Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

    The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 43
  1. #1
    Registered User ksamurai's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2006
    Age: 35
    Posts: 245
    BodyPoints: 1898
    Rep Power: 14
    ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Visit ksamurai's BodySpace
    ksamurai is offline

    Don't Take Arginine Pre-workout ?!?

    I know a lot of people (including myself) like to take Arginine 'pre'-workout for the pumps, but it appears pre-workout oral Arginine may be counterproductive, as it may actually reduce the GH (growth hormone) response to exercise... some are suggesting that it should only be taken on off days or 'post'-workout...

    (see "Oral arginine attenuates the growth hormone response to resistance exercise" - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1655191)

    However, I haven't found this discussed in the context of a full pre-WO supplement stack. I suspect that studying the performance of a pre-workout stack such as Creatine-Mono/Arginine/BCAA as a whole may be different than looking at the effects or Arg alone (since Arg is a Creatine precursor, etc.)

    Should we not be taking Arginine pre-workout... should we not take it at all??? Can anyone provide any further technical insight? Scientific references? (no product info or sales pitches please).

    Thanks...
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Registered User 1995GM's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2007
    Location: United States
    Age: 68
    Stats: 6'1", 172 lbs
    Posts: 431
    BodyPoints: 5263
    Rep Power: 22
    1995GM is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1995GM is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1995GM is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1995GM is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1995GM is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1995GM is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1995GM is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1995GM is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1995GM is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1995GM is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1995GM is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Visit 1995GM's BodySpace
    1995GM is offline
    If I remember correctly isn't it in SuperPump250? SuperPump is a pre-workout drink so wouldn't that negate all the positives of the product?
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User ksamurai's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2006
    Age: 35
    Posts: 245
    BodyPoints: 1898
    Rep Power: 14
    ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Visit ksamurai's BodySpace
    ksamurai is offline
    Originally Posted by 1995GM View Post
    If I remember correctly isn't it in SuperPump250? SuperPump is a pre-workout drink so wouldn't that negate all the positives of the product?
    Arginine is a common supp in a lot of pre-workout products out there... that's why I think it's an important question.

    Specifically I am curious as to whether anyone has seen any info regarding the impact of Arginine (taken pre-workout) on growth hormone, when taken along with other supplements (BCAA's and Creatine for example). Is there still a negative impact as has been observed when taking Arginine 'only' pre-workout?

    I searched through Pubmed, but I became overwhelmed with search result going that route... that is the kind of info I'm looking for though.
    Last edited by ksamurai; 08-08-2007 at 10:23 AM.
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Registered User BIG_prom's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2007
    Location: Solon, Ohio, United States
    Age: 24
    Stats: 6'1", 261 lbs
    Posts: 183
    BodyPoints: 2506
    Rep Power: 8
    BIG_prom will become famous soon enough. (+50) BIG_prom will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Visit BIG_prom's BodySpace
    BIG_prom is offline
    as i understand, from the articles and studies ive read, l-arginine helps increas the production of GH, not reduce it
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    nevigsawkufelgnisaton in10city's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2005
    Location: New York, United States
    Posts: 24,703
    BodyPoints: 7900
    Rep Power: 33878
    in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit in10city's BodySpace
    in10city is offline
    Originally Posted by BIG_prom View Post
    as i understand, from the articles and studies ive read, l-arginine helps increas the production of GH, not reduce it
    You obviously missed this "Oral arginine attenuates the growth hormone response to resistance exercise" -> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1655191
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Registered User ksamurai's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2006
    Age: 35
    Posts: 245
    BodyPoints: 1898
    Rep Power: 14
    ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Visit ksamurai's BodySpace
    ksamurai is offline
    Originally Posted by BIG_prom View Post
    as i understand, from the articles and studies ive read, l-arginine helps increas the production of GH, not reduce it
    Right... however, the above-mentioned study finds that 'exercise alone' results in a greater GH secretion boost than 'exercise + pre-workout arginine'. So, Arginine has a negative effect in this regard.

    That's pretty big news considering that so many people are taking Arginine pre-workout for the pumps, creatine synthesis, etc.
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User MaximumTaxation's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2007
    Location: Schererville, Indiana, United States
    Age: 32
    Stats: 5'6", 224 lbs
    Posts: 128
    BodyPoints: 2643
    Rep Power: 8
    MaximumTaxation will become famous soon enough. (+50) MaximumTaxation will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Visit MaximumTaxation's BodySpace
    MaximumTaxation is offline
    this study only had 8 participants. That fact right off the bat makes it invalid and un-reliable. A good study that can be taken seriously should consist of many more people to make an impact. Also, as big-prom stated, other studies have been consitant with showing benefits on GH, not disadvantages. If many other good studies start showing this negative effect, then take it into consideration
    B.A Health & Fitness, Purdue University
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Registered User ksamurai's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2006
    Age: 35
    Posts: 245
    BodyPoints: 1898
    Rep Power: 14
    ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Visit ksamurai's BodySpace
    ksamurai is offline
    Originally Posted by MaximumTaxation View Post
    this study only had 8 participants. That fact right off the bat makes it invalid and un-reliable. A good study that can be taken seriously should consist of many more people to make an impact.
    I have some education in statistical analysis, and appreciate what you are saying regarding the size of the study... still I don't think you ingnore that just because it's a small sample size... the result was consistent and "significant" across all subjects.
    Originally Posted by MaximumTaxation View Post
    Also, as big-prom stated, other studies have been consitant with showing benefits on GH, not disadvantages. If many other good studies start showing this negative effect, then take it into consideration
    Keep in mind that this study does not go against what big-prom stated... you have to take it a step further, the study says "Oral arginine alone (7 g) stimulated GH release, but a greater GH response was seen with exercise alone. The combined effect of arginine before exercise attenuates the GH response."
    Last edited by ksamurai; 08-08-2007 at 01:20 PM.
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Registered User ksamurai's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2006
    Age: 35
    Posts: 245
    BodyPoints: 1898
    Rep Power: 14
    ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Visit ksamurai's BodySpace
    ksamurai is offline
    So, in a nutshell, it seems to me that Arginine still = Good... except for "pre-workout".
    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Registered User ksamurai's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2006
    Age: 35
    Posts: 245
    BodyPoints: 1898
    Rep Power: 14
    ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Visit ksamurai's BodySpace
    ksamurai is offline
    Surprised this doesn't garner more interest considering the ba-zillion pre-workout products and stacks containing Arginine that are discussed here on a daily basis...
    Reply With Quote

  11. #11
    BOATS AND HOES user98511001541's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2006
    Age: 27
    Stats: 5'9", 220 lbs
    Posts: 19,795
    BodyPoints: 23083
    Rep Power: 25487
    user98511001541 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) user98511001541 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) user98511001541 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) user98511001541 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) user98511001541 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) user98511001541 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) user98511001541 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) user98511001541 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) user98511001541 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) user98511001541 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) user98511001541 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit user98511001541's BodySpace
    user98511001541 is offline
    studies need atleast 30 people to be credible, with statistical perfection in 100 people

    1 study says bad, while numerous says good. you be the judge
    Gaspari Nutrition Rep and Overall BAMF
    www.gasparinutrition.com
    alec @ gasparinutrition.com


    Turning into a pirate-grizzy bear hybrid! --- Bulkin to 230!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=127371573


    TRAIN INSANE: http://vimeo.com/7472199
    Reply With Quote

  12. #12
    Search and Destroy Killa Destroya's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2006
    Age: 24
    Stats: 5'10", 142 lbs
    Posts: 790
    BodyPoints: 6813
    Rep Power: 0
    Destroya is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Destroya is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Destroya is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Destroya is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Destroya is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Destroya is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Destroya is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Destroya is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Destroya is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Destroya is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Destroya is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Visit Destroya's BodySpace
    Destroya is offline
    This is an interesting topic.
    Reply With Quote

  13. #13
    Registered User ksamurai's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2006
    Age: 35
    Posts: 245
    BodyPoints: 1898
    Rep Power: 14
    ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Visit ksamurai's BodySpace
    ksamurai is offline
    Originally Posted by AConrad00 View Post
    studies need atleast 30 people to be credible, with statistical perfection in 100 people

    1 study says bad, while numerous says good. you be the judge
    Find me a single study that specifically concludes 'Exercise + Arg' > 'Exercise alone' (in terms of GH response) and you've got reps coming your way my friend!
    Reply With Quote

  14. #14
    Registered User LockOut's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2006
    Age: 44
    Posts: 722
    Rep Power: 21
    LockOut is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LockOut is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LockOut is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LockOut is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LockOut is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LockOut is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LockOut is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LockOut is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LockOut is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LockOut is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LockOut is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    LockOut is offline
    Arginine is a GH precursor and and helps increase GH levels overall..Also arginine is proven is university studies to increase exercise performance/power. there can always be conflicting studies, but athletes have used arginine for over 30 years and its benifits are well known...it is only recently that this silly increased pumps benefit has become popular...arginine is much more then just for this.
    "Freedom isn't free" How quickly we forget.
    Reply With Quote

  15. #15
    Registered User ksamurai's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2006
    Age: 35
    Posts: 245
    BodyPoints: 1898
    Rep Power: 14
    ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Visit ksamurai's BodySpace
    ksamurai is offline
    Originally Posted by LockOut View Post
    Arginine is a GH precursor and and helps increase GH levels overall..Also arginine is proven is university studies to increase exercise performance/power. there can always be conflicting studies, but athletes have used arginine for over 30 years and its benifits are well known...it is only recently that this silly increased pumps benefit has become popular...arginine is much more then just for this.
    The studies aren't conflicting at all, Arginine supplementation had not been studied extensively in conjuction with exercise (most past studies have focused on subjects at rest)... there's clearly the possibility that supplementing Arginine pre-WO impairs GH release during resistive exercise as these studies are showing, so I'll hold off on taking it pre-WO until the verdict is out...

    Off-days, sure... just not pre-WO.
    Last edited by ksamurai; 08-08-2007 at 07:49 PM.
    Reply With Quote

  16. #16
    Registered User LockOut's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2006
    Age: 44
    Posts: 722
    Rep Power: 21
    LockOut is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LockOut is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LockOut is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LockOut is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LockOut is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LockOut is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LockOut is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LockOut is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LockOut is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LockOut is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LockOut is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    LockOut is offline
    well Arginine has been studied for many years, very exstensively. Yes it has been studied with very favorable results on excercise performance. so I think like most things there is conflicting studies...as always the proof is in the results.
    "Freedom isn't free" How quickly we forget.
    Reply With Quote

  17. #17
    Registered User ksamurai's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2006
    Age: 35
    Posts: 245
    BodyPoints: 1898
    Rep Power: 14
    ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Visit ksamurai's BodySpace
    ksamurai is offline
    Originally Posted by LockOut View Post
    well Arginine has been studied for many years, very exstensively. Yes it has been studied with very favorable results on excercise performance. so I think like most things there is conflicting studies...as always the proof is in the results.
    uhhhh, I think you already said that, to which I replied..... http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...3&postcount=15
    Reply With Quote

  18. #18
    Registered User bcantor's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2006
    Age: 26
    Stats: 5'9", 200 lbs
    Posts: 326
    BodyPoints: 2298
    Rep Power: 63
    bcantor has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bcantor has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bcantor has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bcantor has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bcantor has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bcantor has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bcantor has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bcantor has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bcantor has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bcantor has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bcantor has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Visit bcantor's BodySpace
    bcantor is offline
    Even if this is true, and enough holes were poked to doubt its validity, what does it matter?

    Your argument assumes that growth hormone is the ONLY factor responsible for strength and size increases in the gym. That's where you're obviously missing the boat.

    While one would obviously prefer to have more GH production, if he's seeing more gains with arginine than without it, your argument is rendered moot. From all indications, the increased NO production, which leads to better blood flow, better pumps, more nutrient delivery and (I believe) more endurance, is helpful for making gains in the gym.

    Since people generally conclude that working out with arginine is more effective than working out without it, you can safely assume that those other properties of arginine are more important than the difference in GH production.
    Reply With Quote

  19. #19
    Back As Troll Killer IntensityX's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2002
    Posts: 17,723
    BodyPoints: 33518
    Rep Power: 11981
    IntensityX has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) IntensityX has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) IntensityX has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) IntensityX has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) IntensityX has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) IntensityX has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) IntensityX has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) IntensityX has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) IntensityX has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) IntensityX has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) IntensityX has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit IntensityX's BodySpace
    IntensityX is offline
    Originally Posted by ksamurai View Post
    I know a lot of people (including myself) like to take Arginine 'pre'-workout for the pumps, but it appears pre-workout oral Arginine may be counterproductive, as it may actually reduce the GH (growth hormone) response to exercise... some are suggesting that it should only be taken on off days or 'post'-workout...

    (see "Oral arginine attenuates the growth hormone response to resistance exercise" - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1655191)

    However, I haven't found this discussed in the context of a full pre-WO supplement stack. I suspect that studying the performance of a pre-workout stack such as Creatine-Mono/Arginine/BCAA as a whole may be different than looking at the effects or Arg alone (since Arg is a Creatine precursor, etc.)

    Should we not be taking Arginine pre-workout... should we not take it at all??? Can anyone provide any further technical insight? Scientific references? (no product info or sales pitches please).

    Thanks...
    Show me more studies on this then your argument can be validated otherwise one study with 8 people isn't credible and is considered inconclusive.
    "The road to salvation is through Christ"

    Luke 1:74
    to rescue us from the hand of our enemies, and to enable us to serve him without fear

    ^Love is the power of the righteousness life that overcomes the fear that leads to sin, and the life in which God is pleased.
    Reply With Quote

  20. #20
    nevigsawkufelgnisaton in10city's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2005
    Location: New York, United States
    Posts: 24,703
    BodyPoints: 7900
    Rep Power: 33878
    in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit in10city's BodySpace
    in10city is offline
    Originally Posted by IntensityX View Post
    Show me more studies on this then your argument can be validated otherwise one study with 8 people isn't credible and is considered inconclusive.
    Another one...

    Oral arginine does not stimulate basal or augment exercise-induced GH secretion in either young or old adults.
    BACKGROUND: Growth hormone (GH) helps maintain body composition and metabolism in adults. However, basal and peak GH decline with age. Exercise produces a physiologic GH response that is subnormal in elderly people. Arginine (Arg) infusion can augment GH secretion, but the efficacy of oral Arg to improve GH response to exercise has not been explored. We investigated whether oral Arg increases GH secretion in young and old people at rest and during exercise. METHODS: Twenty young (Y: 22.1 +/- 0.9 y; SEM) and 8 old (O: 68.5 +/- 2.1 y) male and female subjects underwent three different trials following determination of their one-repetition maximum strength (1-RM); exercise only (EO; 3 sets, 8-10 reps at 85% of 1-RM; on 12 separate resistive lifts), Arg only (5.0 g), or Arg + exercise. Blood samples were collected between successive lifts, and GH (ng x ml(-1)) was determined via RIA. RESULTS: In Y vs O: Basal GH secreted (area under the curve) was 543.6 +/- 84.0 vs 211.5 +/- 63.0. During EO, values were 986.6 +/- 156.6 and 517.8 +/- 85.5. Both were significantly lower in the older individuals (p < .05). Oral Arg alone did not result in any increase in GH secretion at rest (310.8 +/- 73.2 vs 262.9 +/- 141.2). When Arg was coadministered during exercise, GH release was not affected in either the young or old and appeared to be blunted in the young compared to the exercise only trial in the young. CONCLUSION: Based upon these findings, we concluded that oral Arg does not stimulate GH secretion and may impair GH release during resistive exercise.
    Last edited by in10city; 08-09-2007 at 01:28 AM.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Reply With Quote

  21. #21
    Registered User default8's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2007
    Location: Australia
    Age: 28
    Stats: 163 lbs
    Posts: 16
    BodyPoints: 1869
    Rep Power: 0
    default8 is a complete loser! (-2000) default8 is a complete loser! (-2000) default8 is a complete loser! (-2000) default8 is a complete loser! (-2000) default8 is a complete loser! (-2000) default8 is a complete loser! (-2000) default8 is a complete loser! (-2000) default8 is a complete loser! (-2000) default8 is a complete loser! (-2000) default8 is a complete loser! (-2000) default8 is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Visit default8's BodySpace
    default8 is offline

    pfft

    There is only 28 participants so with three groups there is only 9 or 10 per group which is a pretty small size and you would need large differences in the results between groups to draw any conclusion. They dont even give the results from the exercise + arg group and dont give any statistical comparison between exercise + arg and exercise only. read the conclusion

    CONCLUSION: Based upon these findings, we concluded that oral Arg does not stimulate GH secretion and may impair GH release during resistive exercise.
    "may impair GH" I wouldn't think much about it till more research confirms this and there is more to arginine the its effect on GH.
    Reply With Quote

  22. #22
    nevigsawkufelgnisaton in10city's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2005
    Location: New York, United States
    Posts: 24,703
    BodyPoints: 7900
    Rep Power: 33878
    in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) in10city has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit in10city's BodySpace
    in10city is offline
    Originally Posted by default8 View Post
    There is only 28 participants so with three groups there is only 9 or 10 per group which is a pretty small size and you would need large differences in the results between groups to draw any conclusion. They dont even give the results from the exercise + arg group and dont give any statistical comparison between exercise + arg and exercise only. read the conclusion



    "may impair GH" I wouldn't think much about it till more research confirms this and there is more to arginine the its effect on GH.
    I guess putting a little elbow grease into workouts gets the shaft in favor of hopes that OTC supplements will do the work instead.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Reply With Quote

  23. #23
    Registered User ksamurai's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2006
    Age: 35
    Posts: 245
    BodyPoints: 1898
    Rep Power: 14
    ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Visit ksamurai's BodySpace
    ksamurai is offline
    Originally Posted by IntensityX View Post
    Show me more studies on this then your argument can be validated otherwise one study with 8 people isn't credible and is considered inconclusive.
    If you had read through the original link you would have seen that multiple studies from different universities have been published that come to this conclusion.

    "The combined effect of arginine before exercise attenuates (reduces) the GH response."

    "Based upon these findings, we concluded that oral Arg does not stimulate GH secretion and may impair GH release during resistive exercise."

    Originally Posted by bcantor View Post
    ...Your argument assumes that growth hormone is the ONLY factor responsible for strength and size increases in the gym...
    Well it's not 'my' argument, but you do make a fair point. Can you provide links to any research that shows greater increases in strength and size from 'exercise + Arg' than from 'exercise alone'?

    Originally Posted by bcantor View Post
    ...if he's seeing more gains with arginine than without it, your argument is rendered moot. From all indications, the increased NO production, which leads to better blood flow, better pumps, more nutrient delivery and (I believe) more endurance, is helpful for making gains in the gym.

    Since people generally conclude that working out with arginine is more effective than working out without it, you can safely assume that those other properties of arginine are more important than the difference in GH production.
    You are quick to write off the clinical research as invalid, but you're making a awful lot of assumptions to support your beliefs here.

    I welcome you to negate these findings, but please support your argument with published research.
    Last edited by ksamurai; 08-09-2007 at 06:54 AM.
    Reply With Quote

  24. #24
    LTG. GROWTEIN J2jud's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2005
    Age: 27
    Stats: 6'2", 248 lbs
    Posts: 5,214
    BodyPoints: 14610
    Rep Power: 6100
    J2jud has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) J2jud has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) J2jud has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) J2jud has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) J2jud has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) J2jud has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) J2jud has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) J2jud has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) J2jud has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) J2jud has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) J2jud has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit J2jud's BodySpace
    J2jud is offline
    If you are worried about Arginine pre-workout, combine it with some Ornithine. When you combine both amino Acids they have a positive effect on your body's GH release.
    <=><=>[]MFF[]<=><=>
    *Jud's Comprehensive Pro-Hormone User Guide*
    - 107087011
    Reply With Quote

  25. #25
    Registered User BTM's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2004
    Location: BOSTON
    Stats: 5'9", 180 lbs
    Posts: 315
    BodyPoints: 4093
    Rep Power: 13
    BTM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BTM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BTM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BTM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BTM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BTM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BTM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BTM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BTM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BTM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BTM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Visit BTM's BodySpace
    BTM is offline
    im gonna go with the old "everyones body is different and responds differently to supplements" rant


    theres my oppinion









    BEAT THAT!
    GET DOMS TODAY
    Reply With Quote

  26. #26
    Registered User ksamurai's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2006
    Age: 35
    Posts: 245
    BodyPoints: 1898
    Rep Power: 14
    ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Visit ksamurai's BodySpace
    ksamurai is offline
    Originally Posted by J2jud View Post
    If you are worried about Arginine pre-workout, combine it with some Ornithine. When you combine both amino Acids they have a positive effect on your body's GH release.
    Have any links?
    Reply With Quote

  27. #27
    Registered User ksamurai's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2006
    Age: 35
    Posts: 245
    BodyPoints: 1898
    Rep Power: 14
    ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000) ksamurai is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Visit ksamurai's BodySpace
    ksamurai is offline
    Reply With Quote

  28. #28
    Registered User bcantor's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2006
    Age: 26
    Stats: 5'9", 200 lbs
    Posts: 326
    BodyPoints: 2298
    Rep Power: 63
    bcantor has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bcantor has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bcantor has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bcantor has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bcantor has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bcantor has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bcantor has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bcantor has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bcantor has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bcantor has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bcantor has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Visit bcantor's BodySpace
    bcantor is offline
    In asking for counter research from me, you're completely miscategorizing both your argument AND my argument.

    By no means am I disputing that arginine might hinder growth hormone production; I'm merely questioning whether that fact means you'll make less gains in the gym.

    That's what you're arguing - that, despite all the other benefits of arginine, the fact that you'll produce less GH during the workout means it's detrimental to take it. You're wrong to make that assumption.

    My point is that even if you're right, who cares? Growth Hormone production is not the sole factor determining how much size you gain in the gym.
    Reply With Quote

  29. #29
    it's a good addiction Muscle-T-17yrs's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2004
    Location: UNDER, LAND DOWN, Australia
    Age: 27
    Stats: 5'7", 180 lbs
    Posts: 546
    BodyPoints: 5040
    Rep Power: 12
    Muscle-T-17yrs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Muscle-T-17yrs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Muscle-T-17yrs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Muscle-T-17yrs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Muscle-T-17yrs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Muscle-T-17yrs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Muscle-T-17yrs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Muscle-T-17yrs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Muscle-T-17yrs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Muscle-T-17yrs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Muscle-T-17yrs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Visit Muscle-T-17yrs's BodySpace
    Muscle-T-17yrs is offline
    Originally Posted by bcantor View Post
    In asking for counter research from me, you're completely miscategorizing both your argument AND my argument.

    By no means am I disputing that arginine might hinder growth hormone production; I'm merely questioning whether that fact means you'll make less gains in the gym.

    That's what you're arguing - that, despite all the other benefits of arginine, the fact that you'll produce less GH during the workout means it's detrimental to take it. You're wrong to make that assumption.

    My point is that even if you're right, who cares? Growth Hormone production is not the sole factor determining how much size you gain in the gym.
    agreed with Bcantor
    "Your food should be your medicine and your medicine should be your food"

    "Training is nothing, WILL is everything"

    "a religious person says, "i don't know." and is content to place god in that gap of knowledge. a scientist says, "i don't know." and then seeks out the answer."

    GOALS: To get my...

    Forearms: 35cm (14inch)
    Biceps/Tricep: 45cm (17.5 inch)
    Calves: 47cm (18inch)

    APRIL 9TH 2009 - THE SHOW DOWN !!
    Reply With Quote

  30. #30
    Registered User ahalliday69's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2008
    Location: Northern Ireland, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Age: 27
    Stats: 5'10", 175 lbs
    Posts: 71
    Rep Power: 7
    ahalliday69 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit ahalliday69's BodySpace
    ahalliday69 is offline
    i have a supp guide which came in an issue of flex. the product in question, arginine,is listed in the preworkout section of the book. it states ,
    "these products not only provide fule for starving muscles during workouts, but they give a skin stretching pump with each set."

    the mag then rates the product as 5 out of 5 for effectivness stating,
    "it enhances nitric oxide (NO) production. this crucial compound helps improve blood flow to exercising muscles and therefore the delivery of nutrients, hormones and oxygen, which can help body-builders in their training and recovery. in clinical studies,arginine has also been found to SIGNIFICANTLY RAISE GH levels at dose of 5-10grames."

    dose 3-10grams of arginine or NO products 3times per day,one dose 30-60mins preworkout, and one dose 30-60mins before bed.
    !!One More Rep!!

    !!Aint nothing to it, but to do it!!

    !!Light Weight Buddy!!
    Reply With Quote

Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Home Store Products Careers Help Contact Us Terms of Use Checkout