demmel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

dumbbell or barbell benchpress

Hi,

I have been wondering for years what the pros and cons for dumbbell over barbell benchpress are. I realize that the barbell benchpress allows you to work more weight whereas the dumbbell benchpress uses a higher range of motion, works more equally both sides and probably uses more stabilizing muscles.

1) what do you think?
    2) which one do you prefer?
    3) Can you gain more mass by doing on or the other?

4)..... whatever else comes to your mind.
    No sacrifice, no victory (over yourself)

psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you could only do one for some bizarre reason, DBs would be the way to go, but I love my BB bench and will never give it up. I think you should be doing both.. Use the BB to push the big weights and increase your strength, while the DBs will assist in development and stability.

Not saying Dbs wont increase strength, but obviously you cannot DB press as much as you BB press.
    BRB, going hunting...

Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    well everything you mentioned is pretty much true

as for the questions i like DB due to the fact my left pec is weaker so i like how i cant really cheat myself..i find DB has helped me even out my left..not all the way there though =/

and yea i would say you can build strength..in a year ive gained 30 lbs on both sides..decent strength i would hope

best of luck
    IG = @ Bmur18 - Follow me and message for reps

**BMBC...MANG!**

rep back 10k+

crofty22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) crofty22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) crofty22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) crofty22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) crofty22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) crofty22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) crofty22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) crofty22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) crofty22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) crofty22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) crofty22 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Do Both

AFIrensde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AFIrensde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AFIrensde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AFIrensde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AFIrensde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AFIrensde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AFIrensde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AFIrensde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AFIrensde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AFIrensde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AFIrensde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i agree with above poster, do both.

db for stability, muscle recruitment, balance etc.
    and bb for heavier wieghts.
    If you dont have something nice to say dont say anything at all.

Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken.
    -Tyler Durden

i rep back

Scottish & Proud Hulston Prickle's Avatar
    Hulston Prickle will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hulston Prickle will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hulston Prickle will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hulston Prickle will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hulston Prickle will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hulston Prickle will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hulston Prickle will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hulston Prickle will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hulston Prickle will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hulston Prickle will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hulston Prickle will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I do both, but I lean towards DBs for chest.

That said, I did a set of 50 pound DBs (one in each hand) for 5 reps last night. It's a new high for me and I'm over the moon about it, even if I know it's small potatoes for some of you.

jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Wink

I do both, but, usually like db's better because of the free ROM.

klen is on a distinguished road. (+10) klen is on a distinguished road. (+10) klen is on a distinguished road. (+10) klen is on a distinguished road. (+10) klen is on a distinguished road. (+10) klen is on a distinguished road. (+10) klen is on a distinguished road. (+10) klen is on a distinguished road. (+10) klen is on a distinguished road. (+10) klen is on a distinguished road. (+10) klen is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by crofty22 View Post
    Do Both

Agreed
    To train like a horse you must eat like one!

AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I always start every chest day with barbell.. 3 x 10... then move onto dumbbell bench 3 x 10.

Still admirin Xmas brah? BaSsSiKk's Avatar
    BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    BOTH, sorry to be of no help but it's fact lol

bluerider450 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Definately utilize the bar and dumbells. I injured my left shoulder and found that DB's were much more tolerable than the BB. After awhile I started to go pretty heave with them and when my shoulder was well enough I went back to the barbell and my max had gone up quite a bit. I also noticed that DB's helped me to add more mass to my lower pecs. Today I use both in my chest workouts.

HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I've found DBs to be far superior for strength gains.

Registered User MaximumTaxation's Avatar
    MaximumTaxation has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaximumTaxation has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I prefer dumbells over the barbell, but I also don't focus on flat pressing with either. I do incline the majority of the time, and I not only get a better ROM, but I can squeeze the upper chest much better with dumbells.
    B.A Health & Fitness, Purdue University

Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I use both as well. My typical chest day is flatbench barbell presses, incline dumbell presses and flatbench flyes.
    "Shut up and lift!"
    "Eat big to get big."
    "Deadlift and grow."
    'Train, Eat, Sleep."
    "Knowledge is power."
    "What does not kill you, will make you stronger."

Ergo sum fortissimus.

Etienne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Etienne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Etienne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Etienne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Etienne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Etienne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Etienne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Etienne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Etienne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Etienne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Etienne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    For a lack of a spotter, I did only DB BPs for the first year of training - only recently started going BB BPs and to this day I can still BP more with the DBs for some reason.

mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I do flat barbell and incline DB

Zepphire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zepphire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zepphire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zepphire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zepphire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zepphire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zepphire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zepphire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zepphire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zepphire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zepphire is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by MaximumTaxation View Post
    I prefer dumbells over the barbell, but I also don't focus on flat pressing with either. I do incline the majority of the time, and I not only get a better ROM, but I can squeeze the upper chest much better with dumbells.
    your lat insertions are insanely low

DoubleC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DoubleC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by HoosierBoy View Post
    I've found DBs to be far superior for strength gains.
    x2

Drakeprimeone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drakeprimeone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drakeprimeone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drakeprimeone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drakeprimeone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ive read in Muscle and Fitness Mag that doing dumb bells are preferable on a decline bench press while barbells are the way to go for flat and incline benching. I cant remember the details or why, I'll have to dig through back issues to find it again.

My chest days include
    Incline Bench - Smith Machine, low reps and heavy weight for strenth
    Flat Bench - Free weight BB, higher reps and moderate weight to work on pump and form.
    Decline Bench - Free weight DB, pyramid style weight and reps.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Barbells offer, besides the increased weight (or perhaps the cause of it), unique things that dumbbells do not. If you attempt to pull dumbbells apart, they'll fall to the sides and if you can't do a pec fly, you'd better drop em or you get injured. If you attempt to pull the dumbbells together, they'll just come together and alter your arm angles and probably clank togehter and skid off each other unless they have flat sides.

But you can try to crush a barbell together or pull it apart and it won't budge, but it will alter the muscles you're using to press a great deal.

Presumably, pushing it together would be more chesty, pulling it apart more tricepy.