ByeBye225 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ByeBye225 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ByeBye225 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ByeBye225 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ByeBye225 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ByeBye225 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ByeBye225 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ByeBye225 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ByeBye225 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ByeBye225 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ByeBye225 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Seated Dumbell Shoulder Press vs Sitting Arnold Press

Asides from the turning motion from and going back to the start position, what does one workout differ in then the other? I always feel the same stress on the same spot of muscle...

DYSFUNCTIONAL strength I dont work at Ballys's Avatar
    I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ByeBye225 View Post
    Asides from the turning motion from and going back to the start position, what does one workout differ in then the other? I always feel the same stress on the same spot of muscle...
    arnold press works rotator cuff as well as emphasizing your front delt more in the beginning of the motion. most people have to decrease the poundage doing these compared to straight presses. i personally dont do them.
    If what I see does not amaze me, I am not looking hard enough.

The more you learn, the more you realize you don't know.

My YouTube Vids: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ajcharmoz

Hallock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hallock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hallock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hallock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hallock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hallock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hallock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hallock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hallock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hallock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hallock is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I prefer straight presses, Arnold's after the initial press (the rotation portion) doesn't feel as challenging as BB, DB, or clean and press. I'll use them on occasion.
    Bench press - 175x4 (200)
    Dead lift - 355# (400)
    Squat - 4x225# x three sets (300)
    Military Press - 6x120# (BW)
    BB Row - 6x155# (175)

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Seated shoulder press and seated arnold press have the exact same differences standing ones do I'd imagine. You say 'aside from the turning motion' but the turning is the only thing making them different, but it does use different muscles that way, moreso at the bottom. I'd guess that besides the emphasis on rotation, having your elbows in front of you rather than the side sort of emphasizes the anterior delts more than the medial delt fibres.

Most people get enough of that with front raises and benching. The arnold press is sort of like what a 'front' military press would be, only with the added factor his initially having a supinated grip.

You could do a normal shoulder press with a supinated grip too, but your palms would be facing inwards instead of forwards due to your having rotated for the pressing.

Even though military/shoulder/overhead pressing has the palms facing forward, it is NOT a pronated grip, it's a medial/neutral grip. Put your hands overhead ALL the way, and you won't be able to do more than get your palms to face each other, or to face away from each other. When you reach a position where you can, that's when you've rotated the shoulders (or maybe the scapula, I get confused).

What I wonder is why Arnold limits the rotation of his press. If your hands face your chest, then by the rotating motion you get from putting it overhead and simultaneously externally rotating and pronating your grip, why not pronate all the way and have the hands face outwards? It would also be a way to guarantee maximal shoulder rotation. I guess it's because that's an uncomfortable position, it makes me sort just doing it even without any weight, maybe it'd grind the shoulder balls or something.
    Last edited by Tyciol; 08-17-2007 at 07:23 PM.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I personally don't like Arnold presses. Too much excessive movement in my opinion.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.