Thread: VO2 max...

dez/null is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dez/null is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dez/null is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dez/null is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dez/null is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dez/null is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dez/null is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dez/null is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dez/null is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dez/null is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dez/null is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

VO2 max...

how do I measure my VO2 max? jean im pretty sure you posted on this can yah help? thanks
    It’s right now. It’s hard, fast, and crisp. I’m not dinking around in there. I’m not a ****ing cream puff. I’m a hammer. I’m a lightning bolt.” (Tom Brands - World & Olympic Champion and Assistant Coach U. of Iowa)

healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Well there are some sites that can do that but I don't know the accuracy of that. On some sites the VO2 max is based on how fast you can do a mile. But if you want to really check your VO2 max then you need to go to a certain place(I don't know where) where they put you on a treadmill and you're wearing this mask thing that measures your oxygen consumption.

Jean Schernoff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    VO2 max. or maximum oxygen uptake, is considered the gold standard of cardiovascular, pulmonary, and muscule cell fitness. It is usually expressed in milliliters of oxygen per kilogram of body weight per minute and is the maximum amount of oxygen your body (basically your muscles) can utilize in a defined period of time. The VO2 max. for an elite cyclist can range from 70 to more than 80 ml/kg/minute, and performance at this level can be sustained for a few minutes at most. It is usually measured on a treadmill or bicycle ergometer at a sports medicine clinic with the appropriate equipment. With training, you will increase your VO2max. as well as the ability to ride for longer periods at any % of your VO2max.

The following criteria indicate you have reached your VO2max:
    VO2 plateau - no further increase in VO2 even with an increase in work rate.
    Heart rate within 10 beats of the age predicted heart rate (this Leads to the concept of using your maximum heart rate as a surrogate for your VO2 max. in training programs).

For those of you interested in the mathematical expression of VO2max., it is the product of the arterial-venous oxygen difference (the oxygen content of blood leaving the heart minus that returning to the heart i.e. extracted by the working skeletal muscles) and the maximal cardiac output (the maximal heart rate times the volume of blood pumped per beat). This is also called the Fick equation.

Originally posted by me
    In order to determine an athlete's true maximal aerobic capacity, exercise conditions must be created that maximally stress the blood delivery capacity of the heart.
    A physical test that meets this requirement must:

Employ at least 50% of the total muscle mass. Activities which meet this requirement include running, cycling, and rowing. The most common laboratory method is the treadmill running test. A motorized treadmill with variable speed and variable incline is employed.
    Be independent of strength, speed, body size, and skill. The exception to this rule is specialized tests for swimmers, rowers, skaters, etc.
    Be of sufficient duration for cardiovascular responses to be maximized. Generally, maximal tests using continuous exercise protocols are completed in 6 to 12 minutes.
    Be performed by someone who is highly motivated! VO2 max tests are very tough, but over quickly!
    Plasma lactate levels in excess of 7 mmol/liter

Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I used to have VO2 max practices on rowing ergometers every week during the season... those are the biggest pain in the ass... it's like doing 90 second sprints 12 times with 30 seconds rest at maximum intensity trying to get as close as possible to your last score... those things are more intense then 30 sets of 20 rep squats... it sucks... I'll have to ask my coach what my VO2 max was last time... he said it was very good, I can't remember the # though... my resting heart rate is like 40 though... it's extremely low...