yen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question DESPERATE for answers!!!!! :(

[edited: I've shortened the post and deleted a whole paragraph... you're right..it was way too long. Sorry, was just really desperate to get the question out and went overboard]

Hey... I'm a newbie at strength training...just started a bit over two months ago.. The thing is, I've see wonderful improvements in muscle tone since I've started and increases in muscle size, particularly my bicep muscles. The results are pretty amazing, considering I've only been strength training for a few months. Well, the problem is, I don't want to get too bulky. Now I know that females can't get very bulky unless they're on steriods (yes, I'm female by the way)... but my bicep muscles hv increased in size quite significantly since I've started and as much as I love the results, I was told that if I keep increasing the weight, I will gain bulky muscles... Is this true? Will my muscles keep increasing in size as long as I continue to increase the intensity by adding weight? Someone suggested that I should just increase the intensity by increasing reps and not adding weight as this will 'tone' my muscles, instead of adding bulk..

Also, I read that compound setting is for adding mass, is this true? And how many reps should I go for if I don't want to bulk up but want to increase strength and tone? (p.s. I'm only 17, so not sure if I should lift really heavy weights such as 1 RM) Some sites mentioned that 1 - 5 RM is for muscle strength, 8 -12 RM is for mass and 15+ RM is for endurance. So if that is the case, should I go for higher reps and lower resistance then? But I want to add strength as well so I'm confused...
    Last edited by yen; 03-05-2005 at 07:26 AM.

May Day is on a distinguished road. (+10) May Day is on a distinguished road. (+10) May Day is on a distinguished road. (+10) May Day is on a distinguished road. (+10) May Day is on a distinguished road. (+10) May Day is on a distinguished road. (+10) May Day is on a distinguished road. (+10) May Day is on a distinguished road. (+10) May Day is on a distinguished road. (+10) May Day is on a distinguished road. (+10) May Day is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Bro, first welcome to the boards, word of advice though keep it short, i and others dont have time to read all that
    If you like it rep it.

Chahn is a name known to all. (+5000) Chahn is a name known to all. (+5000) Chahn is a name known to all. (+5000) Chahn is a name known to all. (+5000) Chahn is a name known to all. (+5000) Chahn is a name known to all. (+5000) Chahn is a name known to all. (+5000) Chahn is a name known to all. (+5000) Chahn is a name known to all. (+5000) Chahn is a name known to all. (+5000) Chahn is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by yen
    Hey... I'm a newbie at strength training...just started a bit over two months ago.. I started out with machines and am currently incorporating dumbell training into my routine as I wanted a change in my routine and thought I would give dumbells a go. When I was working with machines, I constantly increased my weight, particularly when using the lower body machines.. I would probably increase the weight by 2.5 kg every two or three workouts for the upper body and 2.5 kg every workout for the lower body. I've also been using the half-pyramid training, increasing the weight and decreasing the number of reps for each set. I performed three sets, with about 8 - 10 reps for each until muscle fatigue. I usually use weights of 15 kg when working the upper body and abt 25-40 kg when working the lower body. Now that I'm using dumbells, I'm starting out with 2kg and performing three sets, with 10-12 reps until fatigue. I'm kinda doing compound setting, so I use a different exercise for each set...like for the shoulders, first do 10-12 reps of frontal raise then 10-12 reps of lateral raise.

Well, the thing is, I've see wonderful improvements in muscle tone since I've started and increases in muscle size, particularly my arm muscles, like my biceps. That's amazing and I love the results... The results are pretty amazing, considering I've only been strength training for a few months. Well, the problem is, I don't want to get too bulky. Now I know that females can't get very bulky unless they're on steriods... but my bicep muscles hv increased in size quite significantly since I've started and as much as I love the results, I'm worried that my bicep muscles will conitnue to increase in size until it gets too bulky...and I don't want bulky arms, or any bulk in the rest of my body for that matter... I want to continue training long term, and I plan to continue to work with both dumbells and machines and constantly increase the intensity by upping the weight and resistance and doing more difficult exercises, like with the medicine ball. But then I was told that if I keep increasing the weight, I will gain bulky muscles... Is this true? Will my muscles keep increasing in size as long as I continue to increase the intensity by adding weight? I mean, at the rate the size of my bicep muscles are increasing, they will be huge in a few more months, or a year maybe... How do I ensure that I don't bulk up too much? Someone suggested that I should just increase the intensity by increasing reps and not adding weight as this will 'tone' my muscles, instead of adding bulk.. So is this what I should do if I dont want to add bulk? I'm kinda aiming for both increases in muscle strength and endurance, but not bulk. Muscle tone would be nice, but not too bulky muscles...

So my main question is, will my muscles (esp. biceps) continue to get larger and larger as long as I keep strength training and increasing the frequency and adding weight (like what I'm currently doing)? Also, I read that compound setting is for adding mass, is this true? And how many reps should I go for if I don't want to bulk up but want to increase strength and tone? (p.s. I'm only 17, so not sure if I should lift really heavy weights such as 1 RM) I've tried to surf around for answers but they are all so confusing as practically every site has a different answer. But a lot mentioned that 1 - 5 RM is for muscle strength, 8 -12 RM is for mass and 15+ RM is for endurance. So if that is the case, should I go for higher reps and lower resistance then? But I want to add strength as well so I'm confused...

Haha. Hello Yen, welcome to the boards. About you gaining big biceps. I think that there would be a limit to your growth. I don't believe that we will ever get that bulky unless we take roids. I think for everyone, there will be a limit to your muscle growth. That's what I think.

I hope you will get your answers.

TrueWarrior1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrueWarrior1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrueWarrior1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrueWarrior1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrueWarrior1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrueWarrior1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrueWarrior1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrueWarrior1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrueWarrior1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrueWarrior1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrueWarrior1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i actually read most of that.

the person who told you to add reps for intensity, tell em fk off, unless they are talking 20 rep squats. muscle is either stimulated or not, you stimulate it by using heavy weights at lower reps (usually lower than 10) it really depends on the muscle as they are made up of different %'s of slow and fast twitch fibres.

just to be clear, the muscle can grow, or does not grow. there is no such thing as toning the muscle. stimulate it to the max, rest, eat. go read a load of stickies bro good luck
    feel that sting big boy? thats pride ****ing with ya.

i give negs out like candy.

skimmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skimmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skimmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skimmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skimmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skimmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skimmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skimmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skimmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skimmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would be doing around 12-15 reps if I were you. That would get you more strength. Also, the only way to "tone" is by losing weight via cardio.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!

If you like it, rep it.

eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000) eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000) eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000) eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000) eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000) eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000) eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000) eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000) eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000) eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000) eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000)
    you have alot less testosterone than guys. u wont continue growing. compound lifts are best for mass gains, although this wont apply to you, because of the reason listed.

Some sites mentioned that 1 - 5 RM is for muscle strength, 8 -12 RM is for mass and 15+ RM is for endurance.

to a degree, the above is true. HOWEVER, people have seen gains in size with around 15 reps, and also with lower rep ranges (4-7).

btw all of the above could ahve been summarised into:

i started 2 months ago and im female. I was told that if I keep increasing the weight, I will gain bulky muscles... Is this true? Will my muscles keep increasing in size as long as I continue to increase the intensity by adding weight?
    Also, I read that compound setting is for adding mass, is this true? And how many reps should I go for if I don't want to bulk up but want to increase strength and tone? (p.s. I'm only 17, so not sure if I should lift really heavy weights such as 1 RM) Some sites mentioned that 1 - 5 RM is for muscle strength, 8 -12 RM is for mass and 15+ RM is for endurance. So if that is the case, should I go for higher reps and lower resistance then? But I want to add strength as well so I'm confused.

but yeh, g'luck with your lifting.

got luck?
    got ____?

yen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the replies so far... and sorry my original post was too long...hehe, and kudos to those who actually read all of it. Ah, but you see I'm a female...and while it's probably true that there is a limit to muscle growth, I don't want my biceps to grow too big since bulky arm muscles don't look good on females unless they are bodybuilders... So if I continue to increasing resistance and intensity, will my muscles continue growing in size? And what if I want to increase muscle strength and not size or bulk, do I go for low reps and high resistance then?

Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yup, you can't "tone" a muscle, that all down to body fat.

Also, like pretty much any begginer, you're probably working your biceps a lot more than you're working your other muscles. Don't do that.

You could consider power lifting, that way you'll get strength without many size gains.

But keep in mind the most basic rule of weightlifting: Mother Nature will make your muscles grow larger and stronger when stimulated. You can train (though powerlifting) to gain lots of strength and little size, but you can't have one without the other. If you realy don't want to get bigger, don't lift.

Call Me The Space Cowboy sholiz's Avatar
    sholiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sholiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sholiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sholiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sholiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sholiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sholiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sholiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sholiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sholiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sholiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by skimmer
    I would be doing around 12-15 reps if I were you. That would get you more strength. Also, the only way to "tone" is by losing weight via cardio.
    What?!?! 12-15 reps would act as a crappy source of cardio! That would hardly be an efficient way of adding ANY strength. (Edit: PEople are people but I see that as a horrible way, my opinion)

You won't get big, bulky, blocky muscles. I know a woman who has been training heavy for 15 years and she is sleek, slim, and overall sexy (easiest way to say it). You need testosterone to build the big, bulky, blocky muscles. If you were in HS Health class, women don't produce testosterone (false, small amounts but not enough to build muscles).
    Admin @ Iron Mass [dot] com

Bboyarfen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bboyarfen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bboyarfen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bboyarfen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bboyarfen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bboyarfen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    12-15 reps a crappy source of cardio?...lol...thats the range many of the pros train in because its great for hypertrophy...

Call Me The Space Cowboy sholiz's Avatar
    sholiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sholiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sholiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sholiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sholiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sholiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sholiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sholiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sholiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sholiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sholiz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Bboyarfen
    12-15 reps a crappy source of cardio?...lol...thats the range many of the pros train in because its great for hypertrophy...
    Guess I've been mistaken, but all the Pro's videos I've seen they train in the 6-10 rep range, warmup sets being anywhere (especially Markus Ruhl) from 15-25 reps.

But 12-15 reps as a mass builder? That just seems obsurd. Sure, differnet bodies work different ways, but I don't see the point in that unless you're going for absolute burn-out after your heavy working sets.
    Admin @ Iron Mass [dot] com

Originally Posted by Uriel_da_man
    Yup, you can't "tone" a muscle, that all down to body fat.

Also, like pretty much any begginer, you're probably working your biceps a lot more than you're working your other muscles. Don't do that.
    I don't work my biceps more than my other muscles... I work out all of my muscles to around the same extent.

Oh, and I want to add that I am not strength training for bodybuilding purposes or competitive reasons... I'm only strength training for general fitness, weight loss and for decreasing my BF%. I don't have any intent of increasing muscle size at all.. Strength and endurance to an extent, yeah... but basically my main aim is general fitness and body fat loss (by increasing metabolism). I should have stated that in the beginning in case you guys got any wrong ideas... sorry... so if I just want to strength train to improve fitness and lose body fat, how much reps should I do then?
    Last edited by yen; 03-05-2005 at 09:20 AM.

Originally Posted by eggy_wont_grow
    btw all of the above could ahve been summarised into:

i started 2 months ago and im female. I was told that if I keep increasing the weight, I will gain bulky muscles... Is this true? Will my muscles keep increasing in size as long as I continue to increase the intensity by adding weight?
    Also, I read that compound setting is for adding mass, is this true? And how many reps should I go for if I don't want to bulk up but want to increase strength and tone? (p.s. I'm only 17, so not sure if I should lift really heavy weights such as 1 RM) Some sites mentioned that 1 - 5 RM is for muscle strength, 8 -12 RM is for mass and 15+ RM is for endurance. So if that is the case, should I go for higher reps and lower resistance then? But I want to add strength as well so I'm confused.

but yeh, g'luck with your lifting.

got luck?
    hehe... yeah, I know...my post was waayy too long.

Originally Posted by yen
    Oh, and I want to add that I am not strength training for bodybuilding purposes or competitive reasons... I'm only strength training for general fitness, weight loss and for decreasing my BF%. I don't have any intent of increasing muscle size at all.. Strength and endurance to an extent, yeah... but basically my main aim is general fitness and body fat loss (by increasing metabolism). I should have stated that in the beginning in case you guys got any wrong ideas... sorry... so if I just want to strength train to improve fitness and lose body fat, how much reps should I do then?
    Bump bump