Closed Thread
Page 53 of 340 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 103 153 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,590 of 10171
    all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Typhus View Post
    Hello i have a quick question. I followed SS for about 3 months and finally moved on to the texas method described in PP which i have been on for about a further 3 months. I have seen fantastic strength gains but my overall size has not increased a huge amount tho ofcourse it has increased. Would u recommend this program for someone like me looking to focus a little more on size and take a bit of the focus away from strength training?. Im only asking because i dont really see myself as a complete begineer anymore. Also i love to do cardio but a big problem i have had with both SS and the texas method is as soon as i do cardio on off days normally twice a week all my lifts drop squats and deadlifts being the lifts that drops the most is there anyway around this?.

Thanks for any help.
    To much cardio will kill strength gains. The only way around that is to do less cardio. You wont know if this program will for you unless you try it.

Sinisterc6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sinisterc6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sinisterc6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sinisterc6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sinisterc6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sinisterc6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sinisterc6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sinisterc6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sinisterc6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sinisterc6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sinisterc6 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by all pro View Post
    To much cardio will kill strength gains. The only way around that is to do less cardio. You wont know if this program will for you unless you try it.
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_108838859/

states: 30 minutes provides just enough cardio to keep up endurance while minimizing muscle loss, recommends rowing and sprinting exercising

did some reading and found the above article and devised a new workout strategy

M W F: SS ~ 1 hour
    TU TH SAT: 30 minutes either sprinting/rowing exercise + 30 minutes core: resistance training and Ab Ripper X

I already went up in weights on SS just from Monday to Friday, Ive taken pics and measurements, brb in 5 weeks hopefully looking like the hulk
    Last edited by Sinisterc6; 12-06-2009 at 10:17 AM.

all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Sinisterc6 View Post
    how much cardio would you recommend for non weight days? Would it be better to jog/ bike at constant pace (true cardio) or do some interval training (stimulate fast twitch muscles) for a set time? should cardio days be performed 2 or 3 days a week?

what can you recommend for abdominal gains? I was considering Ab ripper X on weight days and incline situps/ hanging leg lifts/ weighted crunches on cardio days to work abs 20 minutes 5-6x a week, over training? My abs need a lot to be sore as Ive done a lot of ab work in the past.
    The only form of cardio that doesn't seem to screw up weight training is high intensity interval training. But 30-45 minutes of regular slow, steady state cardio per week shouldn't bother things that much. I wouldn't go over 1 hour per week if strength and size were my primary goals. If you're trying to shed fat that's a different story.

DT68000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question ? for your simple beginner's workout

i have been out of weight lifting in general for last three years since i left high school and joined the military, but i used to be very strong and decently sized( like a country boy sized a slight gut) but since i joined the military i find that i lost that drive i had in high school, and just got a bigger gut, i am still in decent shape but honestly look like a fat strong guy, i know alot of workouts that worked for me in the past but i was one of those guys who just listened to their football coach and worked out what ever he said to, so my question for is this: should i go ahead and do your simple beginner's workout or start of with something a little bit more intense.

Tucking_Fypos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tucking_Fypos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tucking_Fypos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tucking_Fypos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tucking_Fypos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tucking_Fypos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tucking_Fypos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tucking_Fypos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tucking_Fypos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tucking_Fypos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Has anyone seen good results on this workout?

Getting my Durantula on FryDude's Avatar
    FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FryDude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Tucking_Fypos View Post
    Yes, no pics as proof. Could be beg. gains but I don't know though., The mirror doesn't lie lol.

Ugm so I had a question Allpro or anyone who can explain this. Why are Week 4 and 5 the hardest? It's like the first three weeks are a breeze and when you get into Week 4 and 5 the weights begin to feel 2x heavier.

DRiFT2oNR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DRiFT2oNR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DRiFT2oNR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DRiFT2oNR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DRiFT2oNR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DRiFT2oNR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DRiFT2oNR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DRiFT2oNR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DRiFT2oNR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DRiFT2oNR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DRiFT2oNR has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Tucking_Fypos View Post
    Did this routine for three cycles, saw noticeable differences(and I'm cutting as well). Definitely more definition. Wouldn't really say I had any mass or strength gains as of course, I am cutting.

Week 5 was a pain in the ass every cycle though lol.

throbby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

question

as im trying this program 1 week now
    wed fri and sun

i got to self defence classes on mon tue thurs and sat for last 5 months

instructor does conditioning exercises with hand/body weights punching and kicking holding dumbells etc

and monday class it crossfit
    will doing this wreck the allpro work out

in crossfit he get us to do sumo dead lift high pulls and
    squat thrusters (squat to standung press with olypic bars and mabe 10kg )
    all fast reps asspossible then sprints and pullup and trx rows 5sets in 40sec or so

martial arts instructor also told me to stop doing bicep curls as that are crap and
    ill work them out using his exercises

can someone set me straight as i cant disrespect sensie

so im a bit confussed
    i want to bulk and be strong

he says crossfit TABATA will do that
    but i think it more aerobic like les mills bodypump for chicks

i guess it better than doing nothing like i have been for last 30yrs

what to do????

sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Sinisterc6 View Post
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_108838859/

states: 30 minutes provides just enough cardio to keep up endurance while minimizing muscle loss, recommends rowing and sprinting exercising

did some reading and found the above article and devised a new workout strategy

M W F: SS ~ 1 hour
    TU TH SAT: 30 minutes either sprinting/rowing exercise + 30 minutes core: resistance training and Ab Ripper X

I already went up in weights on SS just from Monday to Friday, Ive taken pics and measurements, brb in 5 weeks hopefully looking like the hulk
    If by SS you mean starting strength, then you should know that I personally talked to Mark on the phone when I was ordering his book and when I told him whether I should do 30 mins of cardio 4-5 times a week, I swear I felt his hand grabbing my throat through the phone. Just do 1 HIIT on the first day of your two off days, and maybe some very light cardio 2-3 times a week (I'm talking about 10 minutes of walking or slow jogging).

sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The only version of deadlift I know is the one taught in Starting Strength, which I guess is the regular one done in powerlifting competitions. I'm guessing that's not a SLDL, is it? The row, I know pendley rows. Is that the same as bent-over row?

If not, can I do the regular deadlift and pendlay rows instead of the ones you recommend in this program? If no, can you please post some videos of the SLDL and bent-over row?

Finally, for standing calf raises, do I hold dumbbells on the side? Barbell on the back? Do I use a platform or just stand and raise my heels on the floor?

Thanks

Docano has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Quick question

This routine looks solid and I plan on starting it this week although I have a few questions. I do all my lifting at home. I have everything I need except for a squat rack. I do have a smith machine though. I do realize that free weight squats are king but there is no room in my garage for a squat rack/stands at this time. Should I just do my squats with the smith machine or should I possibly substitute deadlifts in for the squats? Not sure which would be better. I have an olympic bench with the stands built on to it but if I squat off of that I'll have nothing to catch the bar if I fail. That would make me a bit nervous. Next question, if substituting deadlifts is ok should I just drop the stiff legged deadlifts or substitute something else for them? Thanks

whammer33024 will become famous soon enough. (+50) whammer33024 will become famous soon enough. (+50) whammer33024 will become famous soon enough. (+50) whammer33024 will become famous soon enough. (+50) whammer33024 will become famous soon enough. (+50) whammer33024 will become famous soon enough. (+50) whammer33024 will become famous soon enough. (+50) whammer33024 will become famous soon enough. (+50) whammer33024 will become famous soon enough. (+50) whammer33024 will become famous soon enough. (+50) whammer33024 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by FryDude View Post
    Yes, no pics as proof. Could be beg. gains but I don't know though., The mirror doesn't lie lol.

Ugm so I had a question Allpro or anyone who can explain this. Why are Week 4 and 5 the hardest? It's like the first three weeks are a breeze and when you get into Week 4 and 5 the weights begin to feel 2x heavier.
    you're doing more reps so of course its going to get harder. when you start, your starting weight should be your 10 rep max...so by week 3 you're doing that twice(confirms you're getting stronger) so of course more reps of week 4 and 5 will be harder

i've been doing this routing for about 4 weeks now...not much time at all but i can attest to getting stronger and i'm starting to see some differences in the mirror. for those questioning it, just give it a shot for a couple weeks. if you don't feel like its working, try something else. simple as that

shawtyten has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I think this is a good beginning routine. I just started working out again and this will help me get back up to speed.

Originally Posted by DT68000 View Post
    i have been out of weight lifting in general for last three years since i left high school and joined the military, but i used to be very strong and decently sized( like a country boy sized a slight gut) but since i joined the military i find that i lost that drive i had in high school, and just got a bigger gut, i am still in decent shape but honestly look like a fat strong guy, i know alot of workouts that worked for me in the past but i was one of those guys who just listened to their football coach and worked out what ever he said to, so my question for is this: should i go ahead and do your simple beginner's workout or start of with something a little bit more intense.
    The only thing you have to lose is 5 weeks. If nothing else it will get you back in shape in a hurry.

Originally Posted by FryDude View Post

Fatigue. That's why the program uses duel factor programing. ALL initial strength gains are facilitated by neural adaption so you blast through the first week or 2 and then the fatigue reaches up and punches you in the head. Your body is desperately trying to repair all of the damage that you've done in the first 2 weeks. If not for the medium and lite work outs no one would survive this. On week 3 your trying to do TWO sets with what WAS your 10 rep max. It should feel heavy!
    Last edited by all pro; 12-07-2009 at 01:14 PM.

Originally Posted by throbby View Post
    as im trying this program 1 week now
    wed fri and sun

i got to self defence classes on mon tue thurs and sat for last 5 months

instructor does conditioning exercises with hand/body weights punching and kicking holding dumbells etc

and monday class it crossfit
    will doing this wreck the allpro work out

in crossfit he get us to do sumo dead lift high pulls and
    squat thrusters (squat to standung press with olypic bars and mabe 10kg )
    all fast reps asspossible then sprints and pullup and trx rows 5sets in 40sec or so

martial arts instructor also told me to stop doing bicep curls as that are crap and
    ill work them out using his exercises

can someone set me straight as i cant disrespect sensie

so im a bit confussed
    i want to bulk and be strong

he says crossfit TABATA will do that
    but i think it more aerobic like les mills bodypump for chicks

i guess it better than doing nothing like i have been for last 30yrs

what to do????
    It will be way to much if try to do all of that simultaneously. You'll never recover.

Originally Posted by sepandee View Post
    The only version of deadlift I know is the one taught in Starting Strength, which I guess is the regular one done in powerlifting competitions. I'm guessing that's not a SLDL, is it? The row, I know pendley rows. Is that the same as bent-over row?

If not, can I do the regular deadlift and pendlay rows instead of the ones you recommend in this program? If no, can you please post some videos of the SLDL and bent-over row?

Finally, for standing calf raises, do I hold dumbbells on the side? Barbell on the back? Do I use a platform or just stand and raise my heels on the floor?

Thanks
    I posted a video.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...postcount=1546

Originally Posted by Docano View Post
    This routine looks solid and I plan on starting it this week although I have a few questions. I do all my lifting at home. I have everything I need except for a squat rack. I do have a smith machine though. I do realize that free weight squats are king but there is no room in my garage for a squat rack/stands at this time. Should I just do my squats with the smith machine or should I possibly substitute deadlifts in for the squats? Not sure which would be better. I have an olympic bench with the stands built on to it but if I squat off of that I'll have nothing to catch the bar if I fail. That would make me a bit nervous. Next question, if substituting deadlifts is ok should I just drop the stiff legged deadlifts or substitute something else for them? Thanks
    If you have cinder blocks you build a safety wall to catch the bar. As for the Smith machine, use it to hang your towels and water bottle on.

Originally Posted by all pro View Post
    Thanks for the video. Is this variation of DL too different than the standard one (meaning that I can't replace it)?

Also, what about the calf raise? Do i go on my tips on a platform or just on the floor? Barbell on the back or dumbbells in hand?

And what about the rows? Same as pendley rows?

Thanks for the video. Is this variation of DL too different than the standard one (meaning that I can't replace it)?

Also, what about the calf raise? Do i go on my tips on a platform or just on the floor? Barbell on the back or dumbbells in hand?

And what about the rows? Same as pendley rows?
    You can not use dead lifts with this program. For calve press I use a 2x4. Don't use the Pendley rows in the over 6 rep range. They work great in the 1-6 rep range but they defeat the purpose of the higher rep ranges by reducing the time under continuous tension.

FallSpice is on a distinguished road. (+10) FallSpice is on a distinguished road. (+10) FallSpice is on a distinguished road. (+10) FallSpice is on a distinguished road. (+10) FallSpice is on a distinguished road. (+10) FallSpice is on a distinguished road. (+10) FallSpice is on a distinguished road. (+10) FallSpice is on a distinguished road. (+10) FallSpice is on a distinguished road. (+10) FallSpice is on a distinguished road. (+10) FallSpice is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have been working out for awhile. Unfortunately I hurt my back this past summer and I can no longer do dead lifts or bent over rows. What alturnatives can I use. I want to get little again.

Originally Posted by FallSpice View Post
    I have been working out for awhile. Unfortunately I hurt my back this past summer and I can no longer do dead lifts or bent over rows. What alturnatives can I use. I want to get little again.
    How can you do squats?
    You can replace the SLDLs with leg curls but you're going to lose a lot. You can replace rows with standing rows. You're going to lose a lot again. But there isn't anything else you can do about it.

Frankfrank93 is not very well liked. (-100) Frankfrank93 is not very well liked. (-100) Frankfrank93 is not very well liked. (-100) Frankfrank93 is not very well liked. (-100) Frankfrank93 is not very well liked. (-100) Frankfrank93 is not very well liked. (-100) Frankfrank93 is not very well liked. (-100) Frankfrank93 is not very well liked. (-100) Frankfrank93 is not very well liked. (-100) Frankfrank93 is not very well liked. (-100) Frankfrank93 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Started the first cycle tonight. Felt like I got a good workout in.

I was just wondering is it that important on what i eat before and after I lift?
    I found some whey protein but the expiration date says 09/06, either way u read it....its expired. So I was iffy to take that stuff.
    I'll try to get some whey protein during this week.

But for now is there anything i should drink or eat before/after my workout?

wbvike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm going to give your beginners program a try and see how it works for me. As you stated, it should work great. I'm currently 32, 6'2" and weigh in at about 207lbs. I'm not too old to start a program like this and actually get into good shape right? My overall goal is to get a good base routine that will have noticble diffrences (this program) and be the same 207lbs but in a more muscular shape! I'm going to give this a go and try to keep weekly progress reports and let you know how it goes. Thanks in advance for the beginners workout routine.

Steven

mbieker1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mbieker1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mbieker1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mbieker1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mbieker1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mbieker1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mbieker1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mbieker1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mbieker1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mbieker1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mbieker1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey all pro, I just finished the first day of the 5th week of this program, and ran into a bit of a hitch. I was essentially unable to finish the 12 reps on the last set of curls and overhead presses. I feel pretty confident moving up 10% for next week on the squats, deadlifts, calf raises, bench, and to a lesser extent the bent rows, but I'm wondering how I should play the others. Should I stick with the same weight for another cycle, or go ahead and try to move up? Thanks for all the help in this thread.

PS, being a beginner is rough. I'm serious when I say that every single person I've seen at the bench in my gym finishes their sets at no less than 225. A lesson in humility!

aztekadeoro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

going to try this soon

hello everyone ive been on ripptoes for the past 2 months and i must say i the gains have been incredible i went up in weight and how i can lift more as well...but there's one problem...over the the course of those two months i got fat as well..i developed love handles and cant stand it..and although i know it is very soon to switch programs im going to try this next week....i do have some question how ever

1)will this be a good program for cutting?
    2)would be a good idea and or effective to go back to ripptoes after this? thanks in advance for the input

wbvike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mbieker1 View Post
    Hey all pro, I just finished the first day of the 5th week of this program, and ran into a bit of a hitch. I was essentially unable to finish the 12 reps on the last set of curls and overhead presses. I feel pretty confident moving up 10% for next week on the squats, deadlifts, calf raises, bench, and to a lesser extent the bent rows, but I'm wondering how I should play the others. Should I stick with the same weight for another cycle, or go ahead and try to move up? Thanks for all the help in this thread.

PS, being a beginner is rough. I'm serious when I say that every single person I've seen at the bench in my gym finishes their sets at no less than 225. A lesson in humility!
    Hey, they all had to start somewhere too! I'm sure they didn't start off their workout days lifting as much as you say. I wouldn't be humiliated, it would just give me more motivation to get to that point one day.

Randomer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have started this routine on monday, I will keep you updated on my progress!

OK so started this routine today. A bit of a background:
    5ft7in, 26 years old, male. I did Rippetoe's Starting Strength, sadly 3 times, each time 2-3 months (I would either get hit by traveling, work, or studies and would drop the program). Now I'm trying this program to add a bit more mass, though SS did increase my weight significantly. In fact, the first time I did SS, I went from 143lb, which was what I was at for years and years, to 153lb in literally 2 months. Eventually, on my third try, I went to 157lb, but in the past year I've gone down and stabilized at 148lb.

Questions:

1) Is the SLDL supposed to be harder than the regular deadlifts? With the regulars (bending at both hips and knees), I used to do 245lb x 5/5/5. With this, i only did 115 x 8/8 for my working sets. But it seemed to hit the same muscles (I'm probably wrong) so I don't know what's the difference between the SLDL and regular deadlift.

2) If I miss a rep in one or two exercises on my 2nd or 3rd or 4th week, what do I do the next week? Do I still increase the rep or keep it the same? I'm saying this because with the rows, I barely got the last two reps and I had to cheat a bit (gave some momentum using my torso just a bit). With the bicep curls, I miscalculated and for my weaker hand, I couldn't get the last 2 reps so I had to assist it with my stronger hand (I was doing dumbbell curls).

3) Which reminds me, what kind of bicep curls should I do? I'm assuming since it's teh bicep, it really doesn't matter, does it?

4) For the SLDL, is the bar supposed to be in contact with my quad/shins all the time (just like the regular deadlifts)? Am I supposed to be slightly bent at the knees?

5) SQUATS: I really liked SS's 3 sets of 5 reps, and it works better for me since I want to increase strength through squats for basketball. So ONLY for the squats, can I do 3 sets of 5s (with 5 sets of 5 reps, 4 reps, 3 reps, 2 reps, and 1 rep warmups with linear increases in weights) and keep adding to the weight every workout just like Starting Strength?

6) I still don't know how to do calf raises, so I just did calf press (using a leg press machine). Any videos?

7) Is is possible for the OP to include some links to videos? I'm sure it would help with the repetetive questions being asked on this forum.

8) Here was my workout. The warmup #s might be off because I miscalculated how heavy I should lift:

Squat: 135lb x 5/5/5
    Bench Press: 60lb x 8, 70lb x 8, 95lb x 8/8
    Bent-over Rows: 55 x 8, 65 x 8, 75 x 8/8
    Standing Overhead Press: 30 x 8, 40 x 8, 55 x 8/8
    SLDL: 95 x 8, 115 x 8/8 (only did 3 sets as I started too heavy)
    Calf Press: 95 x 8, 135 x 8, 225 x 8/8 (again, refer to Q6).
    Dumbbell Bicep Curls: 5 x 8, 12 x 8, 25 x 8/8

Thanks

mbieker1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mbieker1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mbieker1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mbieker1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mbieker1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mbieker1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mbieker1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mbieker1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mbieker1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mbieker1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mbieker1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    6) I still don't know how to do calf raises, so I just did calf press (using a leg press machine). Any videos?
    Personally, I make like I'm going to do a squat, but go up on my tip-toes instead, and hold for a second or two, and then go back down. all pro mentioned using a 2x4, which I take to mean he does what I do, only starts with the ball of his feet on a 2x4.

Closed Thread
Page 53 of 340 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 103 153 ... LastLast