Registered User invisiblevictim's Avatar
    invisiblevictim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Are protein bars bad for you?

Ive recently gotten into weight lifting and need snacks during school.. I've been thikning about eating a protein bar mid day.. I dont get to lunch til 1 so it sucks. Ive heard some things that protein bars are bad for you and other things.. Any ideas?

bofeity will become famous soon enough. (+50) bofeity will become famous soon enough. (+50) bofeity will become famous soon enough. (+50) bofeity will become famous soon enough. (+50) bofeity will become famous soon enough. (+50) bofeity will become famous soon enough. (+50) bofeity will become famous soon enough. (+50) bofeity will become famous soon enough. (+50) bofeity will become famous soon enough. (+50) bofeity will become famous soon enough. (+50) bofeity will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It's not like all protein bars are bad but a lot are packed with sugar which most people will tell you isn't the best way to go. It's up to you to decide.

Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Most of the low-fat bars are loaded with sugar, and the low-carb ones usually have quite a bit of saturated fat and sugar alcohols, which don't cause a big insulin response but aren't the best way to be getting your carbs. Some better options would be oats and protein powder in a shaker bottle, a sandwich or a homemade protein bar.

things in it..

I heard that the things in it are also laxatives, like maltitol, sorbitol and other things they contain can give u diarheaa.. im guessing u just gotta try and if they dont.. then it should be ok?

:::6'3 280lb Endomorph::: UnderArmour22's Avatar
    UnderArmour22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) UnderArmour22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) UnderArmour22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) UnderArmour22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) UnderArmour22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) UnderArmour22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) UnderArmour22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) UnderArmour22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) UnderArmour22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) UnderArmour22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) UnderArmour22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    IMO stick with shakes, bars pack alot of cals and fat.Make your own bars IMO!
    Last edited by UnderArmour22; 03-03-2005 at 08:57 PM.
    What up though...

covert ash will become famous soon enough. (+50) covert ash will become famous soon enough. (+50) covert ash will become famous soon enough. (+50) covert ash will become famous soon enough. (+50) covert ash will become famous soon enough. (+50) covert ash will become famous soon enough. (+50) covert ash will become famous soon enough. (+50) covert ash will become famous soon enough. (+50) covert ash will become famous soon enough. (+50) covert ash will become famous soon enough. (+50) covert ash will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by invisiblevictim
    I heard that the things in it are also laxatives, like maltitol, sorbitol and other things they contain can give u diarheaa.. im guessing u just gotta try and if they dont.. then it should be ok?
    Those are the sugar alcohols most prevalent in low-carb bars and snacks. As mentioned already, they do have less of an impact on blood sugar as opposed to conventional carbohydrates; however, consumed in excess, they can act as laxatives.

Personally, I eat the Trioplex bars only when I'm in a tight spot. For the most part, though, I always carry a shaker or two with protein powder inside and just add water whenever I need them.

Hope that helps.
    The journey of 10,000 miles begins with the first step.

Learn to walk before you run.

FeedFest will become famous soon enough. (+50) FeedFest will become famous soon enough. (+50) FeedFest will become famous soon enough. (+50) FeedFest will become famous soon enough. (+50) FeedFest will become famous soon enough. (+50) FeedFest will become famous soon enough. (+50) FeedFest will become famous soon enough. (+50) FeedFest will become famous soon enough. (+50) FeedFest will become famous soon enough. (+50) FeedFest will become famous soon enough. (+50) FeedFest will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    In a similar thread a guy said to make your own bars with oats, pb, honey and whey
    i argued a bit and said its too time consuming for us students but then i did it and it takes no time and tastes pretty good
    also, you know what ingredients you are eating
    i'd just get the above ingredients and whatever nuts etc you want to add and make yourself whatever tastes good

by the way, it costs a **** load less than 2 bucks/bar

protein bar

Thanks for all the advise.. Could you point me in the direction of any threads or places that can tell you how to make ur own protein bar.. Im not a big fan of honey but maybe it'll taste good in a bar or something.. or i heard of trail mixes you can mix up that are quite good but never got the recipes for them.. anyone know or have the location to the thread would help... thanks

Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Do a search for 'homemade protein bars' and you'll find quite a few recipes. I just mix some whey, oats and milk, throw it in a baking pan and bake/dehydrate it in the oven at around 200 degrees F until it's dry enough to hold together as a bar.