malone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Possible to build muscle/lose fat simultaneously?

Ok, I started seriously lifting about 5 weeks ago. I'm 6'4" and at that time I weight about 235lbs. I don't know what my bodyfat % was precisely, but I'd guess around 20%. I've basically been on a bulking diet, lots of protein and carbs, probably 3000-3500 calories a day. I'm getting stronger and I know my muscles are growing, but aside from noticably larger arms/shoulders, I basically look the same as I did 5 weeks ago.

So my question is, is it possible to build muscle and at the same time shed some of the fat so that the muscle definition shows through? Obviously to lose fat, I need to burn more calories than I eat. But if I still get enough protein, will it really harm my gains if I have a caloric deficit?

No0b will become famous soon enough. (+50) No0b will become famous soon enough. (+50) No0b will become famous soon enough. (+50) No0b will become famous soon enough. (+50) No0b will become famous soon enough. (+50) No0b will become famous soon enough. (+50) No0b will become famous soon enough. (+50) No0b will become famous soon enough. (+50) No0b will become famous soon enough. (+50) No0b will become famous soon enough. (+50) No0b will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It is on Keto. I don't know about regular diets.

jtsisyoda will become famous soon enough. (+50) jtsisyoda will become famous soon enough. (+50) jtsisyoda will become famous soon enough. (+50) jtsisyoda will become famous soon enough. (+50) jtsisyoda will become famous soon enough. (+50) jtsisyoda will become famous soon enough. (+50) jtsisyoda will become famous soon enough. (+50) jtsisyoda will become famous soon enough. (+50) jtsisyoda will become famous soon enough. (+50) jtsisyoda will become famous soon enough. (+50) jtsisyoda will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Are you sure 3000-3500 calories is enough to bulk? I'm 6'5" 210-215 more or less steady for a couple weeks on around 3500/day. Plus I haven't been able to work out as much as planned, on account of various excuses-- I mean legitimate reasons. I've seen 20 x body weight (lbs) as a recommended calorie intake. Of course it varies from person to person.
    Jan 2005
    Bench 150
    Squat 125
    Deadlift 75

May 2005
    Bench 215
    Squat 235
    Deadlift 275

August 2005
    Bench 225
    Deadlift 335

Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by malone
    So my question is, is it possible to build muscle and at the same time shed some of the fat so that the muscle definition shows through?
    Yes
    Originally Posted by malone
    Obviously to lose fat, I need to burn more calories than I eat. But if I still get enough protein, will it really harm my gains if I have a caloric deficit?
    Its not that simple.
    Many will argue that the ONLY thing that counts when it comes to loosing weight is calorie deficit, but if that was true, then we could all eat m&m's and drink coke, and so long as we were in calorie deficit, we would lose weight.
    We all know this isnt the case.
    What you are talking about is body re-composition and it is possible. If you lifted weights at least 3 times per week and added HIIT cardio 2-3 times per week while eating a clean diet 2-300 cals above maintenence, I believe you would succeed in achieving your goal.
    It will be increasingly hard to continue recomping when you start to get leaner, but I know it is possible until you are down to at least 12%bf.

Remember, to build muscle, you MUST be in a hyper caloric state, but it doesnt need to be as far above as many poeple believe.
    Dont forget that recomping is the middle ground.
    There a ways of losing fat faster (but you need the LMM first).
    There are ways of building muscle faster (but you need to start leaner).
    So your absolute results will be a bit of a compromise, but still much better IMO then the alternatives in your position.
    Last edited by Andrew69; 02-09-2005 at 01:16 AM.
    You gotta love how sports will f*ck with ya, make you believe you can come back from an insurmountable deficit and then get kicked right in the nuts when you're almost there - Bluntdogg