Capa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Capa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Capa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Capa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Capa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Capa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

dips or push ups?

Hi.

Currently, I do 3x30 elevated push ups 2-3 times a week. I tried dips tonight and can get 3x15.

Are dips the "next step" after elevated push ups? Do they work different parts of the chest? Is 3 times a week too much?

Thanks

This is Absolution! AmateurWrestler's Avatar
    AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000) AmateurWrestler is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Capa
    Hi.

Currently, I do 3x30 elevated push ups 2-3 times a week. I tried dips tonight and can get 3x15.

Are dips the "next step" after elevated push ups? Do they work different parts of the chest? Is 3 times a week too much?

Thanks

I like dips more than pushups, and yes, they are harder. 3 times a week probably isnt too much if you only use bodyweight, but then again, be careful still.
    "Between stimulus and response, there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and freedom."

- Viktor Frankl, Austrian Psychiatrist and survivor of a Nazi concentration camp

"Nothing can resist the human will that will stake even it's existence on it's stated purpose."

- Benjamin Disraeli

daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10) daninthemix is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Dips work the lower chest whereas I'd imagine inclined pushups work the upper chest.
    "We know Burns has the trillion dollar bill somewhere in his house, but all we've been able to ascertain from satellite photos is that it's not on the roof".

www.daninthemix.com

HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi.

Thanks
    What are you looking to get out of your training? What are specific goals for using these exercises?

The trouble with bodyweight exercises, namely dips, chins (though not so much usually) and especially pushups when using bodyweight alone, is that after a certain point you stop building strength and begin building strength endurance. This threshold is usually reached very quickly, especially in push ups. Also people tend to work out with bodyweight stuff way too frequently when their goal is to build muscle.

Strength endurance is ok, if your goal ist to increase your strength enduance. But if you're looking to build bulk and power using bodyweight movements, you must treat them in a different manner.

Using medium reps (5 - 12 or so) over 2 or 3 sets with added resistance is the way to make these exercises work for you in a muscle building respect. Treat them like you would a heavy bench press, squat, pulldown etc i.e when working them HARD dont do each exercise more than twice per week MAX.

A word of warning with dips, make sure taht you do them correctly before adding weight. No overstretching at the bottom, flaring of elbows, bouncing or heaving. Dips can be really demanding on your shoulders so make sure you have them dialled beforeprogressing with them. Also make sure to warm up thoroughly, prehaps using a set of pushups then some partial dips before your work set. If you end up using a lot of additional weight a weighted warmup set is also advisable.

Pushups can be weighted too, using a backpack to hold the plates and rolled up towels stuffed around the weights to stop the plates moving around. A bodyweight push up is about 55-65% of your bodyweight (roughly).

Make no mistake about it, you can build one hell of an upper body using weighted dips, chins and maybe weighted pushups too. Bodyweight exercises have great potential, but few choose to exploit it.
    My progress goes up and down more frequently than a whore at work, but I still love to lift.

Capa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Capa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Capa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Capa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Capa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Capa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for your replies.

I want to build muscle. Maybe shape up (still have abit of flab). If they can do it in the army, then, i'm positive.

I saw somewhere a weight belt that can be used to hook on weights while doing dips or chins. I'll wait until I get good form with bodyweight first.

I might look up a bodyweight program because I cannot do heavy free weights due to a medical condition. I think it may be an ideal alternative.

I'm confused with my program and have incorporated a 3 day split with around 45 minutes cardio 3 times a week.

Thanks again

HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for your replies.

I want to build muscle. Maybe shape up (still have abit of flab). If they can do it in the army, then, i'm positive.

I saw somewhere a weight belt that can be used to hook on weights while doing dips or chins. I'll wait until I get good form with bodyweight first.

I might look up a bodyweight program because I cannot do heavy free weights due to a medical condition. I think it may be an ideal alternative.

I'm confused with my program and have incorporated a 3 day split with around 45 minutes cardio 3 times a week.

Thanks again
    Hi Capa

If you don't mind me asking, why can't you do heavy barbell work? If you medical condition is such that it prohibits heavy bodily loading chinning and dipping with added weights may not be the right way to go.

If your aim is to build substantial muscle then you should really, medical condition permitting, try and include lig, hip and back work into your programme. This could be in the form of a squat and/or deadlift variation to suit your needs and circumstances.
    If traditional barbell squatting is out of the picture, and deadlifts are a no no I would suggest either a good quality leg press or the hip belt squat. The hip belt squat (HBS) may be the most practical option for you especially if you dont have acess to a good quality leg press. Further, the hip belt can also be used for chinning and dipping. The HBS works the thigh, hip and glute muscles in the same way as the regular back squat does but without loading your spine and lower back. This is done since the weight is suspended from a padded belt worn around the hips. I have used the hip belt and have lower back issues and from my experience it is one of the best exercises you can do for your lower body whilst totally sparing your back. You'll need to complement this with some lower back and ab work to work your core muscles sufficently. Back extensions using a roman chair (or on the floor) are probably best if you cannot deadlift safely and a form of weighted ab work will be sufficient to strengthen your abdominals. Weighted hangs from a chin bar for a set time will also work your core muscles and improve your gripping strength and development.

As far as your programme is concerned, training each exercise three times a week, heavy, may or may not work for you. I suggest you start off with it and see. If you find that you are quickly dragging your feet, drop to training twice per week. If this still doesnt help make the second day a light day. You must listen to your body and adjust your training accordingly.
    My progress goes up and down more frequently than a whore at work, but I still love to lift.

Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Dips my man. I have had much more development in my chest and tris from em. I only do them twice a week, chest day and tricep day. The whole "Lean in / Don't lean" to hit the paticular group a bit harder.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    it depends on the rest of your split if 3x is too much.

i wouldn't say dips are better or worse or whatever - it's like dips vs benching, they're both good and serve their own purpose. one isn't really a zillion times superior in my eyes.
    <->