Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TheStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What exactly does fish oil capsule/oil do?

What exactly does fish oil capsule/oil do and why do you take it?

Please don't just google some site and post it, i can do that myself. I want to know the reason why you are taking fish oil capsule/oil. Also I heard that a teaspoon of fish oil is about several capsule (not sure, so how many)?

I heard some people take it because it was a good fat and it has some of the omega substances. Is fish oil capsule/oil necessary for bodybuilding or just an extra?
    The gym is where champions are made.

Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Well seeing as how you know how to google, then all I will say is that I take fish oil caps as my diet is lacking.
    You gotta love how sports will f*ck with ya, make you believe you can come back from an insurmountable deficit and then get kicked right in the nuts when you're almost there - Bluntdogg

BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I eat a very low fat diet. Lots of chicken, fish, turkey but occasionally a steak. I aim for a 40P/40C/20F ratio, so I need to supplement with a fat. Fish oil is good for this, and nutrient partioning.

night-trainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) night-trainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) night-trainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) night-trainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) night-trainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) night-trainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    good source of omega 3's

Studying Nutrition 24/7 ManOfSteel2003's Avatar
    ManOfSteel2003 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManOfSteel2003 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManOfSteel2003 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManOfSteel2003 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManOfSteel2003 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManOfSteel2003 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManOfSteel2003 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManOfSteel2003 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManOfSteel2003 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManOfSteel2003 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManOfSteel2003 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    ^yep!

Fish and Flax oil has helped me tremendously! I just got 24oz. of 20% particulate Flax Seed Oil.

Any joint pain is completely relieved after 3 days of taking a shotglass of flax oil before bed.

I also get anti-depressive effects from it, and even anti-anxiety. Not to mention it's obvious benefits on supressing cortisol and other health effects!
    Currently bulking...goal 3lbs+ increase every month.

creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) creed428 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i take it because it helps your body burn fat and because i dont get enough healthy fat through the food i eat and you should definitely get the liquid kind rather than the capsule 1 tablespoon can equal up to 12 capsules depending on the mg per capsule

brendanm is on a distinguished road. (+10) brendanm is on a distinguished road. (+10) brendanm is on a distinguished road. (+10) brendanm is on a distinguished road. (+10) brendanm is on a distinguished road. (+10) brendanm is on a distinguished road. (+10) brendanm is on a distinguished road. (+10) brendanm is on a distinguished road. (+10) brendanm is on a distinguished road. (+10) brendanm is on a distinguished road. (+10) brendanm is on a distinguished road. (+10)

TheStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Since I don't know how to reply, one of the poster said they also supplement with flax oil. Which is better, flax oil or fish oil? Do you alternate between taking the flax oil and fish oil on different days, or do you just pick one of the two, or take both of them daily?
    The gym is where champions are made.

brendanm is on a distinguished road. (+10) brendanm is on a distinguished road. (+10) brendanm is on a distinguished road. (+10) brendanm is on a distinguished road. (+10) brendanm is on a distinguished road. (+10) brendanm is on a distinguished road. (+10) brendanm is on a distinguished road. (+10) brendanm is on a distinguished road. (+10) brendanm is on a distinguished road. (+10) brendanm is on a distinguished road. (+10) brendanm is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    there are two main types omega 3 fatty acids and omega 6, diets usually lack in omega 3. All you really need is one or the other, (fish oil or flax seed oil). I suggest flax seed oil. there is a little chart on the bottem of the link ijust gave you that you should look at.

gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by brendanm
    there are two main types omega 3 fatty acids and omega 6, diets usually lack in omega 3. All you really need is one or the other, (fish oil or flax seed oil). I suggest flax seed oil. there is a little chart on the bottem of the link ijust gave you that you should look at.
    Wrong answer sir. Flax and fish contain different omega 3 EFAs. Flax contains the omega 3- ALA which can be converted from EPA and DHA, but fish is what contains EPA and DHA. Those can't be converted in the body from ALA so you need the fish. I take flax in morning and at lunch, fish at night before bed. Flax does contain omega 6 and 9 which is good, but omega 3 is what our american diet lack that we really need. Unless you eat a bunch of fish you should take fish oil.

xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by gymratluke
    Flax and fish contain different omega 3 EFAs. Flax contains the omega 3- ALA which can be converted from EPA and DHA, but fish is what contains EPA and DHA. Those can't be converted in the body from ALA so you need the fish.
    Actually ALA (flax)can be converted to EPA/DHA, but the conversion is piss poor. Or maybe I just read your comment wrong...
    Unaffiliated.

night-trainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) night-trainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) night-trainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) night-trainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) night-trainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) night-trainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think he meant to write 'can be converted to'.

xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xxghostxx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by night-trainer
    I think he meant to write 'can be converted to'.
    I kind of figured that, just wanted to make it clear
    Unaffiliated.

gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by xxghostxx
    Actually ALA (flax)can be converted to EPA/DHA, but the conversion is piss poor. Or maybe I just read your comment wrong...
    Oh, my bad, I thought it couldn't be converted, thats why I've always taken fish oil. Maybe i knew that it could be converted just not in a quality manner I guess. What ever it is, I have been under the impression that you must take fish oil to get your essential EPA/DHA. Guess I was wrong.

My bad brendanm, you were right. I guess the only problem with relying on the conversion process, is that if you are deficient in Vit C, B6, B3, zinc or magnesium, then the process won't happen. If you have a to high of a ratio of LA:ALA in your system then the conversion process is slowed down. I guess what I mean to say is that you should take fish and not worry about letting your body convert what it needs, just give it what it needs.

Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Gymratluke,
    FYI, as you stated, all those things need to be present for the conversion to take place, but even so, the conversion rate is only around 9%.
    So that means you need more than 11 times the flax oil (compared to fish oil) to get the same amount of EPA
    You gotta love how sports will f*ck with ya, make you believe you can come back from an insurmountable deficit and then get kicked right in the nuts when you're almost there - Bluntdogg

alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz
    flaxseeds & fish oil have similar, as well as separate benefits, so take both if your diet has room for it.

the Epicurean bodybuilder A.FreeRadical's Avatar
    Location: Away from arbitrary power. "Freedom is the emancipation from the arbitrary rule of other men." ~ Mortimore J. Adler
    A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    EPA and DHA are what you are looking for. Check your supplements to see how much of each are in your gels or liquids. I see people recommending dosages when not all are equal.

aA.FreeRadical a
    Visit my 8 week cutting journal. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=382697
    Jun. 2004
    Neck 16.5" Shoulders 49" Biceps 14.5" Chest 42" Waist 37" Hips 39" Thighs 21"....5' 9" tall 184 lbs bf 18%

July 2007
    Neck 17" Shoulders 50" Biceps 16" Chest 44" Waist 34" Hips 38" Thighs 23"..... 5' 9" tall 189 lbs 19% bf

Originally Posted by A.FreeRadical
    EPA and DHA are what you are looking for. Check your supplements to see how much of each are in your gels or liquids. I see people recommending dosages when not all are equal.

aA.FreeRadical a
    Visit my 8 week cutting journal. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=382697
    Good point AFR!

Luski16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Luski16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Luski16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Luski16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Luski16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Luski16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Luski16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Luski16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Luski16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Luski16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Luski16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i take 10 fish oil caps with lunch and 10 flax oil caps with dinner
    Height: 5'5"
    Weight: 132.2

Weight Weekly:
    Week 1: 132.2

Time to get work done!

CLT189 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CLT189 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CLT189 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CLT189 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CLT189 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CLT189 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CLT189 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CLT189 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CLT189 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CLT189 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CLT189 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by TheStrength
    What exactly does fish oil capsule/oil do and why do you take it?
    I heard some people take it because it was a good fat and it has some of the omega substances. Is fish oil capsule/oil necessary for bodybuilding or just an extra?
    Why would anyone purposefully ingest fat? I always try to keep fat intake to a minimum, unless Im bulking.
    Current Stats:

192lbs
    9%bf
    Max Bench- 300lbs
    Max Squat- 355lbs

Exclamation

edit: nm
    Last edited by brendanm; 02-28-2005 at 03:30 AM.

Chris_Seal is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chris_Seal is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chris_Seal is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chris_Seal is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chris_Seal is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chris_Seal is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chris_Seal is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chris_Seal is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chris_Seal is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chris_Seal is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chris_Seal is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by CLT189
    Why would anyone purposefully ingest fat? I always try to keep fat intake to a minimum, unless Im bulking.
    nothing wrong with having healthy fats in your diet.
    Now cutting, stomach not flat, me not like !

Always do your best in the gym !
    Saying you can't do something is a no go zone !
    Being too tired and lazy to workout is unacceptable !
    Bench Press That Mother ****er !

the Epicurean bodybuilder A.FreeRadical's Avatar
    Location: Away from arbitrary power. "Freedom is the emancipation from the arbitrary rule of other men." ~ Mortimore J. Adler
    A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...59&postcount=7

aA.FreeRadical a
    Jun. 2004
    Neck 16.5" Shoulders 49" Biceps 14.5" Chest 42" Waist 37" Hips 39" Thighs 21"....5' 9" tall 184 lbs bf 18%

July 2007
    Neck 17" Shoulders 50" Biceps 16" Chest 44" Waist 34" Hips 38" Thighs 23"..... 5' 9" tall 189 lbs 19% bf

Luski16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Luski16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Luski16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Luski16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Luski16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Luski16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Luski16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Luski16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Luski16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Luski16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Luski16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i still cant figure out if your a troll, or if you are really just that un-edjucated about nutrition...
    Height: 5'5"
    Weight: 132.2

Weight Weekly:
    Week 1: 132.2

Time to get work done!

I used to think that way a long time ago. Do some reasearch, and Im sure you will reconsider.

Jdanmc will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jdanmc will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jdanmc will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jdanmc will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jdanmc will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jdanmc will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jdanmc will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jdanmc will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jdanmc will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jdanmc will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jdanmc will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you do a search, you'll see it, but I've been reading some things from a lot of sources which have stated that taking flax seed oil for a long period of time has been linked to an increase in the risk of prostate cancer in men. The links in that thread didn't work for me but if you do a search and search for flax seed oil and cancer you'll find numerous sites describing this. If there's anyone here who has a more in depth knowledge of these accusations against flax seed oil I'd be very interested to hear your opinions on the subject.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=424317

BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiggJohn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I believe fish oil helps me with recovery. I'm between 6-10 grams per day, and I eat salmon and or mackerel nearly EOD. Pharm grade is probably the way to go if you can afford it.

I don't notice much on flax oil but I sure as hell notice when I'm off it. Shoulders feel like hell. In a way I guess that means it helps with recovery too IMO.

HellSpawn is on a distinguished road. (+10) HellSpawn is on a distinguished road. (+10) HellSpawn is on a distinguished road. (+10) HellSpawn is on a distinguished road. (+10) HellSpawn is on a distinguished road. (+10) HellSpawn is on a distinguished road. (+10) HellSpawn is on a distinguished road. (+10) HellSpawn is on a distinguished road. (+10) HellSpawn is on a distinguished road. (+10) HellSpawn is on a distinguished road. (+10) HellSpawn is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have flax seed oil caplets. I know I should have gotten liquid, but I have these. Question is, what is the maximum caplets I should take in one serving? I take 3 1000mg caplets at a time 3 times a day. Is that too much?
    "Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do but it doesn't get you anywhere."

-Van Wilder

Dia-Tribe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dia-Tribe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dia-Tribe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dia-Tribe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dia-Tribe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dia-Tribe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dia-Tribe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dia-Tribe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dia-Tribe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dia-Tribe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dia-Tribe will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by xxghostxx
    Correct... and if you have diabetic tendencies even more piss poor.

Also heard that flax oil should not be taken with multi's as it binds with the vitamins and passes them straight through your system.

I looked into this and despite a little contoversy... fish oil came out best for me.

Good luck with your choice.. Maybe a bit each way is the way for you.
    Last edited by Dia-Tribe; 03-07-2005 at 09:55 PM.
    6'2" 220lbs
    330 x 6 Bench
    132 x 8 Weighted Dips
    900 x 8 Leg Press
    -=Transmogrification in progress=-