chicken_little has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Squats: knees go past toes?

I've recently starting doing squats and I've heard 2 sides of the story on this issue. Is it ok for your knees to go past your toes?

Take this for example: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attach...hmentid=159876

Is that perfect form? It looks like his knees go a little past his toes.

bobsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    In Brent Mikesell's video, he instructs that not only should they not, but that your lower leg (ankle to knee) should barely move at all, it should stay as close to vertical as possible throughout the squat.

bobsy

PowerSwede is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PowerSwede is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PowerSwede is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PowerSwede is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PowerSwede is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PowerSwede is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PowerSwede is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PowerSwede is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PowerSwede is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PowerSwede is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PowerSwede is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by bobsy
    In Brent Mikesell's video, he instructs that not only should they not, but that your lower leg (ankle to knee) should barely move at all, it should stay as close to vertical as possible throughout the squat.

bobsy
    Um, how in the heck do you accomplish that without falling backwards?

Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000)
    unless your calves weight 105498124021 lbs. and the rest of your body weighs 5 lbs., its only natural for the knee to go out in front of the toes a bit.

bobsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by PowerSwede
    Um, how in the heck do you accomplish that without falling backwards?

Practice I guess, if I try squats I can quite accomplish it, if you can get a glimpse of his video check it out, he shows it and explains that part thoroughly. He even set the camera up at a side angle on the floor so you only see that part of his leg, it stays perfectly vertical. Dont ask me ask him.

bobsy

PowerSwede is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PowerSwede is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PowerSwede is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PowerSwede is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PowerSwede is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PowerSwede is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PowerSwede is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PowerSwede is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PowerSwede is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PowerSwede is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PowerSwede is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by bobsy
    Practice I guess, if I try squats I can quite accomplish it, if you can get a glimpse of his video check it out, he shows it and explains that part thoroughly. He even set the camera up at a side angle on the floor so you only see that part of his leg, it stays perfectly vertical. Dont ask me ask him.

bobsy
    If i go ass to grass, free weight, normal stance there is no way in hell i can do that keeping my back straight, i have to go extremely wide and point my toes outward to even come close to it.

BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Brent also uses a very wide pl style squat. It's easy to keep the knees back with this style. But with feet at shoulder width it's not really possible.

Originally Posted by BoxSquat
    Brent also uses a very wide pl style squat. It's easy to keep the knees back with this style. But with feet at shoulder width it's not really possible.
    Ah, that's what i thought, i prefer shoulder width ATG squats.

Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Boridi
    unless your calves weight 105498124021 lbs. and the rest of your body weighs 5 lbs., its only natural for the knee to go out in front of the toes a bit.
    Mine doesn't
    I am not trying to be better than you, just better than myself
    BB jiu jitsu team 2009

F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50) F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50) F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50) F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50) F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50) F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50) F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50) F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50) F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50) F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50) F W Nietszche will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The point of that is that you don't lean foward and attempt to wriggle the weight upwards.

rugs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rugs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rugs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rugs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rugs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rugs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rugs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rugs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rugs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rugs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rugs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by F W Nietszche
    The point of that is that you don't lean foward and attempt to wriggle the weight upwards.
    yep

Consistency + Knowledge BodySculpting's Avatar
    BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Boridi
    Disagree.

They should not go past your toes period, its not hard to do. If it is, you are probably using too much weight.
    "The only way out of hell, is through it. "

Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by BodySculpting
    Disagree.

They should not go past your toes period, its not hard to do. If it is, you are probably using too much weight.
    Law of individual differences people. Body shape will be a large factor in if you can do this.