casey8586 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question How does one build thicker biceps?

I lift regularly and my bicep is skinny. Unflexed it's 13 and flexed it's 14 my wifes who also lifts regularly is much wider when flexed, for example her's unflexed is 11 and flexed is 13.5, and it is much wider. I do ez curls... all 3 positions and concentrated dumbell curls. I have even tried 21's and nothing seems to make them wider. I am not in competition with my wife but I sure would like to add thickness to my arms.
    Thanks

DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Keep lifting to be quite honest with 13 inch arms you can't expect very much width. All good things come in time. ...

GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thumbs up Fitty's torture

http://www.forum.bodybuilding.com/sh...ight=low+bicep

There's the infamous link, yet again. Don't forget that the triceps makes up a larger part of the upper arm. Building this up will help with your size issues.
    Last edited by GREENFEATHER; 02-19-2005 at 11:19 AM.

Niroc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Niroc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Niroc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Niroc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Niroc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Niroc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Niroc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Niroc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Niroc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Niroc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Niroc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Check your diet
    "Our scars have the power to remind us that the past is real." Hannibal Lecter

"If live your life with one foot in the past and one foot in the future, you piss all over today"

magnus wsm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) magnus wsm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) magnus wsm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) magnus wsm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) magnus wsm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) magnus wsm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

Originally Posted by casey8586
    I lift regularly and my bicep is skinny. Unflexed it's 13 and flexed it's 14 my wifes who also lifts regularly is much wider when flexed, for example her's unflexed is 11 and flexed is 13.5, and it is much wider. I do ez curls... all 3 positions and concentrated dumbell curls. I have even tried 21's and nothing seems to make them wider. I am not in competition with my wife but I sure would like to add thickness to my arms.
    Thanks
    21,s are junk no wonder your wife has bigger arms, listen lower volume heavier weight means bigger arms. these guys who you lust after in muscle mag curl like 225 pounds for reps. and they have 21 inch arms, so if you are going to get bigger get stronger.i have never seen a guy with 12 inch arms curl 225 easy so strength is a must pumping is that nothing more. now get after it your wife is stretching the sleeves in your shirts.

Thee Alpha of Thee Alphaz GameDayDog's Avatar
    Location: GameDayDog's Center for Folks Who Can't Workout Good and Would Like To Do Other Things Good, Too!
    GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Cool I'll 2nd That!!

Originally Posted by GREENFEATHER
    Don't forget that the triceps makes up a larger part of the upper arm. Building this up will help with your size issues.
    That was my fyrst thought... build da triceps... People feel the biceps.. but see the triceps...

I'm gonna have to pay some attention to that whole low vs high bicep thyng... I guess I was too sleepy to comprehend it...

Peace.. ~G
    I am the Alpha ... RaSP is the oMEGA ... Between the 2 of us - We have everythyng covered...

2300+ Non-Rule Breaking Posts ... 0 Negative Reps.

My favorite threads are the locked & deleted ones.

Everyone find a post by DBFLGirl and rep it... Please!

"keep the body Guessing" body2big's Avatar
    body2big will become famous soon enough. (+50) body2big will become famous soon enough. (+50) body2big will become famous soon enough. (+50) body2big will become famous soon enough. (+50) body2big will become famous soon enough. (+50) body2big will become famous soon enough. (+50) body2big will become famous soon enough. (+50) body2big will become famous soon enough. (+50) body2big will become famous soon enough. (+50) body2big will become famous soon enough. (+50) body2big will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    So many people worried about the bicep, When its all tricep for size. Also to get width I like doing heavy Hammer curls to me this makes the Bicep wider. JMO

Shawn
    "I'm really whalen on my glutes this morning"

"I'm gonna shock the biceps later, finish up with some cardio you know, change it up keep the body guessing"

---Gordon - dodgeball movie---

JH13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Like it was said already,Tri's make up most of your arm.Your Bi's can definetely get bigger though.Try this-

BB curls 3x4-6
    DB incline curls 2x8-10
    DB hammer curls 2x8-10

Train your Bi's direct like this once a week.Use strict form & do your reps in a controled fashion.Don't lift or lower the weight quickly.Also,don't use straps when you train your back(lats).Your Bi's get a good strength workout when you do lifts like bent over rows,but they wont really flex hard if your strapped.

Thanks,

I will try that work out of inclines, hammer and lower reps, my triceps are not bad. I just don't want chicken tendons for biceps.

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by casey8586
    Thanks
    For bicep thickness, do WIDE GRIP, STRAIGHT BAR, PREACHER CURLS (angled bench). Keep your elbows narrow and your hands wide. These will work your inner bi's and make your bis thick. After warm-up use sets of 8 reps. MAKE SURE TO USE A STRAIGHT BAR.

While they are good, the exercises you are currently doing will not target this area.

Try it and let me know if it works. You should feel it right away.

Hey, Thats great advice, I have never used a straight bar, and now that you meantioned it, my wife does.

I will let you know. Thanks.

2pounds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 2pounds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 2pounds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 2pounds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 2pounds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 2pounds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 2pounds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 2pounds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 2pounds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 2pounds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 2pounds is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by GREENFEATHER
    http://www.forum.bodybuilding.com/sh...ight=low+bicep

There's the infamous link, yet again. Don't forget that the triceps makes up a larger part of the upper arm. Building this up will help with your size issues.

I can vouch for this link

tommy87 is not very helpful. (-500) tommy87 is not very helpful. (-500) tommy87 is not very helpful. (-500) tommy87 is not very helpful. (-500) tommy87 is not very helpful. (-500) tommy87 is not very helpful. (-500) tommy87 is not very helpful. (-500) tommy87 is not very helpful. (-500) tommy87 is not very helpful. (-500) tommy87 is not very helpful. (-500) tommy87 is not very helpful. (-500)
    sorry to bother you guys but i figured the over 35's wouldn't talk as much crap as the teens. whats the reason for using a straight bar instead of a ez bar?
    weight:181.5/ bench press 240/ bicep curl 110/ squats 308 /deadlift 360/ shoulder press 143/ pictures are from summer 2004 was 149 pound then, not big at all but consistancy will change that

chest: 42inch
    waist: 31inch
    neck:15.5inch
    bicep:15.5inch
    forearm:14inch
    thigh:24inch
    calve:16inch (lacking size here)

5 foot 9.5

JH13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by tommy87
    sorry to bother you guys but i figured the over 35's wouldn't talk as much crap as the teens. whats the reason for using a straight bar instead of a ez bar?

The EZ curl bar puts your hands in a neutral position.It makes it easier to hold the bar & you don't flex as hard.The str8 bar seems to build mass overall,its harder to do than EZ bar curls so your results are better.

Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Don't neglect the brachialis.

It sits underneath and to the outside of the biceps brachii. The brachialis gives width to the 'biceps'. The brachialis is worked with hammer curls and reverse curls with an ez curl or straight bar (at least for me). And keep in mind your overall physique. Franco Columbu posited that to add an inch to your arms, you have to gain 10-15 lbs of lean weight.

http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/Brachialis.html
    http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/BicepsBrachii.html
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/Arm...#anchor1910082
    "Go home, have a beer and smash something. That's what I would do" - Unknown (but probably Thor).

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by tommy87
    For bicep THICKNESS, the straight bar puts the "inner bicep" or short-head in a straighter line therefore better leverage.

The biceps attach to the INSIDE of the forearm (when viewed from the front). A curl bar is better for MOST people for overall development, but the question posed was for thickness.

lmuse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

thicker biceps

I ve always been told that dumbell hammer curls are good for building
    thickness. They not only work your forearms well, but they seem to really
    hit the lower end of the bicep. Try some for awhile and see if you can tell
    any difference.

clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by magnus wsm
    21,s are junk no wonder your wife has bigger arms, listen lower volume heavier weight means bigger arms. these guys who you lust after in muscle mag curl like 225 pounds for reps. and they have 21 inch arms, so if you are going to get bigger get stronger.i have never seen a guy with 12 inch arms curl 225 easy so strength is a must pumping is that nothing more. now get after it your wife is stretching the sleeves in your shirts.
    I have to agree with this to a degree, go heavy and no more than 3 or 4 sets of 8 reps. But I wouldn’t dismiss 21’s, I alternate. When I find I can’t increase the weight of the heavy curls for some time I do 21’s for a couple of weeks then go back to the heavies, this really blasts the biceps and I usually find I can increase the poundage up on what I was previously doing.
    Diet is also important since I started to bulk and increased my body weight I have noticed my arm measurement increasing too. But keep with it, it wont happen over night.
    Last edited by clive; 01-18-2006 at 01:06 PM.
    Tennis balls?...........my Biceps are as big as Grapefruits!