harrisRB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) harrisRB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) harrisRB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) harrisRB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) harrisRB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

When to stop bulking

When do some of you determine when it's time to stop the bulk phase and move onto a cut phase, particuarly those that start off thin and those that aren't necessarily trying to compete? Does it make sense to stop bulking and cut to take a break and maybe give the body a break then return to bulking. Would there be physiological benefits to this? I'm aware that when training the physiological response to any repetive pattern is stagnation and thus a plateau. Would this apply to diet, as well. It seems as if I've read literature on this but it was vague. I'm also concerned with gaining too much fat disproportionate the amount of muscle gained. As a side note, I'm in my early 30's and my body tends to store more fat then a few years ago. I suspect this might be due to lower testorone levels(?). Your experiences would be appreciated.

Registered User MaximumTaxation's Avatar
    MaximumTaxation has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaximumTaxation has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It's always good to change things up so that your body doesn't adjust to the things your doing. If your thin, I would never start "cutting," unless you compete. There is no point for you to lose precious muscle mass if your not doing a show. You can however, make changes in your diet which will enable you to continue to grow without the extra body fat. For example, switch all of your carbs to whole grain. Also, you can add some cardio to help keep your metabolism running hot. Cardio does NOT mean you will burn up your muscle is its done reasonably. You also should change your lifting routine, sets, reps, etc, to keep your body guessing which will keep your body growing. But keep you diet high in calories, but very clean. Hope that helps.
    B.A Health & Fitness, Purdue University

SilverSpork is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SilverSpork is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SilverSpork is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SilverSpork is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SilverSpork is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SilverSpork is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SilverSpork is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SilverSpork is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SilverSpork is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SilverSpork is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SilverSpork is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    don't "bulk" and "cut" if you don't plan on competing. Just clean bulk.
    Opeth, Vai, and Lamb of God enthusiast.

Registered User MaximumTaxation's Avatar
    MaximumTaxation has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaximumTaxation has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by SilverSpork View Post
    don't "bulk" and "cut" if you don't plan on competing. Just clean bulk.
    Exactly
    B.A Health & Fitness, Purdue University