Closed Thread
Page 3 of 100 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast
    jkygogo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hi, I just tried Yerba Mate in tea bags,

Hi, I just tried Yerba Mate in Tea bags. To be honest, I didn't really feel much energy enhancement. I was expecting alot of energy like I get when I drink caffeine or coffee, but I didn't feel it. In fact I put 3 tea bags in and still not much effect. But I also ordered the looose Yerba Mate and the bombilla and Gourd. I hope that is stronger and I get more of an effect. I'll let you know how it goes.

J.

P.S. I'm still curious about the tolerance issue. Can you build a tolerance on Yerba Mate like you do with Coffee?

Thanks.

J.

j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Weight loss and delayed gastric emptying following a South American herbal preparation in overweight patients.

Andersen T, Fogh J.

Department of Ultrasound, Medical Center Charlottenlund, Trunnevangen 4A, DK 2920, Charlottenlund, Denmark.

BACKGROUND: Obesity and overweight may soon affect more than half of the population in some regions of the world and are associated with diabetes, hypertension and other diseases that cause morbidity, mortality and high health-care expenditure. No one approach, whether dietetic management, medication, or commercial weight loss programme, can alone solve the problem--all potential treatments need to be investigated and exploited. Among the herbal preparations known to non-western cultures are materials which may have applications in modulating physiological processes which influence gut motility, food intake and energy balance. One such mixed herbal preparation is 'YGD' containing Yerbe Mate (leaves of Ilex paraguayenis), Guarana (seeds of Paullinia cupana) and Damiana (leaves of Turnera diffusa var. aphrodisiaca). AIMS: This study had two distinct aims: to determine the effect of a herbal preparation 'YGD' containing Yerbe Mate, Guarana and Damiana on gastric emptying; to determine the effect of the same preparation on weight loss over 10 days and 45 days and weight maintenance over 12 months. METHODS: Gastric emptying was observed using ultrasound scanning in seven healthy volunteers following YGD and placebo capsules taken with 420 mL apple juice. Body weight was observed before and after 10 days of treatment with three YGD capsules or three placebo capsules before each meal for 10 days in 44 healthy overweight patients attending a primary health care centre. Forty-seven healthy overweight patients entered a double-blind placebo-controlled parallel trial of three capsules of YGD capsules before each main meal for 45 days compared with three placebo capsules on body weight. Body weight was monitored in 22 patients who continued active (YGD capsules) treatment for 12 months. RESULTS: The herb preparation YGD was followed by a prolonged gastric emptying time of 58 +/- 15 min compared to 38 +/- 7.6 min after placebo (P = 0.025). Body weight reductions were 0.8 +/- 0.05 kg after YGD capsules compared to 0.3 +/- 0.03 kg after placebo capsules over 10 days, and 5.1 +/- 0.5 kg after PGD capsules compared to 0.3 +/- 0.08 kg after placebo over 45 days. Active treatment with YGD capsules resulted in weight maintenance of the group (73 kg at the beginning and 72.5 kg at the end of 12 months). CONCLUSIONS: The herbal preparation, YGD capsules, significantly delayed gastric emptying, reduced the time to perceived gastric fullness and induced significant weight loss over 45 days in overweight patients treated in a primary health care context. Maintenance treatment given in an uncontrolled context resulted in no further weight loss, nor weight regain in the group as a whole. The herbal preparation is thus shown to be one that significantly modulates gastric emptying. Further clinical studies with dietetic monitoring of energy intake, dietary quality, satiety ratings, body weight and body composition are now indicated, and examination of the active principles contained in the three herbal components may prove rewarding.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=11424516
    $157 billion creates 650,000 jobs = $240,000 cost to create or save 1 job

CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by jkygogo
    Hi, so can you build up a tolerance like you can with coffee? Or does this not come into play? That would be great if a tolerance can't be built up with this.
    J.
    Been drinking it over a year... No tolerance... Still reaping benefits without any negative sides...

Where did you end up ordering your loose Mate, yerba, and Bombilla from? Also, what brand yerba did you get.

Dont worry if you didnt see anything from the tea.
    I wouldnt expect you tea. Teabags are made to taste good, it isnt sh.t compared to the traditional way to drink Mate. Dont worry, it will be strong enough for you... You will see results, exactly what, and to what degree, remains to be seen, as all people are different.

The point is you are trying it... I really hope that it is everythign that you hoped it to be, and that you enjoy it as much as I do (along with millions of other people around the world)

Let us know when you get your stuff!

CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000) CitadelArmyJAG is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by j_neatherlin
    Thanks a lot for your post. I know there are several pharmaceutical companies studying the stuff. Whereas it does show that the product is not bunk, which is good... it does worry me that it would be targeted for regulation. Big drug companies dont usually like to share the good stuff with the masses for a fair price. Nothing like a good old fashioned monopoly.

The_New_Me has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    But I also ordered the looose Yerba Mate and the bombilla and Gourd. I hope that is stronger and I get more of an effect. I'll let you know how it goes.

J.
    where did you order the bomibilla and gourd from??

Originally Posted by The_New_Me
    where did you order the bomibilla and gourd from??
    You can always try Ebay, but I think the cheapest source out there is AmigoFoods.com As always, if you find a cheaper source, then post it.... This site isnt about promoting any company or particular brand. I just want people look for results to find it in a cheap, effective, and healthy source... try www.amigofoods.com See what you think of their prices.

fatsac has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fatsac has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fatsac has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fatsac has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fatsac has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I live in Dallas and Fiesta Supermarket caries a lot of latin american groceries and i was told that they have bags of yerba for cheap. I'm going to stop by after work and pick up some. I'll reply back with the goods.

gutcheck is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gutcheck is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gutcheck is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gutcheck is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gutcheck is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gutcheck is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gutcheck is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gutcheck is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gutcheck is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gutcheck is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gutcheck is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    OK, got the tea bags today (horrible image)...

Anyway, I've been to the thown like four times. Is this stuff poop juice? Is this normal?

Originally Posted by gutcheck

Anyway, I've been to the thown like four times. Is this stuff poop juice? Is this normal?
    Yikes... Unless you ate the teabags, I dont think the Mate had anythign to with it. One of its most accepted benefits is for its gastro-intestinal benefits. Maybe you just got a bug...

the Epicurean bodybuilder A.FreeRadical's Avatar
    Location: Away from arbitrary power. "Freedom is the emancipation from the arbitrary rule of other men." ~ Mortimore J. Adler
    A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

I got tea bags at the Vitamin Shoppe. I have had no problems with digestion. I also bought a jar of instant Yerba Mate. I use that with double the dose, no problems with that either.

aA.FreeRadical a
    Visit my 8 week cutting journal. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=382697
    Jun. 2004
    Neck 16.5" Shoulders 49" Biceps 14.5" Chest 42" Waist 37" Hips 39" Thighs 21"....5' 9" tall 184 lbs bf 18%

July 2007
    Neck 17" Shoulders 50" Biceps 16" Chest 44" Waist 34" Hips 38" Thighs 23"..... 5' 9" tall 189 lbs 19% bf

Hi, I got the Yerba Mate from Eco Teas Organic

Hi, I got the Yerba Mate and the whole set with Eco Teas Organic, the Bombilla, the Tea (1 pound), the Gourd, a sample tea bag, and sticker and brochure for $25. Just decided to get it all in one set. I am "curing" the gourd now. It says I have to cure it for 2 days, then I can try it.
    I'll give it a try and tell you how it goes.

Take care.

J.

fatsac has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fatsac has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fatsac has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fatsac has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fatsac has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Thumbs up

I went to Fiesta Supermarket and picked up 1kilo (2.2lbs) of the 100% loose leaf yerba (Cruz de Malta brand) for $2.99. I'd find it at one of these latino grocery stores, the gringo stores jack up the price for the weak teabags. It was on the shelf next to the Virgin Mary candles in a jar so I guess she's down with yerba too. I made mine in my espresso machine and it was damn easy. Put 2 tablespoons in and made 3 cups. I had 2 before i worked out and my girlfriend had one. The taste is decent but after 4 cups in 2 days i could drink it all day. It did give me some energy but i'm used to drinking coffee or other high energy pre workout drinks so i'll have to get used to it. But so far i am very pleased with it and plan on drinking a few cups every day.

Originally Posted by fatsac
    I went to Fiesta Supermarket and picked up 1kilo (2.2lbs) of the 100% loose leaf yerba (Cruz de Malta brand) for $2.99. I'd find it at one of these latino grocery stores, the gringo stores jack up the price for the weak teabags. It was on the shelf next to the Virgin Mary candles in a jar so I guess she's down with yerba too. I made mine in my espresso machine and it was damn easy. Put 2 tablespoons in and made 3 cups. I had 2 before i worked out and my girlfriend had one. The taste is decent but after 4 cups in 2 days i could drink it all day. It did give me some energy but i'm used to drinking coffee or other high energy pre workout drinks so i'll have to get used to it. But so far i am very pleased with it and plan on drinking a few cups every day.
    I am really pleased to hear you are enjoying it.... Espresso machines make good Mate... Might I suggest for a bigger boost, instead of using 3 tablespoons, pump up the amount. Most South Americans fill their wooden cup or gourd 3/4s of the way with Mate, and then add water to that. Basically, you are probably looking at around 1/2 a cup to 3/4s a cup of yerba going into the first infusion... You are drinking 3 cups from 2 tablespoons. You can imagine how much stronger that would be. I think, if you tried it that way, you would find it to actually be much stronger than anything else you have tried before. The thing you have to remember about Mateine, the xanthine in Yerba, is that you wont "feel it" the same way that you can feel ephedra or caffeine, as they are different xanthines, and therefore have different properties and effects.

One of the reasons Mate is so highly regarded is because of its role as a powerful stimulant, minus the jittery, hyper-nervousness feelings that we usually associate with stimulants from our past experiences with other xanthines.

Once again, I am glad you tried it and that it is working well for you.
    Great price on the yerba by the way.... I wish we had a damn latino grocery around here (Ohio.) Oh well, at least I only have to drive an hour to get to the Arnold Classic... Cheers!

Jaime1985 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    As for anyone from the U.K looking to buy some of this stuff then check out these pages:
    http://www.mercadoargentino.com/
    http://www.riohealth.co.uk

Its really cheap stuff ya know...
    And thanks to CitadelArmyJAG for bringing this subject up, its been an interesting read

James
    Too fast for ya!!

JDILLER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

yerba mate in capsule form?

can i buy this in the 450mg capsule form? how many should i take a day? with food or without? i dont want to bother with all of this "tea making" stuff...that sounds too complicated...thanks!

http://www.the******************/browse/sku_detail.jhtml;$sessionid$4GTF5FLTBCQO0CQUAOWSM4 QKCQB1AGXK?SkuID=148370&BreadCrumbType=SearchResul t

cut and paste this link into your url for the vitame shoppe link
    Winners do what losers don't want to.

pills v. tea

Originally Posted by JDILLER
    can i buy this in the 450mg capsule form? how many should i take a day? with food or without? i dont want to bother with all of this "tea making" stuff...that sounds too complicated...thanks!

http://www.the******************/browse/sku_detail.jhtml;$sessionid$4GTF5FLTBCQO0CQUAOWSM4 QKCQB1AGXK?SkuID=148370&BreadCrumbType=SearchResul t

cut and paste this link into your url for the vitame shoppe link
    I understand where you are coming from, as some people simply do not like or want to drink tea. I checked out your link, and although I have never taken yerba mate in pill form, here are my thoughts on the subject.

First, if you want to buy it in a pill form, you are going to be doing so from a supplement company, which means that it is going to be dramatically marked up. Take the product you just posted on that link. In total, if you add up the amount in all of the little pills.... it has 45 grams and costs $8.00. A 1 kilo bag (2.2 pounds) of Yerba mate costs $2.99, and has 1000 grams. The SAME product, put in a pill and sold by a supplement company, has been marked up 180 times the standard price!!! I am not getting ripped off like that to avoid drinking tea.

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly to those who dont care about the cost markups cited in reason one, is the amount. When you drink yerba Mate, you put about a half a cup of yerba in the wooden cup or gourd. A half a cup vs. 2 tiny pills. I am positive that the trivial amount taken in two tiny pills could only provide a modicum of the results that tea would provide, that is assuming that the pills would give any results at all.

The metal straws you drink Mate through have a little strainer on the end of it to avoid you from sucking up the leaves. However, the tiny particulates (and a bag of loose mate is full of them) go right up through the straw without you feelign them in your mouth. I am positive that you actually would injest MUCH MUCH MUCH more Yerba Mate just from drinking the tea, than actually taking a solid pill. I think, being that the pills provide such a tiny amount, that it would just work as a placebo if anything.

My last, and most simple, reason is that I enjoy drinking the tea. Despite what I have already said, if you do decide to buy the pills and take them... do us a favor and post what you think of them. Until then, you will find me sipping away. Cheers

gutcheck is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gutcheck is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gutcheck is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gutcheck is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gutcheck is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gutcheck is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gutcheck is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gutcheck is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gutcheck is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gutcheck is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gutcheck is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Man, I LIKE THIS STUFF!

I don't know if it is the tea, but I have no appitite, at all. Which is OK, because I'm still eating my 6 a day, but I don't feel carb withdrawls or anything. Also, much better then coffee for the morning pick me up.

The poop thing. I think what was going on with me is I just got back from a 3 week EU march, so I must be setteling in back home, if ya know what I mean. Everyone feel free to barf now.

Man, I LIKE THIS STUFF!
    I don't know if it is the tea, but I have no appitite, at all. Which is OK, because I'm still eating my 6 a day, but I don't feel carb withdrawls or anything. Also, much better then coffee for the morning pick me up.
    Thank God your cured... my next suggestion was to give yourself a Mate enema.... Now whose barfing????

Why is there a need to cure the Gourd?

I'm just curious why the need to cure the Gourd? And for 2 days? Is there a reason?

Thanks.

J.

Reno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Anyone in Australia got hold of any? If so, where did u purchase from?
    To get what you have never had, you must do what you have never done.

Evil prevails when good men do nothing.

I'm just curious why the need to cure the Gourd? And for 2 days? Is there a reason?

Thanks.

J.

The first thing you have to remember about Mate is that it has been highly ritualized by its drinkers, much in the same fashion as the japanese with their tea. So, why people do what they do may just be a matter of habit and tradition.

That being said, however, I believe that curing the gourd does serve a purpose. The gourd's inner surface, after being cured, is cleaned by the two day soaking and absorbs the mate into its walls. By curing it this way, you avoid any of the flavor or particulates of the gourd leaching into your yerba. I have cured all my Mate's and it is worth doing, though you probably dont have to wait a FULL two days if you are getting impatient.

Lastly, its not just the gourds people cure, as they do the same thing with their wooden cups, which leads me again to believe that it is to avoid any flavor of the wood or material from leaching into your yerba.

Hope this helped...

Originally Posted by A.FreeRadical
    I got tea bags at the Vitamin Shoppe. I have had no problems with digestion. I also bought a jar of instant Yerba Mate. I use that with double the dose, no problems with that either.
    Mate actually is really supposed to hope with your digestion.

FreeRadical, I was just wondering about your instant Mate; I have never even heard of it before. You just put the powder into hot water and vwalaaa? What do you think about the results your getting from it? I am really interested to hear your thoughts and opinion about it, and Mate in general.

Ps. I have enjoyed reading your cutting post... reps your way; not that you seem to need them! Cheers

the Epicurean bodybuilder A.FreeRadical's Avatar
    Location: Away from arbitrary power. "Freedom is the emancipation from the arbitrary rule of other men." ~ Mortimore J. Adler
    A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by CitadelArmyJAG
    Mate actually is really supposed to hope with your digestion.

FreeRadical, I was just wondering about your instant Mate; I have never even heard of it before. You just put the powder into hot water and vwalaaa? What do you think about the results your getting from it? I am really interested to hear your thoughts and opinion about it, and Mate in general.

Ps. I have enjoyed reading your cutting post... reps your way; not that you seem to need them! Cheers
    Yeah, the instant mate is just ground up yerba with a little stevia. I use a heaping teaspoon in hot water. It is dark and it is strong.

I like it, I can't say it has done a lot for me yet. I was down to one coffee per day. Now I don't even drink that. I still drink a couple of cups of green tea per day. When this instant yerba is gone, I'll buy a couple of pounds of the regular and see what I think.

aA.FreeRadical a
    Visit my 8 week cutting journal. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=382697
    Jun. 2004
    Neck 16.5" Shoulders 49" Biceps 14.5" Chest 42" Waist 37" Hips 39" Thighs 21"....5' 9" tall 184 lbs bf 18%

July 2007
    Neck 17" Shoulders 50" Biceps 16" Chest 44" Waist 34" Hips 38" Thighs 23"..... 5' 9" tall 189 lbs 19% bf

holdie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) holdie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) holdie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) holdie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) holdie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) holdie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) holdie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) holdie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) holdie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) holdie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) holdie is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    if anyone doesn't like the taste i find that its good with some skim milk and a couple packets splenda mixed in

MyIronLung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MyIronLung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hahah this is awesome - i just got back from buenos aires and i brought home a ton of mate - - i even got myself a guord with Che Guevarra's icon.
    i liked the taste of it - had no idea it had such good properties.

So what's the deal with the guord tho - - don't you have to prepare it before you can use it? like leave the mate in there for a few days? could you describe the process?

MyIronLung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MyIronLung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    curing the guord:

i saw the description up top well... do you have to have water and yerba leaves together while it's curing or just the mate itself?

my guord is kinda grimy - should i wash it first before puttin in the yerba?

also - what's the suggested dosage? i take my mate, filling it 3/4 the way and i always just add hot water until i'm done. how many times u think i should refil? how many times a day?

che... gracias

I have questions about preparing Traditional Yerba Mate.

Hi, I have question about preparing Traditional Yerba Mate.

1. After you pour the Cold Water in, I'm confused about the Hot Water part. How much hot water exactly do you put in? If I'm not mistaken, do you just fill in enough hot water so the top of the Yerba is kept dry?

2. Also, after filling in the hot water, do you let it sit there for a while? Of can you start drinking right after you fill it with hot water? Because if you wait 4 or 5 minutes, won't the Yerba soak up all the hot water? When can I start drinking the Yerba for the stronger flavor?

3. Also, You just put more hot water in after you barely get in more liquid and get more air instead?

4. Will filling the Gourd half way last you the whole day? Or do I have to keep filling it at least twice a day?

Thanks.

J.

1. After you pour the Cold Water in, I'm confused about the Hot Water part. How much hot water exactly do you put in? If I'm not mistaken, do you just fill in enough hot water so the top of the Yerba is kept dry?

You just put a tiny bit of cold water in to wet the leaves a little bit. You dont fill the entire gourd by any means. I dont even do this step.

2. Also, after filling in the hot water, do you let it sit there for a while? Of can you start drinking right after you fill it with hot water? Because if you wait 4 or 5 minutes, won't the Yerba soak up all the hot water? When can I start drinking the Yerba for the stronger flavor?

I let it sit for maybe 20-30 seconds so that the leaves may soak up the water and swell. That way, they wont sip right up the straw. Dont wait so long to drink it. The yerba soaking up the water wont be the problem, it will just get cold, which I dont like. I dont know exactly what you mean by "when can I start drinkingthe mate for the stronger flavor." If you mean a stronger flavored brand, whenever you want. If you are asking if there is a way to prepare it so it is stronger... nope.

3. Also, You just put more hot water in after you barely get in more liquid and get more air instead?

As soon as you are sucking air, ie the water is gone, refill the mate with fresh water and keep drinking. You can do this all day long, though the infusion will obviously get weaker as all the "good stuff" is leached out of the leaves. To avoid this, some people drink mate in the following way:
    a. Put the bombilla in the bottom of the mate cup.
    b. Fill the Mate 3/4 of the way with yerba.
    c. Tilt the mate diagonally so that the yerba inside groups to one side, ie is higher up the side of one side of the cup and lower on the other. Another example, so the leaves inside look like this \, rather than this -.
    d. When you put some hot water in the mate, dont get all the leaves wet. Pour it into the half of the cup where the leaves are lower, and dont fill it all the way, as to only wet some of the leaves. Keep filling the mate to this level until you feel those leaves have lost their potency.
    e. Then, start to fill the mate a little higher everytime, so as to wet more leaves, thereby adding their potency to the infusion. Keep doing this until all the leaves are wet and you are filling the entire mate with water.

For me, I dont care about doing any of the above. I fill the entire Mate every time I repour water. It stays strong for hours, and if I want something stronger I just make another fresh infusion with new leaves. You can do this, or you can just drink the same infusion all day long, which I also often do, as the mate stays a powerful stimulant and appetite depressant, even in a weakened state.

4. Will filling the Gourd half way last you the whole day? Or do I have to keep filling it at least twice a day?

Depends how strong you want it. It is purely a matter of preference. As I said above, sometimes I make 2 infusions a day, and sometimes I just drink the same one all day long. See what works for you.

ENJOY....

I forgot about this site. I posted it once before, but it has a detailed explanation with pictures of how to prepare, serve, and drink Yerba Mate in the traditional way. http://www.yerbamate.com/Page.asp?ID=16

As I have said before, I dont drink it exactly this way. I just fill the entire Mate and wet all teh leaves at once, and then I just refill it as it empties. See what you like. Let me know if this site is helpful.

P.S. The link is good for information purposes only IMHO, as their yerba is really overpriced.

Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Liquid is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    im ordering some
    looking forward to trying this stuff!

question, how fast do u go through a 2.2 lb bag?