Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Question for those oof you that do squats and leg presses in the same workout.

Which way do you guys favor doing them...Squats, isolation exercise, leg presses -or- squats, leg presses, iso's?
    I can see the good in both. Squat and then leg press while strength is at its most.
    Or, squat, SLDL, and then leg presse because it allows the quads to rest. However, the SLDL will tire the hams and glutes before pressing. Which may be a negative being as how leg presses are a great compound to go heavy.

Just curious to some different theories.

Going for strong and lean jtroster's Avatar
    jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I use lower weight leg presses to warm up before doign squats.
    Joel

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”

My 2014 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159562211

Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by jtroster
    I use lower weight leg presses to warm up before doign squats.
    Yeah, I do light leg extensions pre-squat.
    My question, though, pertains to exercising between two heavy compounds. And whether to throw an iso in for recovery or just slam the two together while strength is at its max.

In The Realm of Ooshwabla xenithon's Avatar
    xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Personally I have tried a number of variations including drop and supersets. I find the best has been to do a pre-exhaust: 2 sets of leg extensions, 15-20 reps (it seriously burns but warms the muscles up nicely). I found it particularly useful as it properly got blood flowing to the psoas which is what has been bugging me with squats (they were always tight). After the pre-exhaust, hit the squats, then the legpress. I can then just manage to finish off with something like lunges, hacksquat or farmers walk.

X

brakloes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brakloes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brakloes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brakloes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brakloes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brakloes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brakloes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brakloes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brakloes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brakloes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brakloes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

old fashion

I have always just warmed up with a few light squat....before going heavier. Then its leg press and then the iso's. <----complex-------easier--> that way when I am all light headed and ready to pass out I can sleep on the leg curl bench.....just roll me off if you wanna work through!

BritBoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BritBoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BritBoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BritBoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BritBoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BritBoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BritBoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BritBoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BritBoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BritBoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BritBoy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by brakloes
    I have always just warmed up with a few light squat....before going heavier. Then its leg press and then the iso's. <----complex-------easier--> that way when I am all light headed and ready to pass out I can sleep on the leg curl bench.....just roll me off if you wanna work through!
    Yup, thats exactly what I do. Squats are the cornerstone of my leg workout so I want to have them as fresh as possible to push myself hard.