stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10) stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10) stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10) stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10) stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10) stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10) stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10) stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10) stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10) stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10) stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Deadlifting with small plates

The gym I go to has these ****ty technogym plates that are significantly smaller than your standard 20 kg plate. It's the only gym I've ever used so I'm not exactly sure how far off the floor the bar should be with regular sized plates. At the moment I'm putting a couple of plates face down on the floor to elevate the bar a little when deadlifting. The bar is about 2 inches above my ankle, still a fair bit below mid shin level. How far from the floor should the bar be?

Am I benefiting by pulling from a lower starting position? I guess there is greater ROM this way but obviously I can't lift as much weight.

skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by stuntmanhy View Post
    The gym I go to has these ****ty technogym plates that are significantly smaller than your standard 20 kg plate. It's the only gym I've ever used so I'm not exactly sure how far off the floor the bar should be with regular sized plates. At the moment I'm putting a couple of plates face down on the floor to elevate the bar a little when deadlifting. The bar is about 2 inches above my ankle, still a fair bit below mid shin level. How far from the floor should the bar be?

Am I benefiting by pulling from a lower starting position? I guess there is greater ROM this way but obviously I can't lift as much weight.
    With regulation-sized Oly 45s, the bar will be ~8 1/2" off the floor.

By deadlifting at a 'deficit,' using smaller-diameter plates (or using regular 45s but standing on a step-up, or whatever), you will gain strength in the lowest part of the ROM. This is a common tactic used when the trainee has trouble breaking the bar off the floor.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Technogym plates aren't that much smaller. They are smaller than typical plates, but it isn't really significant. Perhaps compared to a bumper plate, sure.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10) stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10) stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10) stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10) stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10) stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10) stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10) stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10) stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10) stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10) stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    With regulation-sized Oly 45s, the bar will be ~8 1/2" off the floor.

By deadlifting at a 'deficit,' using smaller-diameter plates (or using regular 45s but standing on a step-up, or whatever), you will gain strength in the lowest part of the ROM. This is a common tactic used when the trainee has trouble breaking the bar off the floor.
    Thanks for that I think I'm gonna carry on doing them how I'm doing them then and hopefully that little bit of extra ROM will help me out in the long run.

Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post
    Technogym plates aren't that much smaller. They are smaller than typical plates, but it isn't really significant. Perhaps compared to a bumper plate, sure.
    Really? Im talking about these ones

Not sure about measurements but the bar doesn't seem very far from the floor when using them

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Don't worry about it, it's all good training. Maybe your deadlift max will be a little lower than it could be but unless you are obsessed with comparing your numbers to others it doesn't matter. Progressive overload uber alles.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Don't worry about it, it's all good training. Maybe your deadlift max will be a little lower than it could be but unless you are obsessed with comparing your numbers to others it doesn't matter. Progressive overload uber alles.
    Yeah I hear ya, as long as my deadlift is going up. Only got slightly concerned recently as my squat is quickly catching up with my deadlift. I guess it's nothing to worry about plus my deadlift form still needs work.