Adam444 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adam444 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adam444 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adam444 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adam444 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adam444 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adam444 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adam444 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adam444 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adam444 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adam444 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

More than 30 mins of Cardio = Muscle Loss?

Is it after 30 mins of Cardio that your body starts burning muscle. I've been only doing 20 mins to conserve my muscles, seems like working but I would like to lose more weight in a week (max 2 lbs).

So, after 30 mins, Cardio is a no-no?

Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Adam444
    Is it after 30 mins of Cardio that your body starts burning muscle. I've been only doing 20 mins to conserve my muscles, seems like working but I would like to lose more weight in a week (max 2 lbs).

No, that's not true. The body needs at least 30 minutes to have an aerobic conditioning effect and 3 times or more per week for this effect to become an adaptation. This depends on what type of cardio you are doing as well. If your goal is fat loss, 30-45 minutes is recommended.

Once you breach the 45 minute threshold cortisol levels start to increase and muscle tissue can be in jeopardy, depending on your body's current fuel source. Even though fat can be used during low to moderate cardio, carbohydrates are needed to oxidize the fat. When glycogen stores are depleted and exercise continues, cortisol levels rise and find the next easiest fuel source that can be metabolized for energy, proteins.

20 minutes of low to moderate cardio will really do nothing for the body except raise your heart rateand burn calories for the exercise demand. As soon as you stop the exercise, your body will return to resting levels. Keeping the intensity up, 65%-70% of your MHR, for no more than 45 minutes, will insure an increase in your resting metabolic rate.

There is also HIIT that is typically done within a 20 minute period, but not by choice. The intensity in HIIT is so great that 20 minutes is about all anyone can handle. You'll be spent after 20 minutes of HIIT.

Hope that helped.

delta9 is just really nice. (+1000) delta9 is just really nice. (+1000) delta9 is just really nice. (+1000) delta9 is just really nice. (+1000) delta9 is just really nice. (+1000) delta9 is just really nice. (+1000) delta9 is just really nice. (+1000) delta9 is just really nice. (+1000) delta9 is just really nice. (+1000) delta9 is just really nice. (+1000) delta9 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Augustin
    There is also HIIT that is typically done within a 20 minute period, but not by choice. The intensity in HIIT is so great that 20 minutes is about all anyone can handle. You'll be spent after 20 minutes of HIIT.

Hope that helped.
    you can say that again, I'm only at 12 minutes and 24 seconds, I think I can go for another minute or two but if I do I'd throw up.
    Pyramid Paradigm?

http://www.jackherer.com/ Prove Jack Herer wrong and get $100,000.

AnewME has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AnewME has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AnewME has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Augustin
    20 minutes of low to moderate cardio will really do nothing for the body except raise your heart rateand burn calories for the exercise demand. As soon as you stop the exercise, your body will return to resting levels. Keeping the intensity up, 65%-70% of your MHR, for no more than 45 minutes, will insure an increase in your resting metabolic rate.

Hope that helped.
    I thought the only way to increase your resting metabolic rate was to increase your lean muscle mass. I didnt think cardio of the low-mod intensity would do this (increase your lean muscle mass).
    HIIT, from a 'cardio' standpoint is a different story, having both Aerobic and Anaerobic effects. You can increase your metabolic rate.
    Correct???
    Jan 14 -
    Beginning stats: Age- 32, Weight- 260, Height- 5'5"
    The measurements: Chest 54 1/2", Shoulders 61", Bi/Tri 18 1/4", Forearms 14 1/2", Abdomen 50", Thigh 30 1/2", Calves 18 1/2", Neck 20"

Jan 25 - 245 lbs, 31% BF

Feb 02 - 240 lbs
    Chest 54 1/2", Shoulders 61 1/2", Bi/Tri 18 1/4", Forearms 15", Abdomen 48", Thigh 31 1/4", Calves 19", Neck 18 1/2"

Goal: Dec 05' - 180 lbs, 12% BF

Team Scivation Athlete georgiacorn's Avatar
    georgiacorn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) georgiacorn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) georgiacorn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) georgiacorn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) georgiacorn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) georgiacorn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) georgiacorn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) georgiacorn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) georgiacorn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) georgiacorn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) georgiacorn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

YES! only do HIIT cardio

HIIT has been shown to raise metabolic rate for up to 24 hours! so while u do long 45 minute cardio and burn a decent amount of fat, i do 15 minutes of HIIT and over the next 24 hours I burn a higher percentage of fat than you.

HIIT has also been shown to raise levels of Growth Hormone secretion, similar to resistance training.

you decide then, which cardio method is better. just do HIIT 3 times a week or so.
    5'11, 211 lbs, 20%bf

Do you like apples? I got her number, how do you like them apples?

Adam444 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adam444 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adam444 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adam444 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adam444 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adam444 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adam444 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adam444 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adam444 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adam444 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adam444 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thx for the info Augustin... also... can we do cardio 5 times (40 mins) a week? Is it detrimental to the body? Or stick with the traditional 3?

Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thx for the info Augustin... also... can we do cardio 5 times (40 mins) a week? Is it detrimental to the body? Or stick with the traditional 3?
    Remember that all cardio does, besides improving cardiovascular fitness, is burn calories. Performing the appropriate amount of cardio, HIIT or 30-45 minutes of moderate intensity, will increase your resting metabolic rate for the duration of that day. This will equate to more calories being utilized throughout the day for increased energy demands.

If you want to lose body fat you must have a caloric deficit spread throughout the entire day, not just one or two meals. Ideally, you do not want to be more than 500-1,000 calories per day in deficit. A 1-2 pound loss of fat, or 3,500-7,000 calories, per week is healthy and will save proteins from being catabolized for energy. Not 100%, but close.

Burning fat and losing fat are two completely different metabolic processes. Fat loss is what we all strive for. Burn those calories doing cardio, watch your dietary ingestion, have a daily deficit of 500-1,000 calories, and watch the fat melt off. It's really that simple.

Any other questions or comments?

3 times a week will do the job for aerobic adaptation and typically burn 200-300 calories depending on your intensity. This does not include the changes in your resting metabolic rate. 5 times a week will aid in the caloric deficit, so it's really up to you.

I personally do cardio 3 days a week on non-weight training days and then take the weekend off.

It's all about preference.

Can you read my post and give me your thoughts about it? This is my 2nd day, eating like 350-450 grams of carbs, and it will be the last day. I will give my body few days to settle down and see if I start losing weight again.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=396910

I lost weight on Vacation for 3 weeks (2 lbs) and there were days where I ate about 400-500 cals more than my maintance (I didn't read nutrition facts, I just estimated) and I still lost weight. I come back to US, start back up on my healthy habits, clean 6 meals a day, compared to semi-dirty 3 meals a day, hit the gym, do cardio and I can't lose weight.

It doesn't make sense to me... This is my 3rd plateau... and I think I hit plateaus every 15-20 pounds. All I want to do is lose like 10 more pounds and that's it, but my body doesn't like me

Can you read my post and give me your thoughts about it? This is my 2nd day, eating like 350-450 grams of carbs, and it will be the last day. I will give my body few days to settle down and see if I start losing weight again.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=396910

I lost weight on Vacation for 3 weeks (2 lbs) and there were days where I ate about 400-500 cals more than my maintance (I didn't read nutrition facts, I just estimated) and I still lost weight. I come back to US, start back up on my healthy habits, clean 6 meals a day, compared to semi-dirty 3 meals a day, hit the gym, do cardio and I can't lose weight.

It doesn't make sense to me... This is my 3rd plateau... and I think I hit plateaus every 15-20 pounds. All I want to do is lose like 10 more pounds and that's it, but my body doesn't like me
    What are you stats?

Cutting to 8-10% body fat GregElder's Avatar
    GregElder will become famous soon enough. (+50) GregElder will become famous soon enough. (+50) GregElder will become famous soon enough. (+50) GregElder will become famous soon enough. (+50) GregElder will become famous soon enough. (+50) GregElder will become famous soon enough. (+50) GregElder will become famous soon enough. (+50) GregElder will become famous soon enough. (+50) GregElder will become famous soon enough. (+50) GregElder will become famous soon enough. (+50) GregElder will become famous soon enough. (+50)

No, you can do cardio for 45 minutes and not burn muscle. It all depends on your Nutrition. Are you eating a good meal before, if it's intense cardio?(running) Are you eating a good meal right after?(Oats/Protein Shake, etc).

Nutrition is the key----you have to have good pre and post work out meals to keep and build muscle.

If you're doing something like fast walking, you could do 45 min. on an empty stomach, first thing in the morning and not lose muscle. (as long as you ate a good, solid meal right after). If you're running, etc., you need to eat pre and post
    Visit my 2005 Cutting thread, I'm going for 8-10% body fat! :

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=414595

188 (Usually) and 5'9

17 years old

my BF was 22.8% 2 months ago... check my sig.

ykdev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy Please help.

Im 22 yrs old. 6ft height weighing 65kgs. My workout is heavy the prob with me is I hav alotta fat concentrated in my lower abdominal region. I love playing football (soccer) but some trainers at my gym told me to stop it as it will cause muscle loss. M looking at having a lean physique. Not anythin bulky. Apart from that I am a vegan n sadly stayinh jn india so if some1 can suggest me some kindda diet that would b lovely. Please tell me hos long I can play football n how often in a week. Enough to have fatloss but not muscle loss m currently using ultimate whey prostar 4 scoops a day.

Please help.