dj_is has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Asymmetrical Bicep / Tricep / Lateral Deltoid size

All,

I am just getting back into lifting (broke my right ankle in two places, slipped a disk in my lower back), and have noticed something strange.

My right Bicep/Tricep is substantially larger than my left, but my left Lateral Delt is substantially larger than my right. I am right handed, but there does not seem to be a large strength difference between the two arms when I lift. Even typing right now, I can tell the difference in the muscles on each side. Kind of strange.

Anyway, I do the usual for my arms (dumbell curls, hammer curls, skullcrushers, etc.) and the difference keeps getting more pronounced. If anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ian

PS: Is anyone familiar with calcium supplements? I feel like I should take them to strengthen my bones (don't drink alot of milk, as a bachelor it tends to turn into a gallon o' cheese).

DrJeckl is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrJeckl is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrJeckl is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrJeckl is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrJeckl is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrJeckl is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrJeckl is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrJeckl is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrJeckl is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrJeckl is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrJeckl is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    lol, my entire left side is bigger than my right yet im right handed. Believe it or not i started doing everything using my left side, and my right side caught up. I found that decreasing my sets and increasing the number of workouts i do could have cause my right side to catch up. But i'd try one armed curls and anything one sided to catch up, but im not to sure if that works. Maybe with time the bigger side will get used to the work and stop growing, while youre smaller side still isnt used to it so it will catch up.
    If it aint hurtin it aint workin.

"i have a medical condition where, when u cut out my carbs, my foot will immediatly go up ure ass"- wanda sykes

Sacrifice

KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I had the same problem for awhile when i started out, since i worked a labour job to an extent i guess my right arm was my dominant side and it was a bit bigger/developed than my left, and it made me use improper form in my movements. Now i have finally been seeing good results with strict form for the last while and my sides are catching up with each other.

If its getting more pronounced it could more than likely be a form issue, you have to make sure each side is getting equal work placed on it and in the same way. Elbow positioning can play a lead role in this. Especially with compound movements. Take some weight off and check that form, make sure both sides are doing the same movement and the same muscles are being targetted on both sides. Do this for all movements. Some people claim dumbells help with this, but its more about mind/muscle connection and barbell will do the same when used correctly.

All this doesn't rule out the possibility that its a genetic thing as well, one side could have different muscle fibres than the other and take to different rep ranges differently, or the muscles can be placed slightly differently on one side from the other.

Use the information above and assess the possibilitys.
    Good luck with your training
    "I'm worried about deadlifts too. I mean the word "dead" has got to be in there for a reason. Are you sure they won't kill me?" - olympic

dj_is has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for all the info guys. It could very well be a form issue, as I am still a relative newbie. I'll decrease my weight, focus on form, and see what happens.

Thanks again!