tjmc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Help with body shape. *PICS*

Hello,

I am just wondering if someone can help me out with a workout plan to get my body into shape, id like to get a nice body going like a 6 pack and some nice pecs. My legs are in ok shape due to playing football in my younger days but they could be better.

Can someone give me an idea on a workout plan i should be taking? (am willing to go to gym 5days/week (weekday mornings) although i used to only go 3 days/week.

I currently eat well and i am always making sure i am not taking in too much fat, like not eating maccas everyday. Usually have good meals that are healthy.

I have attached pics to give some idea on my body now.

I currently weigh 75kg's.

Should i be loosing some fat by going on a strict diet or just workout heaps?

Should i get some sort of protein supplement?

I have Body ripped thermagen liquid, but are not using it at the moment.

any heaps would be great.

Thanks
    Attached Images

PetaPeta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PetaPeta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PetaPeta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PetaPeta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PetaPeta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PetaPeta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

umm well my suggestion is do a lot of cadio..lets start with 20min per week..then go by 10min everyin week until u reach 60min..umm for supplements..well u dont need to get mass..well I dont think u do..so no creatine..ummmaybe a protein shake..whey protein should do to trick..(postworkout)...other than that...just do more reps than weight...

good luck
    Bench press
    -sep 2004:45lbs
    -Oct 2004: 65lbs
    -Nov 2004: 95lbs
    -Dec 2004: 115lbs
    -Jan 2005: 125lbs~135lbs

126-127lbs
    5'6
    trying to Bulk...taking a lot of time
    goal : get to 150lbs before summer

PetaPeta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PetaPeta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PetaPeta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PetaPeta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PetaPeta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PetaPeta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    btw whats ur bodyfat..?
    Bench press

126-127lbs
    5'6

I dont know what my bf as, how can i measure it?

Do you have any ideas on what sort of machines and workouts i should be doing? and what days?

SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by PetaPeta
    umm well my suggestion is do a lot of cadio..lets start with 20min per week..then go by 10min everyin week until u reach 60min..umm for supplements..well u dont need to get mass..well I dont think u do..so no creatine..ummmaybe a protein shake..whey protein should do to trick..(postworkout)...other than that...just do more reps than weight...

good luck

uh, no... you definately need some mass.

check out the stickys for a good split.

the white, Black Prince White Prince's Avatar
    White Prince is on a distinguished road. (+10) White Prince is on a distinguished road. (+10) White Prince is on a distinguished road. (+10) White Prince is on a distinguished road. (+10) White Prince is on a distinguished road. (+10) White Prince is on a distinguished road. (+10) White Prince is on a distinguished road. (+10) White Prince is on a distinguished road. (+10) White Prince is on a distinguished road. (+10) White Prince is on a distinguished road. (+10) White Prince is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by PetaPeta
    ...just do more reps than weight...

good luck
    I don't know if this is suppose to be a joke or something, but if it is, it's
    not very funny.

My advice to you would be to try and put on mass. If you want to loose weight try eating 6 or 7 small meals a day. Do some research on nutrition, there's plenty of articles on this site. Also, it is important to drink lots of water, a galon a day or more. Eat clean and at the same time give your
    body all the food it needs to grow. If you are strict with your diet and if
    your workouts are intense in the gym, **** the cardio for now. You will burn calories in the gym and it will speed up your metabolism for a couple days. But if you want to do cardio, keep it to a minimal.

If someone would like to suggest a better split, please feel free. I don't consider myself very knowledgeable in this area but this is what is working
    for me right now. I noticed yous aid that you would be training weekdays.
    It would probably be best if you could take one weekday off to heal and go
    one day on the weekend. Five days in a row might be too much. That being said, make sure you lift heavy every day you are in the gym and results
    will show as long as you are consistant. Don't ever sacrifice proper form to
    lift heavy weights. This is very important when trying to acheive maximum
    gains. Also, I know you said you want to be fit and your going for chest
    and abs. However, those things don't develop fully without other muscles
    to complement them. And don't worry, you're not going to become a
    monster overnight, although we all wish it were like that. If you become
    satisfied with your gains and you want to stay at that size, then it's time
    to maintain and do your fine tuning with cardio and all that fun ****. Other
    than that, good luck!

Day 1 - Biceps & Triceps
    Day 2 - Quads & Calves
    Day 3 - Off (or 15 min. cardio & abs)
    Day 4 - Back & Hamstrings
    Day 5 - Chest & Forearms
    Day 6 - Shoulders & Traps
    Day 7 - Off (or 15 min. cardio & abs)
    Lightweight

Ok, i noticed you have put in no ab work, like situps?

Is there a reason for this? But you have put in cardio or abs for the day off but not nessesary?

Also can anyone recommend anytypes of excersises for these body parts?

I really just need a program that i can stick to for awhile and see some results.

Would someone be kind enough to do a program up for me?

Thanks
    T
    Last edited by tjmc; 02-02-2005 at 07:38 PM.

ahh sorry wrong advices...just tried to help...but he said he wanted abs...for abs u need a lot of cadio too no?
    Bench press

126-127lbs
    5'6

xcom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xcom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xcom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xcom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xcom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xcom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xcom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xcom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xcom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xcom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xcom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    are you working out at home or do you go to a gym? if you work out at home what do you have available? gives us some more info

Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Smile

You don't need to be in the gym 5 days a week to see phenomenal progress when it comes to muscle growth. Muscles grow outside the gym, all you do in the gym is stimulate that growth. If you go to the gym too often, you'll be using all your energy to work out and not leaving enough to grow with. Your body needs time to repair itself, then time to pack on the new muscle. This takes a while, regardless of how good your nutrition is. Stimulate growth as quickly as possible, so you leave as much of you energy left to grow with.

For the fastest results at this point, stay out of the gym more than in it. Try the popluar push/legs/pull on monday wednesday and friday. I put the legs on wednesday to keep the upper-body days furthest appart. You don't need tones of sets to stimulate muscle growth.

Mon - Push
    Chest - heavy compound for 2-3 work sets (eg: Bench Press)
    Shoulders - " " (eg: Military Press)
    Triceps - " " (eg: Tricep Dips)

Wed - Legs
    Quads - heavy compound for 2-3 work sets (eg: Squats)
    Hams - You'll get plenty of stimulation from the squats. If you want to do stiff-legged dead lifts, you can.
    Calves - Standing calf raise for 2-3 work sets.
    Abs - Weighted crunches or sit ups for 2-3 work sets. (Your abs are simple skeletal muscle like the rest of your body. Train them the same. Doing marathon sets of 100 will not spot reduce fat either.)

Fri - Pull
    Back - Heavy compound for 2-3 work sets (eg: Pulldowns or Rows)
    Biceps - Straight Barbell Curl for 2-3 work sets.
    You could do a regular dead lift here if you wanted to, or a barbell shrug. Do the deadlift first though, if you decide to do it. A shrug, try it second if you decide to do that one.

You could also split this into a Torso/Legs/Shoulder-Arms split as well. This would maybe work better, given the overlap in the above workout. I've used this routine myself and had ridiculous results immediately for about 3 months. I did only one work set, however, and had two days in between workouts, training every muscle once every 9 days instead of 7.
    By work sets I mean one rep shy of failure, ie: completing another rep in good form would be impossible. Do your reps in a controlled fashion, don't just lift it as fast as possible and let it fall back down. Controlling the negative (lowering) is just as important. (I usually do a good 3 count on the negative, and as much as a 5 count on exercises with a large range of motion, as an example.) When you can do ten reps, increase the weight slightly. Concentrate on strength gains, and the muscle size will come.

This is for muscle gain only. The muscle you gain will speed up your metabolism, which is essential if you want to loose fat. For fat loss, you'll have to construct a decent diet plan that you can adhere to. That said, it's difficult to both gain muscle and loose fat at the same time. You're a beginner though, your muscles have never been stimulated like this before, so if anyone can do it, it's you!

Good luck, whether you try this or not.
    Dirk

Dirk, thanks heaps for that info, was great.

If its ok i will post again in a few hours time (after work) with a program that i think i might do. and get some suggestions?

xcom, i am going to a gym.

Thanks.
    T

Sorry for posting yet again.

So if i just do a good workout say 3 times/week. and watch what i eat, i dont really need to lose any fat from around my gut? will that come off with the gym work that i do?

I dont want to start working out and get a big beer gut (like im pregnant haha).

Thanks

Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    T,
    Ha ha ha, I didn't know workouts can = beer guts. Maybe drinking beer can = big muscles. I've given it a shot before, maybe I'll try it again.

If you're a beginner, the fat may come off quite easily if you just add some muscle mass, which will speed up your metabolism. If, after a while, you see that fat is not coming off, and that's your number one priority over muscle gain, then you'll have to go into a negative caloric balance and keep your protien intake relatively high. People think they can 'bulk' and do cardio and that'll keep the fat off. It just ends up cancelling each other out and they get the worst of both worlds. (A negative caloric balance is where you burn more calories a day than you take in. There are ways of figuring this out with formulas you can find on-line. Do a search under "Basal Metabolic Rate" and find a formula. You'll need to know your bodyfat percentage, which you can have tested at your gym probably.)

If you do decide to go into a negative caloric balance, keep your weight training geared towards muscle gain, that's what weights are for. It won't be necessary to do any more weight exercise or sets, the weights are there to stimulate muscle growth, not shed fat. This routine will possibly still put some muscle on your frame while dieting, or at least prevent as much muscle loss as possible. If you find that you're loosing strength while dieting, then you're loosing muscle mass as well. If that happens, it's probably the case that, given your negative caloric balance, your body can't recover quickly enough and you need more time to recover an pack on the muscle. Cut your workouts down some, maybe doing only one work set per excercise, and/or adding another day's rest, and/or eliminating some exercises like the direct arm work and rearanging the routine into 2 days done on Monday and Thursday for example. Heavy presses and pulldowns are normally enough stimulation for the arm muscles at this stage of the game.

As far as cardio goes, I don't like it much. I figure, it takes me 10 minutes to burn 100 calories on a treadmill, but only one granola bar to put that many calories back into me. I find it boring as well. That said, some guys swear by it and love it, and you might too. If you ever decided to run for 15 minutes or so on your workout days, do it after you lift, never before.

And one other thing. If you do stomach crunches or sit ups on the floor, and can do more than 20, just hold a weight plate or dumbell on your upper chest to increase the resistance.

OK, good luck T, and let me know what you decide to do.
    Dirk

Dirk, thanks heaps

Here is what i have come up with.

I dont think there is enough exercises for each day? I only have 3 for mon and wed, and only 2 for friday? Can someone add any more body parts/exercises that i could do? Maybe do 4 exercises/day?

Mon - Push
    Chest - Bench press
    Shoulders - Shoulder press
    Triceps - Tri pulldowns

Wed - Legs & abs
    Quads - Leg press
    Calves - Standing calf raises
    Abs - Crunches or situps?

Fri - Pull
    Back - Seated row
    Biceps - Barbell curl or dumbell curls?

Thanks
    T

Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by SDFlipStyle
    uh, no... you definately need some mass.

check out the stickys for a good split.
    bump totally argee. hit the weights

tetsuo, will do.

Can anyone make any additions to me workout plan, i think it needs work?

Thanks
    T

Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by tjmc

Mon - Push
    Chest - Bench press, Db press
    Shoulders - Shoulder press, Side laterals
    Triceps - Close grip bench, Dips

Wed - Legs & abs
    Quads - front squats, sldl
    Abs - Crunches or just do nothing

Fri - Pull
    Back - pull ups,chins, bb rows
    Biceps - Barbell curl, hammers
    ok i made a few changes

T,

More exercises and sets doesn't necessarly translate into better results. It's simply not necessary and can actually be a waste of time. It's never failed to be a waste of time and energy for me anyway. Your workout may not look like much compared to what others do, but 9 times out of 10 those people do far too much exercise anyway, which slows their progress.

Your original plan looks perfect, but I would add a regular dead lift to the Friday workout. That's it, other than that, it doesn't need any work at this point. It's a tough exercise to do, but well worth learning. Doing additional exercises will keep you in the gym longer, but it's not necessary to get great results at this point. Doing three exercises for back isn't necessary and can actually hinder progress for some. One hard properly done exercise will suffice. Your original workout shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes from the moment you step into the weight room until the moment you leave. A lifting session doesn't need to be longer than that. I haven't had a weight workout over 20 minutes in quite a while. Just put in the effort while your there. After putting in the required hard effort into your workout, you should leave the gym wanting more. Just because you can physically handle more, doesn't mean it's useful or beneficial to do it.

That's my advice anyway.
    Let us know what you finalize, and good luck,
    Dirk

UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by tjmc
    Dirk, thanks heaps

Here is what i have come up with.

I dont think there is enough exercises for each day? I only have 3 for mon and wed, and only 2 for friday? Can someone add any more body parts/exercises that i could do? Maybe do 4 exercises/day?

Mon - Push
    Chest - Bench press
    Shoulders - Shoulder press
    Triceps - Tri pulldowns

Wed - Legs & abs
    Quads - Leg press
    Abs - Crunches or situps?

Fri - Pull
    Back - Seated row
    Biceps - Barbell curl or dumbell curls?

Thanks
    T
    You're not doing deadlifts - you should be. You're also not squating - you should be. I'd do pull/push/legs instead of push/legs/pull, as you don't want your leg day and your pull day to be too close together, else your lower back won't recover. I'd recommend something more like this:

Mon - pull
    deadlift 5x5
    row or pullup/pulldown 3x6-10
    curl 3x6-10

Tue
    cardio
    abs
    grip
    calves

Wed - push
    bench press 5x5 (alternate flat and incline week-to-week)
    shoulder press 3x6-10
    some tricep exercise 3x6-10

Thu
    cardio
    abs
    grip
    calves

Fri - legs
    squat 5x5
    front squat 3x6-10
    sldl 3x6-10

Mastersfinesse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    do some cardio to show the abs, bench for the chest, squat for the legs, bent-ober rows for the back and a hell of alot of situps i reccomend a couple hundred a day or just use weighted ones people that say 2 sets of 20 situps dont have good abs..

UhhWhatever, that looks good also.

What do you mean by grip?

mrk_bb is on a distinguished road. (+10) mrk_bb is on a distinguished road. (+10) mrk_bb is on a distinguished road. (+10) mrk_bb is on a distinguished road. (+10) mrk_bb is on a distinguished road. (+10) mrk_bb is on a distinguished road. (+10) mrk_bb is on a distinguished road. (+10) mrk_bb is on a distinguished road. (+10) mrk_bb is on a distinguished road. (+10) mrk_bb is on a distinguished road. (+10) mrk_bb is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Grip- like do some excercises to work your grip and make it (Edit stronger not stranger )stranger u can do
    Static hold-just grabs some heavy ass db's or a bb and hold for as long as u can
    or
    farmer walks-same thing but u walk around with the weight
    plate pinches-get two plates smooth side out and grip them together between thumb and fingers.

Hey,

I just did my first workout (Mon).

I did...

(3 sets each)
    Seated row
    Uprightrow
    Bicep Curls
    Reverse Curls
    Unilateral Latpulldowns (this type of machine http://www.calgym.com.au/products/pa.../04latmchn.htm)

After this mornings workout i felt good, i actually left feeling as though i could have done more weight, although this is my first time in some time. Im sure i will kic arse next mon

My next session will be on Wed This will be my puch day.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

dre315 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dre315 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dre315 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Read stickies and other topics around here. Also read that site, Bodybuilding.com. Gave me alot of info.

Yeah i did that, and that how i got the workout plan, i was just asking to see if thats a good first workout.