skinnychick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lifting and spinning

It's my first post, so please be gentle.

Yesterday I lifted the heck out of my legs--heavy weights on squats, lunges, and calf raises. Today, I can barely walk, which is awesome because it lets me know that I really pushed myself yesterday. I'm signed up for a spinning class tonight, but now I'm wondering if I should go. Would I be overtraining my legs?

Spinning really gets my heart rate going, and I enjoy it. I would like to incorporate it into my workout. How many days should I put in between a leg day and a spin class?

Will give head for reps! Dodgeball's Avatar
    Dodgeball has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dodgeball has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Smile

I personally have Saturdays 'off' after my Friday legs session, just rest, maybe go for a little walk and light stretch. If you can have an ice-bath straight after weights as i am a big exponent of this in aiding recovery, then have a full massage the day after. Then you should be fine for light cardio (not HIIT mind) 2 days later.

Don't you just love those DOMS

Dodge

dez182 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dez182 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dez182 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dez182 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dez182 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dez182 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dez182 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dez182 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dez182 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dez182 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dez182 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Do it!

Spinning will actually help to remove some of the lactic acid from you legs (the reason you're sore) and make you feel better....once you get warmed up. I've found that this can help speed recovery.

skinnychick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thanks!

Thank you both for your responses. I went ahead and went to my spin class and it was ok. I just worked through the pain--but I know I'm *really* going to be feeling it tomorrow!

jtsisyoda will become famous soon enough. (+50) jtsisyoda will become famous soon enough. (+50) jtsisyoda will become famous soon enough. (+50) jtsisyoda will become famous soon enough. (+50) jtsisyoda will become famous soon enough. (+50) jtsisyoda will become famous soon enough. (+50) jtsisyoda will become famous soon enough. (+50) jtsisyoda will become famous soon enough. (+50) jtsisyoda will become famous soon enough. (+50) jtsisyoda will become famous soon enough. (+50) jtsisyoda will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I ran into chronic knee problems when I did heavy leg stuff back to back on a regular basis. Having a day off between any days of basketball, leg weights, long runs, or whatever, instantly cured the problems. I was 20 and very fit at the time, so taking that precaution is not a knock on one's ability at all. Walking, stretching, yoga, or other low-intensity or low-impact stuff on an "off" day is good for flushing out the soreness, though.
    Jan 2005
    Bench 150
    Squat 125
    Deadlift 75

May 2005
    Bench 215
    Squat 235
    Deadlift 275

August 2005
    Bench 225
    Deadlift 335

kylieg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kylieg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kylieg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kylieg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kylieg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kylieg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kylieg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kylieg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kylieg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kylieg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kylieg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by dez182 View Post
    Spinning will actually help to remove some of the lactic acid from you legs (the reason you're sore) and make you feel better....once you get warmed up. I've found that this can help speed recovery.
    lactic acid doesn't make you sore! Lactic acid is a byproduct that your body may use as a source of energy. It is the Hydrogen ions that lower? your pH which is in your body that makes you feel fatigue after a workout. The soreness the next day is from tiny muscle fiber tears from a hard lift.