mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000)

Thinking about new leg day - squats and deadlifts on the same day?

I used to mainly use machines for a leg workout, I just recovered (recovering) from surgery and I'd like to revise my leg day. I'm looking through the leg exercises on bodybuilders.com and it shows deadlifts as the first exercise for Quads. I've never really done deadlifts before and I want to start doing them, but I thought they worked your back. Maybe I mistook them with barbell rows. Anyways, do any of you guys do squats and deadlifts on the same day? I'm thinking about it, but I dont know if I'll have the strength to finish one after going all out on the other.

If you dont do them both on leg day, which day do you throw in your deadlifts? Thanks.

Cbury64 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i just started doing them on the same day and thought it was fine
    train hard losing is NOT an option....

machine360 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Deadlifts work not only the back, but the entire back, although primarily lower, glutes and hamstrings, and everything around it known as the Posterior Chain. I've personally used deadlifts in my workouts for years after squats. The biggest thing is to keep them early on in your workouts, usually after squats because both are very CNS taxing exercises. Keep the reps low, recovery periods in between sets around 2 minutes and you should be fine, the way you schedule it is the key, you cant do Squats and Deadlifts in the same day with 6-7 other exercises, the wear and tear on your body would finally set in. Rather, as an athlete, I would much rather do 3-4 high taxing compound movements, this could help in hypertrophy as well because of the stimulation of neural units and the endorcrine systems as well as nearing faliure of the muscular system.

I would include, not all but movements such as Squats, Deadlifts, Lunges, Hack Squats, SLDL's, RDL's as well as some hip dominated movements. Thats just from an athletes point of view. You would want 3-4 total movements, making sure you work the entire leg not just the quads to promote structural balance within the body.

lord_hope has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lord_hope has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lord_hope has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lord_hope has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lord_hope has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lord_hope has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lord_hope has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lord_hope has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lord_hope has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lord_hope has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lord_hope has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

Don't do squats and dl's on the same day. There is nothing wrong with it like and if you keep doing it it will be fine, but you may not gain as much long-term. Heavy squats should really burn u out. Do heavy squats and front squats and then keep deadlifts for back day (u will lift more).

psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Since I started doing deadlifts again (after a 6 month break due to totally OTing on them), ive been doing them after squats, on the same day. I mostly did 3-4 work sets of squats, about 6 reps. I plan to reduce the reps though, to 4 or less usually. In 5 weeks I put 66lbs back onto my deadlift (actually just 11lbs beyond my previous best). I dont have a problem with doing deads after squats, Its fine for me so try it and see if its ok

--Joe
    5'11", 187lbs, 19 y/o

[DL]
    5 x 302.5 (06.06)
    [Pullups]
    3x3 x +33 (08.06)
    [overhead]
    115 x 3 (09.06)

Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?goto=lastpost&t=633909

gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I don't see any problem with doing squats and then deads, just make sure you don't do deads and then squats without a spotter cause your legs will be taxed to the max after doing both and thats why I like doing them together. After I started doing them together a couple months ago my legs have gotten much bigger and way stronger.

shastaniel will become famous soon enough. (+50) shastaniel will become famous soon enough. (+50) shastaniel will become famous soon enough. (+50) shastaniel will become famous soon enough. (+50) shastaniel will become famous soon enough. (+50) shastaniel will become famous soon enough. (+50) shastaniel will become famous soon enough. (+50) shastaniel will become famous soon enough. (+50) shastaniel will become famous soon enough. (+50) shastaniel will become famous soon enough. (+50) shastaniel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've got respect for you brothers who can hack deads and squats on the same day. I don't think I could do it... after 5 heavy ass sets of deads (not counting warmups) I think I'd puke at just the thought of doing multiple sets of heavy squats, bleh. Not nec. physically draining (although I'm sure the CNS gets spent) but mentally. I do 5 working sets for both squats and deads, and I don't think I could get a good mind-muscle focus for all 10 sets if I did them continuously. Mad props.

rednek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rednek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've done both in the same day in the past, and had pretty good success. I'd do 4 sets of squats followed by 3 sets of deads. Given, I wasn't doing the most weight I've ever done, but I was using a decent amount.