Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    killyourswitch has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

300 spartan training and diet?

I've been reading the gym jones site and stuff on 300, and it really contradicts with traditional bodybuilding. They train hard as hell(and by that i don't mean 6 reps of heavy weight), their diets weren't anything close to bulking diets. It makes sense too, that lots of hard work beats a little heavy lifting and alot of resting and eating.

I've been skeptical about traditional bodybuilding for a long time...Soccer players have huge calves and they didn't get them by lifting heavy weights and eating tons. Swimmers often have great physiques, and swimming is "just cardio" in the world of bodybuilding and isn't supposed to build muscle. Now the 300 training comes along, and these guys look like real warriors. I'm sure plenty of people on this site want to look like them. Except the few who actually want to look like pro bodybuilders. And they got there ALOT faster than "bodybuilders" who have similar physiques. So maybe the traditional approach is not what i should be doing?

Thoughts on this? Also does anyone know where i can find more exact details on the 300 diet and training?

edit: http://www.gymjones.com/knowledge.php that's the gym jones site, it contains articles on 300 and other stuff
    Last edited by killyourswitch; 08-07-2007 at 10:50 AM.

gettingbig07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gettingbig07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gettingbig07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gettingbig07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gettingbig07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gettingbig07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gettingbig07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gettingbig07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gettingbig07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gettingbig07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gettingbig07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    interesting stuff man! link 2 that site?
    Bodybuilding is much like any other sport. To be successful, you must dedicate yourself 100% to your training, diet and mental approach.
    -Arnold Schwarzenegger

B-ryminD09 is a complete loser! (-2000) B-ryminD09 is a complete loser! (-2000) B-ryminD09 is a complete loser! (-2000) B-ryminD09 is a complete loser! (-2000) B-ryminD09 is a complete loser! (-2000) B-ryminD09 is a complete loser! (-2000) B-ryminD09 is a complete loser! (-2000) B-ryminD09 is a complete loser! (-2000) B-ryminD09 is a complete loser! (-2000) B-ryminD09 is a complete loser! (-2000) B-ryminD09 is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Originally Posted by killyourswitch View Post
    I've been reading the gym jones site and stuff on 300, and it really contradicts with traditional bodybuilding. They train hard as hell(and by that i don't mean 6 reps of heavy weight), their diets weren't anything close to bulking diets. It makes sense too, that lots of hard work beats a little heavy lifting and alot of resting and eating.

I've been skeptical about traditional bodybuilding for a long time...Soccer players have huge calves and they didn't get them by lifting heavy weights and eating tons. Swimmers often have great physiques, and swimming is "just cardio" in the world of bodybuilding and isn't supposed to build muscle. Now the 300 training comes along, and these guys look like real warriors. I'm sure plenty of people on this site want to look like them. Except the few who actually want to look like pro bodybuilders. And they got there ALOT faster than "bodybuilders" who have similar physiques. So maybe the traditional approach is not what i should be doing?

Thoughts on this? Also does anyone know where i can find more exact details on the 300 diet and training?
    yea i agree with you. that is more the physique i want, not some mass monster. I just want to live a healthy life style and be in shape.

patshea098 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) patshea098 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) patshea098 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) patshea098 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) patshea098 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) patshea098 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) patshea098 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) patshea098 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) patshea098 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) patshea098 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) patshea098 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    very well thought out statement

im with you on this, i never really thought about it the way you just stated it.

if you find out any information on their diet, and workout, or workouts i should say since they never did the same thing twice, let us know.
    Age 24
    Weight 207 lbs.
    Height 5'11"
    Bench 405lbs
    Squat 365 X 5
    Deadlift 485

Registered User BiggerIsBetter7's Avatar
    BiggerIsBetter7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BiggerIsBetter7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

well you see the thing about athletes is that they are train with weights too.
    im a football player but that doesn't mean im buff cause of football practice, im buff because i lift a lot of weight. and as for getting big faster its another story. you gotta work hard man likeHARD. i bet you think you work hard now but if you had a trainer pushing you nonstop i bet you would work harder. and really more work equals more gains. i dont believe in overtraining.

initialize is just really nice. (+1000) initialize is just really nice. (+1000) initialize is just really nice. (+1000) initialize is just really nice. (+1000) initialize is just really nice. (+1000) initialize is just really nice. (+1000) initialize is just really nice. (+1000) initialize is just really nice. (+1000) initialize is just really nice. (+1000) initialize is just really nice. (+1000) initialize is just really nice. (+1000)

Funny, I was wondering the exact same thing. Gerard Butler (King Leonidas) said that he never worked out and ate healthy before the film. He also said that he got rid of fat while also putting on muscle... I don't get it.

gettingbig07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gettingbig07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gettingbig07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gettingbig07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gettingbig07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gettingbig07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gettingbig07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gettingbig07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gettingbig07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gettingbig07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gettingbig07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by initialize View Post
    Funny, I was wondering the exact same thing. Gerard Butler (King Leonidas) said that he never worked out and ate healthy before the film. He also said that he got rid of fat while also putting on muscle... I don't get it.
    did you read that article in mens health awile ago about gerard butler?
    Bodybuilding is much like any other sport. To be successful, you must dedicate yourself 100% to your training, diet and mental approach.
    -Arnold Schwarzenegger

patshea098 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) patshea098 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) patshea098 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) patshea098 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) patshea098 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) patshea098 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) patshea098 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) patshea098 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) patshea098 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) patshea098 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) patshea098 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    it is possible to put muscle on and lose fat, just not at higher rates.

the reason they got so ripped was because they did alot of cardio, that was also muscle training. like when you do bungie coards and running, helluva workout for legs if you ever played football or track, but also great for the heart and works your endurance.

and they did upper body training as soon as they finished there cardio, lower body.

which meant all their blood was in their legs, not up top, which forced them to work harder on their muscles.

and this isnt even a dent of how they got to where theya re....id love to know everything.
    Age 24
    Weight 207 lbs.
    Height 5'11"
    Bench 405lbs
    Squat 365 X 5
    Deadlift 485

M12 is just really nice. (+1000) M12 is just really nice. (+1000) M12 is just really nice. (+1000) M12 is just really nice. (+1000) M12 is just really nice. (+1000) M12 is just really nice. (+1000) M12 is just really nice. (+1000) M12 is just really nice. (+1000) M12 is just really nice. (+1000) M12 is just really nice. (+1000) M12 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by initialize View Post
    Gerard Butler didnt workout before during his career.. but he DID workout for the movie.. He clearly stated in an interview that he started preparing a year before the filming began. They did do a lot of cardio to become ripped, but they needed to build muslce mass. NO WAY could they have looked the way they did without building some muscle.

Spo0f has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Spo0f has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Spo0f has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Spo0f has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Spo0f has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Spo0f has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Spo0f has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Spo0f has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Spo0f has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Spo0f has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Spo0f has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    m8 to be honest your not far off, u need to bulk up a bit add some more muscle to ur chest and biceps and you will be lookin look a spartan urself! your abs r in good shape.

Keep up the good work

M12 is just really nice. (+1000) M12 is just really nice. (+1000) M12 is just really nice. (+1000) M12 is just really nice. (+1000) M12 is just really nice. (+1000) M12 is just really nice. (+1000) M12 is just really nice. (+1000) M12 is just really nice. (+1000) M12 is just really nice. (+1000) M12 is just really nice. (+1000) M12 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Swimmers have a very skinny build.. Sure through all the swimming they do, they are bound to put on SOME mass.. but not much at all...

Football players do lift.. Most of them are huge and believe me its not because of football practise.

You have a good build (from what i can see in your avatar) Im suprised your knowledge about these certain things is kinda limited.

Nah i know swimmers aren't HUGE and football players do lift as well, but if someone ONLY lifts he'll probably be smaller AND less cut than a football player who lifts and trains for football.

What i'm saying is lots hard training pays off in losing fat as well as building muscle, and the guys playing the spartans are a clear example of that. Which is why i'm really curious to know their exact training and diet. I just know their diets weren't bulking diets.

By the way i checked out the articles on mens health on gerard butler, and i've seen the 300 rep thing.

25x Pull-up +
    50x Deadlift @ 135# +
    50x Push-up +
    50x Box Jump @ 24? box +
    50x Floor Wiper @ 135# (one-count) +
    50x KB Clean and Press @ 36# (KB must touch floor between reps) +
    25x Pull-up
    300 reps total

That isn't what they did for training though, it was more of a test/goal. On the gym jones site it says their training was different all the time, always changing, 3-5 days a week.

Cheekz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cheekz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cheekz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cheekz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cheekz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cheekz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cheekz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cheekz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cheekz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cheekz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cheekz is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    that workout is insane. i tried it a while back, i had to stop in the middle of box jumps cuz i was about to yak

killyourswitch
    if you dont mind me asking

how did you get your abs to the point they are at now???
    diet? workout??
    Age 24
    Weight 207 lbs.
    Height 5'11"
    Bench 405lbs
    Squat 365 X 5
    Deadlift 485

I worked them out...i've done high rep stuff, low rep stuff(not knowing what's best). Weighted crunches, leg lifts, etc. Then i went on a serious cut(boxing or running every day for cardio, only veggies for carbs with exception of breakfast and around workout). How they look is genetic though, i think. Everyones abs look different.

that workout is insane. i tried it a while back, i had to stop in the middle of box jumps cuz i was about to yak
    Hah that actually makes me want to give it a shot more, i like really intense stuff.

Cheekz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cheekz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cheekz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cheekz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cheekz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cheekz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cheekz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cheekz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cheekz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cheekz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cheekz is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    yeah, its a great workout. after that, i tried this one, from the men's health article. still intense, but not nearly as bad...

15 bodyweight rows
    25 bodyweight squats
    15 pushups
    50 jumping jacks
    20 mountain climbers
    10 close grip pushups
    15 bodyweight rows

150 total reps

weswes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) weswes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) weswes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) weswes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) weswes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) weswes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) weswes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) weswes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) weswes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) weswes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) weswes has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    King Leo is prob 6'2" + also so hes going to have a much larger frame than someone who is 5'6-5'10. Also hes prob like 35 years old man and I would argue that he has played some type of sport or does some type of activty throughout his youth and into his middle agedness. Old men with big frames can sometime be very strong without even having to work out in the gym 4 times a week.

All the other spartans I can guarantee had a substantial amount of muscle from BB at least a year before the filming and even training for the movie.

As far as abs go - abs you can work out very often they are sorta like calves. Combined with intense cardio and lots of core strength exercises and cut dieting your body fat is going to plumment and your abs will show. Since you can work abs pretty much every day if you have to (might not be best - aka overtraining) they are going to get very shreaded.

Also remember, this film was created in a movie studio - I'm not saying that they werent jacked - but - computers can do fantastic things. They edit photos for playboy, cosmo, AF - why not 300? Again, im not saying they werent muscular but I'm sure they did a few touch ups here and there.

I read on gym jones that they ate below their caloric needs to give the look that they were a ragged group of soldiers who lived off the land rather than plump.

Tugboat328 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tugboat328 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tugboat328 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tugboat328 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tugboat328 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tugboat328 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tugboat328 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tugboat328 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tugboat328 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tugboat328 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tugboat328 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by weswes View Post
    King Leo is prob 6'2" + also so hes going to have a much larger frame than someone who is 5'6-5'10. Also hes prob like 35 years old man and I would argue that he has played some type of sport or does some type of activty throughout his youth and into his middle agedness. Old men with big frames can sometime be very strong without even having to work out in the gym 4 times a week.

All the other spartans I can guarantee had a substantial amount of muscle from BB at least a year before the filming and even training for the movie.

As far as abs go - abs you can work out very often they are sorta like calves. Combined with intense cardio and lots of core strength exercises and cut dieting your body fat is going to plumment and your abs will show. Since you can work abs pretty much every day if you have to (might not be best - aka overtraining) they are going to get very shreaded.

Also remember, this film was created in a movie studio - I'm not saying that they werent jacked - but - computers can do fantastic things. They edit photos for playboy, cosmo, AF - why not 300? Again, im not saying they werent muscular but I'm sure they did a few touch ups here and there.

I read on gym jones that they ate below their caloric needs to give the look that they were a ragged group of soldiers who lived off the land rather than plump.
    not true...i saw a program on television that shows before an after....lots of the spartans were chubby and had a large amount of fat....and they too managed great physiques.
    Reppin back

ses1357 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ses1357 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ses1357 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ses1357 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ses1357 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ses1357 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ses1357 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ses1357 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ses1357 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ses1357 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ses1357 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    yea.. Id love to see some sample routines and diets..

But they definitely made muscle gains and cut fat simultaneously, and if they ate below maintenance level(and burned alot through training), that means caloric excess is not necessary to build muscle, no? I remember reading that they did improve their lifts and pack on muscle, and the progress pictures i saw show more than just loss of fat.

initialize is just really nice. (+1000) initialize is just really nice. (+1000) initialize is just really nice. (+1000) initialize is just really nice. (+1000) initialize is just really nice. (+1000) initialize is just really nice. (+1000) initialize is just really nice. (+1000) initialize is just really nice. (+1000) initialize is just really nice. (+1000) initialize is just really nice. (+1000) initialize is just really nice. (+1000)
    I just read that article on 300 from that website you gave us. They said they ate barely enough food for them to recover from their workouts, and all of them usually had a new workout everytime to keep their body's guessing.

weswes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) weswes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) weswes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) weswes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) weswes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) weswes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) weswes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) weswes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) weswes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) weswes has a spectacular aura about. (+250) weswes has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You can still have alot of muscle and be fat. Just burn off some of the fat(doesnt actually happen, muscle cells just shrink) and wham your going to have a more muscular body. Even if you dont actually put on any more muscle as long as you have muscles under your fat and you burn off your fat your going to look more jacked. Your skin will be tighter and your muscles will show through.

Yes, but these guys did alot more than just lose fat. If these guys were all HUGE when coming in, yes, they would all just need to cut for a while. But they weren't all the same when coming in, some were fat while others needed MORE muscle, etc.

BuffMedic will become famous soon enough. (+50) BuffMedic will become famous soon enough. (+50) BuffMedic will become famous soon enough. (+50) BuffMedic will become famous soon enough. (+50) BuffMedic will become famous soon enough. (+50) BuffMedic will become famous soon enough. (+50) BuffMedic will become famous soon enough. (+50) BuffMedic will become famous soon enough. (+50) BuffMedic will become famous soon enough. (+50) BuffMedic will become famous soon enough. (+50) BuffMedic will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It's a matter of a healthy life style and good eating and training.
    Start Everyday As If It Were On Purpose. B.U.F.F.

Slie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Slie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Slie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Slie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Slie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Slie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Slie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Slie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Slie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Slie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Slie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I seem to recall reading somewhere a while back one of these guys added 100 pounds to their dead lift. Went from somewhere around 280 lbs to 380 lbs. Don't remember exactly what it was, or where I read it. But after what I have read, and seeing a few pictures. Some of these guys defiantly looked as if they put on muscle and increased their strength rather than just shaving off body fat to reveal what was already beneath.

James_Byrne is a name known to all. (+5000) James_Byrne is a name known to all. (+5000) James_Byrne is a name known to all. (+5000) James_Byrne is a name known to all. (+5000) James_Byrne is a name known to all. (+5000) James_Byrne is a name known to all. (+5000) James_Byrne is a name known to all. (+5000) James_Byrne is a name known to all. (+5000) James_Byrne is a name known to all. (+5000) James_Byrne is a name known to all. (+5000) James_Byrne is a name known to all. (+5000)

edit: http://www.gymjones.com/knowledge.php that's the gym jones site, it contains articles on 300 and other stuff

I'd like to see a spartan trying to do a 3x deadlift... They look athletic, yes, but not terribly strong.

killermike is just really nice. (+1000) killermike is just really nice. (+1000) killermike is just really nice. (+1000) killermike is just really nice. (+1000) killermike is just really nice. (+1000) killermike is just really nice. (+1000) killermike is just really nice. (+1000) killermike is just really nice. (+1000) killermike is just really nice. (+1000) killermike is just really nice. (+1000) killermike is just really nice. (+1000)
    i remember in one of the videos the guy who created those workouts wasnt even big, cut, or muscular really.
    .___.0_0_0.
    [__l;[_____];
    l__\__L-OllllO-]
    ()_)--()_)--)_)
    JEEP CREW

PumpingSteel is just really nice. (+1000) PumpingSteel is just really nice. (+1000) PumpingSteel is just really nice. (+1000) PumpingSteel is just really nice. (+1000) PumpingSteel is just really nice. (+1000) PumpingSteel is just really nice. (+1000) PumpingSteel is just really nice. (+1000) PumpingSteel is just really nice. (+1000) PumpingSteel is just really nice. (+1000) PumpingSteel is just really nice. (+1000) PumpingSteel is just really nice. (+1000)
    50 deadlifts with 135..
    i can only do 15 NON stop. if stop for 10 second and go again i can go up to 25.

lunksunkunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) lunksunkunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) lunksunkunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) lunksunkunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) lunksunkunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) lunksunkunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) lunksunkunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) lunksunkunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) lunksunkunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) lunksunkunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) lunksunkunk will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    This reminds me of Bruce Lee's training. This guy would wake up at 7:00am, run for almost 8-10 miles. Then do strength training whether it'd be weights, bag, or any other conditioning he does. Then he'd spar, box, and just practice over and over again until literally 12:00pm. He would train 5hours each day, along w/ the movies and teaching that he did. Not to mention the fact that his diet was definitely not that of a BBer's and he would eat traditional Chinese food. Once he studied nutrition he ate more veggies and actually started eating protein shakes/supplements also. It just goes to show that molds were meant to be broken, and certain norms arent always right.

spiv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wink hmmmm....

Along with the training they've done I wouldn't be surprised if there was a little test, tren, winstrol, and some t3 involved. And for those actors over 30 its pretty easy to get a script for test these days. High protien/low fat/ and some carb cycling and there you go!