drugzkill is on a distinguished road. (+10) drugzkill is on a distinguished road. (+10) drugzkill is on a distinguished road. (+10) drugzkill is on a distinguished road. (+10) drugzkill is on a distinguished road. (+10) drugzkill is on a distinguished road. (+10) drugzkill is on a distinguished road. (+10) drugzkill is on a distinguished road. (+10) drugzkill is on a distinguished road. (+10) drugzkill is on a distinguished road. (+10) drugzkill is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Help for Preparing for BUD/S

Currently, I am a DEP Recruit in the Navy. I have about 5-6 months left before I ship out, and I am trying to prepare myself the best way possible for Navy Seals Training.

I was making great gains for the past 4 months with a Total Body Workout 3 Times a week, but the workout started becoming 3 hours a session and was killer. (I know most would say 3 hours is too long to make gains, but it worked very well. Just was brutal)

I am looking for a new program to develop lots of muscle quick, but I also must remember that calestenics are extremely important in BUD/S (Navy Seal Training). In fact, the Navy Seals Preparation Guides keep on telling me to strictly to do large amount of calesentics such 20 sets of 30 pushups, 10 sets of 30 Dips, 20 sets of 30 situps, etc. But I really doubt that I can truly have strength gains through calesentics. Not unless any of you can tell me otherwise.

Some of the exercises I make great gains off of are Deadlifts, Military Press, Incline/Decline Bench, and Weighted Dips. I really need something to improve the Lat Strength.

According to the above information could any one give me some advice in making a program that will give me great gains especially in the Lats (Vertical Strength), and calestenic strength.

Thank You
    --------------------------
    I don't know my bench cause I never do flat bench
    Incline Bench 165*10
    Weighted Dips 55*15
    Deadlifts 205*12
    Military Press 115*10

I'm 175 pounds and I don't know my body fat, but I have well defined abs, so I assume its pretty low.

My diet is also very good. 2 protien shakes a day. All clean foods.
    And I do 20 mins on the treadmill 3 times a week. And swim 2-3 times a week for an hour.
    Last edited by drugzkill; 01-21-2005 at 04:42 PM.

You are not what you own. dookie1481's Avatar
    dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Here are a couple of posts from a thread on T-Mag:

Two of my former roommates are in the teams.

Avoiding injuries is a significant factor in completing BUD/S. In particular, injuries to the joints (ankles, knees, lower back, and shoulders) account for many of the medical drops. Both of my roommates extensively ?prehabed? before entering the program by focusing their weight room efforts on preparing their core, calves, and shoulders- the three areas most often neglected.

I understand that ?prehabing? is dull and time consuming; it doesn?t make you bigger, faster or much stronger; and you never know if it actually makes a difference. Both my roommates sacrificed their top-end strength and abilities, for endurance and injury prevention, however, and made it though BUD/S without any injury. In particular, they did the following:

1. They really developed their calves/ankles. Strong calves helped them (1) avoid ankle injuries and (2) minimized the stress on their knees and lower back. The stronger the calves, the less stress is transferred from the feet to the knees and lower back, especially in unstable (i.e., sandy) environments. Do not underestimate the injury-prevention advantage (regarding ankles and knees) of strong calves. I can testify as a former professional catcher to the relationship between strong calves and the absence of knee injuries, either from wear-and-tear or sudden trauma.

2. They trained the muscles which help keep the knee stable- essentially prehabing the knee. They didn?t simply do rehab exercises, however. They did lots of full-range, single leg squats and other balance exercises specifically designed to prevent knee injuries of all sorts in athletes (i.e., baseball catchers). Indeed, they sought out professional trainers for the best methods to prevent injuries (i.e., ligament tears) in the knees. I would advise you do the same.

3. They (over-)developed their core muscles; especially the abs and lower back. Among other things, they did a daily back-program, developed by S. McGill, to ensure their backs could take the daily abuse of BUD/S. (Don?t mistake absolute strength in the dead-lift or back extensions for endurance strength in the back). In other words, your abs or back should be the very last thing that gets tired or fails during a workout.

4. In addition to the swimming, they following a shoulder stabilizing program to ensure their shoulders could take they daily pounding. It was similar to the programs done by pitchers, gymnasts, and fencers. The emphasis was on (day-after-day) endurance, full-range of motion, and the ability to hold things (in any position) for long periods of time.
    They also made sure that there was no muscle imbalance between the their right and left shoulders. The goal is to make sure that your shoulders are the last thing that gives out at the end of the day.
    I had a few more thoughts...

1. In the same way that athletes train for the season, and not the pre-season, both of my roommates trained not just to complete BUD/S, but to be as close to SEAL-fitness levels before BUD/S. They consider being a SEAL a vocation, not just something to do for few years.

The idea behind their training was akin to that of Olympic athletes or people like Adam Archuleta: decide what you want to do, make a list of the physical attributes that you need be competitive, and develop those attributes according to a time-line (in other words, sport-specific periodization).

Approximately 2? years before they entered BUD/S, my roommates contacted guys in the teams to learn the performance standards typical of SEALs. Specifically, they wanted to know: (1) the endurance standards of the top SEALs (i.e., expected daily/weekly mileage for running, swimming); (2) typical performance numbers (i.e., one mile/ 5K run times, number of push-ups/pull-ups until fatigue, number of bench press reps at 225, etc...); and (3) other SEAL performance levels (i.e., VO2max, body fat%, ab/back strength). My roommates figured that they would be physically ready to be SEALs before they entered BUD/S if they could match those standards.

Next, and perhaps most importantly, my roommates then went to a high-end trainer to help them set-up a schedule that would get them as SEAL-fit as possible over the following 2? years. Specifically, my roommates wanted to train for: (1) day-to-day endurance (e.g., being able to run 5 miles in 30 minutes and swim 2 miles in 40 minutes, day after day, 5 days a week); (2) the top-end performance standards typical of SEALs (e.g., typical 1 mile time, number of reps at 225); (3) injury prevention (as mentioned before); and (4) SEAL-specific activities (swimming underwater, SCUBA diving). Both of my roommates understood that there is a difference, e.g., in training to run a very fast 10k and training to run three 10Ks a week or running a 10K after a full-days work.

My roommates followed this (somewhat complex) schedule designed to maximize gains (focusing on overall endurance and strength-endurance), minimize unproductive efforts and injuries, and have them at peak-levels just as BUD/S rolled around.

Specifically, because they knew the physical requirements (as well as the rule of specificity of training), my roommates didn't waste time on exercises or programs that would not help them becomes successful operators. For instance:

1. After developing the speed to run a 5-minute mile, my roommates worked on running consecutive 5-minute miles, or 5-minute miles in the sand rather trying to improve to a 4:30 mile. Indeed, 50-75% of their running was done in sand.

2. Once my roommates could do, e.g., 20 reps at 225 at the peak-times of their workout on their peak-days, they tried to do 20 reps at 225 on their worst days.

3. They did more deadlifts in the sand, on staggered surfaces, or on one-leg (using towels to pull-up on the bar) then they did in the weight room.

4. They spent 75% of their time swimming the ocean, 25% swimming in pools (for speed work).

5. Most of my roommates' weight room work (excluding push-ups, dips, and pull-ups) was done with muscle-balance and prehab in mind: lots of single-arm/leg work, emphasizing the weak parts, and typically full-range of motion.

6. Much of what my roommates lifted was done to emphasize their forearms (i.e., towel chins and biceps curls- not to mention the rope climbing).

I would encourage you to (1) learn both the endurance and performance standards typical of SEALS (not of BUD/S participants), and (2) find a top-end trainer to help you design a program and monitor your progress through that program. The more specfic your plan and training, the better your chances of (1) being a SEAL, and (2) living if you are a SEAL.

2. Some of my roommates' favorite training exercises were the carrying exercises: farmers walks, overhead farmers walks (at various arm-positions), hug-walks (imagine clutching a 120 pound heavy bag to your chest), and bent-arm carries (arms in mid-bicep curl position)- all done while walking on a variety of surface and inclines. This mimics the walking-while-carrying demands of life in the teams.

3. Finally, my roommates also spent time learning to swim under water and scuba dive. This makes BUD/S easier. They also made sure that their feet, hands, and other body-parts were positively sclerotic so as to avoid blisters and chaffing during BUD/S.
    From http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=490861
    "When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail."
    -Abraham Maslow

"Ass busting work + consistency + time = results.
    Burn that into your head and quit looking for quick fixes and secrets. Because they don't exist."
    -Lyle McDonald

"You can't overwhelm idiots with knowledge, but, sadly, the knowledgable can be overwhelmed by idiots."
    -Charlie Francis

drugzkill is on a distinguished road. (+10) drugzkill is on a distinguished road. (+10) drugzkill is on a distinguished road. (+10) drugzkill is on a distinguished road. (+10) drugzkill is on a distinguished road. (+10) drugzkill is on a distinguished road. (+10) drugzkill is on a distinguished road. (+10) drugzkill is on a distinguished road. (+10) drugzkill is on a distinguished road. (+10) drugzkill is on a distinguished road. (+10) drugzkill is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks Dookie. That was a lot of helpful information. The scary part is I have a limited amount of time, but I get a re-write soon. I was thinking about changing my Rate to something with a longer candiate school, in which I have more time to prepare, but either way I already have a Seals Challenge Contract and there's nothing I want to do more.

You are not what you own. dookie1481's Avatar
    dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by drugzkill
    Thanks Dookie. That was a lot of helpful information. The scary part is I have a limited amount of time, but I get a re-write soon. I was thinking about changing my Rate to something with a longer candiate school, in which I have more time to prepare, but either way I already have a Seals Challenge Contract and there's nothing I want to do more.
    Good luck, man.
    "When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail."
    -Abraham Maslow

"Ass busting work + consistency + time = results.
    Burn that into your head and quit looking for quick fixes and secrets. Because they don't exist."
    -Lyle McDonald

"You can't overwhelm idiots with knowledge, but, sadly, the knowledgable can be overwhelmed by idiots."
    -Charlie Francis

Believe to achieve IronBender800's Avatar
    IronBender800 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronBender800 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronBender800 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronBender800 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronBender800 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronBender800 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronBender800 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronBender800 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronBender800 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronBender800 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronBender800 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    My friend just joined the navy wanting to be a seal. All i can say is before you ship out make sure you have the seal challenge in your contract.

I would go out and pick up the complete guide to navy seal fitness by stew smith great book with insane workouts. Go check out your local book store for it.

beeler311 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beeler311 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beeler311 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beeler311 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beeler311 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beeler311 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beeler311 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beeler311 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beeler311 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beeler311 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beeler311 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    RUN!!! More than anything, just get out and run. Running 6 miles a day won't be uncommon. I have lots of friends that are SEALs and considered it myself. Run in boots. Swim. Endurance is more important than muscle.

toughnuts is on a distinguished road. (+10) toughnuts is on a distinguished road. (+10) toughnuts is on a distinguished road. (+10) toughnuts is on a distinguished road. (+10) toughnuts is on a distinguished road. (+10) toughnuts is on a distinguished road. (+10) toughnuts is on a distinguished road. (+10) toughnuts is on a distinguished road. (+10) toughnuts is on a distinguished road. (+10) toughnuts is on a distinguished road. (+10) toughnuts is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up

Good luck in Hell Week! Remember to have a good job as back-up if you don't make it. Its all about endurance. Man, is that water cold too. Run on the beach with boots, you will be doin lots of that in Coronado. Practice keeping your breath while wrestling or doing different things under water. Your mind will play tricks on you when you are in BUDS, but go with what your mindset was when you started. The sweetest sound will be the ringing of that bell, just make sure you dont do it!

GGarcia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey I really enjoyed your message there, it was informative. I was wondering were I can find these prehab exercises. If you have any other info it would be appreciated. Prehab sounds like a great thing to do to keep a long healthy lifestyle of fitness. Thanks

CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The write up from T-nation was perfect. I've worked with many SEALS over my years in the Navy (I was in submarines and now work for ONI), and all I can say is "Have fun with that"

Absolute strength won't mean much, but endurance certainly will.
    GoRuck Challenge Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150446113

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." -Edmund Burke

"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also." -Marcus Aurelius

dave0587 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by beeler311 View Post
    RUN!!! More than anything, just get out and run. Running 6 miles a day won't be uncommon. I have lots of friends that are SEALs and considered it myself. Run in boots. Swim. Endurance is more important than muscle.
    6miles? that just to chow haha the average is 16-18miles a day running

Darfus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Darfus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Darfus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Darfus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Darfus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Darfus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Darfus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Darfus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Darfus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Darfus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Darfus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I didn't read any of the posts because of a time issue, but I did 4 years training in Pararescue in the Air Force. I've trained with seals, rangers, etc. Honestly man, if you really want to maximize your chance of making it, muscle mass is almost nill. I feel like I might be shedding a secret here... but my course called Indoctrination when I went through in 2006 was extremely similar to BUDS.

Maximize Chances=Swimming, not just on the surface...... especially below, lots of underwater stuff and a copious amount of running and calisthenics..
    Do breath holding exercises everyday for as long as you can. An hour wouldn't be absurd. Basically be the jack of all trades as far as freediving training goes, running, gymnist, and swimming.

I wouldn't lift weights unless you're a naturally small guy and may seriously be lacking the strength to bear weight like another person on your shoulders or a rucksack on your back.
    Heavy lifting tends to make all of the other training I mentioned extremely difficult.
    GL.

Jackprevite has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Darfus View Post
    I didn't read any of the posts because of a time issue, but I did 4 years training in Pararescue in the Air Force. I've trained with seals, rangers, etc. Honestly man, if you really want to maximize your chance of making it, muscle mass is almost nill. I feel like I might be shedding a secret here... but my course called Indoctrination when I went through in 2006 was extremely similar to BUDS.

Maximize Chances=Swimming, not just on the surface...... especially below, lots of underwater stuff and a copious amount of running and calisthenics..
    Do breath holding exercises everyday for as long as you can. An hour wouldn't be absurd. Basically be the jack of all trades as far as freediving training goes, running, gymnist, and swimming.

I wouldn't lift weights unless you're a naturally small guy and may seriously be lacking the strength to bear weight like another person on your shoulders or a rucksack on your back.
    Heavy lifting tends to make all of the other training I mentioned extremely difficult.
    GL.
    Exactly.. being strong is only great to an extent. BUD/S is going to test your mental toughness as well as your body's ability to endure great amounts of physical wear over time. it's not about who can bench press x weight, or who can deadlift x, its who can go the distance, keep their head screwed on tight, and who won't give up. Forget about the weights and start doing body exercises, running and swimming.. a **** ton.

nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Strong bumps for a thread started six years ago

PS: Wish we knew how the OP's experience turned out...

bhouston77386 is not very well liked. (-100) bhouston77386 is not very well liked. (-100) bhouston77386 is not very well liked. (-100) bhouston77386 is not very well liked. (-100) bhouston77386 is not very well liked. (-100) bhouston77386 is not very well liked. (-100) bhouston77386 is not very well liked. (-100) bhouston77386 is not very well liked. (-100) bhouston77386 is not very well liked. (-100) bhouston77386 is not very well liked. (-100) bhouston77386 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Maybe try a cross fit gym, tell them what you are planning on doing and they would probably he happy to work your butt to the ground.