Tms31078 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tms31078 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tms31078 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tms31078 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tms31078 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Maintaining muscle and strength when I can't workout for a month

I have been lifting seriously for about six months and have totally transformed my body. I have lost 75 lbs of fat and have gotten much stronger with a body fat content of about 16% now. Unfortunately, I have to have a minor surgery that will keep me out of the gym for about a month and I am worried most of my strength I have worked to build up I will lose during this month of not training. Does anyone have any information on ways to maintain my strength or will this month off even do much to my strength. Any input on this subject would be great. Thanks, TS.

bow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    tms, I feel for ya. I just had knee surgery (ACL reconstruction) in May. Its tough going to the gym when your on crutches. I was able to maintain most of my body mass (droping from 200 lbs to 195 lbs in 4 weeks) by taking between 30-40 grams of glutamine a day and 3-4 tablespoons of flax oil a day. I also kept my carbs low and protein relatively high to keep from gaining fat.

The good news is that if you have been working out consistently, your body could probably use the rest. Take the opportunity to cycle of any other supplements (creatine, ribose, ALA, etc). When you are ready to get back to the gym, you'll be surprised at your progress.
    Player to Player, Pimp to Pimp

Body under construction MotorcityAl's Avatar
    MotorcityAl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MotorcityAl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MotorcityAl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MotorcityAl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MotorcityAl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MotorcityAl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MotorcityAl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MotorcityAl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MotorcityAl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MotorcityAl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MotorcityAl is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    What kind of surgery are having? And, what level of activity did your doctor suggest while recovering?
    Say it, Believe it, Achieve it!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Each progressive spirit is opposed by a thousand mediocre minds appointed to guard the past." Maurice Maeterlinck

Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000)

Re: Maintaining muscle and strength when I can't workout for a month

Originally posted by Tms31078
    I have to have a minor surgery that will keep me out of the gym for about a month and I am worried most of my strength I have worked to build up I will lose during this month of not training.
    Well you will lose strength, that's the bad news.
    Since your body is used to working out
    it should only take about 1 to 2 months to get it all back.
    At least that's my experience.
    Take the time off to fine tune your diet and exercise
    program for strength training.
    If you want strength training
    look at Mike Colgan's site.

http://www.newpowerprogram.com/people.cfm
    Never quit!