ^ is how to do it.

TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TJP33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    most likely reason you were able to kick up higher weight previous week but struggle with less the following is your bodies positioning, chances are you were more upright in week 2 and had your ass forward and in more of an incline position in week 1.

THanks guys, I will keep practicing.

5ourdiesel is on a distinguished road. (+10) 5ourdiesel is on a distinguished road. (+10) 5ourdiesel is on a distinguished road. (+10) 5ourdiesel is on a distinguished road. (+10) 5ourdiesel is on a distinguished road. (+10) 5ourdiesel is on a distinguished road. (+10) 5ourdiesel is on a distinguished road. (+10) 5ourdiesel is on a distinguished road. (+10) 5ourdiesel is on a distinguished road. (+10) 5ourdiesel is on a distinguished road. (+10) 5ourdiesel is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The best trick I have found to get heavy dumbbells into position is to kick one of the dumbbells up onto your shoulder by physically resting the flat part of the dumbbell on your shoulder while you repeat for the second dumbbell.

So for the right dumbbell, I initially have it on my knee with my thumb pointing up towards the sky. As I kick the dumbbell up in one simple motion, I rotate my hand back so that my thumb is now below the dumbbell and pointing down into my shoulder so that the dumbbell is now resting on my shoulder. By having the dumbbell rest on your shoulder, you no longer have to be using up energy by holding the right dumbbell up while you get your left dumbbell up into position. First try it with light dumbbells before moving up. Eventually you can get to the point of lifting doubles and even singles without a spotter
    BS Human Physiology + BS Neuroscience

Oct 2012: 115/95/135
    Current big 3's: 475/345/515 1335 total
    Goal: 500/375/550 by 06/30/15

Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kenacillin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    All good advice.. I would say the kick up technique is something you learn over time. It just gets easier the more you do it. I have gone years at a time without spotters, so I got really good at it.

Get ready for it by raising your toes, (calf raises), then as you launch it up, use your bicep strength and keep it close to your body.

Guess it helps that I have strong hip flexors, calves, and can curl 55's. You'll get there. Keep practicing.
    Everybody wanna get big, but nobody wanna do legs!!

k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000)
    A small tip I can give you is to always step back and put your heels on the front piece of the bench that is bolted to the ground before you sit down. You'll get the DBs slightly raised with them resting on your knees making the kick up a little easier. I usually watch my self in the gym mirror step back and put my heels on that part of the bench every set.

Also if you can grab the DBs from the top DB rack and step back...not from the floor. Any energy you can save the better.

Practice makes perfect.