pm39120 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pm39120 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pm39120 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pm39120 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pm39120 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pm39120 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pm39120 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pm39120 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pm39120 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pm39120 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pm39120 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Uncle Ben's Rice

Has anyone tried Uncle Ben's converted rice? it susposedly has a lower gi than that of brown rice. do you think its a good alternative?

Inuendo? In HER end Oh! PickItUp's Avatar
    PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by pm39120 View Post
    Has anyone tried Uncle Ben's converted rice? it susposedly has a lower gi than that of brown rice. do you think its a good alternative?
    Here is a little secret. Shhhh...don't tell anyone.

Rice, is Rice.

Some of it is a little better for you than others. But in the end, it's all rice.

You sacrifice mainly fiber when you go to white rice vs. brown rice. THe GI rating are so close that it is almost a non-issue. As for the other nutireints that you get from brown rice...screw em. Take a multivitamin and keep on trucking.

Even though brown rice is superior to white rice...the difference is not as substantial as many make it out to be.

Just stay within your macros.
    Mark these words in the annals (no homo) of bodybuilding.com.
    8===D~~~ (.Y.)

imoffg is a name known to all. (+5000) imoffg is a name known to all. (+5000) imoffg is a name known to all. (+5000) imoffg is a name known to all. (+5000) imoffg is a name known to all. (+5000) imoffg is a name known to all. (+5000) imoffg is a name known to all. (+5000) imoffg is a name known to all. (+5000) imoffg is a name known to all. (+5000) imoffg is a name known to all. (+5000) imoffg is a name known to all. (+5000)
    a little off subject, but

i can't fine those uncle bens bowls ANYWHERE!!!
    OG Misc Crew - 2006 Checking in

SEAman First Class skinnyboipgh's Avatar
    skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Not rly . . .

First I must say that statement makes no sense on the basis of fundamentals, since parboiled rice like Uncle Ben's is precooked with steam, hence more processed, hence it should have higher GI than a minimally processed grain like brown rice.

Sooo . . . I did some checking at:

http://www.glycemicindex.com/

And sure enough, they had Uncle Ben's listed, the regular "cooks in 10 minutes" kind had a GI of 68. The Brown Uncle Ben's had a GI of 64.

Regular brown rice has a GI of 50 and instant brown rice has a GI of 80.

One thing is consistent: more processed = higher GI

Not that it rly makes a significant difference BTW, all kinds of rice r close enough that in the "big picture" of the overall glycemic load (GL) of a typical meal w/ meat, veggies & rice, will be little affected by the kind of rice u choose.

IMO u should go ahead and eat Uncle Ben's or whatever kind of rice u want, it's not going 2 make any difference in body composition.

`
    Best Regards,

Ed

To the optimist, the glass is half full . . .
    To the pessimist, the glass is half empty . . .
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=336405441#post336405441
    Helpful or encouraging posters in my journal get repped.

Zachary53088 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zachary53088 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zachary53088 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zachary53088 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zachary53088 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zachary53088 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zachary53088 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zachary53088 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by skinnyboipgh View Post
    First I must say that statement makes no sense on the basis of fundamentals, since parboiled rice like Uncle Ben's is precooked with steam, hence more processed, hence it should have higher GI than a minimally processed grain like brown rice.

Sooo . . . I did some checking at:

http://www.glycemicindex.com/

And sure enough, they had Uncle Ben's listed, the regular "cooks in 10 minutes" kind had a GI of 68. The Brown Uncle Ben's had a GI of 64.

Regular brown rice has a GI of 50 and instant brown rice has a GI of 80.

One thing is consistent: more processed = higher GI

Not that it rly makes a significant difference BTW, all kinds of rice r close enough that in the "big picture" of the overall glycemic load (GL) of a typical meal w/ meat, veggies & rice, will be little affected by the kind of rice u choose.

IMO u should go ahead and eat Uncle Ben's or whatever kind of rice u want, it's not going 2 make any difference in body composition.

`

I think it depends on how you cook it too. Some people like their rice soft and fluffy. You know when you take the rice out their so flufft they stick to eachouther like paste. But me I don't make it like that I like the rice particles to not stick together and be more firm thus being harder to digest and lower GI.