Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Bodybuilding Is Not A Science

I've noticed that too many people here try to make bodybuilding tougher and more complicated than it really is.

I see countless posts of people looking for that magic routine, philosophy, supplement, or food that will transform them from Zero to Hero overnight. I'm telling you, none of these exist.

It's about consistency. Eat, Sleep, Train.

If you're not growing, then maybe you need more sleep, or maybe your not eating enough. Simple Solutions: Eat more, or get more sleep.

Training- There's more than one way to skin a cat. There is no magic routine, tear the muscle down and it will grow, however you go about it is your choice.

Overtraining- This word is tossed around more frequently than a Thai Bar Girl. Worry about undertraing first. Don't convince yourself that you're overtraing, when in reality you're just not willing to do what it takes.

Consistency people. Do the right things over a long peroid of time, and it will all come together.

Thanks for your time.
    . . . .I'm Huge. . . .The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee. Jules "Pulp Fiction"

doctorben@cyber-rights.ne BigBenn's Avatar
    BigBenn is just really nice. (+1000) BigBenn is just really nice. (+1000) BigBenn is just really nice. (+1000) BigBenn is just really nice. (+1000) BigBenn is just really nice. (+1000) BigBenn is just really nice. (+1000) BigBenn is just really nice. (+1000) BigBenn is just really nice. (+1000) BigBenn is just really nice. (+1000) BigBenn is just really nice. (+1000) BigBenn is just really nice. (+1000)
    I agree with everything here except saying bodybuilding isn't a science. It is atleast an expancive field. Knowledge translates into efficient training which = efficient size gain.
    [email]doctorben@cyber-rights.net[/email]

RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I agreed Sobolic, many make it way too complicated. While I agree it can be quite complex, many try to tackle the complex issues before getting a good base down. It's like trying to squat 500 pounds before you can even squat 200.

stangs is just really nice. (+1000) stangs is just really nice. (+1000) stangs is just really nice. (+1000) stangs is just really nice. (+1000) stangs is just really nice. (+1000) stangs is just really nice. (+1000) stangs is just really nice. (+1000) stangs is just really nice. (+1000) stangs is just really nice. (+1000) stangs is just really nice. (+1000) stangs is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up

bump

Lionheart is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Lionheart is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Lionheart is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Lionheart is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Lionheart is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Lionheart is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Lionheart is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Lionheart is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Lionheart is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Lionheart is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Lionheart is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Smile Re: Bodybuilding Is Not A Science

Originally posted by Sobolic

Overtraining- This word is tossed around more frequently than a Thai Bar Girl. Worry about undertraing first. Don't convince yourself that you're overtraing, when in reality you're just not willing to do what it takes.
    Thank you.

Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Machine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Weight training can be as simple as you want to make it. But it can also go the other way. There is quite a bit to think about.

You must train PROPERLY to grow. FORM more important than weight (Stop trying to lift so much weight, it doesn't nothing for you if you are lifting wrong anyway)
    You must get a good amount of sleep
    You must eat right:
    Eat enough protein
    Eat protein at the right times (right after workout for example)
    Avoid the junk food, waste of hunger you need to eat enough good food
    Try to avoid drinking like the plague
    Change routines to shock the body

It isn't a science, but there is stuff to know, and there are a lot of things to screw up on. And beginners usually hit all the mistakes a few times.
    And I agree with the idea that overtraining is a work used WAY to often. but some people really do believe that if you work your arms every day they will grow...
    People who go around pretending to know everything are annoying those of us who really do.

weightlifter45 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weightlifter45 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weightlifter45 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weightlifter45 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weightlifter45 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weightlifter45 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weightlifter45 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weightlifter45 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weightlifter45 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weightlifter45 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weightlifter45 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i agree somewhat, beginners should not think of it as a science they should just lift, eat and sleep but once you get into you should look at all aspects of it to achieve maximum gains

MartialArtist will become famous soon enough. (+50) MartialArtist will become famous soon enough. (+50) MartialArtist will become famous soon enough. (+50) MartialArtist will become famous soon enough. (+50) MartialArtist will become famous soon enough. (+50) MartialArtist will become famous soon enough. (+50) MartialArtist will become famous soon enough. (+50) MartialArtist will become famous soon enough. (+50) MartialArtist will become famous soon enough. (+50) MartialArtist will become famous soon enough. (+50) MartialArtist will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You will never be Mr. Olympia if you don't know anything like the people who do chest and biceps a day. You have to do both, simplify and make things complex.

Like in the martial arts, there are millions of techniques to choose from. You get the basics down, go for the more advanced ones, then you simplify from what you know. But don't expect to be the greatest fighter in the world without any combat training, or expect to hit a bullseye with a M4A1/M-16 without basic training.

No, you don't need a super complex routine, the best routine is one that's simple (Bench, squat, deadlift). However, you need to know how muscles work, grow, the factors that affect strength and size, supplementation, how many reps and sets, how much rest you need, and how to split up your workout.

weightlifter45 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weightlifter45 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weightlifter45 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weightlifter45 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weightlifter45 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weightlifter45 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weightlifter45 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weightlifter45 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weightlifter45 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weightlifter45 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weightlifter45 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally posted by MartialArtist
    You will never be Mr. Olympia if you don't know anything like the people who do chest and biceps a day. You have to do both, simplify and make things complex.

Like in the martial arts, there are millions of techniques to choose from. You get the basics down, go for the more advanced ones, then you simplify from what you know. But don't expect to be the greatest fighter in the world without any combat training, or expect to hit a bullseye with a M4A1/M-16 without basic training.

No, you don't need a super complex routine, the best routine is one that's simple (Bench, squat, deadlift). However, you need to know how muscles work, grow, the factors that affect strength and size, supplementation, how many reps and sets, how much rest you need, and how to split up your workout.
    i agree

Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sobolic has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I personally enjoy researching the finer points, the sciences, but to many people get caught up in this, and try to re invent the wheel with these "Make Shift" routines, which usually are inferior the the good old meat and potatoes routine.

Storytime:

When I first started lifting a met an old guy at my gym, "Old Bob" is what we called him, he didn't work out, he just visited with everyone. He was a former state title Champion Bodybuilder. He saw me doing Deadlifts, of course with horrible form, and he showed me how to do them correct.

I got to know him and usually talked to him on a weekly basis. We'd talk about lifting, diet, basic stuff. He'd ask me what I ate. "Protein Powder" I replied with pride. As if it was some magical drug. "F^&^ that S&*%," he'd say, "Steak and potatoes is all you need, that and a big glass of milk." At the time I thought he was "old fashioned" and that he didn't understand the "new" bodybuilding world.

Looking back on it, I'll be dammed if he wasn't right, Steak and Potatoes is what it's all about.

Moto: Sometimes the old ways are the best, he didn't know about myofibrils, protein synthesis, super compensation theory, or any of that stuff. He knew eating, sleeping, and training.

He was a Champion.
    . . . .I'm Huge. . . .The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee. Jules "Pulp Fiction"

andy1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andy1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andy1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andy1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andy1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andy1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andy1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andy1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andy1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andy1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andy1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    the how fast do i drink my shake after i workout one always makes me laugh. Although in a good way because all this worrying is not harming them, there just trying to make things better, and of course like its been said here keep it simple.

Arnold

Arnold knew nothing about bodybuilding, compared to what we know today. You all admire him, so why not do what he did? He went out in the woods with his friends and would squat, ALL DAY LONG!! Is this overtraining? probably. Did it work? I don't know 7 time Mr. O, you tell me.

Ever read any of his meal plans? Ex. Meal #2 1lb chicken or foul, or 1/2lb of cheese. Not to scientific is it? I didn't think so either.

Arnold did almost the exact opposite of everything that is preached in every magazine, gym, and message board today? According to the "New" style of thinking he was grossly overtrained, used substances that hindered his performance (he smoked marijuana), ate foods that were to fatty, and didn't have the correct form by todays standards. Yet, somehow despite him doing everything "wrong" everything turned out allright.

So is it time to reconsider your sleep, habits, diet, or training?

With so many different styles of training, that so many succesful people have used, wouldn't it be safe to say that it's not really the style of training, or the exercises, but the consistency of sticking to it that got them there?

I'm in a posting mood

I'm not saying that I myself am a meat and potatoes guy, I overly analize my habits like any one else. I take a boat load of supplements, and plan out all of my workouts, count calories and read labels, more or less cause it's something to do, and it makes me feel like I'm working harder to achieve my goals.

Wrestler12321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wrestler12321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wrestler12321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wrestler12321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wrestler12321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wrestler12321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wrestler12321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wrestler12321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wrestler12321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wrestler12321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wrestler12321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I totally agree with you, but if bodybuilding was as easy as eat, sleep and train, would any of us be on these forums?
    I rep back.

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."

-Gen. H. Norman Schwartzkopf

The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar
    str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Re: Bodybuilding Is Not A Science

Originally posted by Sobolic
    I've noticed that too many people here try to make bodybuilding tougher and more complicated than it really is.

I see countless posts of people looking for that magic routine, philosophy, supplement, or food that will transform them from Zero to Hero overnight. I'm telling you, none of these exist.

It's about consistency. Eat, Sleep, Train.

If you're not growing, then maybe you need more sleep, or maybe your not eating enough. Simple Solutions: Eat more, or get more sleep.

Training- There's more than one way to skin a cat. There is no magic routine, tear the muscle down and it will grow, however you go about it is your choice.

Consistency people. Do the right things over a long peroid of time, and it will all come together.

Thanks for your time.
    thank you I get so many questions that are like people being sooo precise...like should i take 4 days off or 5 days off, will eating a bagel make me put on fat...how much. You can't be exact. Dieting is exact in that you have to be at a certain level of calorie intake. But building muscle is not an exact science, everyone is different.
    Peace

Thorazine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Thorazine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Thorazine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Thorazine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Thorazine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Thorazine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Thorazine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Thorazine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Thorazine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Thorazine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Thorazine is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I beg to differ.

While bodybuilding itself is pretty basic (as you stated, eat, sleep, train) what sets apart one person from the next are the LITTLE things.

These little things are what science has taught us. Monitoring insulin levels, sodium/potassium, carb loading, training styles, hypertrophy, recovery and recuperation, supplementation, and the list goes on.

Frankly, to be successful and look as good as Sobolic and Str8, you NEED the science, but NOT before you cover the basics.

Good post nonetheless Sobolic.

Thorazine

Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000)
    SOBOLIC - I REALLY LIKE WHAT YOUR SAYING BECAUSE I WILL BE DAMNED.... ITS TRUE!

YOU PUT A SMILE ON MY FACE, BECAUSE A LOT OF PEOPLE OUT THERE NEED TO REALISE BBING IS ALL ABOUT THE BASICS. I ESPECAILLY LIKE YOUR STORY ABOUT THE 'OLD FASHIONED' CHAMP U MET.

STEAK AND POTATOES BABY!
    Kill me. You must. For I will not stop.

Originally posted by Thorazine
    I beg to differ.

While bodybuilding itself is pretty basic (as you stated, eat, sleep, train) what sets apart one person from the next are the LITTLE things.

These little things are what science has taught us. Monitoring insulin levels, sodium/potassium, carb loading, training styles, hypertrophy, recovery and recuperation, supplementation, and the list goes on.

Frankly, to be successful and look as good as Sobolic and Str8, you NEED the science, but NOT before you cover the basics.

Good post nonetheless Sobolic.

Thorazine

I appreciate the kind words Thorazine. A competitive bodybuilder needs science, no doubt, but most of the people on these boards work out to look good naked.

As STR8 pointed out people are trying to be too precise. The bagel question was a great example.

We can't answer every question you have. I don't know if this food will make you fat, or if that exercise will work well for you, everyone is different, not one person on this earth has the same body as another. Try something new, if it works, then stick with it, if it doesn't work, well then there's one more avenue you can cross off.

Newbies, if you'll notice STR8, Thorazine, Jean, BIG RED, Travis, myself, and some of the other vets rarely post questions of our own. Not because we are human encyclopdias on bodybuilding, but because we know about the trial and error reasoning, and we have ahd the patience to see what works well for us.

Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000) Crazee_786 is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up

definitly

milkl0ver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    bodybuilding doesn't = logy

Weissmuller has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah Sobolic I agree.

I myself have been guilty of the science for mass idea. Everynow and then I find myself reading about the molecular level of something or look over my routine for any sign of negative training, but I always catch myself and say screw this. Sure I like the biology behind it but nothing can compete with intuition(sp). I think Big Cat put it best saying that your BBing lifestyle evolves and eventually(with enough time) we will all come to the proper style for ourselves. You and have to listen to your body and let things evolve; learn for yourselves. I always find some crazy idea on the web based on scientific ideas that is absord. The science might be interesting but it won't throw the weight on. Listen to your body and let your style evolve with time has always been my idea.
    Due to the 2nd Law of thermodynamics if one wishes to add order to their life they must add an equal or greater amount of disorder to their surroundings.

:-: Fitness is nothing more than the body's adaptation to a created enviroment.

liftin14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

hey

bodybuilding in a way IS like a science think about it like this you need to pick the right supplements, training regine, and the right nutrition that works for you. And in order to find these things that work for you you need to experiment. So technically bodybuilding in a way is like a science.
    dont get me wrong I agree with you when you say there is the a mirracle supplement or program.
    formally known as Massive14. But some weird stuff happened now I am just plain simple liftin14.

Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Whats the point of doing what u dont understand?

lifter

doctorben@cyber-rights.ne BigBenn's Avatar
    BigBenn is just really nice. (+1000) BigBenn is just really nice. (+1000) BigBenn is just really nice. (+1000) BigBenn is just really nice. (+1000) BigBenn is just really nice. (+1000) BigBenn is just really nice. (+1000) BigBenn is just really nice. (+1000) BigBenn is just really nice. (+1000) BigBenn is just really nice. (+1000) BigBenn is just really nice. (+1000) BigBenn is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by Powerlifter16
    Whats the point of doing what u dont understand?

lifter
    agreed, and besides, research is FUN.
    [email]doctorben@cyber-rights.net[/email]

Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yup i agree... everyone should invest into book's that have good sports science info in them and are trust worthy.

lifter

powerlifter - do u know any good titles that are worth a read?

greg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) greg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) greg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) greg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) greg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) greg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) greg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) greg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) greg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) greg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) greg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Like people have meal plans. I dunno about u people but I find it ridiculous(sp?). I just eat whatever i got in the frigde

Originally posted by Crazee_786
    powerlifter - do u know any good titles that are worth a read?
    Dreschlers Encyclopedia of Weightlifting
    Science of Sports Training - Thomas Kurz
    Desiging Resistance Training Programs- Stephen Fleck and William Kraemer
    Strength and Power in Sports-Pv Komi
    Science and Practice of Weight Training- Vladimir Zatsiorsky
    Fitness and Strength Training- Jurgen Hartman and Harold H.
    A System of Multi Year Training in Weightlifting- Medvedyev
    Fundamentals of Special Strength Training in Sport- Verkhoshansky
    Neuromechanics of Human Movment- Roger Enoka
    Renegade Training for Football- Coach John Davies
    Strength Training Anatomy- Frederic Delavier
    School of Height- Russian's
    SuperTraing- Mel Siff
    Facts and Fallicies- Mel Siff

psikooz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psikooz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psikooz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psikooz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psikooz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psikooz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psikooz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psikooz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psikooz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psikooz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psikooz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    NAtural bodybuilding isnt a science, but PRO bodybuilding is.. Look at all those chemical experiments .....

yo thanks powerlifer, i havent heard any of those titles b4.

so which one outta 'dem u got the most info (like the best 3 or whatever).

i see u dont just settle for arnie's encyclopedia!