Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Tom Knighton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tom Knighton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tom Knighton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tom Knighton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tom Knighton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tom Knighton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tom Knighton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tom Knighton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tom Knighton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tom Knighton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tom Knighton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Tom's workout thread!

Well folks, I decided to start my own workout thread here. I figure they are a good way to be accountable for my workouts, since you guys won't let me slack off, as well as possibly see problems before they creep up. I look forward to you're input, and thank you in advance for your encouragement.

I started a new routine today. I had been doing one set circuit training three times per week, but I honestly hated it. I love sets and reps and now was the time to change. I worked out my split like this:

Monday: Chest and Biceps
    Tuesday: The "C" Word (Cardio )
    Wednesday: Back and Triceps
    Thursday: Shoulders
    Friday: C Word
    Saturday: Legs and Abs
    Sunday: Cardio

So, today was chest and I was a bit disappointed in myself. Here's what I was planning on doing:

DB Press: 3 sets X 10 reps
    Incline Press: 3 sets X 10 reps
    Incline Flies: 3 sets X 10 reps
    DB Curls: 3 sets X 10 reps
    In. Hammer Curls: 3 sets X 10 reps
    BB Curls: 3 sets X 10 reps.

However, what happened was something different.

DB Press: 3 sets X 10 reps
    Incline Press: 2 sets X 10 reps, 1 set X 8 reps
    DB Curls: 3 sets X 8 reps
    In Hammer Curls: 3 sets X 5 reps

I had nothing left for the last exercise for each muscle. I figure I need to either drop the weight, or the number of reps. I'll probably drop the reps since I feel that the heavier weight will help increase muscle growth.

Now, onto some other stuff about me. I just hit my first of the small goals, and you guys have been great. My current weight is 215 lbs. My BF%, as per thefitnesshub.com, is 34.35%. My height is 5'8". If anyone wants my measurements, I'll be happy to provide them.

I had originally planned on not sharing a pic of me until after I made more gains, but realized that to really document my transformation, I needed pics to show where I started, as well as where I ended up. So here is me, taken just a few minutes ago with a crap digital camera. Please pardon the quality. I really think I look better than this pic is showing, but we all know how camera's lie

Tom
    Attached Images
    "WHERE ANGELS AND MARINES FEAR TO TREAD, THERE YOU'LL FIND A CORPSMAN DEAD."

Written by a Marine on the back of a dead Corspman's shirt in August of 1942.

I am humbled to have been able to call myself one of them.

Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Glad to see you've started a journal, Tom! We will most definitely be ready to "crack the whip" if you start slacking!

You'll do just great! I'm going to keep a photo journal of progress once I start cutting, but I'll post them when I'm good and ready! LOL
    "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

GOOOOO COCKS!!!!!! GOOOOO STEELERS!!!!!

Tom Knighton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tom Knighton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tom Knighton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tom Knighton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tom Knighton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tom Knighton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tom Knighton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tom Knighton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tom Knighton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tom Knighton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tom Knighton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks Hibby!

I also need to thank body2big for the DB he sent me! It got here today and without it my workout wouldn't have been possible!!

Thanks bro!!

Tom

Thee Alpha of Thee Alphaz GameDayDog's Avatar
    Location: GameDayDog's Center for Folks Who Can't Workout Good and Would Like To Do Other Things Good, Too!
    GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Cool Just Wonderin'...

Why are you combining Chest/Biceps... Back/Triceps.. instead of the traditional - Chest/Triceps .. Back/Biceps... ??? Just wonderin'...

Peace.. ~G
    I am the Alpha ... RaSP is the oMEGA ... Between the 2 of us - We have everythyng covered...

2300+ Non-Rule Breaking Posts ... 0 Negative Reps.

My favorite threads are the locked & deleted ones.

Everyone find a post by DBFLGirl and rep it... Please!

~*IronBelle*~ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ~*IronBelle*~ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ~*IronBelle*~ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ~*IronBelle*~ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ~*IronBelle*~ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ~*IronBelle*~ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ~*IronBelle*~ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ~*IronBelle*~ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ~*IronBelle*~ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ~*IronBelle*~ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ~*IronBelle*~ will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Talking

Originally Posted by Tom Knighton
    So here is me, taken just a few minutes ago with a crap digital camera. Please pardon the quality. I really think I look better than this pic is showing, but we all know how camera's lie

Tom
    You didnt pick a very kind angle for yourself Tom. TIP:

Hold the camera above shoulder height, the angle makes you look better.

I'm about 30% bf so it will be interesting watching what you do and reading your journal.

IronBelle,

Yeah, tell me about it! Unfortunately its a webcam so I had to work with what I had, ya know?

I was hesitant to post a pic of me in this condition, but since I consider this body only temporary I saw no harm in it

Game,

I had always, in the past, done the traditional split of working tris with chest, etc, and never could make any gains at all. Then I read a couple of places that said you might be overdoing it if you work them together, so I figured this was worth a shot. My body may have changed from when I was younger, but not THAT much. Never is anything set in stone though. If it doesn't work, then I'll change it back to a more traditional split.

Back to my training...Today is the dreaded "C" word...YUCK! Oh well, I gotta do what I gotta do!

Tom

Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Hey Tom!

Nothing wrong with you're workout split. As long as you are hitting all the muscles 1X per week you'll do fine. Don't be afraid to mix things up and have fun. Currently I'm doing Chest/Shoulders, Back/Bi's, Legs/Tri's 4X15 reps. Coming off a 3X5 Push, Pull, Leg work-out this is very strenuous and gets me suckin' some air! Just enjoy the time you spend working out and don't get bored, results will come. Semper Fi!

Well another work out that sucked!

Today was cardio. I planned on doing 30 minutes on a stationary bike. I kept it pretty slow, since I knew that I was still trying to build up to something faster and was ready to be patient.

I only got 12 minutes

On the upside, it wasn't my cardiovascular endurance that made me quit. Instead, my legs just couldn't take it any longer. When I was younger, my legs would often give out before my CV system would, so apparently this is still the case. I either need to work up on the bike, or do some other type of cardio until my legs have thier strength to do the bike. I'm probably going to go with the biking myself up to 30 minutes, then upping the intensity of the ride.

Unless I can figure out a way to get out of cardio. Anyone? Anyone?? Darn.

Tom

GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Exclamation Cardio Kong Lives

Tom, I have the same issues with my legs early in the season, today was a good example. I felt like I could go further, but after yesterdays hell leg session it just wasn't in the cards! I did 28.86 miles and in the fall of the year, I coulda gone around this loop a second time. I learned a valuable lesson this year. DON'T SLACK ON THE CARDIO !! Even though I did, I was 2 mph faster than the start of last year and not as winded as I was. I had enough gas to play ball with the neighbors kids for about an hour until Benny and Charlie ran off with the soccer ball. All I can tell you is to keep at it and it will get better and easier!
    Good luck and good medicine

Greenfeather,

Thanks. It's just a bit frustrating to be trying so hard but not be able to do what you think is pretty simple. I have to remember to be patient. This isn't going to happen over night. I didn't get fat that fast, so it won't go away over night. I'm dropping weight pretty quick, so it'll happen soon enough.

I just have to remember to eat right and work out when I'm supposed to. It's the only way to get where I want to be!

Oh and I figured I would post this here for everyone. I've promised to reward myself for hitting my goal later this year (since I WILL hit it ). I've never played organized football, but my home town just got an Arena League 2 football team, the South GA Wildcats. For hitting my goal, I'm going to try out for the team next season. I don't think I've got a shot in hell of making it, but it doesn't matter. It'll be great just talking to my son about "the time I tried out for a pro football team"

Tom

Location: GameDayDog's Center for Folks Who Can't Workout Good and Would Like To Do Other Things Good, Too!
    GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50) GameDayDog will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Cool Don't Sell Yourself Short...

Man... don't sell yourself short.. you could be the next Kurt Warner... grocery boy turned NFL Superbowl MVP... or ... one team, I thynk the Saints has a kick returner that was a delivery guy... Anything can happen...

We're watchin'!!! & Don't feel bad about cardio... I don't do any at all...

Peace.. ~G
    I am the Alpha ... RaSP is the oMEGA ... Between the 2 of us - We have everythyng covered...

Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    That would be too cool, Tom -- arena football! Hope that works out for you.

Have you tried walking for your cardio? You could build up on a treadmill or walk outdoors.
    "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

Gator is just really nice. (+1000) Gator is just really nice. (+1000) Gator is just really nice. (+1000) Gator is just really nice. (+1000) Gator is just really nice. (+1000) Gator is just really nice. (+1000) Gator is just really nice. (+1000) Gator is just really nice. (+1000) Gator is just really nice. (+1000) Gator is just really nice. (+1000) Gator is just really nice. (+1000)
    good luck Tom..
    the threads the way to go bro !!

Gator
    Damn greens are like kryptonite this year !!!!

OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hey TOM, a suggestion on the bike...I can go all day on a bike at a medium pace, HOWEVER if I get on a bike that doesn't fit me well I can't do 5 minutes. Make sure the bike is set up good for you, it can cause your legs to ache if it isn't.

OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000) OHIOSTEVE is just really nice. (+1000)
    BTW, congrats on the decision to get in shape..I found this place and its been a GOD send to me, the people here are knowledgable and very helpful.

"keep the body Guessing" body2big's Avatar
    body2big will become famous soon enough. (+50) body2big will become famous soon enough. (+50) body2big will become famous soon enough. (+50) body2big will become famous soon enough. (+50) body2big will become famous soon enough. (+50) body2big will become famous soon enough. (+50) body2big will become famous soon enough. (+50) body2big will become famous soon enough. (+50) body2big will become famous soon enough. (+50) body2big will become famous soon enough. (+50) body2big will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey Tom try adding 5 min per week to your cardio so you did 12min next week go for 17min then 22min. each week you should be able to add 5 min. Also as someone said make sure the bike fits which is so true. Keep it up.

Shawn
    "I'm really whalen on my glutes this morning"

"I'm gonna shock the biceps later, finish up with some cardio you know, change it up keep the body guessing"

---Gordon - dodgeball movie---

Thanks everyone. The bike fits me, since I've had it for years and it's set up for me . As for me thinking I really don't have a shot for making the team, that's only because I have never played organized football before in my life. I've played some pickup games, but I didn't even play Pop Warner, so I have no experience...except watching Michael Vick be unhuman .

Don't get me wrong....I'd LOVE to be wrong and end up an All-Pro in the NFL

It could happen....We have good football genes in this town. After all, we produced the Superbowl MVP!! (Congrats Deon Branch!!!)

Tom

1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1stindoor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hey Tom, your workout looks good enough to me, if the traditional "chest-tri" stuff wasn't giving you gains then switching up is what's called for. As for the cardio, just take it slow and easy and build yourself up. You didn't gain your weight and up your bodyfat overnight...it took time...give it time to go back again. I've found that if you try to rush what your body can recouperate from you run the risk of injury, which just keeps you from working out.

Cool Self-Defense...

Hey!! ... hehehe.. I didn't say anything was "WRONG" with working Chest/bi's... etc.. the way he's doing it... I was just asking "WHY" ... if he'd had some super scientific reason, I'd be juggling my workout so I could do the same groupings...

I'm just tryin' to learn fellas... but no offense given.. none taken..

Peace.. ~G

What a workout today! Much better than Monday!

Today was back and triceps. Here was how it went:

One arm DB rows 3 sets (25lbs X 8, 30lbs X 6, 30lbs X 6)
    Barbell Rows 3 sets [still have to weight the bar] (Bar+25lbs X 10, +40 X 6, +40 X 6)
    Deadlifts 3 sets (+77.6 X 6 for all three sets)
    Bench Dips 3 sets unweighted for 10 reps each (should have only done 9 on the last set)
    Tricep Extention for 3 sets at 15 lbs X 8 reps
    DB Kickbacks 3 sets (5lbs X 8, 5 lbs X 6, 5 lbs X 6)

On the last dip, I felt a sharp pain in my right tricep. I was able to rub the pain out, but I spent the rest of the workout cautious about worsening an injury. I completed the workout, but that was the only downside of it. My tris are toast right now.

I now see what everyone means about deadlifts. I was careful to keep my back straight throughout the exercise. It was GREAT!!! I feel I could have done more for my lats though, so I should probably up my weight on those exercises for next time. When I've got the money, I'm spending it on a pullup bar, since I really want my lats to come along and those are great for it!

All in all, a pretty good workout!!!

Tomorrow is shoulders, so I can hardly wait!!!!

Tom

Addendum

I know it's my mind playing tricks on me, but in this case I don't mind it at all. After each day lifting, I feel myself getting bigger and stronger. It doesn't make sense, but that's exactly what I feel. A good workout like todays goes miles to making me feel stronger and leaner.

I can't wait till July when I should be about 15% or less bodyfat! I'll be a happy camper!!!

Tom

Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up

Tom everyone likes to go heavy on shoulders and tris, but the problem is many of the exercises put stress on the rotator cuff at the same time. IMO, take it slow do not worry about doing large amounts of weights. Slow and sure increases are the way to go, paying strict attention to forum. Also it would not be a bad idea to start some light rotator exercises to help prevent injury. Make sure not to overtrain an area as like with tris they are used when training chest to a degree. Ths is one reason I like to pair up chest and tris.

Keep kickin butt Tom !

I hear you completely Chi, but I was careful not to do that today. I went pretty light, but got a burn (but not to much). Shoulders are tomorrow and I'm planning on hitting them with a moderate weight for the most part (well maybe not on the shrugs) and build them up. Injuries suck.

Thanks for the warning! I had planned on trying to go heavy (relatively speaking) tomorrow, but you made sense, so I'll work up a bit slower

Tom

KennyUtah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KennyUtah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KennyUtah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KennyUtah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KennyUtah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

Keep up the good work Tom, U da man.

Well, today was shoulders day and I followed Chi's advice and tried to stick to moderate weight. Here is what my workout looked like for today:

front laterals
    15 lbs x 8
    15 lbs x 8
    15 lbs x 8

side laterals
    15 lbs x 6
    15 lbs x 6
    15 lbs x 6

DB overhead press
    15 lbs x 8
    15 lbs x 7 (I think there was a form problem on this set)
    15 lbs x 8

DB shrugs
    45 lbs x 8
    45 lbs x 8
    45 lbs x 8

All in all a fairly decent workout. I did find a problem with my DBs though. Because of the cheap-o weights I have 45 lbs is the max I can load up on them. However, I'm hoping to be able to have the money for a spiffy new set that will change a lot of that.

Also a note:
    The only part of me that is sore today is my legs, not the back like I suspected they would be from the deadlifts. Now I have to wonder did I use to much leg or something? I'll take a look around and see what I may have done.

Please feel free to critique my workouts, just keep in constructive (which isn't an issue in this forum ).

Thanks,
    Tom

Nice job, Tom! Sometimes I get more sore than other times from working out. Just make sure you work hard while you're there!

Thanks Hibby!

That's the plan!

Tom

:bump:

Cuz I hate being on the second page

Tom

I woke up this morning feeling pretty crumby, but it wasn't until late morning that I discovered I had a fever. Since today was cardio day anyways, and tomorrow is legs, I figured it best to take it easy today and let my body rest. Currently, I have no scheduled rest day on my split, with all non-lifting days set for cardio, so I'll rethink that somehow. I may also add cardio on some lifting days since I'm trying to lose weight.

Who knows. I feel to rotten to worry about that today. Hopefully I'll be better tomorrow.

Tom

GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thumbs up Moving ahead

Like someone else said, never sell yourself short. The minute you think you can't do something, you're doomed. I know you learned in the service that you can do anything you put your mind too, it's no different here!! I can tell you that MAX-OT is working for me and I'll update my thread this weekend. Between MAX-OT and Fittys arm workout, I swear I can feel my arms growing after a work out !
    During the nice weather I'll be doing 4-6 days of cardio and I love the feeling of being outside rolling along on my bike. Keep on keepin' on bro!!