Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000)

being in a catabolic state

I have seen the term "CATABOLIC " used on here from time to time and if I am correct the term refers to the body burning muscle for fuel. I have also seen people say that hard exercise ( lifting) for more than about an hour can put you into a catabolic state. I have also seen people recommend doing cardio immediately after weight training because your body is glycogen depleted at this time and the cardio is more effective. SO my question is this, If I lift for 45 minutes to an hour THEN get on the bike for a half an hour wouldn't that still put me into a catabolic state? or is it different for cardio?

user43390fgui8t is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user43390fgui8t is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user43390fgui8t is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user43390fgui8t is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user43390fgui8t is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user43390fgui8t is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user43390fgui8t is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user43390fgui8t is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user43390fgui8t is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user43390fgui8t is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user43390fgui8t is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    catabolism refers to the process by which the body breaks down its own tissues for fuel. this could be muscle tissue (not what a bber wants) or it could be fatty tissue (there ya go).

Link

generally speaking, when you are in a caloric defecit, your body will go catabolic. the trick is to provide your muscles with enough raw materials and signals (protein, amino acids, and training) to grow, while encouraging your body to use the fat as fuel.

through proper diet and training you can force your body to choose which tissue to maintain (muscle), and which to burn (fat).

hope that helps.

rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by OHIOSTEVE
    I have seen the term "CATABOLIC " used on here from time to time and if I am correct the term refers to the body burning muscle for fuel. I have also seen people say that hard exercise ( lifting) for more than about an hour can put you into a catabolic state. I have also seen people recommend doing cardio immediately after weight training because your body is glycogen depleted at this time and the cardio is more effective. SO my question is this, If I lift for 45 minutes to an hour THEN get on the bike for a half an hour wouldn't that still put me into a catabolic state? or is it different for cardio?
    You are thinking right Steve. I know this will open the "can of worms" pwo debate, but your thinking is precisely the reason for protein/simple carbs, and splitting your cardio by either 6-8 hrs. or on a separate day.

The very definition of catabolism is the sequences of enzyme-catalyzed reactions by which relatively large molecules in living cells are broken down, or degraded. The longer you prolong this state, well, you are thinking correctly. It not only effects the "now", it affects recover process, and this relates to your performance at your next training session. The sooner you start the recovery process, well....common sense should dictate the answer to this.

I really hope this doesn't open up the inevitable debate...

user43390fgui8t is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user43390fgui8t is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user43390fgui8t is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user43390fgui8t is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user43390fgui8t is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user43390fgui8t is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user43390fgui8t is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user43390fgui8t is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user43390fgui8t is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user43390fgui8t is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user43390fgui8t is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by rgkstl
    You are thinking right Steve. I know this will open the "can of worms" pwo debate, but your thinking is precisely the reason for protein/simple carbs, and splitting your cardio by either 6-8 hrs. or on a separate day.

The very definition of catabolism is the sequences of enzyme-catalyzed reactions by which relatively large molecules in living cells are broken down, or degraded. The longer you prolong this state, well, you are thinking correctly. It not only effects the "now", it affects recover process, and this relates to your performance at your next training session. The sooner you start the recovery process, well....common sense should dictate the answer to this.

I really hope this doesn't open up the inevitable debate...

im not following you... anabolism and catabolism cannot coexist by definition. if one is to try and "lean up..." then one goes catabolic. stay there, preserve muscle, and lose fat... thats it. you cannot go back and forth between the two within a matter of hours. your net achievement will be zero.

its very simple: eat more calories than you need (above maintenance) and you gain weight... eat fewer calories than you need (below maintenance) and you lose weight.

the caloric intake is measured by day, not by hour. the reason for this is that sleep plays a vital role in catabolism/anabolism...

stay below maintenance and sit on a couch all day: you will lose weight. eat above maintenance and do cardio for 3 hours: you will gain weight.

rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10) rgkstl is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by gimp
    im not following you... anabolism and catabolism cannot coexist by definition. if one is to try and "lean up..." then one goes catabolic. stay there, preserve muscle, and lose fat... thats it. you cannot go back and forth between the two within a matter of hours. your net achievement will be zero.

its very simple: eat more calories than you need (above maintenance) and you gain weight... eat fewer calories than you need (below maintenance) and you lose weight.

the caloric intake is measured by day, not by hour. the reason for this is that sleep plays a vital role in catabolism/anabolism...

stay below maintenance and sit on a couch all day: you will lose weight. eat above maintenance and do cardio for 3 hours: you will gain weight.
    When you are leaning down, the goal is more to stay anticatbolic, which in contest training (dieting, which you well note that it is not really feasible to get anabolic), at least for the natural folks, this for instance is probably the best you can do. The goal is to get out of a catabolic state as quickly as possible. Supplementation with the proper nutrients as soon as possible and all day will help insure to tilt this to your favor, to stay anticatabolic.(save muscle)

If gaining, getting out of a catabolic state as soon as possible will jump start the anabolic process.

When you are leaning down, the goal is more to stay anticatbolic, which in contest training (dieting, which you well note that it is not really feasible to get anabolic), at least for the natural folks, this for instance is probably the best you can do. The goal is to get out of a catabolic state as quickly as possible. Supplementation with the proper nutrients as soon as possible and all day will help insure to tilt this to your favor, to stay anticatabolic.(save muscle)

If gaining, getting out of a catabolic state as soon as possible will jump start the anabolic process.
    I still dont follow you. are you saying that "getting out" of a catabolic state quickly is something someone does "post workout?"

If so, this is incorrect.

being in a catabolic state is absolute and necessary to weight loss of any kind. one cannot decide to be catabolic during cardio, and then go anabolic with a post workout shake.

this kind of reasoning indicates a fundamental misunderstanding of the relationship between basal metabolic rate (BMR), and caloric intake. said relationship dictates catabolism/anabolism.

I think you misunderstand the proper definitions of "catabolism" and "anabolism."

OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000)
    I am more confused now.I understand being in a caloric deficit or surplus which I think is what one of you are calling anabolic and catabolic.But isn't there a time frame in which the body switches from fat to muscle burning? Or does it burn all the material equally? Remember I am new to this but it was my understanding that the body burned in order...carbs...fat...muscle. This being the key to the KETO diet in eliminating excess carbs and putting the body into fat burning quicker. I am sure there is no set absolute time that the body goes from one to the other.I was also under the impression that when the body got to the muscle burning stage THAT was called catabolism. NOW my question again is this, will doing cardio immediately after weight training cause me to burn more fat or more muscle.
    Last edited by OHIOSTEVE; 02-20-2005 at 04:32 PM.

the Epicurean bodybuilder A.FreeRadical's Avatar
    Location: Away from arbitrary power. "Freedom is the emancipation from the arbitrary rule of other men." ~ Mortimore J. Adler
    A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Well, Steve had a good question and this was all very informative...

Originally Posted by Ohiosteve
    SO my question is this, If I lift for 45 minutes to an hour THEN get on the bike for a half an hour wouldn't that still put me into a catabolic state? or is it different for cardio?
    I am interested because I can only do cardio after working out for 60 minutes. I have been drinking a 50gram protein drink between lifting and cardio to keep the catabolism at bay. Am I undoing my cardio (putting myself in an anabolic state) to save my muscles and forfeiting the benefits of cardio (catabolism to burn fat). I never quite got the part about catabolism and anabolism being mutually exclusive. It makes sense, and now I am wondering if what I am doing for cardio is wasted.

Good thread, btw!

aA.FreeRadical a
    Visit my 8 week cutting journal. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=382697
    Jun. 2004
    Neck 16.5" Shoulders 49" Biceps 14.5" Chest 42" Waist 37" Hips 39" Thighs 21"....5' 9" tall 184 lbs bf 18%

July 2007
    Neck 17" Shoulders 50" Biceps 16" Chest 44" Waist 34" Hips 38" Thighs 23"..... 5' 9" tall 189 lbs 19% bf

Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think many people including myself in the past have had misinterpretations of the true defintions of catabolism and anabolism.

The overall state cannot change that fast as I understand it. SO with that, I agree with Gimp. But I also see rgkstl's point and I will add that certain hormonal responses can be driven or manipulated to suit ones goals at the time. (ie a PW shake, pre WO nutrition, or nutrition in general)

Location: Away from arbitrary power. "Freedom is the emancipation from the arbitrary rule of other men." ~ Mortimore J. Adler
    A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    But isn't there a time frame in which the body switches from fat to muscle burning? Or does it burn all the material equally? Remember I am new to this but it was my understanding that the body burned in order...carbs...fat...muscle.
    Not necessarily. Your body has survival as its primary objective. For example, if you cut your caloric deficit too low, your body may burn muscle first (In the evolutionary scheme of things, muscle is less important than possibly starving to death. In that case, it burns muscle and preserves fat.) Protein is a primary factor in all body repair. If you don't have enough protein to keep your lungs, heart, liver, etc going, muscle are an easy pinch for this vital resource.

There is a lot more to it than that, but from what I have read so far that explains the body's seemingly irrational response to save fat when there is not enough calories. Or burn muscles when there is not enough protein in the diet.

I hope that helps. If I got it wrong, I am sure someone will correct me.

aA.FreeRadical a
    Visit my 8 week cutting journal. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=382697
    Jun. 2004
    Neck 16.5" Shoulders 49" Biceps 14.5" Chest 42" Waist 37" Hips 39" Thighs 21"....5' 9" tall 184 lbs bf 18%

July 2007
    Neck 17" Shoulders 50" Biceps 16" Chest 44" Waist 34" Hips 38" Thighs 23"..... 5' 9" tall 189 lbs 19% bf

catabolism means literally, "to break down body tissue for energy." this is an energy releasing process. you can catabolize muscle, you can catabolize fat.

anabolism means to, "construct or synthesize tissue." it takes energy to do so. you can build muscle, you can build fat.

when concerning catabolic states in bodybuilding, the IDEA is to try and nourish and encourage muscle tissue so that it is maintained... while the fat tissue is burned for energy.

this is the main idea behind a simple-sugar rich protein shake immediately post-workout. this encourages muscle maintenance through the absorption of vital nutrients while remaining in a caloric defecit... thus being catabolic.

my head hurts...all I wanna know is will biking after lifting do more muscle harm than fat loss good?

my head hurts...all I wanna know is will biking after lifting do more muscle harm than fat loss good?
    i recommend doing HIIT cardio after lifting.
    get on treadmill (bike or eliptical, whatever).
    2 minutes walk/jog at 75% effort
    1 minute sprint at 100% effort
    2 minutes walk/jog at 75% effort
    1 minute sprint at 100% effort.

repeat this till you have gone for 12 minutes.

this is good for muscle preservation. Think about the guy who has the best body on the football team... hes the wide reciever, and he does almost exactly what I just described.

overall, cardio after lifting wont cause you to lose muscle... but if you were bulking, it might cause you not to gain as rapidly as you could.

Thee Alpha of Thee Alphaz GameDayDog's Avatar
    Location: GameDayDog's Center for Folks Who Can't Workout Good and Would Like To Do Other Things Good, Too!
    GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Cool Huh???

I am more confused now.
    Weird.. I was gonna agree.. that I was more confused too... only because I was thynkin' I myght try working out.. then taking my post workout protein shake, then hitting the bike for 30 minutes or so... That way I can work on any fat deposits I may have whyle I bulk... But never mind... I'm not doing anythyng to slow down my weight gaining.. I'll stick with my lil pre-workout cardio only...

Peace.. ~G
    Cardio Makes You Look Lyke Peter Pan & Richard Simmons Anywayz!
    Last edited by GameDayDog; 02-20-2005 at 06:11 PM.
    I am the Alpha ... RaSP is the oMEGA ... Between the 2 of us - We have everythyng covered...

2300+ Non-Rule Breaking Posts ... 0 Negative Reps.

My favorite threads are the locked & deleted ones.

Everyone find a post by DBFLGirl and rep it... Please!

guys this isnt hard... really.

BMR = basil metabolic rate. this is how many calories you burn every day. consider it how much fuel you need to intake to stay the same weight you are right now.

caloric defecit = eating less calories than you burn every day. this will result in weight loss. if your BMR is 3000 calories and you eat 2000 calories, your body needs to recruit energy from its STORES. this can be in burned fat, or broken down muscle tissue.

caloric surplus = eating more calories than your burn every day. this will result in weight gain. If your BMR is 3000 calories and you eat 5000 calories a day, you will gain weight. if you are lifting heavy you will gain some muscle. if you are a couch potato, you will gain fat.

caloric maintenance = eating the exact number of calories you need per day, in order to neither gain nor lose weight. If your BMR is 3000, you eat 3000 cals.

catabolism = breaking down body tissue for energy. the human body may break down muscle for energy, or break down fat for energy.

anabolism = building tissue out of nutrients. think of how much kids eat when they are growing... why? they must be an a caloric surplus to GROW!

guys this isnt hard... really...
    Doing weight lifting for an hour puts the body into a catabolic state.

Taking a protein shake will be anti-catabolic and taken with simple sugars will produce an insulin spike and promote protein synthesis. (This is anabolic because it is building tissue.)

The benefit of moderate cardio is that it burns calories and if you are catabolic, you will burn fat.

Ok, so far?

Should moderate cardio be done after working out for an hour and after taking a protein shake. It seems like the answer should be no, because the protein shake/sugar put the body into an anabolic state. But I am not sure from your answer, Gimp.

Excellent question Steve. I have been wondering about this.

aA.FreeRadical a
    Jun. 2004

July 2007

AHHHHHH another twist I DO NOT drink my PWO shake until AFTER the cardio!!!

Originally Posted by A.FreeRadical
    Doing weight lifting for an hour puts the body into a catabolic state.

no.

the only thing that will put you into a catabolic state (naturally) is caloric defecit.

How can an exercise be catabolic?

simply (again): being in a state of catabolism = losing weight because the body is metabolizing itself (fat or muscle).

being in a anabolic state means that the body has enough "building blocks" to gain weight. with the right macro-nutrients (protein, carbs, amino acids, even good dietary fats) and weight training you will gain muscle. in a caloric surplus with poor diet and not enough exercise, you will gain fat.

Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    So at what point does cannibalism set in
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Pumping Iron

Originally Posted by Overload
    So at what point does cannibalism set in
    About NOW!

It was such a simple question.

aA.FreeRadical a
    Jun. 2004

July 2007

no.

the only thing that will put you into a catabolic state (naturally) is caloric defecit.

How can an exercise be catabolic?

simply (again): being in a state of catabolism = losing weight because the body is metabolizing itself (fat or muscle).

being in a anabolic state means that the body has enough "building blocks" to gain weight. with the right macro-nutrients (protein, carbs, amino acids, even good dietary fats) and weight training you will gain muscle. in a caloric surplus with poor diet and not enough exercise, you will gain fat.
    so this being true would dictate that gaining muscle and losing fat simultaneously is impossible? PLUS if the body randomly burns fat carbs and muscle how do you lose fat and not lose muscle?

so this being true would dictate that gaining muscle and losing fat simultaneously is impossible? PLUS if the body randomly burns fat carbs and muscle how do you lose fat and not lose muscle?
    YES! well... sorta.

It IS possible to do both at once, however its very inefficient. this is why you hear of competitive bodybuilders "bulking" then "cutting."

they dont do both at once because they want to maximize their muscle gain first (while anabolic, or in a caloric surplus)... then use that new muscle to help burn off the fat.

See the more muscle you have, the higher your BMR is (high BMR=more calories needed to maintain=easier to go into caloric defecit and lose fat). Lean muscle=fat burner.

Sooooo.... bodybuilders BULK, then they CUT.

Doing both at once *is* possible, but not the best way to maximize gains.

raybravo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raybravo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raybravo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raybravo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raybravo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raybravo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raybravo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raybravo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raybravo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raybravo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raybravo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    first of all , gaining muscle and losing fat simulteously is highly difficult, but it does happen becos of the timing, the timing is the key, if the glycogen stores are depleted and you are training at an intensity where fat is the main target, then u lose fat..
    and then again, when your body is in the appropriate state and you provide it with the appropriate amino acids etc, and your hormone levels are correct, then there is a slight chance that you may gain muscle and lose fat simultanously...
    but as u can see, this has to occur on the same day or so and this very unlikely to happen in the body unless you are on anabolic steroids and other such aids...
    again, when u lose fat, you have also lost muscle, its always guaranteed that u lose both together, if what you are doing is correct, you are likely to lose MORE fat and LESS muscle, and vice versa, but u always lose both.
    DEATH BEFORE DISHONOUR !

Omnia Mutantur, Nihil Interit.
    'Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.'

you must never confuse the faith that you will prevail in the end - with the discipline to confront the brutal facts of your current reality . whatever they might be - the stockdale paradox .

By that last post I mean that building muscle in a calorie deficient state( catabolic) is impossible. And that losing fat in a caloric surplus ( anabolic) is impossible. SO you have to choose one or the other? I can lift my ass off and if I reduce my calories enough to lose FAT I will NOT gain muscle because I have to be anabolic to do that. IF I increase my calories enough to build muscle I CANNOT lose fat because I must be in a deficit to do that? NOW I have seen a diet that rotates day to day the goal you have.Day one caloric surplus and lift hard....next day caloric deficit and do cardio..flip back and forth.

By that last post I mean that building muscle in a calorie deficient state( catabolic) is impossible. And that losing fat in a caloric surplus ( anabolic) is impossible. SO you have to choose one or the other? I can lift my ass off and if I reduce my calories enough to lose FAT I will NOT gain muscle because I have to be anabolic to do that. IF I increase my calories enough to build muscle I CANNOT lose fat because I must be in a deficit to do that? NOW I have seen a diet that rotates day to day the goal you have.Day one caloric surplus and lift hard....next day caloric deficit and do cardio..flip back and forth.
    not impossible, just not efficient. see my (and raybravos) previous posts.

also, steve, NO!!! do not "flip back and forth!" this is a bad idea.

Either commit to gaining muscle or commit to losing fat... one or the other for 3 months at a time, or so. flipping back and forth day to day is not going to get you anywhere.

You know all this info is GREAT, BUT it won't save you any money on your car insurance!

steve, what are your goals and stats? i will outline what *I* would do to get to the goal, if I were you.

maybe that will help.

well I am pretty happy with whats going on right now through FITTYS help,BUT as you guys see from my posts on here ALWAYS trying to learn and willing to listen to ANY new ideas. MY GOALS are to be healthy mainly, I would like to look like I lift, I have lifted ALMOST every day for nearly 2 years and NOT ONE of you guys would look at me and think I did at all. I just look like a big guy.I want some muscle definition, not just to be big.
    My stats AS OF 2-5-05
    6 feet tall

265 pounds

17.5 inch neck

57" shoulders

50" chest

18.25 " biceps

40.5 " waist

42.5 around navel ( sucked in lol)

44' hips

16.25 calves

27.5" thighs

13.5 " forearm

17.8% bodyfat according to the online calculator down from 22% one month prior.

okay steve, given the stats, I would say you are higher than the BF% you have estimated via the "online calculator."

the most economical reliable way to get BF% taken is by a professional. get a 5 point caliper test done. id say you are probably closer to 25% bf if you cannot tell that you lift as much as you do, and have been doing so for 2 years.

anyhow, whatever it is... I personally believe that lean body mass is where its at. if i were you, I would presume that you have a good amount of muscle under there, and lean up NOW.

you need to go into a caloric defecit, <2500 cals a day. Spread that over 5 meals. You will be hungry at night. Make sure you get 300g protein minimum.

keep lifting, dont try to make the strength gains like crazy.

Do cardio HIIT like I stated. I would lift 4x a week... and HIIT 7 days a week.

With proper diet, cardio and lifting... you should drop quite a bit of bodyfat fast. Give it 3 months or so... you will get lean.

After you have lowered bf% significantly, we can talk about bulking clean and gaining muscle while putting on minimum fat.

Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I think much of the confusion comes about by all the misuse of the terms or more precisely the misunderstanding of the definitions.
    Most people would simply assume that catabolism refers to the metabolism of muscle tissue, without thinking of the catabolism of fat stores.
    I know thats the way I think, even though it is not strictly correct.
    Same as I wouldnt refer to anabolism as getting fat, but by definition it can be.

I still dont see why all the fuss is justified with regards to bulking/cutting or body recomposition.
    By that I mean that not everyone here plans on competing and so for many (including myself) body recomposition is more important than maximum outright muscle gain/fat loss.
    Maximum fat loss is only possible once you have a decent amount of LMM and many with high bf simply do not have enough LMM do be able to drop the bf while retaining a decent amount of LMM when they have finished.

Even if I drop less bf than I could, if I am adding muscle along the way (which I am), I will always be happier than either full on bulking (and getting fatter) or full on cutting (and losing what little muscle I have).

I think it all comes back to ones goals.
    Last edited by Andrew69; 02-20-2005 at 10:22 PM.
    You gotta love how sports will f*ck with ya, make you believe you can come back from an insurmountable deficit and then get kicked right in the nuts when you're almost there - Bluntdogg