aland87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Working out without a gym.

Okay, I'm not a casual visitor or anything. But I've seen a lot of before/after pictures, and I feel pretty anxious to ask this question. Some of the things you people have done with your bodies, quite frankly, wows me. I'm 5'11 1/2 and 166 pounds, which is basically medium-sized, but I have little to no muscle at age 20. I do NOT have access to a gym nearby, and I've looked around. The most prominent thing I've noticed is that almost everyone on this forum is committed to going to the gym hours at a day, and I don't have one near me, I've looked.

So what I'm wondering is: if I were to make the jump into exercising, bought protein shakes and all that jazz, and I committed myself to doing situps/pushups/free weights without the aid of a gym and all of its exercises, would it still be worth it? Would I be able to get into decent shape?

I realize that a gym has all of these machines designed to specifically work certain muscles, and that I'd get there much faster with its aid, but as previously stated, I don't have one and can't afford all of the home equipment.

Thanks,
    AD

SmallGuy101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SmallGuy101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SmallGuy101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SmallGuy101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SmallGuy101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SmallGuy101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SmallGuy101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SmallGuy101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SmallGuy101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SmallGuy101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SmallGuy101 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    listen man, if u got the dedication and motivation and want to transform ur body, u dont need to go to a gym. since ur willing to pay for a membership to the gym, i beleive that you are willing to buy workout equipment for your home.

what you can do is buy a basic home- gym type of thing for a few hundred. free weights as well. workout with your home weights and run outside for cardio.

there is nothing special about the gym, weights r weights, it doesnt matter where u lift them.

pushups pullups and situps are great, but it will be very hard for you to gain a lot of mass with them.

if you start to get real serious lifting weights at home, get one of ur buddies to come by for heavier lifts and workout with u.

u dont need all them fancy machines to get huge. basic excercises will transform u as well as those "special" machines.
    check this out

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nQAh7m4xsMo

this guy works out at his home and is diesel!

SmallGuy101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SmallGuy101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SmallGuy101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SmallGuy101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SmallGuy101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SmallGuy101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SmallGuy101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SmallGuy101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SmallGuy101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SmallGuy101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SmallGuy101 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

i realise that a home gym costs alot (supposedly) but its money well spent.
    a good home gym will rest you for the rest of ur life, and you wont ever need to pay for a gym membership.

you just have to decide weather (if) u buy one are u going to be consistent and dedicated and use it to reach your goals? or r u gonna use it for a month and quit bc u dont c the results u hoped for?

if u really want to transform ur body and are willing to put in the work and time, buying a home gym is definatly worth it.

hammer234231 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    From personal experience, I felt that all you need to get a great workout is a few dumbells,a bench, a barbell, and just a simple pulley system. That is usually an all in one package and can come pretty cheap. You don't need to use fancy machines to get big, the basics is where its at. Before you buy the weights, you can get a great base by doing workouts with household items. Pushups are definitely bread and butter, as well are crunches. If you have chairs of the same height, you can do dips on them which are great for triceps. You can take a mop handle and stretch it over those chairs, you wil then lie on the ground, grip the mop in an overhand grip and just pull yourself up as in a reverse push up motion. This is great for your back and bis. Also if you have anything like a bar nearby that you can do pullups on will also benefit you greatly. Try these and I'm sure you will have a headstart on weight training.

fatstrings has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

Originally Posted by hammer234231 View Post
    Also if you have anything like a bar nearby that you can do pullups on will also benefit you greatly.
    I work out at home too.

To elaborate on the above point, if you have a basement, garage, attic, anything with some sturdy overhead rafters, you can pick up at Home Depot/Lowes a thick (1.5" to 2" in diameter) wooden dowel rod to lay between the rafters for chins/pull-ups.

You could also use a straight barbell with no plates on either side. The latter of the two being safer, depending on your bodyweight, of course. You wouldn't want the wood to shatter mid-pull! Plus with the barbell, you get the added benefit of the knurling to assist your grip.

I actually have one laying across the top of my attic where the pull-down stair case goes when not in use. It works great, and is probably the best $3.00 I've spent on "gym" equipment, next to the $2.00 chalk I scored the other day.

Believe me, proper motivation and determination will guide you to seek out the best methods possible for your particular situation... Perhaps the reason you came here to ask the pros!
    Judge me all you want by my number of posts or "rep power." I may be a noob, but I do know how to USE THE SEARCH!

I will bend the red nail. mydamnself's Avatar
    mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Gyms in my opinion are breeding weakness in the modern American Male.
    Check out this site http://www.hard-style.com
    Read my e-book in the link below,
    and if you want to get into more detail send me a pm.
    RKC Instructor
    ---
    Turkish Get Up- 100 lbs.
    5 minute 32 kilo kettlebell snatch test- 68 reps.
    Pistol- 40 kg.
    20 60D nails and 10 Gr2 bolts bent in 20 minutes.
    ---
    I don't haunt this forum. If you say something and I don't reply, I'm not here. If it's important, PM me.

www.averagetoelite.com

Elivo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    adding onto this thread just a bit here, whats your guys thoughts on a bowflex home gym.

Do they work well as far as being able to do the stuff you need to do to get the size and shape you want?

I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I-beam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Elivo View Post
    adding onto this thread just a bit here, whats your guys thoughts on a bowflex home gym.

Do they work well as far as being able to do the stuff you need to do to get the size and shape you want?
    http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=56412&tid=
    "-and one time I was accused of holding satanic orgies.

Unfortunately this was not true." -Jim Wendler

patelucr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) patelucr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) patelucr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) patelucr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) patelucr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) patelucr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) patelucr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) patelucr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) patelucr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) patelucr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) patelucr is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    this is a real work about bro. http://youtube.com/watch?v=b641jiO8bS4

NDiNardo will become famous soon enough. (+50) NDiNardo will become famous soon enough. (+50) NDiNardo will become famous soon enough. (+50) NDiNardo will become famous soon enough. (+50) NDiNardo will become famous soon enough. (+50) NDiNardo will become famous soon enough. (+50) NDiNardo will become famous soon enough. (+50) NDiNardo will become famous soon enough. (+50) NDiNardo will become famous soon enough. (+50) NDiNardo will become famous soon enough. (+50) NDiNardo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by aland87 View Post
    Okay, I'm not a casual visitor or anything. But I've seen a lot of before/after pictures, and I feel pretty anxious to ask this question. Some of the things you people have done with your bodies, quite frankly, wows me. I'm 5'11 1/2 and 166 pounds, which is basically medium-sized, but I have little to no muscle at age 20. I do NOT have access to a gym nearby, and I've looked around. The most prominent thing I've noticed is that almost everyone on this forum is committed to going to the gym hours at a day, and I don't have one near me, I've looked.

So what I'm wondering is: if I were to make the jump into exercising, bought protein shakes and all that jazz, and I committed myself to doing situps/pushups/free weights without the aid of a gym and all of its exercises, would it still be worth it? Would I be able to get into decent shape?

I realize that a gym has all of these machines designed to specifically work certain muscles, and that I'd get there much faster with its aid, but as previously stated, I don't have one and can't afford all of the home equipment.

Thanks,
    AD
    You can get into shape at home. I definitely recommend some type of chinning bar for pull-ups. You can do dips by using a couple chairs. Chopping wood is hard core cardio IMO. Concrete blocks can be used. Be creative, the possibilities are endless. I'd take a good set of free weights/barbell over a machine any day.

The Street Athlete Street Workout's Avatar
    Street Workout has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Street Workout has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Street Workout has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Street Workout has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Street Workout has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Street Workout has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Street Workout has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Street Workout has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Street Workout has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Street Workout has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Street Workout has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by aland87 View Post

Thanks,
    AD
    A whole website dedicated to bodyweight exercises.........http://www.streetworkout.com/
    WWW.STREETWORKOUT.COM
    ----ɯoɔ˙ʇnoʞɹoʍʇǝǝɹʇs˙ʍʍʍ----

jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    "Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret."

Training regularly but no progress?
    You need one or more of these: more food, more weight, more reps or more rest.

Check out: www.muscleandbrawn.com