Closed Thread
Page 1 of 340 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast
    all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

A Simple Beginner's Routine

A Simple beginner's Routine
    You will do 3 work outs per week on non consecutive days. The first work out is your heavy work out. The second work out is your medium work out, use 10% less weight for your work sets. The final work out for the week is your lite work out, use 20% less weight.

Do a lite warm up with 1/4 of your work sets weight. Do a medium warm up with 1/2 of your work sets weight. Do 2 work sets with the same weight. Choose a starting weight and start light.

These are the seven exercises you will be starting with.

Squats
    Bench Presses
    Bent-Over Rows
    Overhead Barbell Presses
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
    Barbell Curls
    Calf Raises

You will be running this program on a five week cycle as follows:
    The first week do all 4 sets for 8 reps.
    The second week do all 4 sets for 9 reps.
    The third week do all 4 sets for 10 reps.
    The fourth week do all 4 sets for 11 reps.
    The fifth week do all 4 sets for 12 reps.
    If you got all of the required reps on the fifth week then increase the weight by 10% and

repeat the cycle. If you didn't get all of the reps on the fifth week then repeat the cycle with the same weight. You shouldn't need more than one minute rest between the warm up sets and you shouldn't need more than one minute thirty seconds between the work sets.
    Do some cardio and abs work on non weight training days.

BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I like it except if I were to follow it I'd lower the rep ranges a lot. I'd probably start at 4-5 then work up from there.

all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by BOLT. View Post
    I like it except if I were to follow it I'd lower the rep ranges a lot. I'd probably start at 4-5 then work up from there.
    You could start with any thing you wanted to and end it anywhere you wanted to. I just chose to keep it in a range that would split the difference between size and strength for the majority. And be appropriate for ALL of the exercises. I don't think 3 rep calve press's would be very productive or 20 rep bench press's.

BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOLT. will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by all pro View Post
    You could start with any thing you wanted to and end it anywhere you wanted to. I just chose to keep it in a range that would split the difference between size and strength for the majority. And be appropriate for ALL of the exercises. I don't think 3 rep calve press's would be very productive or 20 rep bench press's.

Haha yeah I see what you're saying I'd probably start off at 5 reps and work towards 10 at the end except for calf raises and bicep curls which I'd start at maybe 10 instead (calf raises maybe even more)

Haha yeah I see what you're saying I'd probably start off at 5 reps and work towards 10 at the end except for calf raises and bicep curls which I'd start at maybe 10 instead (calf raises maybe even more)
    I wanted to keep it simple like the title suggests.

LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    you just described my workout

squat 2x8
    db sldl 2x8- I hate sldl but I like these
    bench 2x8
    row 2x8
    db mp 2x8
    db curl 2x8

I lift mon/wed/fri

My rep progression isnt like how you described though. I'll do a set of say bench press and if I found I could get 10-12 I'll add 5lbs the next day. If on the other hand for example with the rows I know I can add 5 more but feel I would be kidding myself I wait till I can get in a few more.

Originally Posted by LoganX View Post
    you just described my workout

squat 2x8
    db sldl 2x8- I hate sldl but I like these
    bench 2x8
    row 2x8
    db mp 2x8
    db curl 2x8

I lift mon/wed/fri

My rep progression isn't like how you described though. I'll do a set of say bench press and if I found I could get 10-12 I'll add 5lbs the next day. If on the other hand for example with the rows I know I can add 5 more but feel I would be kidding myself I wait till I can get in a few more.
    I wrote the rep progression the way that I did to stop people from doing exactly what you're doing. With my programing you have no choice but to push yourself. It has nothing to do with how you 'feel'.

LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    uh what?

I think what Im doing is quite simple and logical. I get 2-3 reps over I add weight, I dont get reps I dont add weight. If I get weight but felt that I was kidding myself on that last rep I'll keep it and add weight when I think Ive managed to get in the reps in a controlled manner.

there is a fine line between pushing yourself and actually getting in the reps properly. There's tons of guys in the gym that push themselves but have sloppy form and are risking injury. Wouldnt you want to make sure that you can actually get in 12 reps of say a 100lbs before going on to 105. Or would you rather kid yourself with the reps and risk injury and look like a fool for just for the sake of getting in 5lbs more?
    Last edited by LoganX; 08-18-2007 at 10:19 PM.

Originally Posted by LoganX View Post
    uh what?

I think what Im doing is quite simple and logical. I get 2-3 reps over I add weight, I dont get reps I dont add weight. If I get weight but felt that I was kidding myself on that last rep I'll keep it and add weight when I think Ive managed to get in the reps in a controlled manner.

there is a fine line between pushing yourself and actually getting in the reps properly. There's tons of guys in the gym that push themselves but have sloppy form and are risking injury. Wouldnt you want to make sure that you can actually get in 12 reps of say a 100lbs before going on to 105. Or would you rather kid yourself with the reps and risk injury and look like a fool for just for the sake of getting in 5lbs more?
    Rep cycling or weight cycling forces you to challenge yourself. The idea is to avoid training to failure most of time but to use it as a test. If you maintain proper form then you won't get injured even if you can't get all of the reps. The result is that you start the next cycle with the same weight. In that case the first week or 2 of the next cycle would serve as a deload. My point is that there are many people who will be using the same weight and reps a year from now because they never push themselves and the result is that they will look the same a year from now.

JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    sounds awful, way to slow progress for a beginner and too much volume on a single day
    Powerlifting log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172662011&page=1

Originally Posted by JiP View Post
    sounds awful, way to slow progress for a beginner and too much volume on a single day
    Oddly enough, the program looks a lot like what us old farts got in the booklet that came with our first weight set. In order to add 1 rep each week, your 1 rep max has to increase by about 2.5% each week. Do the math.

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Oddly enough, the program looks a lot like what us old farts got in the booklet that came with our first weight set. In order to add 1 rep each week, your 1 rep max has to increase by about 2.5% each week. Do the math.
    x2

That's a really great prog, bro. I'm really into abbreviated so i'd split it into two alternating workouts, and I need longer rests, but that stuff rocks.

Actually given me a kick in the pants, and a reminder to up the volume. Might even do it for my comeback! I'm stalled at the moment, with a virus, so hardly treading water.

Reminds me of the York booklet I got with my first sand filled set my wife got me. Still use nearly all York stuff('less I get stuff made), for sentimental reasons.

Just looked over the exercises, reps, sets, and diet advice in those yellowed pages. Damned if that stuff isn't almost state of the art, if you're drug free, like me.

Lift well, bro.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).

In order to add 1 rep each week, your 1 rep max has to increase by about 2.5% each week. Do the math.
    That's crazy I never knew that.

In Flames is on a distinguished road. (+10) In Flames is on a distinguished road. (+10) In Flames is on a distinguished road. (+10) In Flames is on a distinguished road. (+10) In Flames is on a distinguished road. (+10) In Flames is on a distinguished road. (+10) In Flames is on a distinguished road. (+10) In Flames is on a distinguished road. (+10) In Flames is on a distinguished road. (+10) In Flames is on a distinguished road. (+10) In Flames is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    do you keep the same weight for each exercise each week? basically just upping each set by 1 more rep each week? like when you first start the 4x8, you probably could get 4x10, but you just do 8, because your going to keep upping the reps each week? and if you make all prescribed reps/sets on the fifth week, add 5-10lbs to the bar and repeat the process?
    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides with the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and good will shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon those with great vengeance and with furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know that my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Originally Posted by In Flames View Post
    do you keep the same weight for each exercise each week? basically just upping each set by 1 more rep each week? like when you first start the 4x8, you probably could get 4x10, but you just do 8, because your going to keep upping the reps each week? and if you make all prescribed reps/sets on the fifth week, add 5-10lbs to the bar and repeat the process?
    What I think you'd do is use a weight you can perform 4x8 with. Then next week 4x9 would be a reasonable increase but with the same weight (so you want to use a weight that's challenging for 4x8 but not so challenging you wont be able to make the increase by next workout)

Liftinheavy247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liftinheavy247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liftinheavy247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liftinheavy247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liftinheavy247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liftinheavy247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liftinheavy247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liftinheavy247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liftinheavy247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liftinheavy247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liftinheavy247 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    A Simple beginner's Routine
    You will do 3 work outs per week on non consecutive days. The first work out is your heavy work out. The second work out is your medium work out, use 10% less weight for your work sets. The final work out for the week is your lite work out, use 20% less weight.

Do a lite warm up with 1/4 of your work sets weight. Do a medium warm up with 1/2 of your work sets weight. Do 2 work sets with the same weight. Choose a starting weight and start light.

These are the seven exercises you will be starting with.

Squats
    Bench Presses
    Bent-Over Rows
    Overhead Barbell Presses
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
    Barbell Curls
    Calf Raises

You will be running this program on a five week cycle as follows:
    The first week do all 4 sets for 8 reps.
    The second week do all 4 sets for 9 reps.
    The third week do all 4 sets for 10 reps.
    The fourth week do all 4 sets for 11 reps.
    The fifth week do all 4 sets for 12 reps.
    If you got all of the required reps on the fifth week then increase the weight by 10% and

repeat the cycle. If you didn't get all of the reps on the fifth week then repeat the cycle with the same weight. You shouldn't need more than one minute rest between the warm up sets and you shouldn't need more than one minute thirty seconds between the work sets.
    Do some cardio and abs work on non weight training days.
    Great post all pro. This is simmilar to a routine I did a few years back and made great gains on it. Any beginner reading this should give it a shot.

Originally Posted by In Flames View Post
    Use the same weight each week until you can get 2x12. If on the 5th week you can't get it just start the cycle again with the same weight for 2x8. Once you get 2x12 increasing the weight by 10% should put you at around a 10 rep max. You should get the 2x8 on the first week with out to much trouble. It's a built in deload.

That's crazy I never knew that.
    My math is pretty strong and I pay attention to what others post in regards to their progress. For instance, to add 5 pounds to your 5 rep max your 1 rep max has to increase by 6 pounds for most people. Beyond newB stage the beginners and intermediates gain about 1 pound per week on their 1 rep max with the 5x5 programs on average. That does not include Starting Strength because the newBs are making light speed progress on that. For a multi set program you have to reduce your rep max by about 2.5% for each additional set. For instance, 1x5 @ 90%, 2x5 at 87.5%, 3x5 @ 85%, 4x5 @ 82.5%, 5x5 @ 80%. That's typical but some people will do a little better because they recover a little better from set to set and some people won't do quite as well because they don't. But all in all the numbers are close enough for government work.

My math is pretty strong and I pay attention to what others post in regards to their progress. For instance, to add 5 pounds to your 5 rep max your 1 rep max has to increase by 6 pounds for most people. Beyond newB stage the beginners and intermediates gain about 1 pound per week on their 1 rep max with the 5x5 programs on average. That does not include Starting Strength because the newBs are making light speed progress on that. For a multi set program you have to reduce your rep max by about 2.5% for each additional set. For instance, 1x5 @ 90%, 2x5 at 87.5%, 3x5 @ 85%, 4x5 @ 82.5%, 5x5 @ 80%. That's typical but some people will do a little better because they recover a little better from set to set and some people won't do quite as well because they don't. But all in all the numbers are close enough for government work.
    Yeah I guess that makes sense. When I first read that though I had never thought about it and thought I had an epiphany but now I realize I already knew doing a 5RM would increase your 1RM, lol.

RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000)
    Very simple and I bet very effective.

Too bad most people will have the urge to start changing this and adding that, then ask how come they did not see gains?
    My Training Journal...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=608812

"Chris = Awesomeness" :)

Check out...

http://www.redpointfitness.com/

Originally Posted by RipStone View Post
    Very simple and I bet very effective.

Too bad most people will have the urge to start changing this and adding that, then ask how come they did not see gains?
    Well Madcow did say that bodybuilders seem to be suffering from attention deficit disorder didn't he ?

When in doubt follow the G** D***ED instructions.

sardarji has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sardarji has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sardarji has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sardarji has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sardarji has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sardarji has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sardarji has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sardarji has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sardarji has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

good plan

I think its a pretty good plan to start with, esp for me, as I am a beginner. A couple of questions though:

1) what is a good weight to start with for me (i am 26 yr old) or does it depend on how much can i lift initially?

2) what variations can i incorporate in my exercises in the routine as I follow it, as variation is important for effective muscle development?

thanks,
    Sam

sardarji has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sardarji has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sardarji has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sardarji has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sardarji has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sardarji has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sardarji has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sardarji has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sardarji has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

dumbbells

Also, can all these exercises be done effectively using dumbbells? I am following the guide on http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html (excellent site). What is your recommendation?

thanks

RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by sardarji View Post
    I think its a pretty good plan to start with, esp for me, as I am a beginner. A couple of questions though:

1) what is a good weight to start with for me (i am 26 yr old) or does it depend on how much can i lift initially?

2) what variations can i incorporate in my exercises in the routine as I follow it, as variation is important for effective muscle development?

thanks,
    Sam
    1. Start with a weight that you know you can easily complete all the recommended sets and reps. It's always better to start light and work your way up.

2. This is a myth. You don't need varations to gain muscle. What you do need is steady progress via adding weight to the bar as often as possible.

3. Barbells are perferable.
    My Training Journal...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=608812

"Chris = Awesomeness" :)

Check out...

http://www.redpointfitness.com/

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up

Good post, all pro; common sense training. Some may call it "old school" ;call it what you like---it WORKS!
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

kbessette will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbessette will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbessette will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbessette will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbessette will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbessette will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbessette will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbessette will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbessette will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbessette will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbessette will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think it's a good beginner's 3-day routine. It's got good primary exercises. My only concern is the length of the workout, not that it's to much volume, but a newbie keeping mental focus for that long might be challenging. I think after 1 rotation through, I'd probably switch to:
    squats
    superset bench/bent over rows
    superset sh.press/sldl's
    superset curls/calves

I could be completely wrong about this, just my instincts.
    trainersjournal.com
    the fitness lifestyle ... with a get things done attitude

EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I like it, but I would want to add chinups and dips, or at least alternate them with rows and curls.

5-20-2017 NPC Optimum C Cronos1247's Avatar
    Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    This routine should take roughly half an hour to forty minutes to complete?
    MTS Nutrition Houston rep.
    "No BS, no hype. Just results."

Upcoming show NPC Optimum Classics: 5-20-2017

"I don't believe in following any one training style. I couldn't tell what DC or H.I.T. or FST-7 entail. I have no clue and really don't give a ****. I go to the gym to train hard. I don't need to follow a ****ing "program" to do that." - Evan Centopani

5-20-2017 NPC Optimum C Cronos1247's Avatar
    Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Also, I've been lifting for roughly 2 years, but I would say only with a steady/solid routine for 5-8 months. Right now I'm doing this as an example for upper body days..

DB Bench (reps: 12/10/8/6/12 and superset with 1x12 Flys)
    DB Shoulder press (reps: 12/10/8/6/12 and superset with 1x12 DB side lats)
    Wide grip pull down (reps: 12/10/8/6/12 and superset with 1x12 DB rows)
    Tricep Pushdown (12/10/8/6/12 and superset with 1x12 Overhead DB press)
    Alternating DB curls (12/10/8/6/12 and superset with 1x12 hammer curls)

For lower body days..

Leg Press (12/10/8/6/12 and superset with 1x12 leg extensions)
    Stiff legged dead lift (12/10/8/6/12 and superset with 1x12 laying leg curls)
    Calf Raises (12/10/8/6/12 and superset with 1x12 seated calf raises)
    Crunches (12/10/8/6/12 and superset with 1x12 decline crunches)

With the routine you posted, would it be good to put in some wide grip pull downs? Is this an effective back excercise, maybe subbed for the DB rows?

Also, I've never worked with barbells, for squats would it be ok to use the squat machine or is there a benefit to using free form?
    MTS Nutrition Houston rep.
    "No BS, no hype. Just results."

Upcoming show NPC Optimum Classics: 5-20-2017

"I don't believe in following any one training style. I couldn't tell what DC or H.I.T. or FST-7 entail. I have no clue and really don't give a ****. I go to the gym to train hard. I don't need to follow a ****ing "program" to do that." - Evan Centopani

Originally Posted by Cronos1247 View Post
    Also, I've been lifting for roughly 2 years, but I would say only with a steady/solid routine for 5-8 months. Right now I'm doing this as an example for upper body days..

DB Bench (reps: 12/10/8/6/12 and superset with 1x12 Flys)
    DB Shoulder press (reps: 12/10/8/6/12 and superset with 1x12 DB side lats)
    Wide grip pull down (reps: 12/10/8/6/12 and superset with 1x12 DB rows)
    Tricep Pushdown (12/10/8/6/12 and superset with 1x12 Overhead DB press)
    Alternating DB curls (12/10/8/6/12 and superset with 1x12 hammer curls)

For lower body days..

Leg Press (12/10/8/6/12 and superset with 1x12 leg extensions)
    Stiff legged dead lift (12/10/8/6/12 and superset with 1x12 laying leg curls)
    Calf Raises (12/10/8/6/12 and superset with 1x12 seated calf raises)
    Crunches (12/10/8/6/12 and superset with 1x12 decline crunches)

With the routine you posted, would it be good to put in some wide grip pull downs? Is this an effective back excercise, maybe subbed for the DB rows?

Also, I've never worked with barbells, for squats would it be ok to use the squat machine or is there a benefit to using free form?
    Free weight squats are the king. If you've got enough energy left to add pull downs then go for it. I wouldn't suggest changing anything else. I could have put the program together as a circuit to save work out time but I didn't think that most people would have enough equipment to do it that way. The people using this program, ie beginners DON'T NEED SUPER SETS. They just need something simple and basic to get started with.
    Last edited by all pro; 05-07-2008 at 12:13 PM.