Thread: Periodization

Mr.Sock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Sock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Sock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Sock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Sock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Sock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Sock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Sock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Sock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Sock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Sock has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Periodization

Can anyone explain that to me like aztman, PL16, Jean, Travis, Gene, or anybody else?

I'm not talking about different methods of periodization (such as cybernetic and Westside methods), I'm talking about what periodization is and how it is used.

healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Re: Periodization

Originally posted by Mr.Sock
    Can anyone explain that to me like aztman, PL16, Jean, Travis, Gene, or anybody else?

I'm not talking about different methods of periodization (such as cybernetic and Westside methods), I'm talking about what periodization is and how it is used.
    Dude Jean is gone. Anyway periodization is where after a set # of weeks you change either your rep scheme,exercises,or split routine.

Mr.Sock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Sock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Sock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Sock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Sock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Sock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Sock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Sock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Sock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Sock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Sock has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Oops i forgot. sorry.

and thanx for explaining, thats all?

healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Cool

Originally posted by Mr.Sock
    Oops i forgot. sorry.

and thanx for explaining, thats all?
    Well I think that's all except for maybe number of sets and how many times you work out a muscle group per week. You're welcome.

JohnyJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    healthy n'fit,
    I believe this is not what he is referring to.

Periodization is the gradual cycling of workout intensity by breaking a given time period in to smaller more manageable units of time know as cycles. The Macrocycle is usually a year's training. The Mesocycle is a portion of the year's training divided into several monthly segments known as seasons ( e.g. preseason, inseason, post-season ). The Microcycle is a portion of the Mesocycle divided into weeks consisting of each training session.

Each training season is characterized by the following phases:

Phase 1 (General Preparation or Hypertrophy)
    Large Volume of exercise
    Low loads

Phase 2 (Strength)
    Decreased volume from general preparation phase
    Increased loads from general preparation phase

Phase 3 (Power)
    Decreased volume from strength phase
    Increased loads form strength phase

Phase 4 (Peaking)
    Decreased volume form Power phase
    Increased loads from Power phase
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A yearly training cycle usually consists of two or more Mesocycles. Following each phase of the cycle there is a 2 to 4 week period of active rest. The length of each mesocycle will very depending on the time of year. Following each phase in the cycle there is an unloading period lasting one to two weeks. Unloading is characterized by a significant decrease in training intensity. This unload period allows the body to recover in preparation for the shift to the next phase.

Active rest is necessary to assure continual physical improvement and is vital to the effectiveness of the periodized training cycle. Active rest involves light to moderately light physical activity usually in areas other than the athletes competitive sport and strength training. The purpose of Active Rest is to allow the body to recover both physically and mentally from the training cycle just completed. Physical improvements from training occur by allowing muscles and the nervous system to recover. Complete recovery is not always necessary, but strongly recommended at certain points during the training cycle. The amount of recovery needed for each individual is dependent on several variables, age, experience, the intensity of the prior training cycle. Transition is a shift between two distinctive phases and usually includes active rest. More specifically Transition refers to a shift in training emphasis just prior to a competition or competitive season.

Hmmmmm. Well anyway he has it now with both of our posts.

Oh yeah johny, thats what i'm talking about. i actually forgot to mention microcycles, macrocycles, etc in my post

Thanx

aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    JohnnyJ,
    That was a pretty darn good post. Just want to mention though the motor qualities you describe are not completely seperated. In Tudor Bompa's texts he usually describes periodization as such, but this would assume a great level of horizontal summation occurs. Meaning, each phase would keep progressing towards a greater fitness level. In reality motor qualities are not usually seperated in the manner you outlined. Certiain motor qualities may be emphasized but it is important to notice that each motor quality needs to be maintained throughout the training year. Mesocycles are usually monthly cycles too I have outlined on the Supertraining thread some limitations on the most commonly thought periodizatoin concepts.

JohnyJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by aztman
    JohnnyJ,
    That was a pretty darn good post. Just want to mention though the motor qualities you describe are not completely seperated. In Tudor Bompa's texts he usually describes periodization as such, but this would assume a great level of horizontal summation occurs. Meaning, each phase would keep progressing towards a greater fitness level. In reality motor qualities are not usually seperated in the manner you outlined. Certiain motor qualities may be emphasized but it is important to notice that each motor quality needs to be maintained throughout the training year. Mesocycles are usually monthly cycles too I have outlined on the Supertraining thread some limitations on the most commonly thought periodizatoin concepts.
    Thank you aztman, I'll keep that in mind. And I got one question which involves height growth.

Do squats significantly compress our spinal column? And can it be that when you go rest in a 'horizontal position', your spine decompresses back again. Can it be that it somehow doesn't decompress?

Thanks, your opinions are much appreciated.

Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I don't think I ever do the same workout two weeks in a row, and my rep range, number or sets, and intensity change from workout to workout. It works great for me, there isn't a way for the body to adapt to it.

I listen to my body and simply do what it tells me to do.
    . . . .I'm Huge. . . .The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee. Jules "Pulp Fiction"